Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

4% growth for October, very close to the 200k mark at 197,300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Flights for 2 people return to Barca in April through Cork costing 580....Same flights on same day costing 180 through Dublin....

I hate flying out of Dublin but that is too much of a difference - crazy stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

That sort of pricing difference is really annoying and doesnt do the airport any good. Its the airlines not the airport not the 1st example ive heard still nothing is ever done about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

That sort of pricing difference is really annoying and doesnt do the airport any good. Its the airlines not the airport not the 1st example ive heard still nothing is ever done about it

I was quite shocked as I hadn't come across that before (such a gap)....I don't expect them to be the same (can deal with 100/150 in the difference but 400 is too much)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What do you think could be done about it? Airlines set ticket prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

TheDriver wrote: »
    Surprised to hear about bratislava flight, especially as Prague never took off. I assume its Ryanair, he should be trying to tempt popular Poland routes back to cork

Who is flying bratislava??? Ryanair??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What do you think could be done about it? Airlines set ticket prices.

Probably not a lot but its something youd never really hear been highlighted much in the media esp at a national leavel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Probably not a lot but its something youd never really hear been highlighted much in the media esp at a national leavel

Highlighting it at a national level likely won't do much but increase calls for government interference in a private company, which I think is a big no no. Other than subsidies and regulation, governments should have no say in private enterprise in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's the price of an airline ticket. Why would it be highlighted at national level? Not exactly a basic human need like health, housing or education.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I find Cork can be cheaper than Dub, sometimes dearer. It might be a school tour booked half the plane or some team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Flights for 2 people return to Barca in April through Cork costing 580....Same flights on same day costing 180 through Dublin....

I hate flying out of Dublin but that is too much of a difference - crazy stuff...

EI have no competition on this route from Cork. Shocking that it's 3 times the price of the Dublin flights. The Cork flight probably subsidizes the cheap Dublin ones. I also hate being forced to fly out of Dublin and am also happy to pay a bit extra or take the scenic route flying from Cork. Looking at the Ryanair website, they do Cork to Malaga and Malaga to Barcelona for about 270 for 2 people in April depending on the dates. I've been boycotting them for a while in favour of EI but I think it might be time to give them another chance as this is the third example of Aer Lingus scamming Cork passengers that I've read about on Boards in the last couple of weeks. Hopefully, another budget airline will have a look at Cork in the short to medium term.
    TheDriver wrote: »
    I find Cork can be cheaper than Dub, sometimes dearer. It might be a school tour booked half the plane or some team

Looks from the website like the base fare from Dublin is €45 and from Cork €140

zetalambda wrote: »
    The Cork flight probably subsidizes the cheap Dublin ones.

What a laughable statement.

If anything, it's the other way around. You can't go around cherry picking examples and making baseless statements!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Stop stalking me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What are prices like other days that week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shn99 wrote: »

Could be a good call with it extended into the first few weeks of college, useful for Spanish atudents coming to Cork and Irish students going over there.

And of course, very positive to see Iberia returning for another year

marno21 wrote: »
    Could be a good call with it extended into the first few weeks of college, useful for Spanish atudents coming to Cork and Irish students going over there.

And of course, very positive to see Iberia returning for another year

It's extended by a week, so 2 extra return flights.

However, slow and steady is a good sign, I'd say Iberia are here to stay.

It's really a not a reasonable point anymore, who uses travel agents? They must make up a very low percentage of current bookings.

Have a relative who uses the Munich service quite a bit during the summer, is it confirmed that the route has been axed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Shn99 wrote: »
    Have a relative who uses the Munich service quite a bit during the summer, is it confirmed that the route has been axed?

Looked at the website and last flight I could find was the 6th of April for 2018. Still a few months to go possibly before any final decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That article with Horgan challenging Travel Agents, is poorly written and poorly though out by the "essentially a councillor in waiting".

Complete bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Crazy price discrepancy for Amsterdam next weekend.

I've attached a screenshot. I'm going to have to get the flight from Dublin.

People usually say when you factor in then money saved from aircoach and the convenience it's worth flying from Cork, but this is ridiculous.

People usually say when you factor in then money saved from aircoach and the convenience it's worth flying from Cork, but this is ridiculous.

The cheapest price from DUB is on another airline, probably Ryanair, who can have much lower fares than Aer Lingus (equally higher too). Dublin has 3 airlines competing at high frequency, and we all know competition drives fares lower.

Aer Lingus fares show a discrepancy of around €100 for similar timings, still a bit granted, however you're booking a week in advance so to be honest it's a storm in a teacup.

Fares increase dramatically the closer you get to the date, especially since your dates are for a weekend (hence weekend breaks in play) so I'd say this is completely unrepresentative of fares at Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

JCX BXC wrote: »

The cheapest price from DUB is on another airline, probably Ryanair, who can have much lower fares than Aer Lingus (equally higher too). Dublin has 3 airlines competing at high frequency, and we all know competition drives fares lower.

Aer Lingus fares show a discrepancy of around €100 for similar timings, still a bit granted, however you're booking a week in advance so to be honest it's a storm in a teacup.

Fares increase dramatically the closer you get to the date, especially since your dates are for a weekend (hence weekend breaks in play) so I'd say this is completely unrepresentative of fares at Cork.
    Exactly, I just booked a flight from Cork to Amsterdam earlier in the week for Jan for €80 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

JCX BXC wrote: »
    A route too far maybe, Providence is about all what we'll get, and I'm ok with that if it is sustainable. What we don't want are routes that will pack up after 6 months (Iceland).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

roundymac wrote: »
    A route too far maybe, Providence is about all what we'll get, and I'm ok with that if it is sustainable. What we don't want are routes that will pack up after 6 months (Iceland).

I was told providence only 50% seats selling on flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Balmed Out wrote: »
    What's your source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Balmed Out wrote: »

really? after all the hullabaloo for years...

Advertisement