Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Cork Airport is in the lineup to get a new route from Eurowings if they win the vote.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2343654112326931&id=215464001812630&refid=18&__tn__=%2As-R

Vote for free before 12 March. Would be a great addition to the airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Cork Airport is in the lineup to get a new route from Eurowings if they win the vote.
    <snip>
    was there any hint of which airport they plan to fly into on the continent ? I've voted but didnt see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

was there any hint of which airport they plan to fly into on the continent ? I've voted but didnt see anything.

Eurowings took over all Lufthansa routes not operating out of Frankfurt or Munich, the main bases of the Kranich (Crane, the stylised bird on the tails of all LH aircraft), so it could be Hamburg, Cologne, Stuttgart, Hannover, Berlin, or possibly Nuremberg.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

thomil wrote: »
    Eurowings took over all Lufthansa routes not operating out of Frankfurt or Munich, the main bases of the Kranich (Crane, the stylised bird on the tails of all LH aircraft), so it could be Hamburg, Cologne, Stuttgart, Hannover, Berlin, or possibly Nuremberg.
    Or Dusseldorf.

Last year it was supposedly Cologne, Shannon were in the running but didn't come first, Mostar won it instead but they are getting flights to Dusseldorf and Stuttgart starting summer 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Kosice in Slovakia is well in the lead now. Cork was winning earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

That seems a bit strange!
    Surely an airline picks a route on market research and not thru a lottery or how many people vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

.red. wrote: »
    That seems a bit strange!
    Surely an airline picks a route on market research and not thru a lottery or how many people vote?

I’d say they’ve done their research and only put viable destinations up for a vote. Looking at the airports put to a vote, all of them are from either economic or tourist centers, so Eurowings recon they can make a profit serving every one of those airports.

Also, this is the first round of voting. The top 3 airports will progress to the final round on March 13th. At the moment, Cork should manage that quite easily. We’re currently way ahead of Friedrichshafen.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon was in the last competition, got to the final but didn't win overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Vote sent...cork seems to be abead again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork airport are really pushing this competition on their news feeds! Would be great if they won

Koisce seems to keep going to number one spot as it is now again by about .2/.3%

The Facebook competition is the real winner though, if you come 1st or second in this part it doesn't really matter, fb part is what counts I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

The top 3 destinations go through to the Facebook live final next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Really.... is this serious????

What a gimmick and free publicity to both Cork and Eurowings!!!

Airlines allocating routes on X-Factor Style phone in format.... don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Eurowings did the same last year and shannon airport was in he running..even if cork doesnt win hopefully something might come of it

Eurowings did the same last year and shannon airport was in he running..even if cork doesnt win hopefully something might come of it

Put in my vote for Cork.

I doubt anything would come from it if Cork didn't win, even if they did it would be only be a 1x Weekly token service. The PR from the competition is much much greater than the gain of the new service.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Put in my vote for Cork.

I doubt anything would come from it if Cork didn't win, even if they did it would be only be a 1x Weekly token service. The PR from the competition is much much greater than the gain of the new service.
    This is it.

Even if Cork doesn't win it'll create a lot of brand awareness for Eurowings from people voting, who may look up flights and see that they can fly with Eurowings from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Mostar won the last route competition that Eurowings had and got a twice weekly service to Dusseldorf and a twice-weekly service to Stuttgart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

gotta say I am surprised Kosice are winning. Never heard of it until now! (although they are most likely saying the same about us). Checked them out and I wasn't able to find any push from the airport about 'vote here' unlike cork airport really pushing it. They must have a big base?

Most of the voting comes from Germany, deciding where the Germans want to go.

The airport at Stavanger which is coming last in the poll has almost double the passengers of Cork. The airports of the other 4 places all have passenger numbers around half a million, a bit more than Kerry but a bit less than Knock. I'd be very surprised if they could get a sustainable route out of these 4 unless they're flying 20 seated propeller planes or something. :)

zetalambda wrote: »
    The airport at Stavanger which is coming last in the poll has almost double the passengers of Cork. The airports of the other 4 places all have passenger numbers around half a million, a bit more than Kerry but a bit less than Knock. I'd be very surprised if they could get a sustainable route out of these 4 unless they're flying 20 seated propeller planes or something. :)

You'd be very surprised, I don't know much about the airports in question, but take Mostar, the winner of the last competition, 43,000 passengers last year, compared to Kerry's 325,000. Often it's due to completely incompetent management who are often notoriously hard to deal with. Aviation in Southeastern Europe is severely restricted by such large amounts of red tape, unheard of in Western Europe (despite what some tabloid like politicians may try to convince you).

In summary, don't take passenger number in these airports as any indication of market. Yield probably isn't great though. As I've said before on another forum, an airline like Ryanair or easyJet would do amazing in these airports in my opinion, if they were allowed.

• Advertisement

Voting closes at 2 today.. Cork currently in the lead! https://www.vote-and-fly.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cork still in the lead.

33.3% vs 32%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Well????? did Cork win???

Masala wrote: »

Yes, but it doesn't matter, the top 3 go onto the final.

Masala wrote: »

Today was the qualifier, tomorrow the "winner" will be chosen.

"The big final for the top 3 positions will take place live on Facebook, Tuesday (March 13) at 3pm CET!"

Eurowings Facebook page, voting is now on for the next hour!! Vote Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

https://www.facebook.com/eurowings

for anyone wanting to vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

flexcon wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/eurowings

for anyone wanting to vote!
    getting smashed by Kosice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

snotboogie wrote: »
    getting smashed by Kosice

It's weird, the live feed is looping every 6 seconds. It's not live anyway, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

can you only book via facebook

Advertisement