Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

Shn99 wrote: »
    I believe they do. But from a JB point of view, if they got X amount from Cork airport, but made even more money in a market such as London, Paris ect, they'd choose London or Paris. Im not saying JetBlue will never come to Cork, Im saying they need to get settled in before exploring smaller European markets. That could be 2 years or 10, who knows.

The question is whether Jetblue‘s aircraft will have the „legs“ to make it to Paris from their east coast hubs. Granted, London should be just about doable, but Paris seems dicey, even with the A321neo they have on order. Therefore, it might simply be less risky to just serve a few airports in the UK and Ireland, and use them to feed into Boston and JFK.

I‘m not holding my breath either way. I‘d love to see JetBlue come to Cork, but I personally don‘t think it‘ll happen.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

thomil wrote: »
    I believe they do. But from a JB point of view, if they got X amount from Cork airport, but made even more money in a market such as London, Paris ect, they'd choose London or Paris. Im not saying JetBlue will never come to Cork, Im saying they need to get settled in before exploring smaller European markets. That could be 2 years or 10, who knows.

The question is whether Jetblue‘s aircraft will have the „legs“ to make it to Paris from their east coast hubs. Granted, London should be just about doable, but Paris seems dicey, even with the A321neo they have on order. Therefore, it might simply be less risky to just serve a few airports in the UK and Ireland, and use them to feed into Boston and JFK.

I‘m not holding my breath either way. I‘d love to see JetBlue come to Cork, but I personally don‘t think it‘ll happen.
    With the A321LR Paris wouln't be an issue from NYC or Boston, I believe it's the direct accessibility to the German market that has them worried and holding off on pulling the trigger on the A321LR order. There are a few articles floating around about them trying out the UK and Ireland with their A321 Neo's which start arriving in 2019 but i'd be surprised if Cork was chosen as a route. Maybe if they are doing a really comprehensive expansion? 
    Shn99 raises a good point, how would the regular A321 Neo perform compared to the 737 Max out of Cork? Would they fare better with the load restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

snotboogie wrote: »
    With the A321LR Paris wouln't be an issue from NYC or Boston, I believe it's the direct accessibility to the German market that has them worried and holding off on pulling the trigger on the A321LR order. There are a few articles floating around about them trying out the UK and Ireland with their A321 Neo's which start arriving in 2019 but i'd be surprised if Cork was chosen as a route. Maybe if they are doing a really comprehensive expansion? 
    Shn99 raises a good point, how would the regular A321 Neo perform compared to the 737 Max out of Cork? Would they fare better with the load restrictions?

Guess we wont know until someone tries. Wonder if Norwegian will put their LR on the ORK-PVD route once they arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

marno21 wrote: »
    Weight restrictions - too early to say on that one, it all depends on equipment and cabin layout
    Arriving in evening - that's a decision for the airline, no one is forcing Norwegian to leave Cork at 4:20pm. AC/EI/UA/AA/DL all leave Shannon in the morning/afternoon and arrive around the same time as the Norwegian flight
    Likely poor frequency - too early to call

Norwegian have no business class, no connections and business travellers may stay loyal to their existing airlines/alliances. I would imagine the same is true of business traffic in Limerick/Shannon/Galway sticking with EI to Boston instead of D8 to Providence.

Does Norweigan have weight restrictions westbound using the 737 Max, haven't heard anything regarding this? The 737-800 did require weight restrictions, but the Max is so fuel efficient, much less fuel is required thus avoiding any weight restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Does Norweigan have weight restrictions westbound using the 737 Max, haven't heard anything regarding this? The 737-800 did require weight restrictions, but the Max is so fuel efficient, much less fuel is required thus avoiding any weight restrictions.

No restrictions...even in bad weather it hasn't been hit..

• Advertisement

Bussywussy wrote: »

Im not sure which flights are restricted but ORK-PVD was restricted to 145 on the 26th of June, flight was operated by a MAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Bussywussy wrote: »

Im not sure which flights are restricted but ORK-PVD was restricted to 145 on the 26th of June, flight was operated by a MAX.

Norwegian Captain told me the max is fairly comfortable at cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Shn99 wrote:
    Wonder if a Cork-US route is on the cards?

Not a hope, just as always with Aer Lingus and US connections they will be out of Dublin.
    Willie Walsh did mention alright sometime ago that a plane such as the A320Neo would be suitable for thin routes such as Cork/ US service.
    I don't think they are taking delivery of those for a while yet.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Not a hope, just as always with Aer Lingus and US connections they will be out of Dublin.
    Willie Walsh did mention alright sometime ago that a plane such as the A320Neo would be suitable for thin routes such as Cork/ US service.
    I don't think they are taking delivery of those for a while yet.

It would be suitable, but Aer Lingus would need a massive push to do it. There'd have to be a proper competitor doing damage to the Aer Lingus market share, and a demonstrated sufficient market.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It would be suitable, but Aer Lingus would need a massive push to do it. There'd have to be a proper competitor doing damage to the Aer Lingus market share, and a demonstrated sufficient market.

Ruled out for now anyway, Amsterdam frequency increasing with AL for the winter though:

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Aer-Lingus-to-increase-flights-between-Cork-and-Amsterdam-c24536ad-7c1f-4225-be66-1dc21a1a9177-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

snotboogie wrote: »

That’s great news. I thought it would be phased out due to the HOP! Service etc with CDG taking most of the connections. Woohoo. I forgot about the Lisbon route aswell.

More European destinations and greater frequency would seem more important to me then transatlantic, just while the airport is starting to regain its numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

snotboogie wrote:
    Ruled out for now anyway, Amsterdam frequency increasing with AL for the winter though:

So in short, as the holiday season is coming to an end they will reinstate the AMS frequency.
    Does that mean it will be cut again next year, kind of a seasonal thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

So in short, as the holiday season is coming to an end they will reinstate the AMS frequency.

Yes, they do it at Dublin as well but on a bigger scale.

I don’t think it was a given though, AL seemed to want to route their transfer traffic through Heathrow and the thinking was that when they cut back Cork to Schiphol it was the first step in the culling of the fragile AL-KLM codeshare.

Are the Southern Star trying to make cork fail by running this in the papers?? Unbelievable
    https://www.southernstar.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/08/06/4159753-opinion-cork-airport-got-the-bums-rush-from-daa-and-is-now-struggling/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

What an awful lazy piece of writing. No background checks to quote the increasing numbers or a mention of the new sucessful routes over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

So sick of this “The DAA ruin the airport” crap. People need to get their facts straight because that really isn’t the case. I thought corks numbers have been up month on month?

No report of the AMS being extended in that post, no report of the Lisbon route coming back, no report of the PVD route being maintained for next year. Just all negativity which is why people in Cork always say the airport is crap. Very annoying. While it doesn’t have flights to everywhere at least they are trying! It’s getting more successful YoY which the cork airport social media page keep posting about, but no mention.

Just the same old DAA hatred which is getting old at this stage

So sick of this “The DAA ruin the airport” crap. People need to get their facts straight because that really isn’t the case. I thought corks numbers have been up month on month?

No report of the AMS being extended in that post, no report of the Lisbon route coming back, no report of the PVD route being maintained for next year. Just all negativity which is why people in Cork always say the airport is crap. Very annoying. While it doesn’t have flights to everywhere at least they are trying! It’s getting more successful YoY which the cork airport social media page keep posting about, but no mention.

Just the same old DAA hatred which is getting old at this stage
    It's ultimately a backwater newspaper that nobody reads anyway. Quoting yearly figures vs 2012 and then saying Shannon is on the up is just blatant misrepresentation, both airports are way off the peak of the boom years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Ironically, it's the newspaper industry that's failing massively at the moment. But that article is falling on deaf ears anyway. It's like running a story about bitcoin in the farmers journal!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Newspapers are not supposed to be cheerleaders for local businesses and infrastructure. I just had a quick look at that article and it is simply taking a critical look at the airport's performance; I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever. If you want to read cheerleading pieces, go to the evening echo which only last week published another glowing report on how well the report is doing – without much evidence to be honest. From my reading, there were some generally hopeful noises about future additions to schedules and not much to report on. We need a critical media.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I've never heard of Southern star so unlikely to cause too much damage.

Cork airport is on the up. It's great for all Irish people not just those from Cork.

mire wrote: »
    Newspapers are not supposed to be cheerleaders for local businesses and infrastructure. I just had a quick look at that article and it is simply taking a critical look at the airport's performance; I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever. If you want to read cheerleading pieces, go to the evening echo which only last week published another glowing report on how well the report is doing – without much evidence to be honest. From my reading, there were some generally hopeful noises about future additions to schedules and not much to report on. We need a critical media.

"We need a critical media".
    Wow! Because the media just LOVE good news stories as it is! Are you living under a rock?

Anyway moving on, it was a terrible article. A good article is a well balanced piece, examining all aspects both positive or negative, using relevant and up to date figures, and it must be coherent. That article had none of these. It read like a junior cert essay, the figures used were correct but used to deliberately mislead, no reason to go back to 2012 if not to mislead. It was so negative you'd assume cork was closing tomorrow, and so unbalanced you'd swear the article itself had vertigo.

Take today's daily mail and you'll find articles of better quality.

Realistically, these doom and gloom articles do not reflect the truth whatsoever, this lust for thundering negativity in news around the airport damages it even further. We don't need a critical media, we need an accurate media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Great news on the AMS and Providence routes.

Good job by all concerned. Now it's time to sing about those two successes from the rooftops. I've certainly messaged plenty of people.

"We need a critical media".
    Wow! Because the media just LOVE good news stories as it is! Are you living under a rock?

Anyway moving on, it was a terrible article. A good article is a well balanced piece, examining all aspects both positive or negative, using relevant and up to date figures, and it must be coherent. That article had none of these. It read like a junior cert essay, the figures used were correct but used to deliberately mislead, no reason to go back to 2012 if not to mislead. It was so negative you'd assume cork was closing tomorrow, and so unbalanced you'd swear the article itself had vertigo.

Take today's daily mail and you'll find articles of better quality.

Realistically, these doom and gloom articles do not reflect the truth whatsoever, this lust for thundering negativity in news around the airport damages it even further. We don't need a critical media, we need an accurate media.

Was the evening echo piece last week more to your liking then? The cheerleading type?

mire wrote: »
    Was the evening echo piece last week more to your liking then? The cheerleading type?

Can you link it?

I can't find it, but the first article I see when I type in "evening echo cork airport" infers that Patrick's Quay is Dublin's third terminal.

Cheerleading indeed.

Can you link it?

I can't find it, but the first article I see when I type in "evening echo cork airport" infers that Patrick's Quay is Dublin's third terminal.

Cheerleading indeed.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Cork-to-Boston-flights-to-return-next-summer--a327d73f-3422-4fd4-baf4-c6252260e16f-ds

• Advertisement

Can you link it?

Cheerleading indeed.

From my recollection this was a front page story in the echo https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Aer-Lingus-to-increase-flights-between-Cork-and-Amsterdam-c24536ad-7c1f-4225-be66-1dc21a1a9177-ds

Not a huge amount of substance here. The entire article and the big news story was based on the following quote from Aer Lingus ""Currently Aer Lingus currently operates 16 flights weekly on the Cork to Amsterdam route. This is likely to be increased further over the coming months when demand on leisure destinations declines."

ps the same newspaper has consistently embarrassed itself over the cork USA flights and effectively became a campaign tool for the airline
    No major announcement just a fairly meaningless statement about what may or may not happen. Turning this quotation into a frontpage story about the Airport is probably way over the top. To me that is not good reporting - it's cheerleading.

Advertisement