Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

daithi7 wrote: »
    Why isn't there a billboard advertisement, such as a Route map for Cork Airport on the road outside the airport, or on the access roads to the city to promote the airport???

Why is Cork Airport so badly marketed!?!

(answers on a postcard please, or call the Dublin Airport Authority to speak to the management of Cork Airport)

Bucket loads on social media. Very heavily marketed on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

daithi7 wrote: »
    Why isn't there a billboard advertisement, such as a Route map for Cork Airport on the road outside the airport, or on the access roads to the city to promote the airport???

Why is Cork Airport so badly marketed!?!

(answers on a postcard please, or call the Dublin Airport Authority to speak to the management of Cork Airport)

I've said that on this thread before. They are on FB and instagram but not all of us are avid followers of social media.

I'm in South Tipperary and there is nothing about Cork Airport in our media - radio/local papers.

The airport could do with sending out their marketing team to surrounding counties, Limerick, Kerry, Tipperary, Waterford to promote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I've said that on this thread before. They are on FB and instagram but not all of us are avid followers of social media.

I'm in South Tipperary and there is nothing about Cork Airport in our media - radio/local papers.

The airport could do with sending out their marketing team to surrounding counties, Limerick, Kerry, Tipperary, Waterford to promote it.

Inclined to agree that more could be done to reach out to other Counties. Cork have their own Cork based marketing team but most of their efforts seem to stay within the county. I travel to Lisbon frequently with a colleague that lives in Tipp, he was totally unaware of the route until i mentioned I was using it.

No doubt a balance in diluting funds versus attracting new passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Norwegian to close down PVD base, no word on cork flights yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Shn99 wrote: »
    Norwegian to close down PVD base, no word on cork flights yet..

Well that's not good.... Damn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

marvsins wrote: »
    Bucket loads on social media. Very heavily marketed on Instagram.

Not everyone is on social media. Definately agree more billboards and radio advertising in the surrounding counties. I find cork airport is so much easier when travelling with young kids than using dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Not sure how long these are going to stay out of Cork. Hopefully Aerlingus will look at what has been a pretty successful route on a new airline for the airport, with no connections in extremely turbulent times and maybe look at picking up Logan and/or JFK a few times a week with an A321 a few years down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Basically way I see it Norwegian will go bust only a matter of time. As for Aer Lingus flying one those new Neos out of Cork to US wouldn't be holding to much optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

You'd have to think that even with neo and MAX, the runway is simply too short to make transatlantic flights truly viable. If safety considerations mean that they can't take off with a full load of pax and/or freight, it's a hard sell. Cork needs another couple of hundred metres.

• Advertisement

cantalach wrote: »
    You'd have to think that even with neo and MAX, the runway is simply too short to make transatlantic flights truly viable. If safety considerations mean that they can't take off with a full load of pax and/or freight, it's a hard sell. Cork needs another couple of hundred metres.

Why won't they upgrade the runway now, or soon, and plan ahead for the future? Are the DAA being stingy with Cork, and focusing too much interest on Dublin?

It's Ireland's second largest airport, and continually growing. But that growth will only continue if the DAA are ahead of the game with planning, and that includes an extended runway to entice more transatlantic / medium to long hail flights.

Obviously there's a considerable cost involved, but in the long term, it should definitely pay off..

Why won't they upgrade the runway now, or soon, and plan ahead for the future? Are the DAA being stingy with Cork, and focusing too much interest on Dublin?

It's Ireland's second largest airport, and continually growing. But that growth will only continue if the DAA are ahead of the game with planning, and that includes an extended runway to entice more transatlantic / medium to long hail flights.

Obviously there's a considerable cost involved, but in the long term, it should definitely pay off..

It is not on any long term plans. I haven't seen any definitive statement on how an A321LR or Neo or even how the Max works going to Boston and New York from Cork. We were told that ORK-PVD would suffer from all sorts of diversions westward but they don't seem to have materialized. I would guess that there is not any major issues with those three planes and it's more Airlines being reluctant to run the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I was expecting Cork Nice flights to start from May this year but they are actually starting near end of April on the Aer Lingus site :)

‘Cork Airport is targeting further transatlantic opportunities as well as more city and sun destinations in 2019’
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/cork-airport-eyeing-more-transatlantic-flights-waterford-airport-awaits-decision-on-future-899643.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

‘Cork Airport is targeting further transatlantic opportunities as well as more city and sun destinations in 2019’
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/cork-airport-eyeing-more-transatlantic-flights-waterford-airport-awaits-decision-on-future-899643.html

They could be looking afresh for any transatlantic flights soon the way Norwegian is going

Also, that claim by Norwegian about runway length is likely bollixed and should be forgotten about at this stage. SWF and PVD are not that far apart

What is the length of the runway in Waterford? Amazing they are requesting a runway extension when Cork have not at any stage in the last few years....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

snotboogie wrote: »
    What is the length of the runway in Waterford? Amazing they are requesting a runway extension when Cork have not at any stage in the last few years....

It's fairly short: 1433m according to their own website.

From Wiki:

Screen-Shot-2019-01-23-at-21-34-28.png

Also by closer comparison London City is 1508m

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Not a proper "airport" question but just wondering if anyone knows- is there anywhere you can buy Tanora in Cork airport when you've gone through security?
    Thanks to anyone who knows!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Doesn't seem to be any attempt in Cork to get a runway extension. It's a pity because an extra few hundred metres would comfortably handle transatlantic flights

m*pp*t wrote: »
    Not a proper "airport" question but just wondering if anyone knows- is there anywhere you can buy Tanora in Cork airport when you've gone through security?
    Thanks to anyone who knows!

Yes, I've seen it for sale in 500ml bottles at The Loop duty free in the fridges. WHSmith may also have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

marno21 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be any attempt in Cork to get a runway extension. It's a pity because an extra few hundred metres would comfortably handle transatlantic flights

cork county council offered land to cork airport to extend the runway but it was turned down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Yes, I've seen it for sale in 500ml bottles at The Loop duty free in the fridges. WHSmith may also have it.

Yep, the loop has it but WHSmith doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Thanks for the Tanora help - my Corkonian friend in London will be delighted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Anybody know will there be more easter / april flights to the canaries ? Was looking last night and thought there were more in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

m*pp*t wrote: »
    Thanks for the Tanora help - my Corkonian friend in London will be delighted!!

He won't. They changed the recipe and it tastes terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

50% less sugar.
    If they put an extra Euro on, and went back to the regular Tanora, it’d sell just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

After national complaints (around Cork) the new receipe was withdrawn. The original receipe was brought back but they kept the new bottle label.

They did reduce the sugar. That keeps it cheap. Saw 1.75L for €1 in Dunnes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

marvsins wrote: »
    After national complaints (around Cork) the new receipe was withdrawn. The original receipe was brought back but they kept the new bottle label.

They did reduce the sugar. That keeps it cheap. Saw 1.75L for €1 in Dunnes today.

But it now tastes awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Good to see steady growth again in 2018. Any negative brexit impact in 2019 should be cancelled out by the new routes in 2019. Wonder how the bookings are going for the new destinations.

Advertisement