Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

marno21 wrote: »
    Jet2 were running 737s on this route not too long ago. Surely some amount of viability there.

With the hen/stag market there surely is. You couldn't get a Fri-Sun route with Aer Lingus which was horrendous planning. Thurs-Tues only and all the times I checked it was about €300+. Most I ever paid with Jet2 for a return was about €100.

Same with Liverpool I think, no Fri-Sun flights which is a shame.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

With the hen/stag market there surely is. You couldn't get a Fri-Sun route with Aer Lingus which was horrendous planning. Thurs-Fri only and all the times I checked it was about €300+. Most I ever paid with Jet2 for a return was about €100.

Same with Liverpool I think, no Fri-Sun flights which is a shame.

That makes a lot of sense so. I can't understand running a NCL route from Cork without Fri/Sun options

There is a Fri/Sun option for Liverpool alright. Leaves Friday at 4:10pm which is handy but the return flight from Liverpool is at 7:10am Sunday morning. I'd imagine a good few people would use the EI service from Manchester for the return leg.. or Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Both newscastle and liverpool should have a friday and sun service very popular for hens/stag and liverpool would have a significant number of Irish students too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Both newscastle and liverpool should have a friday and sun service very popular for hens/stag and liverpool would have a significant number of Irish students too.

Where do you get the aircraft to do this? Take them off the more profitable EDI, MAN and BHX runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Not to mention Premiership soccer fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Royals arrived into Cork this afternoon onboard Embraer Legacy 650 G-TCMC as "Sparrowhawk 28"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

roundymac wrote: »
    Not to mention Premiership soccer fans.

This.
    It's very easy to get tickets for Newcastle games, a decent alternative to go watch your team at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Lived in NCL for 5 years and the Jet2 flights were brilliant at the time, fly into Cork on Friday evening and back on Sunday. Flights were generally busy with students and Geordies both ways. It was always funny on a Friday night seeing Irish groups who stayed at Jury's venture to the nearest pubs which happened to be the gay bar area of the city :D
    Thursday and Tuesday flights seem self defeating, missing out on the stag/hen traffic and match weekend crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭DontBanMe

Hey,

Not sure if this is the right place or if there is a right palce for this. Wondering if anyone has any promo/discount codes for parkin Cork Airport?

Haven't parked there before so not sure on it, so any tips also appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

This article is absolutely all over the place but it does give a small insight into the plans for Cork.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/in-the-workplace/cork-looks-to-medium-long-haul-as-its-business-offering-grows-37017952.html
    In short it seems that they think Norwegian will stay seasonally and they are still aggressively pushing for more North American links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Lived in NCL for 5 years and the Jet2 flights were brilliant at the time, fly into Cork on Friday evening and back on Sunday. Flights were generally busy with students and Geordies both ways. It was always funny on a Friday night seeing Irish groups who stayed at Jury's venture to the nearest pubs which happened to be the gay bar area of the city :D
    Thursday and Tuesday flights seem self defeating, missing out on the stag/hen traffic and match weekend crowds.

Also did this route many a time as I studied over there.

Man that was an old plane they used though. I also heard somewhere that perhaps they used that route as a training ground for new pilots since it was the shortest route at the time they offered? god knows where I heard or read that, just a memory. Those landings were rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

the nose wheel on a light aircraft has collapsed upon landing at Cork, traffic diverting. No injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shn99 wrote: »
    the nose wheel on a light aircraft has collapsed upon landing at Cork, traffic diverting. No injuries

RWY25 is open to turboprops, and FR9853 from Gatwick is hoping to hold until 16/34 reopens.

Another 20mins according to ATC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

FR9853 still circling Youghal.

Moving to Cork now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Jeez, is that Gatwick flight ever on time?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Flying home tomorrow from Zurich for a week with Swiss, it seems they have a Bombadier CS300 for the route now, at least, thats what Im flying in tomorrow.

Hopefully it will be full

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Flying home tomorrow from Zurich for a week with Swiss, it seems they have a Bombadier CS300 for the route now, at least, thats what Im flying in tomorrow.

The route is doing very well, full or almost full every time.
    Air France is doing even better, over booked a good few days and rumours that a 2nd morning flight will be announced to make the mid day- afternoon connections possible.

.red. wrote: »

The route is doing very well, full or almost full every time.
    Air France is doing even better, over booked a good few days and rumours that a 2nd morning flight will be announced to make the mid day- afternoon connections possible.
    I wonder whether that would be a hindrance or help to the long term possibility of a KLM Cityhopper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

snotboogie wrote: »
    I wonder whether that would be a hindrance or help to the long term possibility of a KLM Cityhopper?

Also is it a hinderance to Aer Lingus and their existing Paris service?

Great to see other airlines operating out of Cork rather than just Ryanair and Aer Lingus.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »

Great to see other airlines operating out of Cork rather than just Ryanair and Aer Lingus.
    EI's existing Paris service was Cork-Paris only with no connections, whereas the AF service is aimed at people connecting onward from Charles de Gaulle. The planes Aer Lingus use on the route have 174 seats whereas Air France's planes have 76 seats. If anything these long haul connections would impact EI's London Heathrow service or the EI/KLM Amsterdam codeshared service.

Long term, it'll remain to be seen how long the EI/KLM codeshare will remain on the AMS route. If that gets dropped it will likely lead to a reduction in EI flights, but Schipol airport is quite congested so there may not be capacity for KLM to take over completely. Given that Air France and KLM are co-owned there may be a push to get people to route via Paris instead of Amsterdam with this new Air France service.

Absolutely delighted to see how successful it seems to be.

kub wrote: »

Depends how much is point to point on the AF route I guess. A morning flight into Paris would very interesting, the big worry is the January and February numbers which tend to decimate non established airlines in Cork. I still worry about the Amsterdam connection, especially from a selfish perspective as I much prefer Schiphol to CDG and Heathrow. The ideal scenario would be 1-2 Hop and Cityhopper flights to Paris and Amsterdam a day with Aerlingus point to point services backing them up 5-10 times per week, depending on the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I flew Air France travelling recently and was impressed. It was the same price as Aer Lingus but free drinks and food were served which is a nice touch. I prefer the 2 X 2 seats also as you're not next to a stranger if you're a couple travelling.

The flight going over had a few free seats but the flight back was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I flew Air France travelling recently and was impressed. It was the same price as Aer Lingus but free drinks and food were served which is a nice touch. I prefer the 2 X 2 seats also as you're not next to a stranger if you're a couple travelling.

The flight going over had a few free seats but the flight back was full.

Good to hear.

I've a flight with them on the 14th, just hoping there isn't an all out ATC strike to coincide with Fête Nationale.

I'm already planning another trip for next May, as it's working out way easier to book a €10 TGV ticket via Ouigo, 5/6 months in advance to the south, than any other method I've researched.

Might even come back with Swiss via Zurich, as my original plan was to get a connecting flight there to Nice and head back the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Good to hear.

I've a flight with them on the 14th, just hoping there isn't an all out ATC strike to coincide with Fête Nationale.

I'm already planning another trip for next May, as it's working out way easier to book a €10 TGV ticket via Ouigo, 5/6 months in advance to the south, than any other method I've researched.

Might even come back with Swiss via Zurich, as my original plan was to get a connecting flight there to Nice and head back the same way.

Unfortunately booking one way tickets with Swiss, connecting in Zurich, is at least double the price of a return ticket :(

31,000 Travel Cork to PVD over 12 months
    That indicates 12,100 from March through June. That is a slightly bigger total than the 12,000 over the first four months (July to Oct) after the launch. It indicates an unbelievable recovery in numbers since the very disappointing winter.
    I may not be comparing exactly like with like here; for instance I'm not sure when the service switched from 3 times to twice per week and then back? I think the service launched on July 1st right and took in a full month?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

DAA being blamed by radio people on Redfin his morning for corks lack of flights . “Dublin has 6 flights a day to Brussels yet Cork has none! DAA routing everybody through Dublin” blah blah. About homeless tents and then that, meh

DAA being blamed by radio people on Redfin his morning for corks lack of flights . “Dublin has 6 flights a day to Brussels yet Cork has none! DAA routing everybody through Dublin” blah blah. About homeless tents and then that, meh
    I have no idea why the coverage is so negative? On that note, the May numbers are out with 220k pax for 6.5% growth. That's the busiest May since 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I have no idea why the coverage is so negative? On that note, the May numbers are out with 220k pax for 6.5% growth. That's the busiest May since 2009.

Not that we will ever hear that on the radio!

That’s great news!

• Advertisement

Cork traffic numbers make clear why Norwegian pulled Boston route
    Cork Airport slammed again in the media. Interesting quote from the author:
    The figures don’t allow us to understand the performance of that particular route in the summer compared to the winter, one would have to hope that the winter is causing a drag on the figures. If that’s not the case, it seems inevitable that doubt hangs over this particular route for next year.

Of course the breakdown of the winter figures is publicly available on the CSO website but why should he check that before speculating on a national paper :ermm:

Advertisement