Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Cork-Budapest from 4th of April next year operating on Thursdays and Sundays, bookable on FR website.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shn99 wrote: »
    Cork-Budapest from 4th of April next year operating on Thursdays and Sundays, bookable on FR website.

Very interesting indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Great prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I wonder whether these new routes will have a knock-on effect on the other summer routes that Ryanair does year on year. Bergamo is probably safe but I wonder whether Bordeaux, Carcassone and similar will be cut? It will be interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Will be interesting to see their plans for their existing routes next year. Long weekend city breaks was something the airport was lacking for a log time great to see more options. Hears hoping local media do their bit in promoting these routes. Also great to see them announced now so people have he option of buying these flights as christmas presents. In the past often new route announcments were made after christmas missing out on this potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ooh, nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

revelman wrote: »
    I wonder whether these new routes will have a knock-on effect on the other summer routes that Ryanair does year on year. Bergamo is probably safe but I wonder whether Bordeaux, Carcassone and similar will be cut? It will be interesting to watch.

According to Pprune the dates match with the Bergamo plane from Cork. Ryanair stating 20% growth in 2019 from Cork with 1.1 million pax at the announcement though. Pprune still think another Aerlingus announcement is coming too

Be surprised if Bergamo is dropped. Busy enough flight i would have thought

snotboogie wrote: »
    Pprune still think another Aerlingus announcement is coming too

Travel Extra reported that a SH announcment was due from SNN and ORK too...however theyre not 100% reliable

Be surprised if Bergamo is dropped. Busy enough flight i would have thought

That was my initial thought too but I'm not so sure now. The thing about Cork is that when new routes are announced, often others are dropped or frequencies reduced. I've often wondered about Bordeaux and Carcassone, for example. I imagine Ryanair rely on Irish-based holiday-makers for these routes rather than any significant influx of visitors from the south of France. In that sense, I have the sneaking suspicion that Ryanair is simply making a change to its summer offerings from Cork. After a number of years of Bergamo, Bordeaux and Carcassone, they are now going to offer us some new places to go to. I hope I'm wrong but it somehow feels like this is what is happening.

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    According to Pprune the dates match with the Bergamo plane from Cork. Ryanair stating 20% growth in 2019 from Cork with 1.1 million pax at the announcement though. Pprune still think another Aerlingus announcement is coming too

On the growth side, remember there are 6xflights per week to Luton as well as year-round flights to Faro on top of the Poznan flight which will account for a significant proportion of that growth.

revelman wrote: »
    That was my initial thought too but I'm not so sure now. The thing about Cork is that when new routes are announced, often others are dropped or frequencies reduced. I've often wondered about Bordeaux and Carcassone, for example. I imagine Ryanair rely on Irish-based holiday-makers for these routes rather than any significant influx of visitors from the south of France. In that sense, I have the sneaking suspicion that Ryanair is simply making a change to its summer offerings from Cork. After a number of years of Bergamo, Bordeaux and Carcassone, they are now going to offer us some new places to go to. I hope I'm wrong but it somehow feels like this is what is happening.

I doubt many routes would be effected..if any. Theyve an extra 220k seats from Cork next year.

Uf Bergamo is dropped theres the possibility for the operators of the Verona route to extend its service. That region of Italy would be popular enough still

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Fantastic news for both Cork and the airport. Ryanair doing some serious expanding from Cork!

Wonder will the BUD flight be year-round? Budapest is lovely in winter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Fantastic news for both Cork and the airport. Ryanair doing some serious expanding from Cork!

Wonder will the BUD flight be year-round? Budapest is lovely in winter too.

Yeah.... Ryanair and Cork (and indirectly the DAA) all best buds!!!

Ryanair said they will considering adding more routes if next years are a success. Mentioned are Rome, Milan, Madrid, Rome, Cologne, Naples and Frankfurt
    https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Ryanair-commit-to-extra-Cork-routes-if-Budapest-and-others-are-successful-e4ede31e-ba70-4680-9156-97137df6f8b5-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Ryanair said they will considering adding more routes if next years are a success. Mentioned are Rome, Milan, Madrid, Rome, Cologne, Naples and Frankfurt
    https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Ryanair-commit-to-extra-Cork-routes-if-Budapest-and-others-are-successful-e4ede31e-ba70-4680-9156-97137df6f8b5-ds

I presume they mean Hahn and Memmingen. Still, would be good.

I presume they mean Hahn and Memmingen. Still, would be good.

They operate into FRA and MUC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

They operate into FRA and MUC.

Sorry, yes I could have been clearer: that's why I mentioned the other two.
    I was saying that I presume that what they would bring on from Cork won't be Frankfurt Main or Munich, but rather their lower-cost alternatives, but it would still be good.

I doubt many routes would be effected..if any. Theyve an extra 220k seats from Cork next year.

But 120k of those seats are accounted for by the Luton flight alone. Add Poznan and the fact that Faro is going year round and how many extra seats does that leave? My fear is that Bergamo, Bordeaux, Carcassone and other will be dropped.

Just to add: I've just checked and certain long standing summer destinations are bookable for next year (e.g. Alicante, Palma) but Bergamo, Bordeaux, Caracassone and interestingly Girona and Reus are not. I'd be shocked if Ryanair dropped the latter two.

And finally: a quote from the Evening Echo article: "At a minimum, there will be 16 routes from Cork with 1.1m passengers which is 20% growth and our biggest ever schedule in Cork," Mr Jacobs said.

Bear in mind that you could fly to 17 destinations from Cork last summer: Faro, Gdańsk, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Liverpool, London–Gatwick, London–Stansted, Málaga, Tenerife–South, Wrocław, Alicante, Bergamo, Bordeaux, Carcassonne, Girona, Palma de Mallorca, Reus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Sorry, yes I could have been clearer: that's why I mentioned the other two.
    I was saying that I presume that what they would bring on from Cork won't be Frankfurt Main or Munich, but rather their lower-cost alternatives, but it would still be good.

I'd say FRA would be a good bet. Since Hahn is already a route from Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Great news again to see another route.

I hope its not old ryanair when it comes to Madrid drive out the competition and then pull the route I prefer if they launched a route not currently served like Rome berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Good lot of old favourites were released today but usual extra flights not yet announced e. G. 2nd flight to tenerife per week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Looks like capacity to Lanzarote has been reduced as well. Now 4 days per week next summer, whereas it was 6 this year I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I hope its not old ryanair when it comes to Madrid drive out the competition and then pull the route I prefer if they launched a route not currently served like Rome berlin

How is that not anti-competitive ? Aer lingus did it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Ryanair sure are taking their time announcing the Barcalona Reus route again. Hopefully it's not dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ryanair sure are taking their time announcing the Barcalona Reus route again. Hopefully it's not dropped.

Considering they've not announced 95+ of their network, they're really not! Take a look at reality, don't engage with premature paranoia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Need a flight to Berlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Considering they've not announced 95+ of their network, they're really not! Take a look at reality, don't engage with premature paranoia!

My bad, I looked at Dublin and saw they had routes for the rest of the year so just thought they were announced :(

Advertisement