Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

When are the lisbon flights going on sale does anyone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Portugal isn't in your tables. That would be popular enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Portugal isn't in your tables. That would be popular enough.

Wasn't on the stats list for CSO either. Did Cork fly to Faro in Dec 2017?

Wasn't on the stats list for CSO either. Did Cork fly to Faro in Dec 2017?

Apologies, just realised it's not year round. It should be I think. Christmas would be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Apologies, just realised it's not year round. It should be I think. Christmas would be popular.

It will be from next winter.

• Advertisement

Lisbon still isn't showing for me when I select Cork airport. I selected for end of October onwards.

I assume they have plans to make it bookable soon.

Same. Sent the airlines twitter account a DM but got no response. Were suppose to be on sale last wk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

ORK-LIS flights now bookable on AL's website and once again Cork passengers are being screwed over on fares when compared to Dublin. Over double the price on pretty much all the dates I've tried.

See screenshots and try for yourself.

Both airports are run by the DAA... Why is this continuously an issue?! I would love an explanation from AL themselves as it is absolutely outrageous and completely unfair. No wonder people get the bus to Dublin Airport...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Aer Lingus ran no flights from Cork to Bordeaux for the Munster match as "they have an existing route to Bordeaux from Dublin but not from Cork".

Good to see Transavia & Jet2.com offering additional flights on their existing routes to Bordeaux for the match today (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

ORK-LIS flights now bookable on AL's website and once again Cork passengers are being screwed over on fares when compared to Dublin. Over double the price on pretty much all the dates I've tried.

Both airports are run by the DAA... Why is this continuously an issue?! I would love an explanation from AL themselves as it is absolutely outrageous and completely unfair. No wonder people get the bus to Dublin Airport...

When airlines put prices on sale first they generally take a few days to settle down, nobody will pay 200+ to fly to Lisbon. I would expect fares to be 100-130 return over next few days like DUB fares are.

• Advertisement

And also, nothing to do with the airports both being run by the DAA, and everything to do with no competition.

I hear this DAA thing practically every time I hear Cork, and to be honest it's just an excuse!

Again people having a go at the airport..its aerlingus ye need to complain to...coments on some pages just plain silly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

marno21 wrote:
    Aer Lingus ran no flights from Cork to Bordeaux for the Munster match as "they have an existing route to Bordeaux from Dublin but not from Cork".

marno21 wrote:
    Good to see Transavia & Jet2.com offering additional flights on their existing routes to Bordeaux for the match today (!)

Far from me making excuses for Aer Lingus but maybe they just did not have the capacity to operate a flight to there.

Also the Transavia and Jet 2 were both charter flights organised by travel agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

They would have to bring a plane from Dublin to operate the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Aer Lingus to Lisbon flights for sale. €235 return. Very steep considering it is double the Aer Lingus flight from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus to Lisbon flights for sale. €235 return. Very steep considering it is double the Aer Lingus flight from Dublin.

Yes..... €235 per person return in Feb 2019!!!!!
    €470 for the 2 of us BEFORE we start into seats, bags, priority etc!

A bit saucy for my liking! I guess we won't be going to Lisbon after all...

Masala wrote: »
    Yes..... €235 per person return in Feb 2019!!!!!
    €470 for the 2 of us BEFORE we start into seats, bags, priority etc!

A bit saucy for my liking! I guess we won't be going to Lisbon after all...

My brother and I were looking at going in November to catch a Sporting or Benfica match. For the price of the Cork flight, can get the Dublin flights, accomodation over there and the aircoach cost. Shame they pitched it so high. Can't see it lasting at that price point.

Holy mother of God, the flights have just been released for several months ahead. The prices will come down.

Can we maintain logic and common sense here, this isn't the Facebook group.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Holy mother of God, the flights have just been released for several months ahead. The prices will come down.

Is there not a DAA driven conspiracy to get the flights cancelled ?

Common sense would be pitching the price point at an attractive level for a new flight. It's a valid point and ok for people to bring it up - try not to get to defensive. People will vote with their wallets and this doesn't help and I say that as someone who hates flying out of Dublin.

"The prices will come down" - as you're so definite, when will that happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

"The prices will come down" - as you're so definite, when will that happen?

Over the next 6 months before the route starts my crystal ball says it'll go up and down. :D

marno21 wrote: »

Jaysus instead of engaging and acknowledging the significant price difference, smart comments rule the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Aer Aer Lingus re-defining the airline booking model??? I always thought that you booked early to get the best prices....not book early to get screwed!

Not going to be a successful if the message is '.. the prices are a starting price and they'll come down'!

Bit of Reggie Perrin business tactics that...

When a new route is released with Aer Lingus, it is set at a high base price. Prices are then later adjusted based on sales.

Prices from Cork will not drop to the same level as Dublin however, as they have compeition with Ryanair there, and none in Cork. That is simply hub economics and there's nothing new there.

However, continue screaming about discrimination with faux outrage all day long. It just won't achieve anything.

Jaysus instead of engaging and acknowledging the significant price difference, smart comments rule the day.

It wasn't a smart comment - if the Examiner picks up on this article there will be comments blaming the airport, the DAA etc. It's not their fault

Pricing of flights is an operational matter for Aer Lingus and they will price them accordingly - if no one books these flights at these prices the price will drop, if they are popular they will stay high. The high prices won't happen from Dublin because Ryanair also fly from there and if they price them high no one will book Aer Lingus.

I'm far from happy with how this goes but it's the way of the world and down to economics before anything esle

Aer Aer Lingus re-defining the airline booking model??? I always thought that you booked early to get the best prices....not book early to get screwed!

Not going to be a successful if the message is '.. the prices are a starting price and they'll come down'!

You're actually wrong there, even with Ryanair, if you book very very early, you will be generally screwed. Even take a look at Ryanairs current cheap routes, eg Dublin-Newcastle for €14.99, bookable on most dates in May.

Take a look at prices in November, and they're ALL €29.57. Why? Yield Management.

Take a look at this article from 2016: https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/revealed-the-cheapest-time-to-book-a-flight-out-of-ireland-34420006.html

It outlines when a flight is generally cheapest. In general, I would always try to book within the 6-12 week period for Europe, and 3-8 weeks for the UK. That's the cheapest in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I paid for a flight with Ryanair - 151 euro return from Cork to Alicante.

2 days later, it was 105 euro. Nothing I could do.

I even got the classic " 2 seats left at this price"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

marno21 wrote: »

Conspiracy-theorist-small.jpg

• Advertisement

If you have a look again on the aer lingus site after the 1st week or 2 the prices for the Lisbon flights have already dropped..ie go weekend of 23nov and can get return flights for 99 euro

Advertisement