Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Wouldnt be a cork thread without bashing Shannon :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

A i wasnt bashing shannon. I live closer to it now but better options from cork. Give me shannom or cork over dublin anyday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Very very early to expect schedules for winter 18/19 up yet, I wouldn't even look at them with confidence until June/July.

You used to be always able to book long haul from Cork with Aerlingus/KLM up to a year in advance, as you can with Aerlingus/BA now. Since the IAG takeover it's a lot more difficult, I had to wait until March last year to book a flight in September. I don't think the codeshare will last long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I just saw a tweet there, free parking at the airport if you're flying to the States from Cork. Great initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

razorblunt wrote: »
    I just saw a tweet there, free parking at the airport if you're flying to the States from Cork. Great initiative.

I disagree. Sounds like desparation. Flights should be viable with existing parking charges. USA flights won't be around for long, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

mire wrote: »
    I disagree. Sounds like desparation. Flights should be viable with existing parking charges. USA flights won't be around for long, I'd say.

Sounds to me to be an added incentive to fly to the US from Cork instead of shannon or Dublin. Cork is a new transatlantic base and it's likely a case of trying to break old habits

Given the amount of cutting Norwegian did to their transatlantic flights with no reduction at Cork the flights are here for the medium term at least

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Yeah, get rid of your most profitable (by far) transatlantic route :D,
    https://www.aviationanalytics.com/2018/01/09/norwegian-overstretched/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

fonzy951 wrote:
    Yeah, get rid of your most profitable (by far) transatlantic route ,

Wait til there are figures for a full year rather than just peak summer and it will be a different story

Wait til there are figures for a full year rather than just peak summer and it will be a different story

It did also include Oct, Nov and Dec.

From July - December Average Profit per Seat
    Cork (€36), Dublin (€2), Shannon (€6)

Let's try not be too negative FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Disagree after the announcement of how successful the route is? Ok.

• Advertisement

fonzy951 wrote:
    Yeah, get rid of your most profitable (by far) transatlantic route ,

Cork airport released the Norwegian numbers up to December, definite drop from the summer but nowhere near the mammoth drop off that the likes of AerRyan were creaming themselves over on Pprune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Typical Cork knocking Cork, will then turn around and say the Airport did nothing to promote/help the route.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The article was fundamentally flawed, it seemed to suggest that it was a seasonal route and only operated for 3 months.

While it's a good sign, I certainly wouldn't vouch for it's accuracy. If Cork is so much more profitable than Shannon, then why is Shannon getting the extra flights? It's a question certainly deserving to be asked.

The article was fundamentally flawed, it seemed to suggest that it was a seasonal route and only operated for 3 months.

While it's a good sign, I certainly wouldn't vouch for it's accuracy. If Cork is so much more profitable than Shannon, then why is Shannon getting the extra flights? It's a question certainly deserving to be asked.

Shannon is getting extra flights to bring it to the same number as Cork for providence

snotboogie wrote: »
    Shannon is getting extra flights to bring it to the same number as Cork for providence

Nope, Providence is going to 4pw from Shannon, will only be 3pw from Cork.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Norwegian have to compete with Aer Lingus at Shannon, extra flexibilitY and more capacity will help them

marno21 wrote: »
    Norwegian have to compete with Aer Lingus at Shannon, extra flexibilitY and more capacity will help them

Why do they have to compete? Why didn't they do this last year? And aren't you the very one who has consistently said that they attract entirely different customers? (Young people)

Every business is not Ryanair, profit comes before bettering other airlines.

I'd say the chart is correct (6 month average), but just made a typo on month's from Cork (July, October and November). And if the average profit per seat was just calculated on those months without taking into account August and September (peak months), better again :D

At a wild guess, maybe Norwegian is going to ramp up tapping the tourist pax (high percentage i'd imagine) from the other TATL carriers using Shannon. Not many business pax will use T.F Green and Stewart, so growth will mainly come from tourism.

Why do they have to compete? Why didn't they do this last year? And aren't you the very one who has consistently said that they attract entirely different customers? (Young people)

Every business is not Ryanair, profit comes before bettering other airlines.

They have extra capacity spare this year after the reduction in transatlantic services from Edinburgh. Given that the legacy carriers at Shannon (United) have reduced capacity perhaps they think they can further increase traffic at Shannon, and given Aer Lingus already fly a number of passengers to Boston to Shannon there is clearly a big market there already.

I have said this but perhaps they think they can take more traffic away from the people using Aer Lingus. A lot of people seem to be happy to fly with Norwegian

Profit comes before bettering other airlines is right, but then again there is spare capacity and they have to put it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Official reason why Cork-Munich is being dropped is to increase frequency on other cork routes:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Aer-Lingus-to-drop-Cork-to-Munich-flight-7782683f-0510-4a64-8d48-a37323468d07-ds

vg88 wrote: »
    Official reason why Cork-Munich is being dropped is to increase frequency on other cork routes:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Aer-Lingus-to-drop-Cork-to-Munich-flight-7782683f-0510-4a64-8d48-a37323468d07-ds

"Such as Cork-Heathrow"

I think that's as big of a BS reason as you'll find!

A 1pw flight is no great loss anyway.

Up 5% for January
    Should translate to about 140k pax. Feb-May were by far the worst months for growth last year so it should be interesting over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Is there any more rummers about the cork to amderdam rote with the code share with KLM?.

Is there any more rummers about the cork to amderdam rote with the code share with KLM?.

Not quite sure what you're asking, are you asking if KLM will take up the route or if Aer Lingus will continue their code share on the route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Not quite sure what you're asking, are you asking if KLM will take up the route or if Aer Lingus will continue their code share on the route?

What I am wondering is both above.

Is aer lingus going to pull it ?.

And will the code share drop has there been any updates in this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Did anyone hear 96fm while ago.Some lad called John is calling for the Cork Dublin route to be started up again.He is after doing research into the numbers of people taking the aircoach etc.

I think it would be the death knell for Cork.The blind stupidity.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Did anyone hear 96fm while ago.Some lad called John is calling for the Cork Dublin route to be started up again.He is after doing research into the numbers of people taking the aircoach etc.

I think it would be the death knell for Cork.The blind stupidity.:rolleyes:

And the people paying a tenner on the bus are willing to pay €80++ now for a on-way airfare to Dublin??? Or..did he forget to ask that question???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Apart from the one your trying to start,,,,,no.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Masala wrote: »
    And the people paying a tenner on the bus are willing to pay €80++ now for a on-way airfare to Dublin??? Or..did he forget to ask that question???

Between the time spent arsing around in airports, and the fact Dublin Airport is out in the sticks, it just makes no sense compared to the train (if you want something slightly better than a bus).

Advertisement