Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

mire wrote: »
    From my recollection this was a front page story in the echo https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Aer-Lingus-to-increase-flights-between-Cork-and-Amsterdam-c24536ad-7c1f-4225-be66-1dc21a1a9177-ds

Not a huge amount of substance here. The entire article and the big news story was based on the following quote from Aer Lingus ""Currently Aer Lingus currently operates 16 flights weekly on the Cork to Amsterdam route. This is likely to be increased further over the coming months when demand on leisure destinations declines."

ps the same newspaper has consistently embarrassed itself over the cork USA flights and effectively became a campaign tool for the airline
    No major announcement just a fairly meaningless statement about what may or may not happen. Turning this quotation into a frontpage story about the Airport is probably way over the top. To me that is not good reporting - it's cheerleading.

The intention for any expansion to Amsterdam by Aerlingus is significant, the widespread belief was that it was being killed as a transfer route, an expansion puts that notion to bed short term. Amsterdam is the second most important city, after London, for Cork traffic. I don't know why this particular headline wound you up so much? It's not earth shattering news but it was a slow news day for a local paper and it was got huge traction on their facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

snotboogie wrote: »
    The intention for any expansion to Amsterdam by Aerlingus is significant, the widespread belief was that it was being killed as a transfer route, an expansion puts that notion to bed short term. Amsterdam is the second most important city, after London, for Cork traffic. I don't know why this particular headline wound you up so much? It's not earth shattering news but it was a slow news day for a local paper and it was got huge traction on their facebook page.

I suppose for me I was being critical of the newspaper making such a huge deal over what turned out to be a non announcement. Read the quotes from the Aerlingus spokesperson and you will see that there is very little substance to that story. Personally I would not be getting too excited when somebody states that "This is likely to be increased further over the coming months ". This is not an announcement of a service change, it is a simple sentiment.

I hold the view that this is simply a local newspaper getting excited about very little; I wouldn't share the excitement.

Regardless of people's view of the southern star, its article was a far more interesting analytical piece. Obviously it is not toeing the line in the way that some people would prefer it to.

mire wrote: »
    I suppose for me I was being critical of the newspaper making such a huge deal over what turned out to be a non announcement. Read the quotes from the Aerlingus spokesperson and you will see that there is very little substance to that story. Personally I would not be getting too excited when somebody states that "This is likely to be increased further over the coming months ". This is not an announcement of a service change, it is a simple sentiment.

I hold the view that this is simply a local newspaper getting excited about very little; I wouldn't share the excitement.

Regardless of people's view of the southern star, its article was a far more interesting analytical piece. Obviously it is not toeing the line in the way that some people would prefer it to.

How? Look at the first line “BAD news for Cork Airport. Passenger numbers have fallen since 2012, sending alarm bells ringing when Cork’s performance is compared to that of other Irish airports” this completely ignores that the mid year estimates are putting the airport at 2.4 million pax for this year, well above the 2012 number and around what was achieved in 2010. Where is this bad news? The 2017 figures have been out for 7 months and we’re up 4% on 2016, coincidentally the last year that they were lower than was 2012, I wonder why the analysis chose that year.... Cork has compared favorably to Shannon when you look at the boom, bust and recovery as a whole, rather than picking arbitrary years to make Cork look as bad as possible. Shannon was always the busier airport yet fell harder and faster, it peaked in 2006 with 3.6 million pax, Cork peaked in 2008 with 3.2 million pax, by the time 2012 had come around Shannon was down to 1.4 million and Cork was at 2.34 million. Cork fell later and softer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

snotboogie wrote: »
    How? Look at the first line “BAD news for Cork Airport. Passenger numbers have fallen since 2012, sending alarm bells ringing when Cork’s performance is compared to that of other Irish airports” this completely ignores that the mid year estimates are putting the airport at 2.4 million pax for this year, well above the 2012 number and around what was achieved in 2010. Where is this bad news? The 2017 figures have been out for 7 months and we’re up 4% on 2016, coincidentally the last year that they were lower than was 2012, I wonder why the analysis chose that year.... Cork has compared favorably to Shannon when you look at the boom, bust and recovery as a whole, rather than picking arbitrary years to make Cork look as bad as possible. Shannon was always the busier airport yet fell harder and faster, it peaked in 2006 with 3.6 million pax, Cork peaked in 2008 with 3.2 million pax, by the time 2012 had come around Shannon was down to 1.4 million and Cork was at 2.34 million. Cork fell later and softer.
    A contributing factor was the end of the SNN stopover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Shn99 wrote: »
    A contributing factor was the end of the SNN stopover.

It's OK, you don't have to try justify the low numbers at Shannon. :)

• Advertisement

zetalambda wrote: »
    Can I post one thing on this group without you having to reply in a smart manner? Have already stopped doing stats and I’ve no problem unsubscribing from the group altogether. Yes I do get things wrong..but we learn and move on every day. You seem to be fixated on making it a misery for me in this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

zetalambda wrote: »

Oh cop on and grow up. You aren't being funny in the slightest. Read the bloody mod note.
    Shn99 wrote: »
    Can I post one thing on this group without you having to reply in a smart manner? Have already stopped doing stats and I’ve no problem unsubscribing from the group altogether. Yes I do get things wrong..but we learn and move on every day. You seem to be fixated on making it a misery for me in this group.

I'd just ignore him. I miss your stats tbh since I really have no idea where to actually get them.

Some people are just trolls and ruin everything for the lot of us.

You're very welcome here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

zetalambda appears to have closed his account so it might be best just to move on entirely

marno21 wrote: »
    zetalambda appears to have closed his account so it might be best just to move on entirely
    Any update on Jetblue? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Anyone heard anything about Aer Lingus Cork to Newcastle? I've just tried booking something for November and it is not available to book. I did see the PAX numbers had dropped earlier on the route earlier this year.

• Advertisement

revelman wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything about Aer Lingus Cork to Newcastle? I've just tried booking something for November and it is not available to book. I did see the PAX numbers had dropped earlier on the route earlier this year.

Not operating after 29th of September, unclear if itll return next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Absolutely ridiculous delays this morning on the 6.25 Cork to London Stansted flight. Still waiting in the airport. They had us all on the plane for an hour and then told us to get off and we've been in the airport departures terminal since! Just waiting and waiting.....

'Technical issues' apparently yet the Wroclaw flight customers got on to the plane we got off of and flew away in it!!! Yes, the exact same plane..„ 10.15 STN flight taking off on time now, yet we're still waiting! 6 hours later...... Edit: finally on plane at 12 midday... 6 hours delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Anyone with a connected flight must have been furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Absolutely ridiculous delays this morning on the 6.25 Cork to London Stansted flight. Still waiting in the airport. They had us all on the plane for an hour and then told us to get off and we've been in the airport departures terminal since! Just waiting and waiting.....

'Technical issues' apparently yet the Wroclaw flight customers got on to the plane we got off of and flew away in it!!! Yes, the exact same plane..„ 10.15 STN flight taking off on time now, yet we're still waiting! 6 hours later...... Edit: finally on plane at 12 midday... 6 hours delayed.

Chase that compensation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

There seems to be issues with stansted and staffing at the moment. I know of people who flew last weekend had 2 delays

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Don't talk to me about baggage delays, an hour waiting for bags. Baggage hall was fairly full of people and not one bag appearing for anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Chase that compensation!

What are the rights for delayed flights?

What are the rights for delayed flights?

https://www.aviationreg.ie/air-passenger-rights/faqs.213.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

TheDriver wrote: »
    Don't talk to me about baggage delays, an hour waiting for bags. Baggage hall was fairly full of people and not one bag appearing for anyone
    Stansted has been like that since June - was chatting to the guys who do disability assistance and they said its going on months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Stansted has been like that since June - was chatting to the guys who do disability assistance and they said its going on months.
    It was 90 mins wait in end for bags, the applause when carousels started rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Anyone know roughly when Ryanair's summer 2019 schedule from Cork might be anounced/go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Anyone know roughly when Ryanair's summer 2019 schedule from Cork might be anounced/go on sale?

October.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As per AF.com booking engine, the Cork-Paris flight is being upgraded to an Embraer 190 from October 28th, providing an increase in seats from 76 to 100.

Great stuff and good to see the new AF route doing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

IT article today about the Cork to Stanstead Fiasco last week:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ryanair-delays-london-flight-as-cheaper-than-disrupting-polish-flight-1.3601835

It will likely be put back behind the paywall soon, so I'll quote the main parts of it:
    That is what happened to Irish Times reader Aine Ahearn last weekend.

“We boarded the 6.25am flight to Stansted at Cork Airport on August 11th,” she writes.

“We were delayed leaving about 10 minutes when they announced the flight wouldn’t be leaving due to ‘operational issues’ and that we would need to get off and go back to the terminal where they would sort another plane.”
    “At this stage it was apparent that luggage was being loaded onto the same plane and crew were also boarding the plane that we had just disembarked,” she continues.

“There was also a queue of people waiting at the departure gate to board the plane. I asked the member of ground staff what the technical issues were as it looked to me like the plane was being prepared to go elsewhere and she, rather embarrassed, explained that the technical issue was actually with the flight to Wroclaw and they were going to use our plane instead and that it was cheaper for Ryanair to compensate us than to compensate the passengers bound for Wroclaw.”

There's the usual copy/paste company statement at the end of the article that doesn't address anything specific.

I looked it up on FR24, and I think this 6.25 am flight departed after 1pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

IT article today about the Cork to Stanstead Fiasco last week:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ryanair-delays-london-flight-as-cheaper-than-disrupting-polish-flight-1.3601835

It will likely be put back behind the paywall soon, so I'll quote the main parts of it:

There's the usual copy/paste company statement at the end of the article that doesn't address anything specific.

I looked it up on FR24, and I think this 6.25 am flight departed after 1pm

Yeah..... I heard this is something sneaking into the Ryanair operations. They playing with the EU 261 rules.. and moving passengers around within the 3 hours allowed so as to keep the combo down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

JCX BXC wrote: »
    October.

Any chance you know when the same for Aer Lingus will be available? Got some great deals last winter so hoping to do the same again.

Foreign Airport    2017M05    2018M05  ↑ VLY PER
    London - Heathrow (LHR),Great Britain 33,948 36,013 2,065 6.08%
    London - Stansted (STN),Great Britain 31,273 30,572 -701 -2.24%
    Faro (FAO),Portugal 14,886 17,081 2,195 14.75%
    Malaga (AGP),Spain 13,955 16,347 2,392 17.14%
    Amsterdam (AMS),Netherlands 15,195 12,553 -2,642 -17.39%
    Lanzarote (ACE),Spain 9,362 10,972 1,610 17.20%
    London - Gatwick (LGW),Great Britain 11,026 10,899 -127 -1.15%
    Manchester (MAN),Great Britain 9,275 9,451 176 1.90%
    Paris - Charles De Gaulle (CDG),France 7,543 9,214 1,671 22.15%
    Palma (PMI),Spain 9,041 9,010 -31 -0.34%
    Birmingham - Uk (BHX),Great Britain 6,573 6,946 373 5.67%
    Liverpool (LPL),Great Britain 5,395 5,540 145 2.69%
    Alicante (ALC),Spain 3,556 4,803 1,247 35.07%
    Edinburgh (EDI),Great Britain 4,207 4,343 136 3.23%
    Barcelona (BCN),Spain 3,829 4,308 479 12.51%
    Providence - TF Green (PVD),USA 0 3,559 3,559
    Bristol (BRS),Great Britain 3,495 3,554 59 1.69%
    Wroclaw (WRO),Poland 3,270 3,356 86 2.63%
    Gdansk (GDN),Poland 3,191 3,282 91 2.85%
    Las Palmas (LPA),Spain 1,390 2,496 1,106 79.57%
    Glasgow (GLA),Great Britain 2,271 2,416 145 6.38%
    Southampton (SOU),Great Britain 2,216 2,333 117 5.28%
    Dusseldorf (DUS),Germany 1,924 1,970 46 2.39%
    Zurich (ZRH),Switzerland 8 1,867 1,859 23237.50%
    Tenerife Sur - Reina Sofia (TFS),Spain 1,711 1,365 -346 -20.22%
    Cardiff (CWL),Great Britain 912 1,262 350 38.38%
    Lourdes - Tarbes (LDE),France 930 1,111 181 19.46%
    Newcastle (NCL),Great Britain 903 1,061 158 17.50%
    St. Mawgan (NQY),Great Britain 571 497 -74 -12.96%
    Split (SPU),Croatia 561 433 -128 -22.82%
    Reus (REU),Spain 422 271 -151 -35.78%
    Dubrovnik (DBV),Croatia 257 205 -52 -20.23%

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but it is good news that Swiss Air from Cork to Zurich is bookable for summer 2019.

revelman wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already but it is good news that Swiss Air from Cork to Zurich is bookable for summer 2019.
    Good stuff. The economics of the A220 make for good reading for future routes at Cork Airport. They really do wonders for thinner routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Masala wrote: »
    Yeah..... I heard this is something sneaking into the Ryanair operations. They playing with the EU 261 rules.. and moving passengers around within the 3 hours allowed so as to keep the combo down.

Well it's not particularly sneaky, all airlines do it. They cancel the flight that will cause least disruption. Cancel a London flight, all pax accommodated within a day or two at most. Cancel the Poland flight and people may have to wait days, travel to Dublin or cancel their trip outright. It's the same reason that Aer Lingus cancel Shannon flights when a Dublin based A330 goes tech.

Advertisement