Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They don't want an extension, Cork County Council offered to facilitate one but they declined.

Hence why I said no plans. Wasn't aware that CCC offered to facilitate, although what does that mean?

If you read the mess of a Facebook group, every post is screaming that the country's a disgrace because they don't have the extension in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

A 200 metre extension would get near full 737max and cs300 flights to east coast U.S.
    The DAA don't want that?
    Government don't want to develop a sustainable City to give foreign investors an alternative to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

CC offered to facilitate an extention.....jez an extention to the runway would do wonders for the airport...o well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Hence why I said no plans. Wasn't aware that CCC offered to facilitate, although what does that mean?

If you read the mess of a Facebook group, every post is screaming that the country's a disgrace because they don't have the extension in Cork.
    It was in the Cork Airport Special Local Area Plan that they would facilitate an extension. Declined is probably the wrong word.
    Planes are evolving all the time, an extension is probably not necessary in the long term.
    The Airport is flying it again, pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

It did but the point I am making to the previous poster is, if a flight is put between Cork and Dublin and indeed the M20 is built to Shannon.
    Then all that will occur is, Cork airport will loose international links and instead Cork people will have to use Dublin and Shannon.
    Has anyone noticed that a lot of the destinations served ex Cork, are cheaper ex Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

They don't want an extension, Cork County Council offered to facilitate one but they declined.

The CAA management are merely puppets, and will remain so until they can get out of the DAA stranglehold. The DAA want to drive traffic to them in Dublin, so their not going to allow anything to interfere with that. We'd need a Cork Taoiseach, a Cork Transport Minister and a Cork Minister of Finance to even stand a chance. And even then ....

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Cork Airport seems to be doing OK. Not sure what benefit it would be to seperate it from the DAA, look what is happening in Shannon, decline again in numbers over the last few months. There are benefits to being part of a bigger entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

rebs23 wrote: »
    Cork Airport seems to be doing OK. Not sure what benefit it would be to seperate it from the DAA, look what is happening in Shannon, decline again in numbers over the last few months. There are benefits to being part of a bigger entity.

Yeah.... better to be on the inside looking out rather than the outside looking in!

You can't beat a monthly cheque in the post from Head Office to pay the wages! Sure - its nearly as good as being in the Public Service!

and last one..... The grass is not always greener on the other side!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

737max wrote: »
    A 200 metre extension would get near full 737max and cs300 flights to east coast U.S.
    The DAA don't want that?
    Government don't want to develop a sustainable City to give foreign investors an alternative to Dublin?

Theres at a guess from the maps, about 400m at the back of R17 they could extend, it slopes massively at the back of R17 through the fields down towards the road and emergency exit though, theres a house on the other side of the road there directly over the fligt path thats been boarded up for some time and has approach ligts in it so I'm assuming theyve bought that land too.

At the other end of R35, theres again, at a guess, about 100m of land they could extend without going onto a road.

Theres plenty of room for expansion if they have the money to do it. Dublins new runway is meant to cost over 300m which would see a new 3200metre runway built, if Cork is looking for something along the lines of 10-15% of that as an extension the cost to Cork would probably be 30-50m going off Dublins projections.

If you extend the runway R17, isn't there a real possibility that CAT II ILS would not be possible, rendering the airport U/S in the frequent low vis weather it experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm not clued in TBH, just spit balling figures from Maps and the rported cost of the Dublin build and trying to compare it with Cork without knowing the technical side of it fully. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Anyone know how the Cork Boston flights are really going? Will they stay? Have they being a success so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Anyone know how the Cork Boston flights are really going? Will they stay? Have they being a success so far?

Sshh you cant say boston here its providence lol.
    Seems to be one of the successful stories for the airport in recent times by accounts. Numerous flights were sold out. Will be interesting to see how they hold up. A lot of americans go on holidays off peak so numbers will be interesting for the autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

In our house we refer to it as Bovidence - fits well I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Seems to be one of the successful stories for the airport in recent times by accounts. Numerous flights were sold out. Will be interesting to see how they hold up. A lot of americans go on holidays off peak so numbers will be interesting for the autumn

Great stuff - hopefully success will continue and we can get in 1 or 2 flights a week to New York....I know there are other factors but just hoping!

Great stuff - hopefully success will continue and we can get in 1 or 2 flights a week to New York....I know there are other factors but just hoping!

Stewart*, although it's in New York state I suppose.

Norwegian appear to be finalising their summer schedule, if it's going to be announced for next summer I'd imagine it'd be announced soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Stewart*, although it's in New York state I suppose.

Norwegian appear to be finalising their summer schedule, if it's going to be announced for next summer I'd imagine it'd be announced soon.

They are monitoring the performance of the Max out of Cork at the moment before making a decision on New York, according to the evening echo at least

snotboogie wrote: »
    They are monitoring the performance of the Max out of Cork at the moment before making a decision on New York, according to the evening echo at least

I don't understand that really, airlines know what they need for takeoff distance, how much fuel they can take on board, and once you're at 36,000ft it doesn't matter if you're flying from Cork/Shannon/Dublin, I'd suggest they're looking more at the performance of Providence and using the "max performance from Cork" as a convenient line.

I don't understand that really, airlines know what they need for takeoff distance, how much fuel they can take on board, and once you're at 36,000ft it doesn't matter if you're flying from Cork/Shannon/Dublin, I'd suggest they're looking more at the performance of Providence and using the "max performance from Cork" as a convenient line.

Ya idk to be honest that's just what they reported yesterday

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Cork-to-New-York-flights-rely-on-new-aircraft-tests-88cdf5c7-fccc-4ad7-a5c7-54ee07f0d05b-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

If you extend the runway R17, isn't there a real possibility that CAT II ILS would not be possible, rendering the airport U/S in the frequent low vis weather it experiences?

Why so? Just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

But it's a new type of aircraft, they need confirmation that it'll do what it say's on the box.

Fabio wrote: »
    Why so? Just curious.

Terrain is often an issue for a ILS, for example in Southend they cannot put CAT II/III ILS on the runway due to a church in the way.

Now I'm not saying this IS the issue in Cork, however I'd think it's a fair possibility.

roundymac wrote: »
    But it's a new type of aircraft, they need confirmation that it'll do what it say's on the box.

They've been operating the aircraft from Dublin, Belfast and Edinburgh for a while, would this not give them their information?

Transfers at Schiphol from Cork with Aerlingus and KLM are now bookable in 2018.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    Transfers at Schiphol from Cork with Aerlingus and KLM are now bookable in 2018.

There was an advert about flying long haul with KLM from Cork Airport this morning (and Dublin), mentioning that the Cork-AMS leg would be operated by Aer Lingus. On 96FM

They've been operating the aircraft from Dublin, Belfast and Edinburgh for a while, would this not give them their information?
    No it would not, different conditions.

No it would not, different conditions.

How so? Can you explain further?

Short runway, cross wind, need I go on?

Short runway, cross wind, need I go on?

Yes, you do. Dublin has RWY16/34, shorter than Corks runway, which A330's use. Cross winds occur at every airports, it's not like Cork has a permanent 30kt crosswind, far from it.

I'm afraid you do have to go on, as I can't see why the aircraft would perform differently at Cork compared to Dublin or Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Yes, you do. Dublin has RWY16/34, shorter than Corks runway, which A330's use. Cross winds occur at every airports, it's not like Cork has a permanent 30kt crosswind, far from it.

I'm afraid you do have to go on, as I can't see why the aircraft would perform differently at Cork compared to Dublin or Belfast.

Good point. RWY17/35 doesn't suffer from crosswinds if the wind is blowing from the north west or the south east (very rarely). I took a look at a wind rose chart of Cork airport (30 year average) and the frequency of strong winds from the north west is only slightly less than the south west. So my point is having a runway orientated for south west cross winds will only give you a very small gain in cross wind protection for a huge cost of new runway. The number of cross wind diversions at a guess is probably well within international averages, but yet it is often commented on in forums.

At a guess, Norwegian will probably look at winter bookings at Cork as a factor before deciding on Stewart.

Advertisement