Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

An Antonov An-26 b just took off a few minutes ago. Was as loud as hell. Operated by RAF-Avia. Anyone know anything about it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

October numbers for Luton and Lisbon:

London - Luton (LTN),Great Britain 926
    Lisbon (LIS),Portugal 583

What date in Oct did these routes start?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

An Antonov An-26 b just took off a few minutes ago. Was as loud as hell. Operated by RAF-Avia. Anyone know anything about it?.

In from Liverpool and out to Cologne with a load of car parts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    October numbers for Luton and Lisbon:

London - Luton (LTN),Great Britain 926
    Lisbon (LIS),Portugal 583

What date in Oct did these routes start?

Luton started daily the 28th

Lisbon started the 26th and also ran the 29th

marno21 wrote: »
    Luton started daily the 28th

Lisbon started the 26th and also ran the 29th

We'll have to wait for the Nov numbers so

• Advertisement

Just the other note on the CSO details from September and Oct, the PVD numbers are way up; 33% in Sept to 3,258 and 25% in Oct to 2,930.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Just the other note on the CSO details from September and Oct, the PVD numbers are way up; 33% in Sept to 3,258 and 25% in Oct to 2,930.

Surely with numbers like those there is a business case for a route like that even if Norwegian pull out or collapse ?

kub wrote: »
    Surely with numbers like those there is a business case for a route like that even if Norwegian pull out or collapse ?

Who knows? I’ve noticed people who do frequent travel to Boston in my office slowly start to take it up, moreso with Americans visiting us actually. It’s getting harder and harder to justify going BA via London since the Norwegian route has bedded in. Maybe the winter break will hurt the credibility?

I’ve seen the discussion on pprune and the consensus is that JetBlue and Aerlingus would be the only possible players for US routes and both are extremely unlikely. Westjet and AirCanada Rouge would be far more likely to take a punt on Canadian routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I heard that yesterday very loud I tried FR but it wasn't showing on it. Seemed to climb very fast as well when I finally spotted it from the window it was very high up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

kub wrote: »

Problem is they sell low fare seats across the Atlantic change to a legacy airline like Are Lingus with full fares might not see as much uptake.

• Advertisement

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Problem is they sell low fare seats across the Atlantic change to a legacy airline like Are Lingus with full fares might not see as much uptake.

I’d argue with access to JFK and Logan over Providence, along with connections (there are essentially zero from PVD) and the osmosis of using Aerlingus with the public you’d see far more take up. Aerlingus have bigger plans with using Dublin as a hub though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I’d argue with access to JFK and Logan over Providence, along with connections (there are essentially zero from PVD) and the osmosis of using Aerlingus with the public you’d see far more take up. Aerlingus have bigger plans with using Dublin as a hub though.

If Norwegian are getting those figures on point to point route to Rhode Island, I can see a case for a full service route with good connections on the US side especially with business class given the amount of American companies with operations in Cork.

Now that the A321neo and 737 MAX are available maybe it might actually happen now. Especially given Shannon can support eight North American routes in the summer and 3 in winter

Air Canada going for Shannon over Cork with their route wasn't a good omen though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

marno21 wrote: »
    Air Canada going for Shannon over Cork with their route wasn't a good omen though
    How come? Unfortunately at the end of the day SNN had a better business case, ands the route seems to be performing well

Shn99 wrote: »
    How come? Unfortunately at the end of the day SNN had a better business case, ands the route seems to be performing well

Shannon seemed to have good numbers in Sept and Oct for Norwegian too. Was the frequency the same as Cork?

Shannon seemed to have good numbers in Sept and Oct for Norwegian too. Was the frequency the same as Cork?

4x weekly, went up from 2x weekly last april

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Watching the U20 Ireland vs England rugby game last night on TV from Musgrave Park and staring me in the face are huge ‘FLY FROM SHANNON’ ads around the ground.

What a bloody laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Watching the U20 Ireland vs England rugby game last night on TV from Musgrave Park and staring me in the face are huge ‘FLY FROM SHANNON’ ads around the ground.

Thats coz shannon airport is an offical sponsor to Munster rugby so nothing that can be done about that. Unless cork airport pay to have a sign there too.However years ago i do remember a fly shannon sign near the kinsale road arounabout. Id have a bigger problem with that one

Thats coz shannon airport is an offical sponsor to Munster rugby so nothing that can be done about that. Unless cork airport pay to have a sign there too.However years ago i do remember a fly shannon sign near the kinsale road arounabout. Id have a bigger problem with that one

They sponsor Munster Rugby, not Irish rugby. At the end of the day whoever pays the most gets their adverts up. Wether it be Cork, Shannon,Dublin or even Knock. Any company is allowed to advertise whenever they want..Cork could easily come up to limerick if they wanted to and start an advertising campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Speaking of shannon Airport a few of the buses in the city have fly from shannon airport on them i started laughing when I seen this should Cork Airport not promote there own airport more?.

But I do love flying from Cork Airport over Dublin. I am due to go on a long Hall flight in the next few months I reather go via London then direct from Dublin.

One it's nice after a flight I have 20 mins in a taxi and I am home and two I don't have to deal with the nightmare that is Dublin Airport.

The travel times work out the same when you add in the 3 and 1/2 hour bus!!!

Shn99 wrote: »
    That's what I was saying. For Cork to get TATL services some existing airline will have to take a punt on Cork. Air Canada took a punt on a regional airport in Ireland last year and it was Shannon. An opportunity for this to happen may not come for a while again, EI seem to be putting 2 year round A321neos in Shannon and running JFK/BOS year round with the improved economics of the new plane. None of the US3 seem to be planning TATL using 737 MAXs but American and Delta are both starting deliveries of A321neos in 2019/2020 respectively to replace their 757 fleets so that may be a possibility.

I have no doubt the YYZ-SNN service is doing well, Toronto/Canada are both popular destinations and Shannon seems to be able to sustain large TATL numbers during peak season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

To be fair, fly from Shannon is an advert for the services Cork doesn’t have, and aims to grab those who might otherwise fly from Dublin or via London.

Cork doesn’t need advertising in Cork. If the flights are there and in demand people will use them, if not they won’t. Very few passengers will air coach to Dublin or bus to Shannon to save a few quid over a cork flight, but plenty will do it to avoid an expensive heathrow connection and the Heathrow flight doesn’t need advertising.

As for transatlantics from Cork, they may become sustainable in future with growth but I wonder if an M20 and M40 north ring isn’t a better solution for the businesses in the area to access transatlantic flights within 75 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

We used the aspire lounge 2 weeks ago, very happy with it. Think it was €26 each which seems a bit much but it actually worked out at very good value.
    We both had food, it was some kind of a beef and rice dish which was ok, nothing special but looked better than what was on offer in the restaurant. We also had a slice of cake and a pack of crisps each. 3 G&T and 3 bottles of bulmers.
    The 6 drinks and crisps would probably have cost close to the €26 if we'd been in the bar which was packed.
    It's nice and comfy in there, no kids running round and the staff were lovely.
    I'd happily use it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Have to agree, it's a nice lounge. Perfect size for the airport.

----

Air France next month will switch their flight time to a mid-morning flight to facilitate more connections at CDG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Yeah, Cork Airport isn't marketed or promoted properly as it is run by the Dublin Airport Authority

Until it is made independent it will not realise it's potential imho....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

More new routes to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gamb!t wrote: »
    More new routes to be announced.

Link? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

daithi7 wrote: »
    Yeah, Cork Airport isn't marketed or promoted properly as it is run by the Dublin Airport Authority

Until it is made independent it will note realise it's potential imho....

Id say the marketing team in Cork wouldn’t agree. They have strong campaigns in Waterford for the new routes plus 9% passenger growth in Jan is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Id say the marketing team in Cork wouldn’t agree. They have strong campaigns in Waterford for the new routes plus 9% passenger growth in Jan is incredible.

Naturally they wouldn't agree, cos they are vested interests. Also it would be an implicit admission that their work isn't enough.

Yeah, 9% traffic growth sounds impressive, except Cork Airport has eay underperformed for well over a decade now, and is a new (ish) piece of infrastructure that has never been allowed to reach it's full potential imho.

9% of a fraction of the traffic the airport should carry is better but it still ain't great.

Seeing Shannon airport actively advertising and promoting itself in a stadium less than 4km from Cork airport says it all really.

When will we see Cork Airport & its extensive routes(?) being promoted in Thomond Park, on the shorts of Munster Rugby Players, or elsewhere around the province for that matter?!?

Answers on a postcard please?? �� zz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Just to add 're Shannon, they sponsor Munster Rugby. Musgrave Park as we all know is one of their grounds.
    I also saw Shannon airport advertised on a double decker in Mahon earlier today.

Advertisement