Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Masala wrote: »
    shannon is independent... like it wanted to be!!!

Am sure they not finding the grass as green as they expected it to be. I can't understand this fascination people have on wanting Cork to break away from the DAA. The last thing Cork want is to have Dublin as a serious competitor rather than an ally.

Earnest question :

Are there any examples internationally where a bigger airport runs a smaller airport (~3 hours away by car)?

And if so, do those airports do better as independent entities, or run by the bigger competitor I wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

daithi7 wrote: »
    Earnest question :

Are there any examples internationally where a bigger airport runs a smaller airport (~3 hours away by car)?

And if so, do those airports do better as independent entities, or run by the bigger competitor I wonder??

The Port Authority for example operate several airports in the New York region.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Earnest question :

I find the whole thing scandalous and I find it bizarre that no Cork politicians are speaking out about it.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The Port Authority for example operate several airports in the New York region.

Tks for that. Why don't they call themselves the ' Jfk Airport Authority' I wonder?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Masala wrote: »
    shannon is independent... like it wanted to be!!!

Am sure they not finding the grass as green as they expected it to be. I can't understand this fascination people have on wanting Cork to break away from the DAA. The last thing Cork want is to have Dublin as a serious competitor rather than an ally.

No idea if this is correct but that is the view of people in Cork airport that I know also. They say that if daa weren't managing Cork airport that Dublin airport would be much more aggressive in going after traffic from the population of Cork. As things stand they don't advertise down here, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Shn99 wrote: »
    Shannon airport or Shannon Group isn’t a subsidized by the government, it’s a profitable company and the commercial park has an occupancy of around 90% .
    It got a massive subsidy at the time it went independent so yes it got significant state aid to help it. Shannon group was also gifted a significant amount of land and commercial properties to help it fun itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

No idea if this is correct but that is the view of people in Cork airport that I know also. They say that if daa weren't managing Cork airport that Dublin airport would be much more aggressive in going after traffic from the population of Cork. As things stand they don't advertise down here, etc.

Do the DAA do that in Limerick/Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

snotboogie wrote: »
    Do the DAA do that in Limerick/Shannon?

Aer Lingus advertise for DUB up here sometimes, even on the catering vans in Shannon, however yet to see a DAA affiliated advertisement. They’ve done it extensively in Belfast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I'd suspect we're currently near the limit of Cork-origin passengers travelling via Dublin anyway. Most people I know don't want to go to Dublin and are willing to pay more to fly via Cork.

I don't think more aggressive marketing overcomes the fact that I would have a 5 hour round trip drive, fuel/toll/parking or transport costs, the large amount of walking, the waiting between transport modes and the safety margin-of-error time I'd have to build into the schedule.

Dublin airport is a horrible experience for me. The only time I travel via Dublin is when I don't have alternative options, or the cost is far far cheaper. Most of the time I'm already paying double the price to travel from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Dublin airport is a horrible experience for me. The only time I travel via Dublin is when I don't have alternative options, or the cost is far far cheaper. Most of the time I'm already paying double the price to travel from Cork.

I can consider going through Dublin when there is a direct flight from there, while flying from Cork requires a transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I'm going to Birmingham tomorrow via Dublin - but price was a consideration for me. The return flight cost €5.

I'm also taking the bus for the first time from Tipperary, Kavanaghs, so no toll booths, no petrol and no parking.

I still prefer Cork but they need to work on pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I'm going to Birmingham tomorrow via Dublin - but price was a consideration for me. The return flight cost €5.

I'm also taking the bus for the first time from Tipperary, Kavanaghs, so no toll booths, no petrol and no parking.

I still prefer Cork but they need to work on pricing.

The airlines dictate the pricing, but I agree, fares with Aer Lingus to even just UK destinations are ridiculous.

I want to fly to Scotland in May. €90 each way with Aer Lingus from Cork, vs. €20 each way from Dublin. Mental like.

I'd choose Cork everytime over Dublin. But not when the differences are that huge.

I'm flying back from Nice to Cork in April and got the fare at a very respectable €46. More of that please, Aer Lingus!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The airlines dictate the pricing, but I agree, fares with Aer Lingus to even just UK destinations are ridiculous.

I want to fly to Scotland in May. €90 each way with Aer Lingus from Cork, vs. €20 each way from Dublin. Mental like.

I'd choose Cork everytime over Dublin. But not when the differences are that huge.

I'm flying back from Nice to Cork in April and got the fare at a very respectable €46. More of that please, Aer Lingus!

Aer Lingus are not charging 20 euro from DUB...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus are not charging 20 euro from DUB...

Lowest to Scotland I could find is €71 from Dublin.... Or around €40 with Ryanair (which don't fly from Cork to Glasgow nor Edinburgh).

Airport charges and concessions are a major part of airfare costs.

Airport charges and concessions are a major part of airfare costs.

Of which, Cork and Shannons are joint cheapest so that has no real effect. Most routes have little to no competition which gives the airline the opportunity to charge whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

grogi wrote: »
    Lowest to Scotland I could find is €71 from Dublin.... Or around €40 with Ryanair (which don't fly from Cork to Glasgow nor Edinburgh).

Yes meant with Ryanair from Dublin. Factor in the carry on bag and it's 30 each way. Still way cheaper. Shame they don't have more UK routes from ORK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

grogi wrote: »

Except end of March when you can book Ryanair to Edinburgh

Of which, Cork and Shannons are joint cheapest so that has no real effect. Most routes have little to no competition which gives the airline the opportunity to charge whatever they want.

Is that true?

Do Cork & Shannon change the same for landing fees & handling fees etc??

Because nearly all relevant media reports that I've read previously have stated or implied that Shannon Airport charges less.

Is that true?

Do Cork & Shannon change the same for landing fees & handling fees etc??

Because nearly all relevant media reports that I've read previously have stated or implied that Shannon Airport charges less.

Yes. Info is readily available on both websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Except end of March when you can book Ryanair to Edinburgh

That's just for one day for a rugby match.
    Think there's 5/6 flights that day, a few of which are Ryanair.

His comments have been echoed by Cork Airport managing director Niall MacCarthy....
    Speaking at a Cork Business Association (CBA) breakfast meeting, Mr MacCarthy said Shannon’s separation from the DAA has allowed it to strike deals with airlines on landing charges that no commercial airport can compete with.

Despite this and having lost 102,000 passengers to Shannon last year — of a total 110,000 passenger reduction — as a result of Ryanair switching a number of Eastern European services from Cork, Mr MacCarthy denied that the southern airport would continue to lose for as long as the situation continued, describing the last 18 months as “a one-off period that has hit us bad”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-airports-euro200m-debt-is-a-red-herring-328943.html

His comments have been echoed by Cork Airport managing director Niall MacCarthy....
    Speaking at a Cork Business Association (CBA) breakfast meeting, Mr MacCarthy said Shannon’s separation from the DAA has allowed it to strike deals with airlines on landing charges that no commercial airport can compete with.

Despite this and having lost 102,000 passengers to Shannon last year — of a total 110,000 passenger reduction — as a result of Ryanair switching a number of Eastern European services from Cork, Mr MacCarthy denied that the southern airport would continue to lose for as long as the situation continued, describing the last 18 months as “a one-off period that has hit us bad”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-airports-euro200m-debt-is-a-red-herring-328943.html

My comment was based off the 2019 charges for both airports, not 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ryanair flights at Shannon now seem to mainly mirror sone Cork flights. Paris is gone, Berlin is in kerry now and Krakow is about the last attraction. Rest are usual sun spots which are served from Cork already.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Ryanair flights at Shannon now seem to mainly mirror sone Cork flights. Paris is gone, Berlin is in kerry now and Krakow is about the last attraction. Rest are usual sun spots which are served from Cork already.

It's been like that for a while now.

Although, you'd be surprised how many visit Warsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Shannon airport or Shannon Group isn’t a subsidized by the government, it’s a profitable company and the commercial park has an occupancy of around 90% .

They got that commercial park for nothing when they left the DAA. The commercial park at Cork Airport was sold by the DAA in the early or mid 00s.

Acosta wrote: »
    They got that commercial park for nothing when they left the DAA. The commercial park at Cork Airport was sold by the DAA in the early or mid 00s.

It was state owned under the DAA, the airport and the industrial park split into a separate entity. I'm not sure how that counts as a subsidy at all.

Shocking how much Shannon is brought up in a thread about Cork Airport. Suppose some need a scapegoat.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It was state owned under the DAA, the airport and the industrial park split into a separate entity. I'm not sure how that counts as a subsidy at all.

Shocking how much Shannon is brought up in a thread about Cork Airport. Suppose some need a scapegoat.
    Is the business park in Shannon not part of Shannon Commercial Properties, which along with Shannon Airport is part of Shannon Group?

Shannon Airport is incredibly relevant to Cork Airport. It's naive to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Shocking how much Shannon is brought up in a thread about Cor
    Airport. Suppose some need a scapegoat.
    This is going over old ground at this stage but a massive rent roll from a state owned commercial property portfolio that was simply handed to the governing body of Shannon Airport when it went independent does count as a state subsidy plus the €100 million debt wipe out.
    After all this state aid Shannon continues to struggle and seek more state aid.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/shannon-airport-calls-for-funding-support-901190.html
    Shannon is simply in the wrong location with not enough of an immediate catchment area to succeed in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

It's still state owned and the airport and commercial park are run by the same company.

Advertisement