Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Southerly winds are quite common, at which the crosswind component is quite small. It's mainly WSW winds that cause the issues, although Stobart aircraft can still use RWY25, although that's beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Southerly winds are quite common, at which the crosswind component is quite small. It's mainly WSW winds that cause the issues, although Stobart aircraft can still use RWY25, although that's beside the point.

Yes true, according to the wind rose chart (on epa.ie 30 year average) the most powerful gusts (show stoppers) come roughly from NNW (suited to 17/35) and SSW (suited to 07/25). SSW is the most common but the difference in frequency between both is quite small.

Imo 17/35 is fine, is an extension even that necessary, especially with the arrival of the max and a321neo-lr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Yes, you do. Dublin has RWY16/34, shorter than Corks runway, which A330's use. Cross winds occur at every airports, it's not like Cork has a permanent 30kt crosswind, far from it.

I'm afraid you do have to go on, as I can't see why the aircraft would perform differently at Cork compared to Dublin or Belfast.
    I don't accecpt that, that only happened once IMO and has been used as gospel ever since.An A330 operating a flight Boston via SNN will take off from 16/34. We are talking about 73max flying the full distance to Stewart/New York.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Cork-to-New-York-flights-rely-on-new-aircraft-tests-88cdf5c7-fccc-4ad7-a5c7-54ee07f0d05b-ds
    ps://flyinginireland.com/2017/09/cork-airport-celebrates-beginning-of-737-max-services/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

A wednesday flight has just appeared for the Cork/Zurich route with Swiss with pricing comparable to Dublin.
    I've the family booked out for next June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭thomil

deRanged wrote: »
    A wednesday flight has just appeared for the Cork/Zurich route with Swiss with pricing comparable to Dublin.
    I've the family booked out for next June :)

Just checked, and spotted the same thing. So It's coming back Monday, Wednesday, and Friday next year, good news as far as I'm concerned. :)

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

thomil wrote: »
    Just checked, and spotted the same thing. So It's coming back Monday, Wednesday, and Friday next year, good news as far as I'm concerned. :)

Must check them out later short trip me thinks :)

roundymac wrote: »
    I don't accecpt that, that only happened once IMO and has been used as gospel ever since.An A330 operating a flight Boston via SNN will take off from 16/34. We are talking about 73max flying the full distance to Stewart/New York.

Completely wrong here.

It's very common when there's a strong southerly winds for wide-bodied jets (Mainly A330's) to use RWY16 for direct, non-stop flights to the US. No stop in Shannon. Sometimes they request RWY28/10, however many use RWY16 when it's in use, that's including the Emirates 777. Your information is very very wrong here. Happens several occasions each year, will point you to the next time it happens.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Completely wrong here.

It's very common when there's a strong southerly winds for wide-bodied jets (Mainly A330's) to use RWY16 for direct, non-stop flights to the US. No stop in Shannon. Sometimes they request RWY28/10, however many use RWY16 when it's in use, that's including the Emirates 777. Your information is very very wrong here. Happens several occasions each year, will point you to the next time it happens.
    Heavies are using 16/34 for takeoffs?

16/34 is shorter than Cork's runway. Why can't Cork handle transatlantic flights ?

marno21 wrote: »

16/34 is shorter than Cork's runway. Why can't Cork handle transatlantic flights ?

Very often when 16 is in use. Just ask over in A&A!

And your question is exactly my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

marno21 wrote: »

It does, Norwegian ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Swiss to resume Zurich on 9 May (around a month earlier) and increase from 2 to 3 weekly.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Swiss to resume Zurich on 9 May (around a month earlier) and increase from 2 to 3 weekly.

A brillant was about to ask was it an extended season. Increase frequency should help withbthe prices too.
    There are a number of companies in the region delighted with that as well.. Route has the potential to become a year round service. Handy enough for those travelling to northern Italy as well

Just now, EI105 DUB-JFK, an A330-300 (larger version) took off off RWY16 in Dublin.

Emirates 777-300 from Dubai about to land on RWY16 now too.

RWY16/34 is 2072m long (6798ft) compared to RWY17/35 at Cork which is 2133m (6998ft) long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Doesn't it all depend on weight? Cork has has 747s land and take off before but carrying reduced weight so runway length wasn't as much of an issue.
    The newer aircraft are lighter and more refined now too.

.red. wrote: »
    Doesn't it all depend on weight? Cork has has 747s land and take off before but carrying reduced weight so runway length wasn't as much of an issue.
    The newer aircraft are lighter and more refined now too.

Definitely depends on weight, however it's quite clearly perfectly economical for these aircraft to use the slightly shorter RWY16/34 in DUB, another reason why I don't accept that they're examining performance figures before deciding on Cork-Stewart.

I don't know the exact figures on what load they can carry so I can't comment specifically on it, but they must find 16 in DUB fine as they could just request RWY10 instead (as a delta has done this morning also).

And just as I type this EI137 DUB-BOS is about to takeoff on RWY16, another 330-300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Maybe it's all part of the charade some people think they are playing to get landing slots at Dublin? 

First spend 3 years lobbying for flights from Cork, then implement flights from Cork, Shannon and Belfast and then subsequently test Boeing Max from Cork. All for a few landing slots from an airport they already operate out of. :)

I'd imagine it was more to get the DOT licence for NAI!

Read on PPRuNe this evening that numbers are beginning to struggle a little after a great summer performance, but in Belfast the situation is absolutely dire (40 pax on yesterday's Stewart flight!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Read on PPRuNe this evening that numbers are beginning to struggle a little after a great summer performance, but in Belfast the situation is absolutely sure (40 load on yesterday's Stewart flight!)

Yes but you'd expect lower numbers at this time of year and going by Norwegians website, the Belfast flights have a lower uptake than Cork, Dublin or Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Read on PPRuNe this evening that numbers are beginning to struggle a little after a great summer performance, but in Belfast the situation is absolutely dire (40 pax on yesterday's Stewart flight!)

That Belfast thread is a mess, the source on the Cork thread is the same guy who spent 12 months saying Norwegian would never fly from Cork and had never planned to fly from Cork. Maybe he has some inside track on bookings but he has been wrong every time he has posted speculation on that thread so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Swiss will double capacity on Cork/Zurich, according to the examiner.

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    Swiss will double capacity on Cork/Zurich, according to the examiner.

Discussed on the page before.

Reports verona will have an extra flight next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

6% growth for September

Will be interesting to see the CSO figures for KEF into the summer, Icelandair have just announced a 6x weekly service on a 757-200 so there's clearly a sizable Icelandic market in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Will be interesting to see the CSO figures for KEF into the summer, Icelandair have just announced a 6x weekly service on a 757-200 so there's clearly a sizable Icelandic market in Ireland.

They averaged about 80 per flight out, it was as low as mid 60s a few times and rarely over 100. All on a flight with 170/180 seats.
    I really thought it was a route that would do very, very well but it ended up being one of the worst performing routes in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

.red. wrote: »
    They averaged about 80 per flight out, it was as low as mid 60s a few times and rarely over 100. All on a flight with 170/180 seats.
    I really thought it was a route that would do very, very well but it ended up being one of the worst performing routes in the last few years.

In all fairness, they should have started it or at least continued it during Northern Lights season, as in now, which is the season when most tend to visit Iceland.

They also were continuously overpriced for their US routes, like ridiculously overpriced. €800+ most of the time when compared to a direct Are Lingus or other full carrier flight would be about half the price including checked luggage, food, entertainment etc. Wow were only giving you a tiny backpack for the base price! It was a very strange pricing system indeed.

The only decent prices I had gotten from them were during sale periods, and the last few flights from Cork this month were priced around €35 each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

What are the chances of flights to frankfurt ever happening ??? Lots of choice for connections from there .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

yogmeister wrote: »
    What are the chances of flights to frankfurt ever happening ??? Lots of choice for connections from there .

Cork really could do with a daily service, or two, to Frankfurt. Similar to the Amsterdam service.

yogmeister wrote: »

Unlikely given the weekly Shannon connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

From Aer Lingus summer 2018 release:
    Out of Cork, we will offer new summer flights to Gran Canaria and increased capacity to Alicante (35% more flights), Barcelona (10% more flights) and Malaga (15% more flights).

Advertisement