Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Cork January 2018

United Kingdom
    ---- ROUTE 2017 | 2018 | % Change
    London - Heathrow (LHR),Great Britain 27,193 | 26,916 | -1.0
    London - Stansted (STN),Great Britain 25,779 | 26,301 | +2.0
    London - Gatwick (LGW),Great Britain 9,626 | 9,734 | +1.1
    Manchester (MAN),Great Britain 6,885 | 7,206 | +4.7
    Liverpool (LPL),Great Britain 6,882 | 6,635 | -3.6
    Birmingham - Uk (BHX),Great Britain 5,264 | 5,203 | -1.2
    Edinburgh (EDI),Great Britain 2,377 | 3,160 | +32.9
    Bristol (BRS),Great Britain 2,441 | 2,316 |-5.1
    Glasgow (GLA),Great Britain 1,504 | 1,480 | -1.6
    Southampton (SOU),Great Britain 889 | 1,059 | +19.1
    Cardiff (CWL),Great Britain 814 | 789 | -3.1
    Newcastle (NCL),Great Britain 860 | 660 | -23.3
    OVERALL 90,514 | 91,459 | +1.0
    ---
    Sun Routes
    ----
    Lanzarote (ACE),Spain 7,171 | 8,247 | +15.0
    Malaga (AGP),Spain 4,734 | 5,365 | +13.3
    Tenerife Sur - Reina Sofia (TFS),Spain 2,485 | 2,595 | +4.4
    Las Palmas (LPA),Spain 2,142 | 2,548 | +19.0
    OVERALL 16,532 | 18,755 | +13.4
    ---
    Europe
    ----
    Amsterdam (AMS),Netherlands 11,862 | 12,528 | +5.6
    Paris - Charles De Gaulle (CDG),France 6,238 | 5,815 | -6.8
    Wroclaw (WRO),Poland 3,014 | 3,126 | +3.7
    Gdansk (GDN),Poland 1,314 | 1,403 | +6.8
    Salzburg (SZG),Austria 1,280 | 1,358 | +6.1
    Munich - Franz Josef Strauss (MUC),Germany 1,006 | 991 | -1.5
    OVERALL 24,714 | 25,221 | +2.1
    ----
    North America
    ----
    Providence - TF Green (PVD),USA 0 | 1,281 | NEW
    OVERALL 0 | 1,281 | NEW
    ----
    January 2018 Total 131,760 | 136,716 | +3.8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

thomil wrote: »

Haven't seen it mentioned on here yet, but the Jack Lynch Lounge is currently being refurbished. According to Cork Airport's Twitter Page, the new lounge, operated by Executive Lounges (Swissport) under the Aspire Lounge brand, will open on May 14th. Here's a link as to what we can expect:

https://www.executivelounges.com/airport-lounges/cork-airport-aspire-lounge

Flying out on the morning of 15th, tempted to give it a try. My usual ritual is to have my last pint of Murphy's before heading off, but it might be a nice change though.

Price seems to be £21.75, tried to change it to Euros, but it keeps bouncing back to £, it's probably €25 anyway

The important bit:

THE BAR SERVICE

What better way to start your holiday than with a glass of your favourite tipple.

Allow us to pour you your choice of Red, White or Rosé Wine, or perhaps a draught beer is more your thing - all free as part of the entry fee.

There is also a great range of spirits to choose from - We always ask that guests drink responsibly however, as guests that appear intoxicated may not be allowed to board their flight.

Guests are free to help themselves to soft drinks, fruit juices, speciality teas and freshly brewed coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya, if you're in there for the full 3 hours, its certainly a cheaper alternative than getting breakfast/food outside and propping up the bar.

I've done lounges in JFK and Dublin and I've never done the dog on the free food and booze but I've definitely managed to take more than what I paid for. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Is the EI KLM codeshare ending? Can’t book through the KLM website next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Shn99 wrote: »
    Is the EI KLM codeshare ending? Can’t book through the KLM website next month.
    As per Pprune:
    It seems that over the summer the KLM codeshare is on only a few of the flights but in the winter it returns to all of them, at least on the KLM website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not available in the winter either,being re routed via CDG with AF

Not available in the winter either,being re routed via CDG with AF

I just checked September on skyscanner for Cork to Hong Kong and KLM via Amsterdam were an option

Went back to have a look in case I was missing something and definitely nothing, not even tomorrow Friday or Saturday. Only appears after the 26th of May via CDG

• Advertisement

When you punch in ORK-HKG into the website it comes up no problem however if you put in ORK-AMS your re routed through CDG, odd

When you punch in ORK-HKG into the website it comes up no problem however if you put in ORK-AMS your re routed through CDG, odd

I'm seeing a route via Schiphol in the first link I click.... I would imagine the rerouting for ORK-AMS is promoting AerFrance KLM over IAG.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

snotboogie wrote: »
    I just checked September on skyscanner for Cork to Hong Kong and KLM via Amsterdam were an option

Winter season is late October-late March

Nothing strange here, KLM can't sell the ORK-AMS segment, and have never been able to.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Winter season is late October-late March

I have no idea about the winter schedule beyond the pprune post. Those sept dates were in my app already and saw the KLM route straight away.

I have actually been one of the most pessimistic about the future of this route, at least with Aerlingus but I've seen it pop up anytime I've searched for flights out east this year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Norwegian-called-to-explain-winter-flight-stoppage-fb14b32d-e2dd-49dd-a4f7-9da67fd47560-ds

Jerry Buttimer wants to haul Norwegian CEO Bjorn Kjos and the head of the DAA in front of the Oireachas Transport committee to explain themselves over Norwegian's Providence route becoming seasonal

What this will achieve I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

marno21 wrote: »
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Norwegian-called-to-explain-winter-flight-stoppage-fb14b32d-e2dd-49dd-a4f7-9da67fd47560-ds

Jerry Buttimer wants to haul Norwegian CEO Bjorn Kjos and the head of the DAA in front of the Oireachas Transport committee to explain themselves over Norwegian's Providence route becoming seasonal

Will he do this every time an airline starts ends a route or changes frequency? ridiculous for a TD to think he can dictate what an airline can fly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

vg88 wrote: »
    Will he do this every time an airline starts ends a route or changes frequency? ridiculous for a TD to think he can dictate what an airline can fly.

*Senator. He lost his seat at the last election

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

*Senator. He lost his seat at the last election

Probably has to try make himself somewhat useful. Would DAA or Norwegian CEOs be required to turn up if asked to?

All it will achieve is scaring off any other carrier who wants to take a punt on a high profile speculative route out of Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

A bit of air time for Buttimer to keep his name in the media, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

This route from Cork to Providence by a low cost carrier to the US now seems like a ploy to get flights out of other Irish airports to US.
    Norwegian had to apply to US authorities for permission for this service which was originating from an airport that did not have a scheduled service into the US.
    At the end of it, they even had the EU in their corner.
    Eventually the licence was granted and suddenly new routes out of other Irish airports were also announced, ones which had existing services to the US.

So the first winter and their passenger numbers ex Cork were low, were they really surprised by this?
    Then they cut the service back.

Now I am far from supporting a politician here but even to me, there is something not right here and I feel they should be made answer a few questions about this.

A lot of guys over on the aviation forum here felt from the start that this service out of Cork was just a way in and that Norwegian would eventually pull it.

I am of the same opinion now.

They said they would introduce a route to New York when the new 737 max planes were in use.
    They have been in use for ages now and still no route to NY from Cork, but there are from other Irish airports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

kub wrote: »
    This route from Cork to Providence by a low cost carrier to the US now seems like a ploy to get flights out of other Irish airports to US.
    Norwegian had to apply to US authorities for permission for this service which was originating from an airport that did not have a scheduled service into the US.
    Eventually the licence was granted and suddenly new routes out of other Irish airports were also announced, ones which had existing services to the US.

So the first winter and their passenger numbers ex Cork were low, were they really surprised by this?

Now I am far from supporting a politician here but even to me, there is something not right here and I feel they should be made answer a few questions about this.

A lot of guys over on the aviation forum here felt from the start that this service out of Cork was just a way in and that Norwegian would eventually pull it.

They said they would introduce a route to New York when the new 737 max planes were in use.
    They have been in use for ages now and still no route to NY from Cork, but there are from other Irish airports.

It's a numbers game. No airline is going to fly a route with half empty planes. Norwegians financial pressure probably means they can't absorb the loses for as long as some other more established airline might be able to as well. I don't agree either that Cork was used as a Trojan horse. That's tin hat stuff :) If that was the case, then why did they start flights out of Shannon and Belfast too? I just think things aren't working out quite as well as they hoped for. And if an airline has to consolidate 3 routes into 1 then the largest airport will understandably be the one to benefit which in this case is Dublin.

kub wrote: »

It was said from the beginning by many on here that this would happen. There's no reason for surprise. You are wrong in your assertion that they just surprisingly announced loads of other flights too. It was made clear from before any license was granted that they intended to start flights from more than Cork, even Shannon airport gave their support for the license. The license was not granted with the caveat that 'cork has to have a service'. It's a license to operate to the US. Nothing more l, nothing less.

First winter, numbers weren't just low, they were shockingly low. Shannon and Dublin had higher numbers despite the competition. Note Belfast has also lost it's service, so it's not the great Cork conspiracy that you're making it out to be.

They said they'd look at such a service. Numbers were poor on the Providence service, so no reason to believe Stewart would be any difference.

Questions should not be asked, and quite frankly it's embarrassing that such comments are being made. As others have said, it'll just make other airlines think twice about starting in Cork, as they'll be berated in the media by public officials if they choose can't maintain the route.

At the end of the day, it was only 2x weekly in Winter, the newly announced Cork-Lisbon route will provide more passengers, yet there's nothing made of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

First winter, numbers weren't just low, they were shockingly low. Shannon and Dublin had higher numbers despite the competition. Note Belfast has also lost it's service, so it's not the great Cork conspiracy that you're making it out to be.

Incorrect. Cork has higher numbers than Shannon on the Providence route this winter so far (CSO).
    October:
    Cork - 2331 Shannon - 1830
    November:
    Cork - 2020 Shannon - 1656
    December:
    Cork - 2084 Shannon - 1874
    January:
    Cork - 1281 Shannon - 1788

Total (so far this winter)
    Cork - 7716 Shannon - 7148

Cork had a very poor January but 2 flights were cancelled which slightly skewed the figures. Cork still has carried 568 more pax but as soon as Cork had a bad month the usual crowd just jumped on it. Cork also has greater competition on its PVD route (not Shannon), as it has much better hub connectivity to Logan, which imo outweighs Shannon's competition of a single daily direct flight to Logan and limited hub connectivity.

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Incorrect. Cork has higher numbers than Shannon on the Providence route this winter so far (CSO).
    October:
    Cork - 2331 Shannon - 1830
    November:
    Cork - 2020 Shannon - 1656
    December:
    Cork - 2084 Shannon - 1874
    January:
    Cork - 1281 Shannon - 1788

Total (so far this winter)
    Cork - 7716 Shannon - 7148

Cork had a very poor January but 2 flights were cancelled which slightly skewed the figures. Cork still has carried 568 more pax but as soon as Cork had a bad month the usual crowd just jumped on it. Cork also has greater competition on its PVD route (not Shannon), as it has much better hub connectivity to Logan, which imo outweighs Shannon's competition of a single daily direct flight to Logan and limited hub connectivity.

Most of October is not Winter, just the 26th-31st ish. Cork had 3x weekly flights for Summer, so we'll remove October. That brings it to Cork- 5385 and Shannon- 5318. Granted an extremely narrow lead, I had intended to focus on January.

Hub connectivity? I.e having Amsterdam (as both airport have Heahtrow) as a way to get to Boston, is better than Shannon's direct flight to Boston? I've heard it all now to be honest. How did you reach that conclusion? 1+1 does not equal 5000!

On an aside, I cannot access the CSO statistics at the moment. Anyone else having a similar issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Most of October is not Winter, just the 26th-31st ish. Cork had 3x weekly flights for Summer, so we'll remove October. That brings it to Cork- 5385 and Shannon- 5318. Granted an extremely narrow lead, I had intended to focus on January.

Yeah, focus on January when it suits you, pathetic.
    Hub connectivity? I.e having Amsterdam (as both airport have Heahtrow) as a way to get to Boston, is better than Shannon's direct flight to Boston?

Hub connectivity gives pax (mainly business) a choice of daily flights (morning evening etc.. which ever suits) to connect to Logan which makes a big difference, hope you can grasp that!
    Also Cork has much greater capacity on its Heathrow service (don't be so naive), along with daily connectivity to CDG and Schiphol.

CSO stats is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

It was said from the beginning by many on here that this would happen. There's no reason for surprise. You are wrong in your assertion that they just surprisingly announced loads of other flights too. It was made clear from before any license was granted that they intended to start flights from more than Cork, even Shannon airport gave their support for the license. The license was not granted with the caveat that 'cork has to have a service'. It's a license to operate to the US. Nothing more l, nothing less.

They said they'd look at such a service. Numbers were poor on the Providence service, so no reason to believe Stewart would be any difference.

Questions should not be asked, and quite frankly it's embarrassing that such comments are being made. As others have said, it'll just make other airlines think twice about starting in Cork, as they'll be berated in the media by public officials if they choose can't maintain the route.

At the end of the day, it was only 2x weekly in Winter, the newly announced Cork-Lisbon route will provide more passengers, yet there's nothing made of that.

I was not surprised, neither will i be surprised when they pull out completely. With regard to Shannon/ Dubin/ Belfast, I was referring to the earliest reports of this proposed service being only operating from Cork.

I was unaware that they were pulling the Belfast service and I never had a Cork conspiracy going on. Gerry Buttimer is a politician based in Cork so therefore i cannot help but assume he is banging the local drum.

Norwegian were in financial trouble even before these services started and i am surprised they had the resources to even start them, neverlone having a brand new aircraft sitting on the tarmac in an Irish airport for up to 8 hours a day. Aircraft utilisation is very poor for a low cost carrier, I cannot imagine the likes of Ryanair or Easyjet having planes parked up like that.

I am sorry also that this seems to have again become a Cork v Shannon thing, that was not my intention.

Anyone want to create a SNN vs ORK thread? Getting ridicilous at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

No point really. Cork airports catchment area has about double the amount of people that Shannon airport has so Cork will always perform better when it comes to total passenger numbers. Plus, Cork is the economic driver for the region. :)

Advertisement