Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

On a DRY runway @ 10C the aircraft will be limited to 425,000 lbs, with an empty weight of around 260,000 lbs, the trip fuel with a 40 kt headwind will be about 57,000 and another 7000 for the alternate, so the payload will be 100,000 lbs.

The problem is when it rains, if the runway is considered WET, then the minimum VMCG limited runway length will be 7700 feet which is longer than Corks longest runway.

Its quite a gamble to plan a route with the expectation that the runway will always stay dry (even with grooving). So i doubt that it will be a 787-8.

(Source of data FAA QRH, hence the units in LBS)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Confirmed on the Norwegian website that the routes will be serviced by 737-800 and 737 MAX when they are delivered in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Aircoach services to Dublin Airport/City were very busy during the summer months; Kearney's of Cork were also providing relief services.

On some occasions, Aircoach were leaving passengers behind.

In my opinion, the Aircoach bus service has been damaging to Cork Airport; the Aircoach service has been an outstanding success.

Are people from Munster going to use these new services rather than travel to Dublin Airport via Aircoach?

mickmmc wrote: »
    Aircoach services to Dublin Airport/City were very busy during the summer months; Kearney's of Cork were also providing relief services.

In my opinion, the Aircoach bus service has been damaging to Cork Airport; the Aircoach service has been an outstanding success.

Are people from Munster going to use these new services rather than travel to Dublin Airport via Aircoach?

If the price is right why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

mickmmc wrote: »

They carry a lot of passengers to Dublin City only, I don' really believe it's damaging the airport as if there was no bus people would still get to Dublin to fly where ever they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Its great news. EMC must be delighted.... with all the mutli nationals in cork, UCC, etc can see a demand for it. Cork Airport please don't let this opportunity to be messed up... great for the hotels, b&bs car hire companies taxis, retail etc.. Shannon Airport wont be happy though
    There are no pleasing some people though I had a good giggle at some comments on social media for the announcement.. someone even said they would rather stay using Dublin because they didn't want to go through the Kinsale road roundabout..

I do wonder about the 3/4 times a week flight and then with New York flights coming along in 2017, I doubt it will stay that frequent once New York starts. would there be that much demand all year round... hopefully they will be priced reasonable enough, if they are I will definitely avail of the service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Like ya, 3am coach to Dublin or a 9am taxi to Cork International Airport:P I know the one I'd take.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

roundymac wrote: »
    Like ya, 3am coach to Dublin or a 9am taxi to Cork International Airport:P I know the one I'd take.

Add to that the unbelievable annoyance of dealing with the crowding in Dublin airport compared to the complete simplicity of breezing thru security in Cork airport....I cant understand people who travel to Dublin if there is a suitable flight from Cork. It is worth paying more for a Cork flight for the time and hassle saving unless there is a huge difference which there nearly never is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I'm thrilled to hear this news. I normally fly to the US via London in order to support our little airport. This is a massive boost so I hope everyone supports it.

The is some amount of people whinging and moaning on twitter and Facebook about no US preclearance in Cork for these flights. Some ppl are never happy.

• Advertisement

flew to San Fran via London last year and pre clearance wasn't much of an issue. the queue in San Fran wasn't that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Honestly, do people not realise that this is a stepping stone to a bright future for Cork Airport. Clearance takes about an hour no matter what side you present at. In order for this to be a success people need to get behind it. Fly from Cork or travel the manky road to Shannon just for pre-clearance? I know which one I'd choose.

is there an option to extend the runway in cork airport?

People in Cork really need to back if they want to see Cork Airport succeed. Norwegian could launch others routes if its successful.

People in Cork really need to back if they want to see Cork Airport succeed. Norwegian could launch others routes if its successful.

Exactly the cork public need to put bums on seats...also the tourism boards plugging the atlantic way need to highlight this flight option as the start or end point of it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I fully agree it's a big scoop for Cork but Norwegian airlines can expand rapidly in Europe in future if successful and make routes which Aer Lingus can't work etc.

If these routes fail it is the people's fault and this nonsense of Cork splitting from the daa is no history as you can't say airlines wouldn't fly to x, y or z and the daa don't want Cork to succeed. If they fail then no operators will look at Cork seriously in future.

There is no need for pre clearance at Cork and it would increase costs for Norwegian something I feel they won't want and a facility would not be viable with one operator and because there is no US carriers at Cork US austerities will not be keen on granting it.

It's very over rated while handy for connections that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

This could be huge for Cork Airport.

This from Norwegian Air CEO Bjoern Kjos
    The CEO also confirmed that talks are under way on cooperation with Ryanair Holdings Plc, Europe’s biggest discount carrier, that could see the Irish company help feed passenger’s onto Norwegian’s long-haul flights “from every corner of Europe.” A deal could be concluded “shortly,” he said

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-25/norwegian-air-plans-europe-u-s-links-using-single-aisle-737-max

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I booked a flight to the US West Coast from Dublin via Boston to avail of preclearance, instead of departing from Cork via London. After I checked in at Dublin... no preclearance for Boston passengers. Doh! Also, after the return leg I nearly fell asleep driving back from Dublin, I was so tired. Preclearance doesn't make much difference anyway.

This is a great development for Cork Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

This is great news. Literally puts Cork back on the map!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It's not the comfort issue I would be concerned about in a 737 as much the ability of the plane to consistently make the trip non-stop. There's a reason why you don't see many airlines flying transatlantic on the current generation of 737s, any decent headwinds westbound will result in a fuel stop and, if that becomes a regular occurrence, the delayed flights will give the airline and route a poor reputation.

The next generation models might deal with that issue but they are not available yet. I'd still query whether this will actually happen or, if it does, whether it will stick around for any significant length of time. Michael O'Leary was asked about transatlantic 737 flights before and, while his response was partly a joke, there was some truth in it as well.

“Ryanair will never fly the Atlantic route because one cannot get there in a Boeing 737, unless one has a very strong tail wind or passengers who can swim the last hour of the flight.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I've had non pre-clearance twice and it was brutal. Having done pre-clearance a number of times, it is a factor when choosing flights.
    That said, 3+hrs to/from Shannon or 4+hrs to/from Dublin, a direct flight from Cork is very appealing and I'd take advantage of it.

I'm not going to support Cork airport just because it's 'Corks' airport or because it's 'local'. It either comes along with flights to attract customers (like this new proposal) or it dies. The airport is there to service Cork and the wider area, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

3hours to Shannon?

This service is great news for Cork and if the catchment supports it I can see it lasting a while. It will be interesting to see the times if the service and things like that, I assume the flight is stopping in Cork both ways?

Also, Cork isn't going to turn into a hub with this either, its 4/5 flights a week. Big for the airport and area yes, but its not going to make Cork the new Heathrow.

I wish the service well, and hope other airlines follow Norwegian and there free WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I assume the flight is stopping in Cork both ways?

Well the passengers will be hoping so anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Carnacalla wrote: »
    3hours to Shannon?
    3+hrs to/from Shannon. Round trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

I heard the air bridge is getting rusty up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

ROY RACE wrote: »
    I heard the air bridge is getting rusty up there.

The airbridge is fine. Its used on a regular basis.

What we need is a second one in case somebody parks one of their planes by the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

roundymac wrote: »
    What we need is a second one in case somebody parks one of their planes by the first one.

Thats true. Sure the pilots just drop the planes wherever they want dont they!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

This has been a huge boost to the morale of the staff at the airport and it's great to see a new buzz amongst the team.....its been a difficult time up there so any route, let alone transatlantic is great. They were looking at a 6% increase in traffic before this was even confirmed, so 2016/17 is quite exciting.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    Thats true. Sure the pilots just drop the planes wherever they want dont they!!
    I was thinking of one company in particular that operate a Boston service from an airport not too far away.

Advertisement