Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Need a flight to Berlin.

They not going to go up against Kerry on a Berlin flight.... unless they gonna take it away from kerry!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

My bad, I looked at Dublin and saw they had routes for the rest of the year so just thought they were announced :(

The Cork announcements so far seem to be part of the Summer schedule announcements of other airports, that happen to include Cork.

Luton - Cork was part of the London summer schedule and Malta - Cork was part of their summer schedule announcement over the last two weeks.

The announcements so far have been fantastic, I'm already planning out a trip to Malta with a quick flight up to Naples, spending two days around Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast, before a final day in Malta, landing back in Cork.

The new Budapest flight opens up a lot of unusual destinations via Wizz Air, who are based out of that airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

What's the story with Berlin? I see it mentioned here a lot. It's not somewhere I've ever wanted to go but that might just be because the option has never really been there.
    Why would it be such a great route?

I'm being genuine here, not trying to wind anyone up or start an argument which can happen here a lot lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

.red. wrote: »
    What's the story with Berlin? I see it mentioned here a lot. It's not somewhere I've ever wanted to go but that might just be because the option has never really been there.

I'm being genuine here, not trying to wind anyone up or start an argument which can happen here a lot lol.

I’d be looking at it from a completely touristy view. It’s a fantastic city- I’ve been 4 or 5 times and could still go back. The history is amazing, there are some cool tours you go. It doesn’t matter what time of year you go. Winter time it’s cold and dry and you have the Christmas markets and during the summer it’s warm and sunny and you can lie out by the river. Cool bars and restaurants. I would imagine it would be a handy business route too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

.red. wrote: »

It's of the most historically important cities in Europe, extremely cheap there for accommodation and going out for food/drink, amazing music scene in general, great quality beer as well as the outstanding museums.

Not only that but my company in particular does a lot of business there and having to do connecting flights from Cork is a pain (as no one wants to trek to Kerry). Oh and the connection possibilities it could offer also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

As much as I love Kerry and Farranfore, surely it would make more sense to operate the flight from Cork? Its still nearby to Kerry, and a much larger catchment area, and as you said, a handy business route. They could easily fill 3 flights a week. Kerry can keep Hahn! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

As much as I love Kerry and Farranfore, surely it would make more sense to operate the flight from Cork? Its still nearby to Kerry, and a much larger catchment area, and as you said, a handy business route. They could easily fill 3 flights a week. Kerry can keep Hahn! :D

kerry has Sheep..... loads of sheep!!! Germans love that!!!!

Masala wrote: »
    kerry has Sheep..... loads of sheep!!! Germans love that!!!!

Give cork the Berlin route and Kerry the Cardiff. The Welsh really really love sheep.

Thanks for the Berlin info, seems like it could be a good place to go.
    Cork really needs a few more weekend routes. Fly out Thursday evening or Friday morning and back on Sunday night. It really has very little to offer. Maybe somewhere like Berlin would be ideal? Especially for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I’d be looking at it from a completely touristy view. It’s a fantastic city- I’ve been 4 or 5 times and could still go back. The history is amazing, there are some cool tours you go. It doesn’t matter what time of year you go. Winter time it’s cold and dry and you have the Christmas markets and during the summer it’s warm and sunny and you can lie out by the river. Cool bars and restaurants. I would imagine it would be a handy business route too.

The above sums it up. Germans enjoy the Irish countryside. A lot of german working in Ireland and visa versa. Popular for destination for some school trips too. Loads to do over there with something for everyone all year round seemingly a great new years eve street party. With a population of over 3 million loads of potential for inbound tourism once all these hotels get going in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

From the Examiner:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/cork-boosted-by-airline-competition-869126.html

Cork boosted by airline competition
    A tussle for supremacy between Aer Lingus and Ryanair at Cork Airport is set to benefit passengers all over Munster, with new routes being announced and more in the pipeline.

The ramp-up of Ryanair operations has not gone unnoticed by Aer Lingus.

The IAG-owned airline is planning to combat Ryanair’s bid for Cork Airport domination by extending its own services in the coming months.

When asked by travel industry figures this week if it was committed to expanding in Cork, Aer Lingus chief executive Stephen Kavanagh was bullish.

He said Aer Lingus would be making announcements in the coming weeks focusing on expansion in mainly European cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Oooh this is brilliant news!!!! Long may it last! Wonder what 'Mainly european cities'' means

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Oooh this is brilliant news!!!! Long may it last! Wonder what 'Mainly european cities'' means

It means that when Aer Lingus take delivery of their new A320Neo's, they will allocate them primarily to US routes ex Dublin, so those planes will be in the skies on those routes in the afternoons and nights, returning from US in the early morning.
    As far as I know, Aer Lingus will then put them onto 1 return UK / European flight before going on the US run again later in the day.
    Therefore that might free up an A320 which might give Aer Lingus spare capacity, which they can use elsewhere so perhaps Cork is in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Which location would be most likely for Cork by Aer Lingus?

I'd love if Almeria was an option to fly to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Berlin is a great city to visit. Was there a few weeks ago and it's a very nice.

I really think Rome would do enough business on a twice weekly flight seasonal flight (April to September). Croatia in the summer would be a nice flight option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I'd love to see a Frankfurt flight with Lufthansa, or even an Istanbul flight with Turkish. A few times a week. Endless connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Would love to see winter Cork - Alicante come back with Aer Lingus lot of homeowners in Spain miss that flight

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

titan18 wrote: »
    Berlin is a great city to visit. Was there a few weeks ago and it's a very nice.

I really think Rome would do enough business on a twice weekly flight seasonal flight (April to September). Croatia in the summer would be a nice flight option too.

The lack of flights to Italy is interesting given how many Italians we have. A flight to the south part would be nice.

Croatia would also be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

We need more flights to Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

True Berlin - sep 2006 flew cork to Berlin with aer lingus for a long weekend and as per previous posts great city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Mardyke wrote: »
    We need more flights to Italy.

I’m flying to Rome next month with Air France. Depart Cork at 4.30 pm and fly to Paris CDG. 1 house 30 min transfer tine there then on to Rome arriving at 10.50pm (9.50 pm irish time). Much better and much shorter than getting the Aircoach to Dublin with the added bonus of supporting Cork airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Would love to see winter Cork - Alicante come back with Aer Lingus lot of homeowners in Spain miss that flight

100%

Search for this route via sky scanner. add to the database to show demand. Even if you know the flight won't be there

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I’m flying to Rome next month with Air France. Depart Cork at 4.30 pm and fly to Paris CDG. 1 house 30 min transfer tine there then on to Rome arriving at 10.50pm (9.50 pm irish time). Much better and much shorter than getting the Aircoach to Dublin with the added bonus of supporting Cork airport.

I agree that Air France is a brilliant addition to Cork and has added many opportunities. But there is an inherent advantage in a direct flight (especially if there is more than one of those flights in the day). I'm sure we have all been on more of a few delayed flights to know that connecting can sometimes be a pain. In that sense, it is a pity that there isn't an earlier Air France connection so that you would be sure of a same day rerouting in case of a delay.

I hate to admit it because I do my best to support Cork airport but I recently had to chose between an Air France trip via CDG with a short transfer time and a direct flight from Dublin. I chose the direct flight from Dublin as I was attending a meeting and couldn't afford to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think it differentiates from UK destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

revelman wrote: »
    I agree that Air France is a brilliant addition to Cork and has added many opportunities. But there is an inherent advantage in a direct flight (especially if there is more than one of those flights in the day). I'm sure we have all been on more of a few delayed flights to know that connecting can sometimes be a pain. In that sense, it is a pity that there isn't an earlier Air France connection so that you would be sure of a same day rerouting in case of a delay.

I hate to admit it because I do my best to support Cork airport but I recently had to chose between an Air France trip via CDG with a short transfer time and a direct flight from Dublin. I chose the direct flight from Dublin as I was attending a meeting and couldn't afford to miss it.

I get that logic. I’ve had a few near misses over the years like the time the freezing fog in London caused massive delays. We landed in London with less than 40 mins to transfer from terminal 2 to 5. That was some dash !!! I’m flying for pleasure though so don’t have the worry of missing an important meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I think it differentiates from UK destinations.

My reading is it also differentiates from traditional 'holiday' destinations like Faro, Canaries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I get that logic. I’ve had a few near misses over the years like the time the freezing fog in London caused massive delays. We landed in London with less than 40 mins to transfer from terminal 2 to 5. That was some dash !!! I’m flying for pleasure though so don’t have the worry of missing an important meeting.

I've had plenty of misses....so far this year!
    The direct flight is a must when you're on a tight schedule unfortunately. If it's truly a connecting flight that's one thing, but if you're booked with two different airlines you could be in trouble. The alternative is to schedule longer delays at the interim airport which, even if it wasn't inefficient, expensive and tiring, still isn't guaranteed to get you there!

I'd echo all the previous sentiments on Berlin. Have been many times and will go again. Fantastic city.

Frankfurk Main from Cork would be a huge step. As would Munich with Ryanair, given that Aer Lingus have decreased the frequency on that route.

CDG is one of the worst airports in the world for bags and connecting flights.
    I'd be looking at carry on bags only if I'd less than a 2 hour connection and I'd be refusing point blank at giving up my bag at check in or the gate when they offer to take it free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

DAA have put an application for planning permission for a few changes to the airport roads. The entrance to the express red car park will be at the same roundabout as the exit, with the existing entrance closed.

also barriers are going on to the forecourt. Not sure for what purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    DAA have put an application for planning permission for a few changes to the airport roads. The entrance to the express red car park will be at the same roundabout as the exit, with the existing entrance closed.

Do you mean the setdown area? Since the 2007 Glasgow Airport attack some airports have added barriers to slow traffic down and corral it into a kind of "pen" at the set-down area. They get to photo/film every vehicle and its occupants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 the great it

EnzoScifo wrote: »

"Traffic management"

Barriers will manage how many cars are allowed on the forecourt at any particular time. But more importantly they are bringing in a maximum free 15 minute stay.

Number Plate Recognition cameras to record the cars at entry and exit. If you stay longer then 15 mins you will have to pay a charge at the exit barrier.

Advertisement