Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Agree with the above. When managing a set amount of annual leave it convience of been able to use your local airport is invaluable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Tourism Ireland in conjunction with Aer Lingus and Cork airport are now advertising the Paris-Cork route in the French capital. This is the kind of business minded reaction that you would expect to Air France rather than a reduction in frequency or downgrading the route to summer only as some posters were alluding.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Paris-Metro-ads-boost-Cork-305ea84c-87cf-4124-8f0d-f45e0833a3ff-ds

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The last EI837 from Munich on approach to Cork now

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Any recommendations for a decent breakfast around Cork airport? Not the airport itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Any recommendations for a decent breakfast around Cork airport? Not the airport itself :)

Amazing French toast and a perfect place around 6 mins drive from Airport

https://www.facebook.com/theworkshopcork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Both hotels do a nice breakfast, the international hotel is probably a little nicer but also a bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Even closer.
    https://m.facebook.com/Amberley-Store-and-Bakery-DolceSalato-Cork-795716577158758/

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Disappointing

8vUGwEu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not surprising however.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Disappointing

8vUGwEu.png
    Disappointing but not surprising. Some of the cross network Norwegian SWF/PVD loadings during Winter were appaling with loads of >25% seen at BFS.

These services are marginal enough and without business travellers they will really struggle in Winter. The target market that Norwegian seem to be really successful with simply don't go to the US in sufficient volumes during September/October/January/February especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Not surprising. Dire loads at SNN too...61% load in October and a 55% load in November

Shn99 wrote: »
    Not surprising. Dire loads at SNN too...61% load in October and a 55% load in November

How do loads at Shannon reflect anything to do with Cork?

How many months is it gone for?? Was eyeing up a trip end of oct

Winter season normally follows late October to late March. Have a look now, if you can already book the dates you had in mind your safe

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How do loads at Shannon reflect anything to do with Cork?
    The poor loads in Winter are a network wide phenomenon. Shannon could see it's Providence service partially or completely cut for Winter too.

Cork-Providence is bookable up to 27 October on norwegian.com

marno21 wrote: »
    The poor loads in Winter are a network wide phenomenon. Shannon could see it's Providence service partially or completely cut for Winter too.

Yes, but simply dumping loads for Shannon mean nothing from a Cork perspective. Perhaps they have some worth in a comparative sense, but there's nothing to compare!

Hopefully its just the winter... cant blame cork airport for this one....they really did promote the route

Cork needs to get more european routes going though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

the comments on cork airports tweet are hilarious.....https://imgbb.com/

• Advertisement

Shn99 wrote: »
    the comments on cork airports tweet are hilarious.....https://imgbb.com/

That's just a generic link.

Looked at the comments myself, it's shocking but hilarious. Apparently it's all a big conspiracy by Shannon, the DAA and Norwegian.

Why not accept that an airline with a poor financial position cannot afford to operate marginal services that lose money in the winter?

Cork Airport statement on the Norwegian matter. Includes confirmation that D81820/1821 from/to Providence will operate in summer 2019 assuming Norwegian haven't gone bust by then

https://twitter.com/CorkAirport/status/981293481422479360

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Has anyone considered the notion that the Cork USA link is and never was viable. Lots of delusion on this issue in Cork.

Not enough passengers. Simple. But I'm sure people will blame it on lack of promotion and other nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

mire wrote: »
    Has anyone considered the notion that the Cork USA link is and never was viable. Lots of delusion on this issue in Cork.

Not enough passengers. Simple. But I'm sure people will blame it on lack of promotion and other nonsense.

What do you have to back up this 'delusion' claim? Significant market research of your own? If so, care to share your findings?

I'm sorry - but that attitude really grinds my gears. Yes, ORK-PVD is seemingly unsustainable for the winter season. That's one transatlantic route, on a budget airline, with gets most people an hour and a half away from where they really want to be (presumably Boston). And because of that, we should write off any notion of ever having a transatlantic route out of Cork? I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Its a lot more viable than SNN, but the difference is SNN has pre clearance flights straight in to the cities in the US. Its a huge advantage over the Cork offering. Not blaming SNN or anything like that, but there are huge numbers commuting to London, Dublin, Shannon, etc, to get a connecting flight to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

The only reason this flight is gone is because there wasn't bums on seats.
    Depending on the aircraft it could take roughly 140 or 180 people. Too many times it had 60/70 people in and out and it rarely went over 130. Even with the fantastic rates Cork airport were giving them this wasn't sustainable.
    The airport really couldn't have done any more to make the route successful. People didn't book the flight but will now cause uproar that they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Meursault wrote: »
    Its a lot more viable than SNN, but the difference is SNN has pre clearance flights straight in to the cities in the US. Its a huge advantage over the Cork offering. Not blaming SNN or anything like that, but there are huge numbers commuting to London, Dublin, Shannon, etc, to get a connecting flight to the US.

Cork has high frequency connections to keys hubs Heathrow, Schiphol or CDG and that's how the vast majority connect to the US from Cork especially for business pax. Norweigan is fine for tourists in summer, but imo business pax were put off by the location of TF Green and the frequency of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

.red. wrote: »
    The only reason this flight is gone is because there wasn't bums on seats.
    Depending on the aircraft it could take roughly 140 or 180 people. Too many times it had 60/70 people in and out and it rarely went over 130. Even with the fantastic rates Cork airport were giving them this wasn't sustainable.
    The airport really couldn't have done any more to make the route successful. People didn't book the flight but will now cause uproar that they can't.

Flying into TF Green is a huge issue. If this went straight to Logan in Boston I would be shocked if most flights weren't close to full.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Schorpio wrote: »

What do you have to back up this 'delusion' claim? Significant market research of your own? If so, care to share your findings?

I'm sorry - but that attitude really grinds my gears. Yes, ORK-PVD is seemingly unsustainable for the winter season. That's one transatlantic route, on a budget airline, with gets most people an hour and a half away from where they really want to be (presumably Boston). And because of that, we should write off any notion of ever having a transatlantic route out of Cork? I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

Don't be so sensitive.  My evidence is the announcement by Norwegian airlines. The reason cork doesn't have successful transatlantic connections is that it's not currently viable. It's very simple - Not enough people used the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Meursault wrote: »

Cork has high frequency connections to keys hubs Heathrow, Schiphol or CDG and that's how the vast majority connect to the US from Cork especially for business pax. Norweigan is fine for tourists in summer, but imo business pax were put off by the location of TF Green and the frequency of service.
    If you look at the big Massachusetts companies in Cork, that is not the case.

Advertisement