Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Ah come on this isn't a SNN vs ORK thing, Norweigan flights got cut from Cork. But they got cut from Shannon, Belfast and Ediburgh. I for one am sad about it, sure, but what can we do, nothing.

It was a weird area to fly into anyway, not a direct link to a big city which would draw more attention and would most likely have more PAX. As another poster posted, there are already talks with Cork Airport about other future links to the US with multiple airlines, and we still have the flights for the summer months which is better then nothing!

So lets just focus on that rather then an argument of ORK vs SNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

zetalambda wrote: »

Relax sweetheart, it's not personal when I disagree with you on an internet forum.

Ah jaysus
    You seem to have misconstrued my statement about TA from Cork. I can only suggest read it back again.

I don't think I have.
    Imagine you and I did the exact same job for someone. I got paid 230 but you only got 175. Would you not complain it was a big difference?

Am..........you can't just use any old analogy to prove your point. In this case this one makes no sense. Using said analogy, should Kerry be annoyed that Heathrow has over 70 million passengers, and they can't make half a million?

How about we put some good news in here:

https://twitter.com/CorkAirport/status/981520949651607552

Passenger numbers up 13% from the same time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

How about we put some good news in here:

https://twitter.com/CorkAirport/status/981520949651607552

Passenger numbers up 13% from the same time last year.
    Not trying to be even more of a downer but they have been extremely quiet about the monthly figures since Jan, no announcements on Feb or March, which means negative growth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No, it's like saying Waterford isn't viable because they can't support a flight to Luton. Which it seemingly cannot.

How have Norwegian shown that all year round TA is viable? They've just cut the winter service!

Big difference? 1.751million at Shannon vs 2.308million at Cork. About 550,000, granted it's a difference, but not massive by any means.

Where Cork is better, and you've mentioned it yourself, is European routes, especially hub connectivity. Shannon has largely failed here despite attempts, and Cork seemingly ain't doing too well on the TA side of things, despite going above and beyond piling resources to try get these flights.

For the record, there are 1,998,260 scheduled seats on sale from shannon this year and 24,984 charter seats totalling to 2,023,244 however not all will be sold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

JCX BXC wrote: »

I don't think I have.

Norwegian are flying TA from Cork 8 months a year so we can deduce from this that TA from Cork is viable 8 months of the year.

With the right conditions (destination airports, flight times, connection options, aircraft, runway, etc,etc.), multiple year round TA routes out of Cork are viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Aer Lingus will resume Lisbon from end of October operating two weekly. MUC will also return and TFS gets extra capacity.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Not trying to be even more of a downer but they have been extremely quiet about the monthly figures since Jan, no announcements on Feb or March, which means negative growth

How do you know? Do you have figures? Just because I don't go around telling everyone I know that I'm loaded, it doesn't mean that I'm broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie wrote: »

How do you know? Do you have figures? Just because I don't go around telling everyone I know that I'm loaded, it doesn't mean that I'm broke.
    No I don't but they tend to announce monthly figures on their twitter and to the media if they are positive and keep them quiet if they are negative. Same thing happened for Feb and March last year.

Jan up 3.8%
    Feb up 3.4%
    nothing for march yet

Source;anna.aero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus will resume Lisbon from end of October operating two weekly. MUC will also return and TFS gets extra capacity.

Very positive news.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Norwegian are flying TA from Cork 8 months a year so we can deduce from this that TA from Cork is viable 8 months of the year.

With the right condition (destination airports, flight times, connection options, aircraft, runway, etc,etc.), year round TA from Cork is viable.

This viability argument is a pure joke. I'm sure if Cork had no proper hub connectivity then direct flights to the US would be very popular all year round. But currently there are great options and frequency via hub airports to fly to the US which will dilute any direct link.

fonzy951 wrote: »
    This viability argument is a pure joke. I'm sure if Cork had no proper hub connectivity then direct flights to the US would be very popular all year round. But currently there are great options and frequency via hub airports to fly to the US which will dilute any direct link.

Yeah you're right, if an airline is attempting to establish new routes, they should never take into account the airport locations, population, demand, flight times, connections available, runway length and associated aircraft. That's pure madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Twice weekly flights to Lisbon with Set Lingus announced. Be year round too, great boost that is

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Yeah you're right, if an airline is attempting to establish new routes, they should never take into account the airport locations, population, demand, flight times, connections available, runway length and associated aircraft. That's pure madness!

I wasn't disagreeing with your assertions :D I was just adding further comment to the viability argument. Try reading the comment properly.

Mushy wrote: »
    Twice weekly flights to Lisbon with Set Lingus announced. Be year round too, great boost that is

Yes, the Are Lingus announcement today far outweighs the Norwegian one yesterday.

Yes, the Are Lingus announcement today far outweighs the Norwegian one yesterday.

Just saw it operates Friday and Monday too, perfect for a long weekend. Could/should be the making of a positive route, great city that everyone should go to (watch now as flights are multiples of Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Not doubting you on that, but where did you get the MUC information? I know that my colleagues who work from our Munich office are less than thrilled about the hoops they have to jump through to get to Cork at the moment.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

thomil wrote: »
    Not doubting you on that, but where did you get the MUC information? I know that my colleagues who work from our Munich office are less than thrilled about the hoops they have to jump through to get to Cork at the moment.

Weekly service over ski season from 15 December (should be on sale). Probably not massive use to you college.

Saturdays
    Departing Cork 07.00-10.30
    Departing Muncih 11.10-12.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Just saw it operates Friday and Monday too, perfect for a long weekend. Could/should be the making of a positive route, great city that everyone should go to (watch now as flights are multiples of Dublin)
    Didnt they have that route from Cork years back ?

Hopefully they will get that Cork Nice route back also.

• Advertisement

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Didnt they have that route from Cork years back ?

Hopefully they will get that Cork Nice route back also.

No idea myself, its only in recent years I've had the need to use cork airport. Lisbon seems the trendy place to go now, so hopefully they can make a success of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

On another note Ryan Air are doing a direct flight from Cork to Bordeaux this month for the Munster match.
    April 20 - April 23

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Travel-agents-and-airlines-scramble-to-cater-for-Munsters-invasion-of-France-a0ff717e-0431-427d-8436-d4d5ba7d1de2-ds

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gamb!t wrote: »
    On another note Ryan Air are doing a direct flight from Cork to Bordeaux this month for the Munster match.
    April 20 - April 23

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Travel-agents-and-airlines-scramble-to-cater-for-Munsters-invasion-of-France-a0ff717e-0431-427d-8436-d4d5ba7d1de2-ds
    Good stuff. EI put up posts on Sunday of wonderful extra Bordeaux flights, of course from Dublin. The response was less than enthusiastic. Smart follow on move by Ryanair. If they have capacity a SNN-BOD flight would surely sell out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Wohoo delighted at Lisbon back. That will be very popular during the summer months. Ideal for a long weekend too..thats one thing the hampers numbers for cork aiport lack of weekend destinations. wonder what the times of the fligt will be like...now where else could be added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I would love to see Turkish Airlines, Emirates, Etihad or Qatar use Cork Airport also. It would be a fantastic addition with so many connection possibilities.

I would love to see Turkish Airlines, Emirates, Etihad or Qatar use Cork Airport also. It would be a fantastic addition with so many connection possibilities.

I would love to travel to the moon and back...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Shn99 wrote: »
    I would love to travel to the moon and back...

:D it's wishful thinking sure, but Turkish have expressed interest in the past and hopefully Cork can further secure more routes like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

:D it's wishful thinking sure, but Turkish have expressed interest in the past and hopefully Cork can further secure more routes like it.

Travel to the moon? Why not, we have plenty space cadets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Do they all have 737 Max's lol?

• Advertisement

Advertisement