Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

When does Cork-Reus expect to come on line does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

pkvader wrote: »
    When does Cork-Reus expect to come on line does anyone know?

usually june

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

kooga wrote: »
    usually june

I think the question was: when would it be bookable?

If you look at an Evening Echo report a few months ago about Ryanair, I'm not sure we should think routes like Reus are in the bank. We will have to wait to see if it returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

revelman wrote: »
    I think the question was: when would it be bookable?

If you look at an Evening Echo report a few months ago about Ryanair, I'm not sure we should think routes like Reus are in the bank. We will have to wait to see if it returns.

It’s on the 2019 route map put up on Twitter by Cork Airport today. Not bookable yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I know this has probably been answered several times previously, but how is the Norweigan Air Cork to Boston/Providence flight in terms of comfort/handyness? I know its a budget airline and you pay for what you get but is it bearable for a 7 hour flight with a tablet/laptop? Is the wifi any good?

We are thinking of doing it during the summer and for the price and the fact its out of/into Cork make it a logical choice. Any hiddens I need to look out for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

CHealy wrote: »
    I know this has probably been answered several times previously, but how is the Norweigan Air Cork to Boston/Providence flight in terms of comfort/handyness? I know its a budget airline and you pay for what you get but is it bearable for a 7 hour flight with a tablet/laptop? Is the wifi any good?

We are thinking of doing it during the summer and for the price and the fact its out of/into Cork make it a logical choice. Any hiddens I need to look out for?

Well, the aircraft are equipped with Recaro Slimline seats, like you get on Lufthansa or Swiss for example. Legroom is okay-ish, but it might get tight if there's someone next to you that you don't know. I flew with them back in late September, and despite being pretty overweight, with the middle seat vacant in my row, I had no issues at all. The Sky Interior is a nice touch, and the mood lighting really comes in handy on overnight flights.
    While I'm on the topic of onboard comfort, there is NO WIFI on transatlantic flights, despite all of Norwegian's 737 MAX8 being fitted with the necessary satcom hump on the back of the fuselage. So download as much as you can before flying. There's no charging points either, so have a battery pack or two with you.
    Catering is Buy-on-Board, or you can preorder. In some booking classes, it is included, that was the case with my flight. It's nothing remarkable, and if I hadn't needed the piece of hold luggage, I probably would have gone for the lower fare class. Food service is pretty shortly after takeoff, though. The company is pretty relaxed with regards to Buy onboard, so you won't have to worry about the crew trying to shove purchases down your throat.

Timing is great as far as I'm concerned, you have plenty of time to get to the airport. Online check-in is not possible, so you'll have to do it at the airport. Expect a few more questions than usual, and be ready for a potential second security inspection at the gate, but apart from that, it's pretty straightforward. If you have the time, pre-book the Aspire Lounge at Cork airport to relax a bit before the flight.
    You usually get into Providence in the evening. Customs & Immigration can be a bit confusing at first, with their automated kiosks, but once again, it's really straightforward. I've had worse experiences travelling from Ireland to Germany.

As for T.F. Green Airport, it's actually quite a nice facility. Buses and long distance coaches leave right outside the arrivals hall, while rental cars and the train station are located in the "Interlink" facility, a large enclosed walkway that leads from the Terminal to Jefferson Boulevard, where the actual train station is located. There's also quite a few hotels in the area, so spending an evening there to acclimatise and hitting the road the next morning is an option.

With regards to the trains, best check the MBTA website for schedules. the station is located on the Providence/Stoughton line of MBTA Commuter rail. There's 10 departures to Boston every weekday, if I remember correctly. Tickets cost 12$ per person, and must be purchased from the conductor. There's no ticket hall or ticket machine at the station. The trains stop at Providence, so onward connections on the Acela Express, or other Amtrak Services on the Northeast Corridor are possible. There is no weekend train service at the airport.

Hope that helps a bit.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

CHealy wrote: »

Did it last May. I have to say I was like you to begin with but was absolutely delighted with the service - comfortable flight, professional crew, did not feel 'budget' at all to be honest. I'd rank them much higher than United, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭vetinari

Flight is fine, thomil gave an excellent write up.
    I think they had wifi when I flew with them last year, but they definitely did not have it this year.
    Shame as it would be handy given the lack of seat back TVs.
    I thought the onboard food (prepaid option) was decent but a bit small.

You should be fine to make a commuter train into Boston on a weekday. 7:59pm and 9:12pm as options
    Weekend, you could take uber or lyft for around 80 dollars (not too bad if there was a few of ye)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Cork airport cant win with some people at times. Had to laugh at some of the comments on social media They have a post promoting the new routes as possible christmas presents and the comments are need more routes and 1 claiming the routes are from dublin without even looking at the post properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Thanks for the replies, especially your extra info @tomhil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Cork airport cant win with some people at times. Had to laugh at some of the comments on social media They have a post promoting the new routes as possible christmas presents and the comments are need more routes and 1 claiming the routes are from dublin without even looking at the post properly

Social media and Cork airport seems to draw a real odd crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You can guarantee some of the comments such as the Rome brigade, bring back Prague and DAA to blame for everything. If without question Rome made money, an airline would be running it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Yes Rome would be busy.

I work with loads of italians and when speaking to them they hit haveing to get the air bus up to Dublin and would pay what ever if there was a flight from Cork.

Ryan Air with there 500 plus planes I am shocked there isn't a 2 or 3 time a week Rome flight?.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Is there any chance that another route (to Italy) will be released for 2019 at this stage, or have all schedules been finalised now?

Do remember that (technically speaking) a discussion forum like boards.ie is a form of social media! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I think Barcalona Reus is currently coming out from Ryanair. Can choose the dates but when selected it says sold out. But the dates seem to be out anyway atm on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I think Barcalona Reus is currently coming out from Ryanair. Can choose the dates but when selected it says sold out. But the dates seem to be out anyway atm on the site.

Proobably bookable tomorrow so

Naples now bookable for June too

Great sign, due to high demand according to the examiner:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/cork-airport-welcomes-additional-summer-flights-with-ryanair-887148.html

Increased capacity on Girona, Reus, Bergamo, Bordeaux and Carcassone too

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

And Bergamo.

It's great.

Just a balls not knowing the full story when you're booking summer flights a couple of weeks ago!

• Advertisement

Mardyke wrote: »
    And Bergamo.

It's great.

Just a balls not knowing the full story when you're booking summer flights a couple of weeks ago!

True but they are getting better at that..a few years ago new routes werent announced till after the new year which was too late. Looks like 2019 is going to be a v good year for the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wish they'd extend the Bergamo one to start of May to end of September. Handy airport for Lake Como and Lake Garda and access to the Dolomites and Italian Alps. Might even get decentish traffic if left open during winter too as you're not very far away from Courmayer, Breuil Cervinia etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Air France have cut the CDG route on Tuesdays and Thursdays from January.
    Strange move as it's usually very close to being full.
    Probably something to do with their lack of aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

.red. wrote: »
    Air France have cut the CDG route on Tuesdays and Thursdays from January.
    Strange move as it's usually very close to being full.
    Probably something to do with their lack of aircraft.

Its common that time of year, nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Shn99 wrote: »

That set down area is a curse.

The problem I've seen every time I'm coming home is people not using the right lane, instead taking a left towards the bus stop and blocking that up in fairly unique ways.

Hopefully part of the plan is actively preventing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

That set down area is a curse.

The problem I've seen every time I'm coming home is people not using the right lane, instead taking a left towards the bus stop and blocking that up in fairly unique ways.

Hopefully part of the plan is actively preventing this.

Hopefully so, I haven't seen the new markings, but its supposed to be a lot clearer. There is also a new two way system to the Red Long Term.

I'm not sure how the set down parking will work as it uses ANPR cameras. They allow 15 minutes free before a charge applies, so is it that if you stay over 15 mins the exit barrier doesn't open ? That's fine if the driver has a payment card but I presume those without will have some sort of pull in area to maintain traffic flow ? anyone know

"The outer right-hand lane on the forecourt can be used by private vehicles, for set down and drop off only. A barrier system with automatic number plate recognition is in place and access will be free-of-charge for up to 15 minutes to allow for normal drop off and collection. For drivers who wish to stay beyond the 15 minute grace period, charges will apply. Those dropping off or collecting passengers who wish to stay longer are advised to use the short-term multi-storey car park, which is also free for the first 15 minutes."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

This is interesting:

From March 31st 2019, the carrier is changing from AF to City Jet and the time changes to 11:40 from 16:45

Screen-Shot-2018-11-30-at-14-28-54.png

Similar sized aircraft to the 190 AF have recently upgraded the ORK-CDG route

The Aer Lingus flight is at 12:40, which is the one I'd take as it only costs about €40, if booked far enough in advance.
    I've only used the AF CDG flight the one time that I had to.

If the AF/City Jet flight was a 6-7am flight I wouldn't mind paying that bit extra, but I suppose their primary market are the connecting flights out of CDG.

This is interesting:

From March 31st 2019, the carrier is changing from AF to City Jet and the time changes to 11:40 from 16:45

The Aer Lingus flight is at 12:40, which is the one I'd take as it only costs about €40, if booked far enough in advance.

If the AF/City Jet flight was a 6-7am flight I wouldn't mind paying that bit extra, but I suppose their primary market are the connecting flights out of CDG.

AF was always an evening flight? 4:50pm was their usual time. Schiphol covers morning connections into the AF/KLM network so it makes sense that AF would cover evenings. The Amsterdam flight only goes 3 or 4 evenings per week.

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    This is interesting:

AF was always an evening flight? 4:50pm was their usual time. Schiphol covers morning connections into the AF/KLM network so it makes sense that AF would cover evenings. The Amsterdam flight only goes 3 or 4 evenings per week.
    Yeah that’s what he said

Advertisement