Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If you have a look again on the aer lingus site after the 1st week or 2 the prices for the Lisbon flights have already dropped..ie go weekend of 23nov and can get return flights for 99 euro

As I said.

I notice much of the outraged posters have gone quiet :)

At least the route should easily make up the numbers from the lost Norwegian service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

If you have a look again on the aer lingus site after the 1st week or 2 the prices for the Lisbon flights have already dropped..ie go weekend of 23nov and can get return flights for 99 euro

There must be something wrong with booking engine.... as my dates in Feb say €44 and €55 one way in header but €112 anfd €123 is min fare showing. So... I am still coming out at €235 in Feb 2019

Masala wrote: »
    There must be something wrong with booking engine.... as my dates in Feb say €44 and €55 one way in header but €112 anfd €123 is min fare showing. So... I am still coming out at €235 in Feb 2019

Give it time, very early to be booking 10 months ahead. Did you read my post above?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Give it time, very early to be booking 10 months ahead. Did you read my post above?

I did... but am trying to get sorted for a wedding next Feb!!! Would be delighted to bag 2 flights for €€99 straight away if they appear. Don't think I could do better than €99 fir a Friday to Monday break!!

Masala wrote: »
    I did... but am trying to get sorted for a wedding next Feb!!! Would be delighted to bag 2 flights for €€99 straight away if they appear. Don't think I could do better than €99 fir a Friday to Monday break!!

Perhaps those prices may not be evident for months, but they should drop a nice bit in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

ORK-PVD carried 1,281 passengers in January, a 28.2% load

Shn99 wrote: »

Ouch. There was 2 outbounds that didn't operate so perhaps a little higher but that's a very poorly performing route.

in that case a 30.8% LF, still dire

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

By my figures, there were 9 PVD-ORK and 7 ORK-PVD flights in January, with 189 seats per flight (all flights were operated 7M8), that gives a total of 3,024 seats in January. With 1,281 passengers, that gives a 42.4% load. Am I miscalculating?

42.4% load is septic but not surprising. Flying point to point between Cork and a small airport in Rhode Island in January with no connections at either end and no business/premium economy - with the aircraft sitting on the ground in Cork for 8.5 hours during the day, a brand new 737 that is - it's no wonder Norwegian are in such bad shape. That's disasterous aircraft usage, a brand new 737 carrying 161 passengers in a 24 hour period, the whole days flying wouldn't even fill the plane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

You wonder in them 8 hours they would not try add flights to some as simple as London they could get 4 or more flights and charge Ryan Air prices and they be flying.

Other then that what a waste of a brand new 737 max.

But being honest 8 hours on a plane the size of a 737 not a hope I was near 13 hours on a 747 and in premium and I found it hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

You wonder in them 8 hours they would not try add flights to some as simple as London they could get 4 or more flights and charge Ryan Air prices and they be flying.

Other then that what a waste of a brand new 737 max.

But being honest 8 hours on a plane the size of a 737 not a hope I was near 13 hours on a 747 and in premium and I found it hard.

I have a feeling that crew rest might be the actual issue here. From what I’ve been able to gather, the crews that operate the Norwegian flights to Cork are actually based out of Providence. That means that by the time they land in Cork, they probably won’t be able to operate any more flights without violating crew rest regulations. Having a second crew on standby here in Cork probably wouldn’t be too economical either.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    Having a second crew on standby here in Cork probably wouldn’t be too economical either.

Do they manage to avoid this by having a long layover?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Do they manage to avoid this by having a long layover?

They usually go by taxi to Dublin or Shannon and fly from there the following day. The crew that land in Shannon or Dublin then travel to Cork to a hotel and then fly from here a day later. It's usually crew based in PVD or EDI that operate the Cork flight.

.red. wrote: »
    They usually go by taxi to Dublin or Shannon and fly from there the following day. The crew that land in Shannon or Dublin then travel to Cork to a hotel and then fly from here a day later. It's usually crew based in PVD or EDI that operate the Cork flight.

So crew are overnighted. Hence long layover is not crew related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Madness flying this route in January. It should be a May-October, that's when most people start their holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

roundymac wrote: »
    Madness flying this route in January. It should be a May-October, that's when most people start their holidays.

Yep, add in 2/3 flights either side of Christmas too as they would be full.
    There's a town very near the airport, can't remember what it's called but it's supposed to be beautiful, like an American Kinsale(Newport maybe??)
    You also have loads of stunning small towns and holiday destinations an hour from the airport but these were never marketed by the airport or airline. They could have been worth plenty of seats, the flight isn't much more than the canaries. If the price was right it could have been an alternative summer destination but it was sold exclusively as a route into Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

.red. wrote: »
    Yep, add in 2/3 flights either side of Christmas too as they would be full.
    There's a town very near the airport, can't remember what it's called but it's supposed to be beautiful, like an American Kinsale(Newport maybe??)
    You also have loads of stunning small towns and holiday destinations an hour from the airport but these were never marketed by the airport or airline. They could have been worth plenty of seats, the flight isn't much more than the canaries. If the price was right it could have been an alternative summer destination but it was sold exclusively as a route into Boston.

I believe your thinking of Cape Cod?, meant to be lovely alright. Newport is similar and is also beautiful apperantly! Personally I think the flights are stopping a week early, they are stopping just before the Oct/Nov midterm, which myself and a lot of people I know were looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

It really doesn't matter. Overall passenger numbers are substantially higher at Cork and the gap will widen even further in the short to medium term. Shannon airport must be a dismal place to work at the moment and what's this drive in movie crap going on there?

zetalambda wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter. Overall passenger numbers are substantially higher at Cork and the gap will widen even further in the short to medium term. Shannon airport must be a dismal place to work at the moment and what's this drive in movie crap going on there?

Why are you attacking Shannon here? There was no reference made.

Quite childish really.

When a new route is released with Aer Lingus, it is set at a high base price. Prices are then later adjusted based on sales.

Prices from Cork will not drop to the same level as Dublin however, as they have compeition with Ryanair there, and none in Cork. That is simply hub economics and there's nothing new there.

Its called screwing the customer and it's done by all kinds of business not just airlines but the problem with this business model is that if a competitor enters the market everyone jumps ship. Air France as an example. Cork to Paris is the Bus EirLingus route I use most but from next month I'll use Air France even it may cost more. I'll still use Bus EirLingus for other routes for the time being.

• Advertisement

Shannon airport must be a dismal place to work at the moment and what's this drive in movie crap going on there?

Its called getting good publicity and making money...how come its such a dismal place to work??

It really doesn't matter. Overall passenger numbers are substantially higher at Cork and the gap will widen even further in the short to medium term.

Not sure they will be substantially higher this summer, SNN-PVD has been doubled to 4x/wk

Its called getting good publicity and making money...how come its such a dismal place to work??

It's called desperation.

why are you attacking shannon all of a sudden? is it because i pointed out the low loads on ORK-PVD and the letters "shn" are in my name? do you feel threatened?

Not sure they will be substantially higher this summer, SNN-PVD has been doubled to 4x/wk

Let's not get into a my airport is better than your airport argument. The figures speak for themselves. 2.3 M versus 1.7 M

It's called desperation.
    Let's not get into a my airport is better than your airport argument. The figures speak for themselves. 2.3 M versus 1.7 M

Who cares? We were on about ORK-PVD with Norwegian....absolutely nothing got to do with shannon yet all of a sudden you just comment "Shannon must be a really dismal place to work"...grow up and lets get back on topic

Who cares? We were on about ORK-PVD with Norwegian....absolutely nothing got to do with shannon yet all of a sudden you just comment "Shannon must be a really dismal place to work"...grow up and lets get back on topic

You obviously do an awful lot judging from all your replies coupled with your posts in other threads and forums!

You obviously do an awful lot judging from all your replies coupled with your posts in other threads and forums!
    i can say the exact same for you taking a quick look at your posts

I'll close my argument with 2 words:

Niall MacCarthy

(Current Cork Airport manager and former Shannon Airport manager. Apparently he didn't seem too optimistic about the future of Shannon!)

• Advertisement

This is quite bizzare really. Nobody's disagreeing that Cork has more passengers than Shannon, and other than attemptiong to jab a state owned body in another county I see no sense to your incoherent rambles.

If we're having a discussion, let's keep it on the lucid and coherent stage.

Advertisement