Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

We can't wait for Malta!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Malta should be popular enough for a summer holiday so hopefully that does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Malta is a wonderful place. I hope this route does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Be interesting to see what the aerlingus announcement will be tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Please be Berlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

It is incredible how this thread content has changed from the Opening Post predicting doom and gloom.

Great to see things continuing to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Please be Berlin.

I’d prefer JFK on an A321LR :p Seriously though my prediction, which is a complete guess, is a relaunch of either the Dublin or London City route

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I'm hoping the Aer Lingus announcement wasn't just the new transatlantics from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I'm hoping the Aer Lingus announcement wasn't just the new transatlantics from Dublin.

I hope that is more than an announcement that the airline intends to promote and encourage more services from cork generally. This happens and is often reported by the faithful evening echo as a front page good news story!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I think it might be.

Aer Lingus are really pushing their position as a value trans-atlantic carrier, especially with the new transfer hub in Dublin Airport and the existing pre-clearance facility.

So it wouldn't surprise me if they don't focus on new routes out of Cork for the forceable future. (obviously hope I'm wrong)

Along with Minneapolis and Montreal, in the past two years they've added direct flights to Seattle, Philadelphia, Miami and L.A.

I was going to say that maybe IAG were preparing for the Norweigan debt bubble to go pop, but it seems they're after buying a minor stake in them.

• Advertisement

According to Aerlingus twitter account when asked about cork no plans yet to announce new routes.. o well

I know this is a probably a stupid question to ask given that this is the internet after all but there seemed to be many people convinced that Aer Lingus was to announce at least one new route from Cork today. This was on a number of different forums and social media accounts. Is this just an example of a rumour cascading from nothing or was there something more concrete in the mix. It seems very strange.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »

And yet, when the route was in place, we were told there was not enough demand. I guess if the demand was there they would have maintained the route. The 90 minute train ride from Schipol to Brussels probably doesnt help matters.

revelman wrote: »
    And yet, when the route was in place, we were told there was not enough demand. I guess if the demand was there they would have maintained the route. The 90 minute train ride from Schipol to Brussels probably doesnt help matters.

Although this is an interesting observation from the article you linked to:

"Hanratty has his own insight into Aer Lingus’ reluctance to re-consider the city pair (it had previously flown the route) – it might have an impact on the airline’s Dublin service to Brussels: “We know that nearly 66,000 passengers leaked from Cork’s catchment area to Dublin [Source: Cork Airport research].”

revelman wrote: »
    marno21 wrote: »

I’m not sure of the exact drop on frequency to Amsterdam but I’d imagine that it would make Brussels more viable. As I’ve said many time here, a cityhopper daily morning flight to Amsterdam would be preferable to a Brussels flight with Aerlingus dropping to P2P evenings to Schiphol 4-5 times per week. At least in my uneducated opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

snotboogie wrote: »
    I’m not sure of the exact drop on frequency to Amsterdam but I’d imagine that it would make Brussels more viable. As I’ve said many time here, a cityhopper daily morning flight to Amsterdam would be preferable to a Brussels flight with Aerlingus dropping to P2P evenings to Schiphol 4-5 times per week. At least in my uneducated opinion.

ORK-AMS is back to 2x daily I believe. It may not be perfect, but AMS is well linked via train, so keeping that 2x daily would be easier than a mix between AMS and BRU, for me. Not even to mention CDG.

I would certainly believe ORK is losing many passengers to DUB. They're theoretically supposed to be competing for passengers, but I don't think anyone actually believes that happens: the only competitive prices you'll get in ORK are on the London routes between the airlines.

ORK-AMS is back to 2x daily I believe. It may not be perfect, but AMS is well linked via train, so keeping that 2x daily would be easier than a mix between AMS and BRU, for me. Not even to mention CDG.

The issue is stability. IAG and KLM clrealy have an unhealthy relationship on that codeshare and it could in theory end abruptly anytime. I did the AirFrance stopover going to HK last month and while it was better than Heathrow, Schiphol is, in my opinion, the best transfer airport in the world. Losing the Amsterdam stopover, even to a theoretical three times a day CDG one, would be a massive loss for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

snotboogie wrote:
    The issue is stability. IAG and KLM clrealy have an unhealthy relationship on that codeshare and it could in theory end abruptly anytime. I did the AirFrance stopover going to HK last month and while it was better than Heathrow, Schiphol is, in my opinion, the best transfer airport in the world. Losing the Amsterdam stopover, even to a theoretical three times a day CDG one, would be a massive loss for Cork.

If that happens I wonder will KLM step in with a smaller plane to AMS akin to Air France to CDG?

Aer Lingus have obviously struck gold with the American pre clearance at Dublin.
    They have little or no interest with new services out of Cork, as long as Cork people travel to Dublin then why would they?
    Interesting how most of the new routes out of Cork are mostly by other airlines, to be fair to the management team up there they are doing a good job.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kub wrote: »
    If that happens I wonder will KLM step in with a smaller plane to AMS akin to Air France to CDG?

Aer Lingus have obviously struck gold with the American pre clearance at Dublin.
    They have little or no interest with new services out of Cork, as long as Cork people travel to Dublin then why would they?
    Interesting how most of the new routes out of Cork are mostly by other airlines, to be fair to the management team up there they are doing a good job.

KLM operate Cityhopper services to a good few regional UK airports so it's a possibility, although I believe capacity at AMS is an issue. It could be that they started the AF service to get some connecting traffic from Cork and route it via CDG instead. Although at the minute given that Aer Lingus/BA can't expand long haul connections via LHR due to slot constraints, they may be happy to keep the KLM relationship alive if it's making them money. I doubt the AMS flight would continue at the current frequency without the codeshare.

It'll be interesting to see if any other airlines start services to Cork with connections in mind. Given that EI/KL/AF already see it as viable there could be potential for Lufthansa or Turkish to enter the market, and maybe more services from Iberia or Swiss

It's been a great few weeks for Cork a Airport, long may it continue

• Advertisement

The other option would be Brussels Airlines who fly to a good few UK airports with relatively small planes. If Skyscanner is right and there is pent up demand for Cork-Brussels, then surely this could work for Brussels Airlines.

[It'll be interesting to see if any other airlines start services to Cork with connections in mind. Given that EI/KL/AF already see it as viable there could be potential for Lufthansa or Turkish to enter the market, and maybe more services from Iberia or Swiss

It's been a great few weeks for Cork a Airport, long may it continue[/quote

Id agree with the above. Look at recent new routes like Madrid and Zurich that were a success from new airlines coming in. Could defo see scope for Zurich extended year around seems to be very popular. Population growth continuing in the city and county. Brexit should result in more students opting for Ireland should add to the demand.
    Hopefully the local catchement areas get behind the new lisbon and malta service. There are potentionally a few more distinations I could se as popular if they were there. Brussels cpuld possibly be one although outside of IE and FR i dont know who would operate it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

New flight times in and out of Faro are terrible. 6.00am out and 9:10 back. I wonder will these times change or will add a second daily service on weekdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

The 6am out would be fine if they got a later flight option to come back. Could gain extra hours on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

We’re heading to Faro on the 6.00 am on Saturday and back The following Saturday on the 8.25 pm. Great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

New flight times in and out of Faro are terrible. 6.00am out and 9:10 back. I wonder will these times change or will add a second daily service on weekdays?
    I think the early flight time ex cork is to facilitate golfers who can get over early and play around of golf before it gets too hot- by that time your hotel room would be ready

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

kooga wrote: »
    I think the early flight time ex cork is to facilitate golfers who can get over early and play around of golf before it gets too hot- by that time your hotel room would be ready

Airlines don't take anything like that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

.red. wrote: »
    Airlines don't take anything like that into account.

Also, it doesn't even stack up:
    A 0600 flight probably gets into Faro at around 0900, that's not early. A round of golf on top of that would see someone in the midday sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

kooga wrote: »

that is stupid who in their right mind would go straight into a round of golf after getting off the plane and anyway by the time they get off the plane and get transfers and everything and also wait for a tee time it'll b half 11 12 o clock ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

According to Aerlingus twitter account when asked about cork no plans yet to announce new routes.. o well

You'd be as well off to ask a dog than a social media site. They have no information until we have information. In most queries the customer service team are just using information that's already publically accessable, and they wouldn't have any information on route developments if we don't.

Advertisement