Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Great news! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Shn99 wrote: »
    Speculation re Cork-Provedince can be put to bed. On sale for S19 commencing in April
    Not surprising given the early summer numbers, which were very strong. I wish the Irish Times had gone to the trouble to look up the CSO website and do some simple addition and subtraction before speculating on a national paper that the route was gone for good.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Great news and on sale nice and early. April to october better than nothing.operational for the easter period too. Now hopefully a few new routes to follow for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

snotboogie wrote: »
    Not surprising given the early summer numbers, which were very strong. I wish the Irish Times had gone to the trouble to look up the CSO website and do some simple addition and subtraction before speculating on a national paper that the route was gone for good.....

I see they havent ran an article stating that the route is back for next summer, what a rag.

https://twitter.com/CorkAirport/status/1022380616673837061
    Cork predicting huge growth for 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

From where I wonder?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    From where I wonder?
    As of yet unannounced JetBlue service to Boston?

From where I wonder?
    I've found it borderline impossible to predict routes at Cork, I didn't see Air France or Lisbon coming at all. I've heard AirFrance going to twice daily, Luton, London City, Rome, Budapest and Prague all being discussed but realistically, who knows?

marno21 wrote: »
    From where I wonder?
    With their new A321's to Logan? That would be ideal....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

marno21 wrote:

Is that a gut feeling Marno or did you see it announced somewhere?

I know JetBlue are looking to expand transatlantic services from US.
    Are EI still partnering up with them for connections in US ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

From where I wonder?

Must be a few new routes in the pipeline for 2019. Maybe even an extention of Zurich too. Will be interesting to see where they expect it from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Must be a few new routes in the pipeline for 2019. Maybe even an extention of Zurich too. Will be interesting to see where they expect it from
    I heard from a good source thithis year that cork- nice is on the proposal list to try get that back again,when or if it will happen who knows..

The tweet was deleted :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I heard from a good source thithis year that cork- nice is on the proposal list to try get that back again,when or if it will happen who knows..

That would be ideal, love the place. I've flown into Nice a few times as my gateway to the south of France and a recent trip into Italy.

They're finishing off their light rail link from the airport to the nearby train station, so it's getting easier to get around.

According to a local paper over there, there are intentions to build a third terminal specifically for low-fare airways

If it does come back to Cork, the prices need to be competitive.
    Not even as crazy low as Ryanair's €25 to Dublin, but even a return price of under €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

That would be ideal, love the place. I've flown into Nice a few times as my gateway to the south of France and a recent trip into Italy.

They're finishing off their light rail link from the airport to the nearby train station, so it's getting easier to get around.

According to a local paper over there, there are intentions to build a third terminal specifically for low-fare airways

If it does come back to Cork, the prices need to be competitive.
    Not even as crazy low as Ryanair's €25 to Dublin, but even a return price of under €100.

Yeah some of the tram is already operational and free up until september this year.It will be very handy from the airport.

Hopefully they can get that Cork route back as Cork -Dublin -Nice can be tiring.

First four months total of 2018 vs 2017. Winter is still a slog for the airport:
    Foreign Airport    2017 2018 Diff Per
    London - Heathrow 119,988 120,349 361 0.30%
    London - Stansted 110,287 108,342 -1,945 -1.76%
    Amsterdam 51,821 50,687 -1,134 -2.19%
    London - Gatwick 40,216 39,061 -1,155 -2.87%
    Manchester 32,165 33,079 914 2.84%
    Lanzarote 31,387 32,588 1,201 3.83%
    Malaga 28,779 30,899 2,120 7.37%
    Paris 28,385 28,876 491 1.73%
    Liverpool 25,337 24,690 -647 -2.55%
    Birmingham 24,316 23,906 -410 -1.69%
    Edinburgh 13,275 15,114 1,839 13.85%
    Wroclaw 12,003 12,157 154 1.28%
    Bristol 12,310 11,657 -653 -5.30%
    Tenerife Sur 9,884 11,461 1,577 15.96%
    Faro  9,947 10,400 453 4.55%
    Las Palmas 9,067 9,019 -48 -0.53%
    Gdansk 7,799 8,116 317 4.06%
    Providence 0 7,904 7,904
    Glasgow 7,723 7,505 -218 -2.82%
    Southampton 5,598 6,084 486 8.68%
    Cardiff 4,509 4,003 -506 -11.22%
    Palma 3,012 3,629 617 20.48%
    Newcastle 4,352 3,526 -826 -18.98%
    Barcelona 0 2,747 2,747
    Bordeaux 0 1,804 1,804
    Lourdes 402 417 15 3.73%
    592,562 608,020 15,458 2.61%

We can get pretty much a full year picture for the Norwegian flight now too, May and June is just taking an average of what is left from the 33k announced by Cork Airport in the first year:
    2017M07 2017M08 2017M09 2017M10 2017M11 2017M12 2018M01 2018M02 2018M03 2018M04 2018M05 2018M06
    PVD 3,394 3,838 2,438 2,331 2,020 2,084 1,281 1,481 2,327 2,815 4,496 4,496

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

From where I wonder?
    That will be a disaster for Norwegian then I presume if its Logan they'll fly into. What reason would people have to use Norwegian with Providence just squeeze them out of the market. Unless something different is being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    That will be a disaster for Norwegian then I presume if its Logan they'll fly into. What reason would people have to use Norwegian with Providence just squeeze them out of the market. Unless something different is being done?
    Will they be able to? They will have the same problems as every other airline, runway length. Sounds like another wild story IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Oasis1974 wrote: »

I assume JetBlue would be able to offer many onward connections via Logan.

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    Will they be able to? They will have the same problems as every other airline, runway length. Sounds like another wild story IMO.

You do know that there are currently flights from Cork to the East Coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Yes I do. What about NYC?

The airport in question was Logan, which is actually slightly closer than PVD

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Norweigan used the runway length as an excuse for not flying to Stewart. A 737 Max or A321LR would have no problems reaching any airport in NY. By all accounts the fuel efficiency for the max was very impressive. No wonder Norweigan never mentioned the runway length again as an excuse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If you take the figures Norwegian are getting for a point-point Providence service, arriving in the evening, with limited frequency and no business class, or frequent flyer programmes etc, and then add in the extra traffic from companies, with onward connections and better flight times it's likely some sort of service would be viable from Cork.

If JetBlue start transatlantic services then Cork may be an option for them, it might allow them to take a bigger slice of the market than to go fighting for scraps above in Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If you take the figures Norwegian are getting for a point-point Providence service, arriving in the evening, with limited frequency and no business class, or frequent flyer programmes etc, and then add in the extra traffic from companies, with onward connections and better flight times it's likely some sort of service would be viable from Cork.

If JetBlue start transatlantic services then Cork may be an option for them, it might allow them to take a bigger slice of the market than to go fighting for scraps above in Clare.

While I agree Jet Blue would probably be more successful on the route (well that region) than Norwegian, I don't think it would be to the extent you're making out. Weight restrictions westbound, arriving in evening, likely poor frequency, would all negatively affect the route. On business traffic, have I not heard that there should be plenty of traffic heading to Providence anyway? Has this traffic not materialized? Why not?

While I agree Jet Blue would probably be more successful on the route (well that region) than Norwegian, I don't think it would be to the extent you're making out. Weight restrictions westbound, arriving in evening, likely poor frequency, would all negatively effect the route. On business traffic, have I not heard that there should be plenty of traffic heading to Providence anyway? Has this traffic not materialized? Why not?

If JetBlue decide to start transatlantic operations, I doubt they would launch to a smaller market such as Cork, and one with restrictions (straight away at-least).

While I agree Jet Blue would probably be more successful on the route (well that region) than Norwegian, I don't think it would be to the extent you're making out. Weight restrictions westbound, arriving in evening, likely poor frequency, would all negatively effect the route. On business traffic, have I not heard that there should be plenty of traffic heading to Providence anyway? Has this traffic not materialized? Why not?

Weight restrictions - too early to say on that one, it all depends on equipment and cabin layout
    Arriving in evening - that's a decision for the airline, no one is forcing Norwegian to leave Cork at 4:20pm. AC/EI/UA/AA/DL all leave Shannon in the morning/afternoon and arrive around the same time as the Norwegian flight
    Likely poor frequency - too early to call

Norwegian have no business class, no connections and business travellers may stay loyal to their existing airlines/alliances. I would imagine the same is true of business traffic in Limerick/Shannon/Galway sticking with EI to Boston instead of D8 to Providence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Shn99 wrote:
    If JetBlue decide to start transatlantic operations, I doubt they would launch to a smaller market such as Cork, and one with restrictions (straight away at-least).

Just a guess here, don't airlines receive subsidies in airport charges in the likes of Cork if they start a new route not already served ?

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Just a guess here, don't airlines receive subsidies in airport charges in the likes of Cork if they start a new route not already served ?

I believe they do. But from a JB point of view, if they got X amount from Cork airport, but made even more money in a market such as London, Paris ect, they'd choose London or Paris. Im not saying JetBlue will never come to Cork, Im saying they need to get settled in before exploring smaller European markets. That could be 2 years or 10, who knows.

Advertisement