Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

So is this just going to be a 737 service then? That would cause issues westbound in strong winds - a refueling stop somewhere in Canada like Gander or St John's may often be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

This post has been deleted.

That is not entirely correct. The take-off run for the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner, which is the backbone of Norwegian's long haul fleet, is between 2600 and 3100 meters at MTOW (Maximum Take Off Weight), depending on configuration. The thing is, the aircraft will not be taking off from Cork at anywhere near MTOW, mainly because it doesn't need to.
    The Great Circle Distance from ORK to BOS is 4708 kilometers. This is a bit over one quarter of the maximum range of the Dreamliner at 13600 kilometers. So, they'll take off with their tanks half filled at maximum, which should drastically cut down on take-off weight. I don't think there'll be much underbelly cargo outbound from Cork as well, which will further cut down the take-off weight. I can see it working out from Cork.
    Operationally, it also makes sense. Apparently, Norwegian is setting up a base in Boston, operation a range of other long and medium haul flights as well, so the aircraft will probably operate straight BOS-ORK-BOS, without being routed through OSL or other airports.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Is the runway extension still on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

thomil wrote: »
    That is not entirely correct. The take-off run for the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner, which is the backbone of Norwegian's long haul fleet, is between 2600 and 3100 meters at MTOW (Maximum Take Off Weight), depending on configuration. The thing is, the aircraft will not be taking off from Cork at anywhere near MTOW, mainly because it doesn't need to.
    The Great Circle Distance from ORK to BOS is 4708 kilometers. This is a bit over one quarter of the maximum range of the Dreamliner at 13600 kilometers. So, they'll take off with their tanks half filled at maximum, which should drastically cut down on take-off weight. I don't think there'll be much underbelly cargo outbound from Cork as well, which will further cut down the take-off weight. I can see it working out from Cork.
    Operationally, it also makes sense. Apparently, Norwegian is setting up a base in Boston, operation a range of other long and medium haul flights as well, so the aircraft will probably operate straight BOS-ORK-BOS, without being routed through OSL or other airports.

That's true, but you don't have a fall back plan if the wind is not blowing the correct way.

At least you can switch runway at Dublin if you have a problem.

• Advertisement

Nice attempt at attacking the poster instead of dealing with the facts. Says a lot more about you, than it does about me.

However, that doesn't change the facts. The figures you quoted are for a full 787-8, with the maximum number of passengers, cargo and fuel technically possible crammed in there. That will simply not be needed from Cork, and no airline will fly around excess fuel. If the tanks only need to be half full, that's all the fuel that will be taken on. That goes for EVERY airline that wants to run a profit.

I won't rule out that they may operate the route using another aircraft, it certainly is doable for a 737 as well, but from all that I can see, there's no reason to rule out a Dreamliner right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

Well not really ... if the tank isn't full of fuel then it's not full.

Except that you're not, but don't let me keep you from living in your dream world. If you believe that ANY airline will just fly around with excess weight, then there's no further purpose in discussing this matter with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lets move on please and keep discussing this in a civil manner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

would want to be very competitive fares to sit on a 737 for 7 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Hopefully if this goes head the opportunity is grabbed with both hands and made a success.
    Also on a side note i hope the city jet service is a success....they have put a lot of advertising onto it even on a national scale, its not too often you hear cork airport getting promoted nationally..twill help put the airport in the minds of people outside of cork

Hopefully if this goes head the opportunity is grabbed with both hands and made a success.
    Also on a side note i hope the city jet service is a success....they have put a lot of advertising onto it even on a national scale, its not too often you hear cork airport getting promoted nationally..twill help put the airport in the minds of people outside of cork

Hopefully they have a stairs this time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Do you work for Aer Lingus by any chance?

Aircraft wise EI never had suitable ones to operate from Cork and still don't.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    would want to be very competitive fares to sit on a 737 for 7 hours!

I know nothing about planes - is a 737 not very big?

leahyl wrote: »

Have you ever flown Ryanair, if so that's it.

thomil wrote: »
    Except that you're not, but don't let me keep you from living in your dream world. If you believe that ANY airline will just fly around with excess weight, then there's no further purpose in discussing this matter with you.

Same as the ones Ryanair fly.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Have you ever flown Ryanair, if so that's it.

Ah you're not serious!! Would definitely want to be very reasonable prices alright!

Ah you're not serious!! Would definitely want to be very reasonable prices alright!

Indeed but it's only for the year, the MAX may be a better aircraft in terms of space inside which comes in 2017.

You could easily be looking at fares for less than 300 return with these guys.

Indeed but it's only for the year, the MAX may be a better aircraft in terms of space inside which comes in 2017.

Yeah I just stuck it into Wikipedia there and I saw that about the new aircraft coming on stream.

Less than 300 return sounds good to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Confimred now by various outlets.

I have no real problem with a 737. Not a huge difference between seating in these and economy in the usual trans atlantic planes.

Handy as well as we are planning to go to DC again next year in Novmeber. Looking forward to see prices.

gimmick wrote: »
    Confimred now by various outlets.

I have no real problem with a 737. Not a huge difference between seating in these and economy in the usual trans atlantic planes.

Handy as well as we are planning to go to DC again next year in Novmeber. Looking forward to see prices.

I would expect the service will be a May-October service, would be very surprised if they go year round right away however suspect it will depend and won't be known for some time.

They will offer no connections from BOS so you would have to self connect if you want to get to DC.

The MAX and 737-800 are the same size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I would expect the service will be a May-October service, would be very surprised if they go year round right away however suspect it will depend and won't be known for some time.

They will offer no connections from BOS so you would have to self connect if you want to get to DC.

Nope - year round :)
    Boston flights will be operated four to five times weekly.

“The addition of direct year-round connectivity to North America has long been a target for Cork Airport," MacCarthy said, adding that the news was a major strategic boost for the region.

Ive gotten the train from DC to NY before, so wouldnt mind doing the same from Boston to DC tbh. Or just fly from Boston to DC. Point is, We dont have to go via London or drive to Dublin :)

It really is great news for our city :) Hopefully they will roll out a New York flight before long

https://twitter.com/CorkAirport/status/647399325094531072

Official for sure and looks like Barcelona is another route as well !

gimmick wrote: »
    Nope - year round :)

Ive gotten the train from DC to NY before, so wouldnt mind doing the same from Boston to DC tbh. Or just fly from Boston to DC. Point is, We dont have to go via London or drive to Dublin :)

We will see, it will be leisure heavy dependent so I expect nothing is certain yet. Anyway whichever, it's positive and hopefully will be supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wahoo!

I'd see these Boston flights being hugely popular with Cork business, depending on the times. Couple of big hitters are going to eat these up, hopefully. Which might make them put on more.

Looks like the plane will be gonig Barcelona - cork - boston - cork - barcelona?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Don't know why people are getting excited about 737s. There will still be 31/32" seat pitch which is the same as Aer Lingus/Delta/BA.

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    Don't know why people are getting excited about 737s. There will still be 31/32" seat pitch which is the same as Aer Lingus/Delta/BA.

If you live in Cork it's potentially cutting 3-4 hours off your Journey and far less stress.

I'd definitely put up with that

Advertisement