Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I suppose Aer Lingus don't have connectivity with AF, but do with KLM, perhaps it was seen as the better option for now?

I'd be very surprised if EI maintain daily frequency next summer. Regardless though some very good news, one of the best announcements in a few years, a daily flight is valuable.
    As far as I'm aware the Aerlingus-KLM codeshare from Cork is a unique agreement that rolls over year on year. You'd have to think IAG will put a stop to it eventually. Interesting move from Air France and Cork, maybe they see Paris as the long term European transfer airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The flights are available to book on Air France website now but it says they are operated by Hop!. They seem to be a regional brand/subsidiary of Air France.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

That's great news for connectivity to Latin America & Africa from Cork.

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    That's great news for connectivity to Latin America & Africa from Cork.

There's already a year round daily flight to Paris from Cork so it's not exactly a game changer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fantastic news for Cork Airport.

Being operated by a 76 seat Embraer 170 aircraft. Air France are using A318 and E190s into Dublin so this is fairly decent given its daily.

I'd imagine this will be a mainly connection based flight as return fares start at €129. I'd imagine most O&D traffic will remain with Aer Lingus

Another option for connections in addition to LHR and AMS along with limited connections via MAD and ZRH

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Fantastic news for Cork Airport.

Being operated by a 76 seat Embraer 170 aircraft. Air France are using A318 and E190s into Dublin so this is fairly decent given its daily.

I'd imagine this will be a mainly connection based flight as return fares start at €129. I'd imagine most O&D traffic will remain with Aer Lingus

Another option for connections in addition to LHR and AMS along with limited connections via MAD and ZRH

The outbound flight leaves Cork at 16.30 so not exactly handy for connections without having to spend an overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The outbound flight leaves Cork at 16.30 so not exactly handy for connections without having to spend an overnight.
    All the early connecting flights are gone,bit of a false dawn if you ask me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

ORK-CDG arrives at 19:20 CET.

In addition to Singapore at 20:50, there is a bank of flights departing after 11pm to Tokyo, Beijing, Sao Paolo, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Johannesburg, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Port Louis and Santiago, most on A380s or 77Ws.

The return flight may require a long wait in CDG but the same could be true of flights to AMS, less so LHR with frequency.

I'm not saying it'll be packed to the rafters with connecting passengers but it's a useful flight and a good addition to the roster at Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

There's already a year round daily flight to Paris from Cork so it's not exactly a game changer.

cheaper with through ticketing though I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Hope this dos'nt bring the route down. EI have an excuse to pull off the route and Hop/A/F decide it's not worth it and suddenly we have no route at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

roundymac wrote: »
    Hope this dos'nt bring the route down. EI have an excuse to pull off the route and Hop/A/F decide it's not worth it and suddenly we have no route at all.

Yeah this is a good win for Cork but what you say is definitely a fear. I'm not sure they'll cut the route completely though, a few basic calculations suggest EI get an average load factor of around 70% on the route which isn;t too bad i would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Interesting info from PROC forums. The Cork-PVD route was by far the most profitable transatlantic route for Norwegian in 2017, https://www.aviationanalytics.com/2018/01/09/norwegian-overstretched/

Dublin/Shannon get extra flights and Cork gets nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Cork 2017 passengers up 3.5% to 2,308,507

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Interesting info from PROC forums. The Cork-PVD route was by far the most profitable transatlantic route for Norwegian in 2017, https://www.aviationanalytics.com/2018/01/09/norwegian-overstretched/

is that just profit from seats? does that include check in bags?

is that just profit from seats? does that include check in bags?

Yes, the average profit per seat, I would assume that includes check in bags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

fonzy951 wrote: »

What flights are Dublin getting extra?

No flights have been announced for Dublin.

"The fast-growing Scandinavian carrier already had plans, revealed by this newspaper last August, to hire 40 pilots for a greatly expanded Irish base. Recruitment for those positions is under way with the airline seeking captains and first officers to operate its growing fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft on transatlantic and European routes out of both its Dublin and Edinburgh bases.

With over 100 new 737 MAX aircraft on order, some of which are expected to be used on Irish routes, the airline has now confirmed that it is looking to expand its plans for Dublin even further and it intends recruiting new cabin crew for the base".

Sounds like they are seriously ramping up operations in Dublin this year, you can take it as guaranteed there will be extra flights from this.

Doesn't mean a thing other than they're hiring crew. Don't take any nice wordy sentences as anything other than PR.

Nothing's been announced for DUB

• Advertisement

Dec Pax 145k up 4%. Very strong final 6 months for the airport in 2017. Losing the London City numbers and gaining routes like Nowegian/Wow probably helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Good news two good years for the airport.. some of the new routes have been very good for the airport the like of madrid and zurich extending their service. If only they could get some more to mainland Europe..
    Yes I know it will never happen but if only the runway could be extend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Good news two good years for the airport.. some of the new routes have been very good for the airport the like of madrid and zurich extending their service. If only they could get some more to mainland Europe.. Yes I know it will never happen but if only the runway could be extend

Surely the existing runway is not an issue for European services.
    Aer Lingus are only interested in Dublin it seems and CAA do not want to be over a barrel with Ryanair.

Good news two good years for the airport.. some of the new routes have been very good for the airport the like of madrid and zurich extending their service. If only they could get some more to mainland Europe..

The runway can handle all mainland Europe with ease, and now with the max and neo-lr the runway will become less of an issue.
    They can extend the main runway 17-35 by 250 meters (northern end), if they need to in the future, here is a link to the report (section 1.3.16) https://corkcocoplans.ie/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/2016/07/Airport-SLAP-Sept-2010.pdf
    But pax would at-least have to hit 3 millon plus etc. before that's considered. Getting new routes etc. is where the money needs to go for now.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Amsterdam could be in trouble again, transfers between Airlingus and KLM are not available past the summer. They may sort it out like they did last year. Maybe we could hope for KLM picking up the route like AirFrance have in Paris

Runway is not currently a significant issue, it does not affect any route out of Cork with the exception of possibly the route to Providence, which once upgraded to the 737 MAX does not appear to have any issues with payload either.
    snotboogie wrote: »
    Amsterdam could be in trouble again, transfers between Airlingus and KLM are not available past the summer. They may sort it out like they did last year. Maybe we could hope for KLM picking up the route like AirFrance have in Paris

Very very early to expect schedules for winter 18/19 up yet, I wouldn't even look at them with confidence until June/July.

Runway is an issue for long haul aside from Norwegian. You won't see Emirates/Etihad/Turkish/Qatar operating out of Cork anytime soon.

I would agree that the runway excuse can't be used for general pax numbers as long haul is negligible anyway. The question is where the expansion in Europe could come from. More connection links might help but could also damage the LHR/AMS flights

marno21 wrote: »
    Runway is an issue for long haul aside from Norwegian. You won't see Emirates/Etihad/Turkish/Qatar operating out of Cork anytime soon.

Emirates often operate from the shorter Runway 16 from Dublin and Turkish is most certainly not an issue, there was twice weekly flights to Izmir which is further for years!

Although runway length is probably the least or your reasons as to why you won't see the ME3 in Cork anytime soon! Turkish is definitely a possibility though.

Emirates often operate from the shorter Runway 16 from Dublin and Turkish is most certainly not an issue, there was twice weekly flights to Izmir which is further for years!

Although runway length is probably the least or your reasons as to why you won't see the ME3 in Cork anytime soon! Turkish is definitely a possibility though.

Emirates operate the 77W off runway 16 when there are severe crosswinds in Dublin, they would not be able to take off if the wind was calm or blowing in the 10/28 direction.

Emirates could operate a 77W from the runway in Cork but it would be able to fly maybe one day in 30. Wouldn't be of much use

Regarding Turkish - made a mistake there of thinking Istanbul was further away. Would be nice to see Turkish in Cork - lots of connection opportunities at Istanbul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Lisbon for summer schedule would be one...and with turaround with the economy possible eastern europe could be better served
    Overall though happy with the positive news for the airport after years of worry. Its definately in a better position than shannon at the moment

Advertisement