Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

JCX BXC wrote: »
    A bad thing of course, how would it be a good thing?

To be honest I can't see EI continuing through the winter.
    I thought Air Frances fairs were more expensive than Aer Lingus ?Also unless using a connecting flight majority would fly with AL as Air Frances arrival times are in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I thought Air Frances fairs were more expensive than Aer Lingus ?Also unless using a connecting flight majority would fly with AL as Air Frances arrival times are in the evening.

They would generally be, but of course they'd have an effect. If you own a shop, and another shop opens beside you selling the same profuct, just a little more expensive, you'd be stupid to think it would have absoultely no effect. The question is how great that effect will be.

Firstly, people seem to forget that flights are a two way service, people from France and from Ireland will use the service. Yes, many people are oblivious to actually searching competitors flight or even if they are competitors, so while the Irish may have never heard of Air France (unlikely), you'll be sure the French have.

Evening times may suit some people much more than an earlier flight, especially if going for a weekend. That's a sweeping and untrue statement that most people will just use EI

Also, cheapest prices I found in October is €104 worth EI vs €131 with AF. Difference isn't massive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork's Air France flights are to be operated by an Embraer 170 with 76 seats. They don't have the capacity to compete with Aer Lingus for starters

I'd imagine Air France are launching this to get some connecting traffic out of Cork, similar to KLM Cityhopper flying to a lot of the smaller UK airports.

If anything I'd imagine it'd take from EI's LHR or AMS flights as they are both heavily dependent on connections

On looking, I see CDG is 5x weekly through the deepest winter months. Perhaps a downgrade as opposed to a complete removal of flight would be more in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Forward booking is very strong hence the reason for year round service. I'd imagine currently majority from French visitors due to Air France advertising in Paris area (large population), so it's increasing market share, good news. Don't see this having any major effect on the Aer Lingus CDG service, especially with Air France using an Embraer 170.

• Advertisement

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Forward booking is very strong hence the reason for year round service. I'd imagine currently majority from French visitors due to Air France advertising in Paris area (large population), so it's increasing market share, good news. Don't see this having any major effect on the Aer Lingus CDG service, especially with Air France using an Embraer 170.

Are you implying that all these (unconfirmed) new visitors are simply new, and would not have flown Aer Lingus anyway? What is your reasoning behind this, and why would you think it's such a majority?

Are you implying that all these (unconfirmed) new visitors are simply new, and would not have flown Aer Lingus anyway? What is your reasoning behind this, and why would you think it's such a majority?

You are bound to get an increase in new visitors with now both Air France and Aer Lingus advertising services, especially from the Paris metro area (population over 11 million) and the south of Ireland has always been popular with French tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Are the may dates sold out? Was just looking it up, and every time I choose a date it wants to connect me from cork to amsterdam and then to paris (through the AF website). Actually interested in going :)

Are the may dates sold out? Was just looking it up, and every time I choose a date it wants to connect me from cork to amsterdam and then to paris (through the AF website). Actually interested in going :)

Service starts on May 26th.

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Service starts on May 26th.

ah thats great thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

A bad thing of course, how would it be a good thing?

To be honest I can't see EI continuing through the winter.

That's not really how business works. If you own a shop and have spent years building yourself a reputation with customers and then another shop opens across the street selling the same stuff, you wouldn't shut your store and run for the hills giving all your customers to the other store.

If anything this shows that Aerlingus has dropped the ball. I've flown this route multiple times during the winter months and if not full it's only a couple empty seats.

Even a downgrade for the winter months is literally handing your market share to a competitor. I'm sure AF would love that. They'd probably increase it to 2 flights a day then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

They would generally be, but of course they'd have an effect. If you own a shop, and another shop opens beside you selling the same profuct, just a little more expensive, you'd be stupid to think it would have absoultely no effect. The question is how great that effect will be.

Firstly, people seem to forget that flights are a two way service, people from France and from Ireland will use the service. Yes, many people are oblivious to actually searching competitors flight or even if they are competitors, so while the Irish may have never heard of Air France (unlikely), you'll be sure the French have.

Evening times may suit some people much more than an earlier flight, especially if going for a weekend. That's a sweeping and untrue statement that most people will just use EI

Also, cheapest prices I found in October is €104 worth EI vs €131 with AF. Difference isn't massive.

I wasn't saying it was a known fact more I would have thought majority of people travelling either on holiday or business want to get through security fast and pick up their luggage and get out of there early,I know I would.

Also the prices are different but you will get people that will pay for flights that are 20 quid cheaper especially if you had a family for example or you could upgrade your seating with that extra 20 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

OFF TOPIC

Guys, any idea where I can find who operates the chartered flights from cork to Dubrovnik and Split in Croatia?

I have tried kayak and sky scanner with no luck. No luck also on Cork Airport webpage, and on their twitter feeds.

Tried a few Irish websites, and none have any real info on this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

flexcon wrote: »
    OFF TOPIC

Guys, any idea where I can find who operates the chartered flights from cork to Dubrovnik and Split in Croatia?

I have tried kayak and sky scanner with no luck. No luck also on Cork Airport webpage, and on their twitter feeds.

There hasn't been a bookable flight there in a few years. There is usually 3/4 of them in the summer but they are chartered for pilgrimages to Medjugorje.
    I'd imagine Joe Walsh Tours would be the best people to ask.

.red. wrote: »
    There hasn't been a bookable flight there in a few years. There is usually 3/4 of them in the summer but they are chartered for pilgrimages to Medjugorje.
    I'd imagine Joe Walsh Tours would be the best people to ask.

Ah shame! I saw the advertisement on the big map heading to the CarPark last week and got excited as this is a route I often take through Amsterdam.

Thanks for the advice re Joe Walsh Tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

OFF TOPIC

Try travelfox out in Little Island. I saw on FB a while back they were doing croatian package from cork so they should be able to help you out

Try travelfox out in Little Island. I saw on FB a while back they were doing croatian package from cork so they should be able to help you out

It won't be direct. There are no flights to Croatia from Cork this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Nota a regular service but Croatia Tours, croatia.ie, are running 3 flights Cork - Split, 1 in May, 1 in August & 1 in September

http://croatia.ie/flights-to-croatia/seat-onlys/flights-to-croatia.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

re Croatia

Last year 4 of us 2 adults two kids 6/9 flew from Cork to Dubrovnik first week of October

flight details were cork to stan Ryanair and stn to dubr with jet 2
    returning dubr to Gatwick with Norwegian and Gatwick cork with Ryanair

went on a saturday back on a saturday no hassle hand luggage etc

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Nota a regular service but Croatia Tours, croatia.ie, are running 3 flights Cork - Split, 1 in May, 1 in August & 1 in September

http://croatia.ie/flights-to-croatia/seat-onlys/flights-to-croatia.asp

just called and they are all booked out :O

• Advertisement

just called and they are all booked out :O

I don't think any of the seats were available to buy, pretty sure it's chartered in to sell as part of a pilgrimage package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

.red. wrote: »
    I don't think any of the seats were available to buy, pretty sure it's chartered in to sell as part of a pilgrimage package.

No, flight only can be booked also, subject to availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Often thought its a destination for a potential summer route from Cork. Apart from pilgrimes its becomming an increasingly popular wedding destination too. Croatia is one of my favourite places
    priced flights from dublin in jan when planning the summer holiday and they were pricy enough compared to the last time i went

Often thought its a destination for a potential summer route from Cork. Apart from pilgrimes its becomming an increasingly popular wedding destination too. Croatia is one of my favourite places
    priced flights from dublin in jan when planning the summer holiday and they were pricy enough compared to the last time i went

I'd say the flights would be nearly full during the summer too. Its becoming popular for its historical reasons etc aswell with its old cities and stuff. Was looking it up from Dublin for a summer trip this year but decided against it, was a bit pricey when you factor in tolls etc. Most of my friends have visited croatia and go back every few years to explore more. Correct amount of advertising on both ends would be nearly full flights id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Besides the weekend trip to Amsterdam, people going to Poland, or going down to the Canaries/Lanzarote, I really don't see the point of paying extra to fly out of Cork with the connections when I can just take a 2.5-3 hour bus up to Dublin and save myself some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Jlayay wrote: »
    Besides the weekend trip to Amsterdam, people going to Poland, or going down to the Canaries/Lanzarote, I really don't see the point of paying extra to fly out of Cork with the connections when I can just take a 2.5-3 hour bus up to Dublin and save myself some money.

What about the UK? Paris? Faro? Malaga?

The choice of European city breaks, East Coast links and Eastern European sun destinations is where Cork really falls down. Long haul is well served between Heathrow and Amsterdam, I would rather a transit there than an aircoach any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Apologies if this has already been discussed but has anyone else noticed that we are losing the Wednesday and Thursday evening connections to Amsterdam. I’m really disappointed by this as I relied on these connections very often for work reasons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Had a look at Norwegian's Cork-Providence flights in July and they are all priced above 500 quid. There must be some decent forward bookings for this service if they are that high.

For comparison, Shannon-Providence is available for 320 quid along the same times. Norwegian have substantially increased capacity at Shannon this year though, likely to compete with Aer Lingus's Shannon-Boston Logan service.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

revelman wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been discussed but has anyone else noticed that we are losing the Wednesday and Thursday evening connections to Amsterdam. I’m really disappointed by this as I relied on these connections very often for work reasons.

yes, have to leave now on Wed morning which gives me an extra day in Amsterdam + expenses and time away from family...none of which I need.:(

• Advertisement

Jlayay wrote: »

When I was 18 I had no problem doing this. What you are doing is the cheapest method and rightfully so however there is many reasons why people still prefer cork.

At 28, I prefer to arrive into Cork Airport at 10pm and get home for 11, than arrive into Dublin at 11.45pm and a 3 hour bus journey home to be at my bed for 4am.

It also allows me to go to work the following day at 8am.

Advertisement