Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Gamb!t wrote: »
    More new routes to be announced.

Exciting!

Heading to Italy and France for a trip in a few months - Booked Nice for my return leg in April, €46 coming back - nice price to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

https://www.corkairport.com/destinations/route-map

a thing of beauty isn't it!? Hard to imagine how you would graphic design a worse route map tbh. It's also not viewable on mobile. Pathetic, truly pathetic.

p,s, kindly pass this on to their (DAA) web developer or the management (DAA management who are responsible for Cork airport website that is)

p,p,s like they will give a hoot!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Link? Thanks
    The manager of the airport posted it on LinkedIn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I vote for a massive increase in flights to Gatwick. AL do 5 from Dublin and Ryanair do 8, and I have seen it higher.

For Cork, AL do none and Ryanair do 1. Lets have more because I am not using Stansted.

I vote for a massive increase in flights to Gatwick. AL do 5 from Dublin and Ryanair do 8, and I have seen it higher.

For Cork, AL do none and Ryanair do 1. Lets have more because I am not using Stansted.

Would be handy alright. Especially for the connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

In fairness, EI (and easyJet?) did try Gatwick from Cork, but FR drove them off the route before dropping frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Id say the marketing team in Cork wouldn’t agree. They have strong campaigns in Waterford for the new routes plus 9% passenger growth in Jan is incredible.

Not in Tipperary - we are less than an hour away - need much better promotion of routes and facilities.

I'd like Cork to Birmingham please - AL did do it for a while but its been dropped. I do a lot of travelling to Birmingham for business, would be handy.

Edit - As pointed out to me, AL still do Cork/Bham - not sure why I went RA from Dublin, but probably price €50 vs €150

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'd like Cork to Birmingham please - AL did do it for a while but its been dropped. I do a lot of travelling to Birmingham for business, would be handy.

Has it? I'm off to climes foreign in April and was offered a routing via BHX but went elsewhere instead due to Brexit.

Cork to Birmingham is still 2x daily with Aer Lingus.

• Advertisement

Has it? I'm off to climes foreign in April and was offered a routing via BHX but went elsewhere instead due to Brexit.

You are right, I just checked. Now I'm wondering why I didn't go from Cork, possibly price - €50 vs €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

You are right, I just checked. Now I'm wondering why I didn't go from Cork, possibly price - €50 vs €150.

If living in Cork you made a saving of €100, add in petrol or diesel, tolls, 5-7 hours driving(depending on times and where in cork you are) and that €100 doesn't seem so great. Unless there's at least 2 people travelling it doesn't make sense.

The air coach is about €25, and about a 6 hour round journey. You need a spin into and out of town as parking is too expensive.

For the extra €75 I'd rather fly from Cork. Land and arrive home 20mins later with a lot less hassle. Maybe I'm in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

.red. wrote: »
    If living in Cork you made a saving of €100, add in petrol or diesel, tolls, 5-7 hours driving(depending on times and where in cork you are) and that €100 doesn't seem so great. Unless there's at least 2 people travelling it doesn't make sense.

The air coach is about €25, and about a 6 hour round journey. You need a spin into and out of town as parking is too expensive.

For the extra €75 I'd rather fly from Cork. Land and arrive home 20mins later with a lot less hassle. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Your point is well made different strokes for different folks. People tend to underestimate the value of their own time also. How much does a person spend on food,coffee etc waiting around for an aircoach or at motorway service stations.

.red. wrote: »
    If living in Cork ........

I live in Tipperary - sometimes cost is an issue plus I have family in dublin so two birds with one stone - though I much prefer Cork airport.

Rumours from a contact at DUB that Ryanair are setting up a full time maintenance team at ORK. Possibly new routes from them soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Rumours from a person I know that Ryanair are setting up a full time maintenance team at ORK. Possibly new routes from them soon?

Maintenance team as in a hangar ect?

As far as I know, yes. Don't hold me to it but the source is fairly trustworthy.

Interesting, wonder where it would fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Shn99 wrote: »
    Maintenance team as in a hangar ect?

There won't be a hangar.
    There's only one above and Weston have it, a 737 wouldn't fit in anyway.

There's usually a maintenance guy there in the summer for the 2nd/3rd aircraft. He just does general maintenance tho. Anything more than that is done in Stansted where they just do an aircraft swap and send a different one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews//business/brian-gallagher-cork-airport-enters-its-fourth-year-of-sustained-growth-902682.html

Interesting article on the goals of the new business development manager at Cork. Short term goals are European Capitals, reinstating Eastern European routes and New York. He seems notably most downbeat on New York. He also mentions a bizarre long term goal of west coast routes, I assume this would require serious infrastructure upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

snotboogie wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews//business/brian-gallagher-cork-airport-enters-its-fourth-year-of-sustained-growth-902682.html

Interesting article on the goals of the new business development manager at Cork. Short term goals are European Capitals, reinstating Eastern European routes and New York. He seems notably most downbeat on New York. He also mentions a bizarre long term goal of west coast routes, I assume this would require serious infrastructure upgrades.

He worked in a similar role in Dublin for quite a while and unfortunately I can't see any new routes that would take passengers away from DUB

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

He worked in a similar role in Dublin for quite a while and unfortunately I can't see any new routes that would take passengers away from DUB

He must have started in Dublin straight from Naíonra I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

grogi wrote: »
    He must have started in Dublin straight from Naíonra I guess...

Looks a bit like that :pac: but he was three years at least in DUB in a similar role while I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

recently booked the family holiday and flights were 500 euro cheaper flying from dublin ... that the issue right there .. the DAA driving up the numbers in dublin to justify a new runway or terminal or whatever they want by screwing over the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

opti76 wrote: »
    recently booked the family holiday and flights were 500 euro cheaper flying from dublin ... that the issue right there .. the DAA driving up the numbers in dublin to justify a new runway or terminal or whatever they want by screwing over the competition.

Dublin Airport is so far ahead, they cannot in any way feel threatened by any route or pricing in Cork. There are still great deals to be had out of Cork

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dublin Airport carries more than 12x what Cork Airport carries. There is no equivalency between the two

These days Dublin Airport is competing with Heathrow/Amsterdam etc for connecting traffic, not with Cork or Shannon

snotboogie wrote: »
    Dublin Airport is so far ahead, they cannot in any way feel threatened by any route or pricing in Cork. There are still great deals to be had out of Cork

Make no mistake about it Cork Airport is a potential competitor, albeit a much smaller one , but nonetheless a competitor all the same.

Worse, government policy U turned previously on making it independent, ~ 10 years ago. So the DAA are managing a smaller potential competitor, knowing that they're just another policy u turn to having this competitor fully competing for routes, traffic and passengers once again.

In between times, Cork Airport is between a rock(the DAA) and a hard place (a subsidised Shannon airport that can act like a budget airport due to a bequeathed commercial park yielding >€6m pa to its income). Hard lines.

daithi7 wrote: »
    Make no mistake about it Cork Airport is a potential competitor, albeit a much smaller one , but nonetheless a competitor all the same.

Worse, government policy U turned previously on making it independent, ~ 10 years ago. So the DAA are managing a smaller potential competitor, knowing that they're just another policy u turn to having this competitor fully competing for routes, traffic and passengers once again.

In between times, Cork Airport is between a rock(the DAA) and a hard place (a subsidised Shannon airport that can act like a budget airport due to a bequeathed commercial park yielding >€6m pa to its income). Hard lines.
    Shannon airport or Shannon Group isn’t a subsidized by the government, it’s a profitable company and the commercial park has an occupancy of around 90% .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Shn99 wrote: »
    Shannon airport or Shannon Group isn’t a subsidized by the government, it’s a profitable company and the commercial park has an occupancy of around 90% .

I think perhaps the post was intended differently than you may have read it.

I read it as "Shannon airport operations are subsidized by the profitability of the commercial park, which allows it to operate and compete as a low-budget/low-cost airport".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

shannon is independent... like it wanted to be!!!

Am sure they not finding the grass as green as they expected it to be. I can't understand this fascination people have on wanting Cork to break away from the DAA. The last thing Cork want is to have Dublin as a serious competitor rather than an ally.

Advertisement