Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Being reported that PVD will be reduced to 2 weekly and axed from October https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/norwegian-axes-flight-from-cork-to-providence/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Shn99 wrote: »
    Being reported that PVD will be reduced to 2 weekly and axed from October https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/norwegian-axes-flight-from-cork-to-providence/

It's already axed from October and will be 3 times weekly till then

.red. wrote: »
    It's already axed from October and will be 3 times weekly till then

Well I was only stating what the article said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It said the route was moved to twice per week because of poor performance, even though it was always planned to be twice per week for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Well I was only stating that you and your linked article were wrong,
    No need to be so defensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Any monthly figures released recently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Shn99 wrote:

That article has been removed and the author has apologised on Twitter

.red. wrote: »
    Well I was only stating that you and your linked article were wrong,
    No need to be so defensive.

1. I wasnt being defesnive
    2. I wasnt the author of the article
    The author has apologised for the missleading article(which is out of my control) so lets park this here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

snotboogie wrote: »

Which is infact scary at a time when the airport is growing. If this message is being conveyed to potential airlines, passengers and businesses then it's just going to damage it further. Is it simply misery these media outlets are aiming for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Literally can’t remember the last article of a positive experience out of cork airport. Just used it this morning actually. I mean growth is good and everything but it’s not reported. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

A lot of local media down here seem to focus on negatives and make the issue sound worse than it is and the thing they're saying is suffering then looks very unattractive. Might be the case other places too, but on topic reading local articles Cork Airport sounds like a desolate underfunded place that should be avoided. While it's absolutely not true.

Also, stop pointing out how much cheaper some Dublin flights are at times, serious own goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Clr Des Cahill, another failed business man turning to politics.

Maybe if they used their wide consumer base to promote the new routes, the airport wouldnt be such a dump that they claim it to be. (not saying it is btw)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is the usual stuff being peddled by the media about Cork vs Dublin and the daa acting in their own interests etc. This belief that the daa are assigning routes or contracting in airlines to operate from Dublin needs to be quashed.

The people who are to blame here are the people who actually board these buses and go to Dublin to fly. Nobody is forcing them onto these buses to go to Dublin, and I can guarantee you some of them will complain that Cork Airport is useless/****/waste of time but didn't even look up flights from Cork. There will be people on that bus going to Dublin to fly to London, Manchester, Paris or other destinations from Cork at likely similar prices to Cork and for as long as people do that Cork Airport will suffer. Said people will be the first to complain about Cork Airport.

Personally, I would always fly out of a regional airport before Dublin, it's much more convenient and a lot less stressful. I cannot understand why you would accept a 3.5 hour bus journey to Dublin Airport without exploring options from Cork. For most UK, parts of Europe, Spain/Portugal and eastbound long haul, there are many decent options from Cork.

Blaming Dublin Airport, the daa or Aircoach is a waste of time and will achieve nothing.

marno21 wrote: »
    This is the usual stuff being peddled by the media about Cork vs Dublin and the daa acting in their own interests etc. This belief that the daa are assigning routes or contracting in airlines to operate from Dublin needs to be quashed.

The people who are to blame here are the people who actually board these buses and go to Dublin to fly. Nobody is forcing them onto these buses to go to Dublin, and I can guarantee you some of them will complain that Cork Airport is useless/****/waste of time but didn't even look up flights from Cork. There will be people on that bus going to Dublin to fly to London, Manchester, Paris or other destinations from Cork at likely similar prices to Cork and for as long as people do that Cork Airport will suffer. Said people will be the first to complain about Cork Airport.

Personally, I would always fly out of a regional airport before Dublin, it's much more convenient and a lot less stressful. I cannot understand why you would accept a 3.5 hour bus journey to Dublin Airport without exploring options from Cork. For most UK, parts of Europe, Spain/Portugal and eastbound long haul, there are many decent options from Cork.

Blaming Dublin Airport, the daa or Aircoach is a waste of time and will achieve nothing.
    I think people assume that the DAA are trying to stitch up Cork, just because they done it to Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

marno21 wrote:

What if you want to go to Berlin, Prague, Rome, Greece, Turkey, Lisbon (currently) etc.

Basically anywhere not Spain, France, Algarve or the UK really? Other than those 4, it's some Poland routes, Bergamo and Verona in Italy, Amsterdam, Zurich and Boston. And most of the routes that aren't to UK, Paris or some Spanish routes are summer only routes. Good luck if you wanted to go in October for example.

titan18 wrote: »
    What if you want to go to Berlin, Prague, Rome, Greece, Turkey, Lisbon (currently) etc.

Basically anywhere not Spain, France, Algarve or the UK really? Other than those 4, it's some Poland routes, Bergamo and Verona in Italy, Amsterdam, Zurich and Boston. And most of the routes that aren't to UK, Paris or some Spanish routes are summer only routes. Good luck if you wanted to go in October for example.

You could connect in LHR, AMS, MAD, ZRH, CDG. Cork has excellent hub connectivity

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

titan18 wrote: »

You can go to Berlin from Kerry. I agree that Cork could do with more continental Europe routes, but not everyone on those buses is going to continental Europe.

For long haul, you can connect from Cork in Amsterdam, London-Heathrow and Paris. Perhaps more if Zurich and Madrid are viable on the Iberia & Swiss routes.

Rome and Prague would be fairly close to the top of the viability table from Cork so we may see them into the future.

Connecting in an airport would nearly equate to the 3hr trip bus journey to DUB, minus the stress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Harika

Connecting in an airport would nearly equate to the 3hr trip bus journey to DUB, minus the stress

Yes that was the issue mostly or you arrive too late at those hubs so you would need a hotel to get next days flight.
    KLM now offers point to point flights to where I need to go from Cork what makes the journey to Dublin not worth anymore. Swiss via Zurich is now also a great help.
    Ideally Lufthansa would connect Cork to Frankfurt or Munich,at least for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

marno21 wrote: »

Cost,its cheaper to get the bus plus your going to be hanging around the airport for hours if you do a connecting flight.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Cost,its cheaper to get the bus plus your going to be hanging around the airport for hours if you do a connecting flight.

Not always cheaper. Sometimes it is but it's also sometimes more convenient to think outside the box when it comes to travelling. It may be cheaper to fly to an airport 1hr from your destination from cork than a direct flight from Dublin which is 3.5 hours away

Lots of places, especially eastbound, require connections from Dublin too. Going to somewhere like Thailand, its as handy to fly from Cork and connect in Europe than via Dublin and stopping in Dubai etc

I'd rather hang around a connecting airport and stretch my legs than sit on a bus stuck in traffic on the M7 or M50

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Shn99 wrote:
    You could connect in LHR, AMS, MAD, ZRH, CDG. Cork has excellent hub connectivity

For longer flights, I'd agree. But doing connecting flights within Europe when there's an airport 3 hours up the road is a bit of a timesink.

I'd nearly always fly back through London and to Cork if I can, but for flying out, it tends to be better to go via Dublin unless there's a location close to where I want to go.

But for Berlin, you're looking at Dusseldorf or Wroclaw. For Rome, it's Verona or Bergamo. Prague is Wroclaw. Anywhere in Croatia is Verona.

There's no flights to Scandinavia or anywhere east of Verona in Europe for summer locations.

Theres a lot of locations that you'd think would have some potential, even if was just a twice weekly flight from May to September (Berlin, Rome, Croatia, Athens, Prague, Vienna etc) that other just the cities have locations close at hand that you can then commute to.

Flying to Berlin or Prague opens up a bunch of areas not served by any existing Cork flight. Prague in particular gives Prague, Berlin, Vienna, Bratislava and Munich within a similar journey time from Cork to Dublin so would surely have some traffic in the summer for people going on city breaks.

Totally agree with the above .if the airport ever hit say 4million passengers people would still be givig out. I no longer live on cork having recently move to Tipp. But give me Cork or Shannon anyday over Dublin. Between road works and M50 traffic its insane before you get to the airport. But no matter what some people will always go via dublin. I know of a couple both living in limerick going to dublin for a london city break even though there is a regular service from shannon and got up at 4am to get the airport bus
    I definately could see a summer service to Croatia being a sucess for Cork just like the Zurich one wouldnt be surprised if that gets extended year round. Lisbon is on my list of cities to get to go to so will avail of the service at some stage and its great the fight times make it perfect for a weekend break somethig which cork does lack weekend break options that doesnt mean UK
    Maybe the airport needs to work more along side travel agents like the travel department to promote trips via Cork to promote long haul from Cork. Like south america via madrid and south africa via Zurich (which a previous poster highlighted some good deals).also sites like click and go rarely have offers advertised via cork or shannon. Plus local press need to to do bit too. Ive seen the examiner at weekend even featuring a city on their travel section. Think it was Amsterdam a few months back and in he how to get their part..never mentioned the cork route.
    Whoever runs the fly from cork FB page does their bit for the airport.i thinks its someone just running the page in their free time. Its nice to see someone positive about Cork Airport when so many knock it

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Which is infact scary at a time when the airport is growing. If this message is being conveyed to potential airlines, passengers and businesses then it's just going to damage it further. Is it simply misery these media outlets are aiming for?

Look with their Facebook page; 280 likes and 90 comments on the article, most active article of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Look with their Facebook page; 280 likes and 90 comments on the article, most active article of the week

Misery sells in Ireland. Everything is awful and terrible and all's a disgrace.

Must be noted though that I don't see the same doom forecasted all the time for any other ROI airports, which are all smaller!

261k for June, up 4%, busiest June since 2009. First 6 months up 3.7% on last year. Depending on strikes and other issues, could well hit 2.4 million this year.

261k for June, up 4%, busiest June since 2009. First 6 months up 3.7% on last year. Depending on strikes and other issues, could well hit 2.4 million this year.

Great news slowly but surely getting there. Hopefully some news routes can come corks way esp for next summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Totally agree with the above .if the airport ever hit say 4million passengers people would still be givig out. I no longer live on cork having recently move to Tipp. But give me Cork or Shannon anyday over Dublin. Between road works and M50 traffic its insane before you get to the airport. But no matter what some people will always go via dublin. I know of a couple both living in limerick going to dublin for a london city break even though there is a regular service from shannon and got up at 4am to get the airport bus
    I definately could see a summer service to Croatia being a sucess for Cork just like the Zurich one wouldnt be surprised if that gets extended year round. Lisbon is on my list of cities to get to go to so will avail of the service at some stage and its great the fight times make it perfect for a weekend break somethig which cork does lack weekend break options that doesnt mean UK
    Maybe the airport needs to work more along side travel agents like the travel department to promote trips via Cork to promote long haul from Cork. Like south america via madrid and south africa via Zurich (which a previous poster highlighted some good deals).also sites like click and go rarely have offers advertised via cork or shannon. Plus local press need to to do bit too. Ive seen the examiner at weekend even featuring a city on their travel section. Think it was Amsterdam a few months back and in he how to get their part..never mentioned the cork route.
    Whoever runs the fly from cork FB page does their bit for the airport.i thinks its someone just running the page in their free time. Its nice to see someone positive about Cork Airport when so many knock it

Croatia seems to be the growing market. I too would like to see a year round!

Advertisement