Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

We realistically should have a ORK vs SNN thread at this point just to move these petty arguments out of actually otherwise interesting threads. Getting ridiculous at this point, you cannot compare the airports in some senses. Cork has better European coverage, with Connections from LHR, AMS and CDG being great. SNN has better direct US connections with airlines that fly into actual cities rather then secondary cities. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Be great if we could get back on topic about the PVD route rather then bashing other airports.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We realistically should have a ORK vs SNN thread at this point just to move these petty arguments out of actually otherwise interesting threads. Getting ridiculous at this point, you cannot compare the airports in some senses. Cork has better European coverage, with Connections from LHR, AMS and CDG being great. SNN has better direct US connections with airlines that fly into actual cities rather then secondary cities. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Be great if we could get back on topic about the PVD route rather then bashing other airports.

Shannons transatlantic services have a massive advantage of stateside connections. You can fly to 100+ destinations with one hop ex Shannon especially big ones like LAX, SFO, MCO, MIA, ORD etc

Cork has one destination and that's a small airport in Rhode Island. It's no wonder the Providence service is struggling in winter with no business traffic and an extremely limited portfolio of destinations

marno21 wrote: »
    Shannons transatlantic services have a massive advantage of stateside connections. You can fly to 100+ destinations with one hop ex Shannon especially big ones like LAX, SFO, MCO, MIA, ORD etc

Cork has one destination and that's a small airport in Rhode Island. It's no wonder the Providence service is struggling in winter with no business traffic and an extremely limited portfolio of destinations

Aye that's what I said , Shannon has better transatlantic services flying into main cities rather then (or even it has both) secondary ones and has a name for years of being a transatlantic airport. Cork has had one secondary city transatlantic route for less than a year which isn't a very popular destination (and one a lot of people wouldn't have heard of anyway). But as I said both airports have advantages and disadvantages , it's no use saying one airport is better then another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

JCX BXC wrote: »
    This is quite bizzare really. Nobody's disagreeing that Cork has more passengers than Shannon, and other than attemptiong to jab a state owned body in another county I see no sense to your incoherent rambles.

If we're having a discussion, let's keep it on the lucid and coherent stage.

My thoughts exactly. First he's blowing on about low numbers out of Cork when the numbers out of Shannon were even lower and both routes were cut. His subsequent posts were just gibberish. The reality is that the entire mid-West region is stagnant not just the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

zetalambda wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. First he's blowing on about low numbers out of Cork when the numbers out of Shannon were even lower and both routes were cut. His subsequent posts were just gibberish. The reality is that the entire mid-West region is stagnant not just the airport.

I think they were referring to you...could be wrong.., and SNN-SWF was increased to daily for the winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No, I'm referring to you. Shannon was not brought into the equation whatsoever, until you decided to have such a concerning fit in regards to the subject. I may also point out that A). The passenger numbers on said route were higher at Shannon for January (1788 vs 1281) and B). Shannon only lost 1 of 2 routes, with Stewart being expanded to daily for winter. However, I'm not sure why your so obsessive over the issue, it's not like it matters about Shannon whatsoever.

I'm not sure where this hatrid has come from, but I'd suggest we discuss this like adults. I'm not sure any users here respect such poor quality contributions. This isn't Facebook, many users on here try to keep to respectful and genuine discussions.

As for the next jab at the mid west, well that's neither accurate nor on topic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shn99 wrote: »
    I think they were referring to you...could be wrong.., and SNN-SWF was increased to daily for the winter

Another atrocious decision by Norwegian. Who knows if they'll even last the winter

Another atrocious decision by Norwegian. Who knows if they'll even last the winter

suicide for them, EI also cut boston in favour of a 6x weekly to new york between jan and march

It will be interesting to see what happens once SWF airport is updated, I believe I read somewhere they want to make it bigger. If it gets bigger it may be more attractive with better connections, but while Boston is a popular route, especially for Irish, I don't think people connect Providence with Boston (Considering it is a different state!) and hence don't use the flight much. Either way Norweigan are expanding far too fast, shaky waters for them.

Agreed. The losses will be truly eyewatering. They have a breakeven loadfactor of over 90% on TATL routes, if that wasn't even close to met in this January on 2x weekly with no compeition, why would it be met next winter with a daily filght and strong competition?

Entirely off topic for this thread however.

• Advertisement

Agreed. The losses will be truly eyewatering. They have a breakeven loadfactor of over 90% on TATL routes, if that wasn't even close to met in this January on 2x weekly with no compeition, why would it be met next winter with a daily filght and strong competition?

Entirely off topic for this thread however.
    Indeed. If UA/EI are struggling with the route it will be terrible for D8 flying to NY state, with no business class and poor yields.

It'll be interesting to see how long Norwegian last, more brutal results for them last week.

Indeed. If UA/EI are struggling with the route it will be terrible for D8 flying to NY state, with no business class and poor yields.

It'll be interesting to see how long Norwegian last, more brutal results for them last week.

UA and EI both had a higher load factor than DY in november, same in dec for EI

All of the routes to SWF and PVD should be summer seasonal only, its the only chance they have of making a profit on any of them

All of the routes to SWF and PVD should be summer seasonal only, its the only chance they have of making a profit on any of them

They may as well cut all their american Network, as their TATL ops are horribly loss making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

No, I'm referring to you. Shannon was not brought into the equation whatsoever, until you decided to have such a concerning fit in regards to the subject. I may also point out that A). The passenger numbers on said route were higher at Shannon for January (1788 vs 1281) and B). Shannon only lost 1 of 2 routes, with Stewart being expanded to daily for winter. However, I'm not sure why your so obsessive over the issue, it's not like it matters about Shannon whatsoever.

I'm not sure where this hatrid has come from, but I'd suggest we discuss this like adults. I'm not sure any users here respect such poor quality contributions. This isn't Facebook, many users on here try to keep to respectful and genuine discussions.

To be honest I couldn't care less or more about:

A). Any Irish airport other than Cork (because it's the only one I use).

B). Any route from Cork other than Paris and London (as they're the only ones I use).

Nothing else about aviation in Ireland other than the above interests me very much!

Perhaps we should all head over the the Shannon airport thread and point out how routes are being dropped, curtailed, lack of routes, low numbers, etc, etc. Or maybe that would be considered trolling.

As I pointed out earlier there's not much happening at Shannon airport or the entire mid-West region including Limerick city. When you think of economic development and infrastructure projects on the island of Ireland, it's all happening in Belfast, Cork and Dublin.

Even Ed Sheeran is avoiding the mid-West on his Irish tour!! :D

B). Any route from Cork other than Paris and London (as they're the only ones I use).

Nothing else about aviation in Ireland other than the above interests me very much!

Perhaps we should all head over the the Shannon airport thread and point out how routes are being dropped, curtailed, lack of routes, low numbers, etc, etc. Or maybe that would be considered trolling.

As I pointed out earlier there's not much happening at Shannon airport or the entire mid-West region including Limerick city. When you think of economic development and infrastructure projects on the island of Ireland, it's all happening in Belfast, Cork and Dublin.

The point is they aren't trolling they are telling facts ; PVD isn't a profitable route for Cork rn with low loads. And if you go to the Shannon thread you will see them doing the exact same over there , talking about how they lost a few American routes etc. They have often posted about new routes to Cork s well as posting the positive growth statistics for us here etc. People just don't want to visit a bit very well known city in winter. I know a good few people flying with them in the summer however so all we can do is wait and see what the loads for summer are like.

Honestly, it’s unfortunate you feel so threatened because of my name. I have no problem contributing to this group, I was actually doing the January 2018 stats yesterday for cork but gave up because of the bedrugery. And get your facts right before you post

How very mature of you :)

I'm sure that's not all you care about, because you suddenly seem hell bent on discussing Shannon, and hell-bent on discussing other routes from Cork.

Nothing happening at Shannon? Sure you wouldn't know anyway, all that matters is your 2 routes :)And with such a Cork centric attitude, I'm surprised you know the mid west exists at all!

Anyway, that post can be forgiven, you were up way past your bedtime :)

Honestly, it’s unfortunate you feel so threatened because of my name. I have no problem contributing to this group, I was actually doing the January 2018 stats yesterday for cork but gave up because of the bedrugery. And get your facts right before you post

From a non-troll that likes facts ,please do keep posting those stats. Most of us here like actual discussions :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

You are like a walking cliche.

Post above shows you haven't an absolute clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Any chance we could get back on track instead of the bickering.

Any chance we could get back on track instead of the bickering.

Go ahead, start the discussion on the right track!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Can we get back to topic in hand and stop the moaning/sniping/bit*hing please?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Anna Aero stats put the March traffic at 155k, essentially flat at an increase of 0.4%. Q1 is up 10k or 2.5% on last year. Overall the first 3 months of the year are still a very slow period for Cork. 
    Anybody know how things are going up on Belfast City? If the trends from last year continue, Cork has a chance to overtake it as 3rd busiest airport on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Go ahead, start the discussion on the right track!

Well you’re a delight.

Well you’re a delight.

A contribution generally helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

A contribution generally helps.

I'll do the honour then, if you don't mind ;)

Haven't seen it mentioned on here yet, but the Jack Lynch Lounge is currently being refurbished. According to Cork Airport's Twitter Page, the new lounge, operated by Executive Lounges (Swissport) under the Aspire Lounge brand, will open on May 14th. Here's a link as to what we can expect:

https://www.executivelounges.com/airport-lounges/cork-airport-aspire-lounge

Apparently, it'll be the first Aspire Lounge in Ireland. You don't need to have frequent flyer status or a business class ticket to use these lounges, you can just prebook or pay at the reception. I've used their lounges both in Amsterdam and Bristol, and I always find them good value for money.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Yes, looking forward to trying out the lounge soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Would be great if you could track pax using the hubs to connect to Logan. Norweigan are only tapping a small amount of the Cork - Boston market especially in winter (mainly business traffic), with the PVD location and poor frequency service for business pax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Have a flight in July at 11am, might take advantage of the lounge and breakfast.

Advertisement