Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Sounds like some dopey TD's grabbing the chance for populist headlines. Norwegian also come out and said Summer schedule is not guaranteed, directly contradicting Cork Airports tweet yesterday:
    It comes as the airline failed to guarantee the flights from Cork would return for the 2019 summer schedule, only saying it was “working to maintain” them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

snotboogie wrote: »
    Sounds like some dopey TD's grabbing the chance for populist headlines. Norwegian also come out and said Summer schedule is not guaranteed, directly contradicting Cork Airports tweet yesterday:

Well I mean if they cancel summer services then I believe something would be wrong, as iirc, they were almost full flights during summer and this summer correct? Unless cork airport lied about that too? *Sigh* oh well. Win some you lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Well I mean if they cancel summer services then I believe something would be wrong, as iirc, they were almost full flights during summer and this summer correct? Unless cork airport lied about that too? *Sigh* oh well. Win some you lose some.
    Those are CSO figures

Those are CSO figures

Right so they weren't lying, cant see why they would cancel summer routes then if they are nearly full. But I mean they are making huge losses for this massive expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Lots of flights with good loads are pulled...its the yield that counts,.

(i have no idea if the yield was poor for Cork flights, but full planes means diddly if the flight doesn't make money.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Gamb!t wrote: »
    On another note Ryan Air are doing a direct flight from Cork to Bordeaux this month for the Munster match.
    April 20 - April 23

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Travel-agents-and-airlines-scramble-to-cater-for-Munsters-invasion-of-France-a0ff717e-0431-427d-8436-d4d5ba7d1de2-ds
    Why is it that people call Ryanair Ryan Air.. Ryan Air is/was an US charter airlne.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Didnt they have that route from Cork years back ?

Hopefully they will get that Cork Nice route back also.
    Yes they did, I would prefer if they went back to Berlin or Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

aer lingus starting up cork Lisbon twice a week from the end of october

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

kooga wrote: »
    aer lingus starting up cork Lisbon twice a week from the end of october

Great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I know a few people from Cork that flew SNN/Boston with Aer Lingus simply because if they had flown from Cork they would lose a day due to the late departure time from Cork. The time of departure probably not great for business passengers either. Not much good for them to be 2 hours outside Boston at 7.30 in the evening.

Around the initial launch of this route last year I noticed plenty of advertising for it(although still not as much as Aer Lingus did in Cork for their SNN routes around the time of the Norwegian launch), but little or nothing since. I have recently heard a few radio ads for their routes out of Shannon and Dublin but found it concerning that there was no mention of Cork.
    Cork has never had transatlantic flights. Most people going on holidays to the states book well in advance. Surely if Norwegian were serious about staying put in Cork they should have been promoting the **** out of this route right through the winter.

That said, It's not a great location and wouldn't be well known in Ireland. I'd love to see Aer lingus launch a Boston or New York flight and give it a proper go. Surely it's a no brainer given the amount of people that fly to America out of Cork via other airports everyday. I for one wouldn't give a toss about pre-clearence if it meant I didn't have to drive that death road up to Shannon.

Cork needs more Euro city destinations. It's over 10 years since there was a Berlin or Prague route. And the Rome flight needs to be restored also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

"Cork needs more Euro city destinations. It's over 10 years since there was a Berlin or Prague route. And the Rome flight needs to be restored also"

Agreed but the days of the flights need to be right too. I have heard people at work over the last few years pass comments on how there isnt much choice apart from the UK if you want to do a weekend away.
    Plus Cork has a large number of EU nationals working here, particularly Italian and spanish. Be handy for them makig trips home or if they have family and friends visiting. Surprised Madrid service hasnt been extended year round yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'm not sure I've posted this, but I've heard a staggering amount of advertisting of Cork Airport on the radio in recent months. Adverts on Cork stations and Spin South West (which covers Kerry, Limerick, Clare and North Tipp). Adverts for the US flight, Spain, France, Italy. Fair play to Cork Airport marketing team.

Norwegian have promoted this flight on national TV and national radio, along with billboards and with advertising on the side of buses. They have really marketed this flight and it has done really well when the target market is using it (it seems to be popular with young people).

The main issues I think are stopping this being a year round success are:

1. Connections. This is a massive, massive reason for the flight being quiet. If you head upto Shannon and catch a flight with United to Newark, only a proportion of the flight will be going to Newark. Plenty of people will be connecting to the West Coast, Florida, places like Chicago etc. The lack of connection opportunities with this being just a flight to Providence/New England is a major issue for the flight. The transatlantic services ex Shannon wouldn't be as popular without these connection opportunities.
    2. Business class. If the service had premium economy/business class it may be more popular firstly, and secondly the increased yield would make the flight more viable. The fact it's a 189 seater all economy 737 in Winter is an issue. Were it a 737 laid out with 12C/12W/130Y or equivilant it may be more popular with the lesser seats and also may make cargo marginally viable with the lighter load.

I think if an airline like JetBlue or even Aer Lingus tried 4 weekly to New York/Newark and 3 weekly to Boston ex Cork it would be a very profitiable venture. The opportunities for such a move are now there with new viable aircraft like the 737 MAX and the A321 neo LR.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Tons of americans use the Al flight, assuming they're booking with Jet Blue all the way through or alternatively connecting to European flight. Which makes u wonder why Shannon is better than Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

TheDriver wrote: »
    Which makes u wonder why Shannon is better than Cork

Elaborate

Did'nt hear them shouting when WOW pulled out last year be fore the season ended, or maybe they had'nt heard of them. Not enough votes in it perhaps.:eek:

roundymac wrote: »
    Did'nt hear them shouting when WOW pulled out last year be fore the season ended, or maybe they had'nt heard of them. Not enough votes in it perhaps.:eek:

Strange how they seem to think it's acceptable to get involved in a private company's affairs in such a way. Surely in a free market they should be able to conduct their business in whatever way they feel they should?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Flights to Prague, Berlin, Budapest, Madrid etc would be far better than these half assed transatlantic flights.
    I go on regular enough weekend breaks and I would just love to go through Cork, Dublin is a pain. Travelling 3 hours, to go on another 2 hour flight. It would be worth €100 more for me too, to go through Cork. I'd probably go away even more and I'm sure others would too. Dublin just adds legs to a journey.

More flights on PL match days would be used to. You cant get a daily return from Liverpool, which means you have to go through manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

rob316 wrote: »
    Flights to Prague, Berlin, Budapest, Madrid etc would be far better than these half assed transatlantic flights.

Didn't Czech airlines try to launch ORK-PRG but there was no demand for it?

You can already fly to Madrid, plus Lisbon and Munich are returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

JCX BXC wrote: »

Madrid is only a summer service..doesnt suit everyone to go away between june and mid sept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Squedward

Would be great if SWISS and Iberia expanded year round. I'd expect Zurich to be viable over the winter?

Madrid is only a summer service..doesnt suit everyone to go away between june and mid sept

No, but that's when it suits most. The viability simply isn't there to run it for the few who'd go in February.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

roundymac wrote: »

In fairness Wow was no more a transatlantic service than the EI flights to LHR or AMS.

I think the primary issue from the politicians point of view is Norwegian started the campaign to serve Cork as a method of garnering support for obtaining transatlantic rights and then as soon as they get them they stop the year round service to Cork and serve Dublin instead. Anything involving using Cork as a means to benefit Dublin is a red rag to a bull for Cork politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is that new the Madrid route? I was only there last June and definitely couldn't go from cork. Love to go again if cork is a goer.

Going to Algarve in August and it was a good bit cheaper than Dublin so was delighted with that.

Is that new the Madrid route? I was only there last June and definitely couldn't go from cork. Love to go again if cork is a goer.

Going to Algarve in August and it was a good bit cheaper than Dublin so was delighted with that.

Not new, ran since 2016

Started last year on June 3rd

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/cork-airport-hopes-madrid-service-will-boost-spanish-numbers-1.2876631?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Madrid with Iberia began June 18th, 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Didnt see the return of the Munich flights coming.
    Early morning, Saturday only flights are in the system from Christmas till March.

I had mistakenly thought that aer lingus had miraculously found somewhere else that they could charge €100+ each way for (and often a nice bit more than that again) that was more lucrative than the Cork Munich route.

With a winter only and saturday only schedule, it seems its being treated as a ski flight now and they have given up on normal year round business (weekends away, short breaks, business travellers) and conceding that business to the Dublin-Munich route which has now 6 flights per day each way, often at rock bottom prices.

Munich is no loss IMO. there are far more attracive places that EI could fly to from Cork. Anywhere in Italy would beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

vg88 wrote: »
    Didn't Czech airlines try to launch ORK-PRG but there was no demand for it?[/QUOTE

and we had Malev to budapest

• Advertisement

CSO Stats for December are out. Not the best at the tables thing but I tried! 2016 numbers for December are below the first table for comparision! Majority look to be up to me with a few exceptions like STN

London - Heathrow (LHR),Great Britain 30236
    London - Stansted (STN),Great Britain 27461
    Amsterdam (AMS),Netherlands 12648
    London - Gatwick (LGW),Great Britain 10149
    Manchester (MAN),Great Britain 7991
    Paris - Charles De Gaulle (CDG),France 7625
    Liverpool (LPL),Great Britain 7396
    Birmingham - Uk (BHX),Great Britain 5940
    Lanzarote (ACE),Spain 5223
    Malaga (AGP),Spain 4921
    Edinburgh (EDI),Great Britain 3913
    Wroclaw (WRO),Poland 3242