Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

rebs23 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/shannon-airport-calls-for-funding-support-901190.html
    Shannon is simply in the wrong location with not enough of an immediate catchment area to succeed in the long term.

The exact same could’ve been said about cork back in 2015. Ill never understand why people bicker about Shannon so much in this thread. Jealousy over TATL services? Who knows.. Its a Cork Airport thread..You dont see people bickering about Cork Airport every week in the Shannon thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

marno21 wrote: »
    Shannon Airport is incredibly relevant to Cork Airport. It's naive to think otherwise.

Relevant it is, however to an extent. It seems that the toys are thrown out of the pram every few weeks and Shannon is utterly chastised. It's unnecessary and alot of the time entirely off topic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Relevant it is, however to an extent. It seems that the toys are thrown out of the pram every few weeks and Shannon is utterly chastised. It's unnecessary and alot of the time entirely off topic.
    Thank you for acknowledging that. I'm not throwing any toys out of any pram, nor am I chastising Shannon. I am simply pointing out the disparity between policy approach to developing Ireland's 2nd and 3rd airports, which has been going on for decades. If Cork and Shannon had been given equal treatment in development approach since they were both built Ireland's regional aviation landscape would be very different today.

However, your last point is entirely correct and this is off topic for the Cork Airport thread so I will post no more on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I honestly think we should just have a Cork Vs Shannon airport thread instead of filling up this one. Anybody agree?

marno21 wrote: »
    Thank you for acknowledging that. I'm not throwing any toys out of any pram, nor am I chastising Shannon. I am simply pointing out the disparity between policy approach to developing Ireland's 2nd and 3rd airports, which has been going on for decades. If Cork and Shannon had been given equal treatment in development approach since they were both built Ireland's regional aviation landscape would be very different today.

However, your last point is entirely correct and this is off topic for the Cork Airport thread so I will post no more on it.

I never suggested you chastise Shannon or throw your toys out of the pram, frankly I think you're normally fairly balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I like Shannon airport. I don't really mind going there at all. My only question is whether Cork Airport itself is best served by the management team of its biggest competitor. Shannon only comes into discussion because it's an airport not controlled by the DAA.
    Now maybe that thinking's wrong: maybe the DAA are the very best possible management team for Cork. But then if that's the case why was Shannon treated differently?

For me, that's the ONLY reason Shannon comes into discussion: there's a constant lingering question about why the two were treated differently, particularly when the original plan was to let Cork go it alone.

Anyway, back to topics related to Cork Airport, I'm happy to say I'll be using some of the new city routes for leisure trips this year. Would love to see more of these.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Southampton dropped from May

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Aer-Lingus-to-drop-their-Cork-to-Southampton-route-08d44af6-17e8-4295-a3fd-401043d240e4-ds

Of the 5x weekly Southampton rotations, 4 appear to be going to additional Birmingham flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Shn99 wrote: »
    The exact same could’ve been said about cork back in 2015. Ill never understand why people bicker about Shannon so much in this thread. Jealousy over TATL services? Who knows.. Its a Cork Airport thread..You dont see people bickering about Cork Airport every week in the Shannon thread.
    Well the bickering is caused by annoying posts that claim Shannon hasn't been subsidised by the state. You're right it is a Cork Airport thread and I don't see posters from Cork going onto the Shannon thread making statements about the Airport that are annoying or incorrect in the same frequency that happens in this thread. Hence the frequent dragging up of the same arguments time and time again.
    It's time to drop the line that no subsidy was received by Shannon and then we won't need to correct that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

So decided to go last minute on a holiday to the house in Alicante.

No flights from Cork ATM.

Dublin was 161euro for the week of 10th-15th of March

Shannon was 81euro.

So here I am more off to Shannon for the first time ever. If there was a flight from Cork for under 180 I'd have paid that happily.

Realistically, flights to Alicante in February aren't particularly a top priority. While it does perhaps minorly inconvenience you, I don't particularly see it as a problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Flying Cork Lisbon next week on business.

Its a trip I normally do from Dublin every 6 weeks and the flights are always delayed, hoping that the Cork route may not suffer due to less traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Ryanair are supposedly announcing 2 "new" routes from Cork today. No word yet on what they are.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/ryanair-to-unveil-12-new-irish-routes-including-two-from-cork-907127.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ryanair are supposedly announcing 2 "new" routes from Cork today. No word yet on what they are.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/ryanair-to-unveil-12-new-irish-routes-including-two-from-cork-907127.html

DUb-MXP and NOC-TFS

Cork gets ALC, BUD, MLA, PZN extended year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    DUb-MXP and NOC-TFS

Edinburgh listed on the booking list too.

edit: actually, might just be for a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    DUb-MXP and NOC-TFS

So there aren't actually any new routes from Cork? Still great to see Budapest extended. I'm surprised to see Malta go year round...

I got a mail from the Cork chamber in work to fill out a survey from Cork airport on new routes I'd like to see for business travel. Seemed to be a heavy focus on a return of the Dublin route in questioning. Rome, New York and Boston were all directly mentioned in questions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Malta would be a good winter sun destination in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

snotboogie wrote: »
    So there aren't actually any new routes from Cork? Still great to see Budapest extended. I'm surprised to see Malta go year round...

I got a mail from the Cork chamber in work to fill out a survey from Cork airport on new routes I'd like to see for business travel. Seemed to be a heavy focus on a return of the Dublin route in questioning. Rome, New York and Boston were all directly mentioned in questions too.
    Well the article said Ryanair to unveil 12 new Irish routes, including two from Cork and also the manager for the airport posted on linkedin a few weeks back also saying new routes for Cork airport..

Just the extension of summer routes as per Ryanair Corporate website. No new routes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Just the extension of summer routes as per Ryanair Corporate website. No new routes

Isn't Poznan a new route? Don't think that's been available for a few years, at least.

.red. wrote: »
    Isn't Poznan a new route? Don't think that's been available for a few years, at least.

Yeah but it’s beginning in the summer, hence why I said extension of summer routes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭vetinari

I'm presuming that Norwegian will suspend Cork flights again this winter? Does anyone know if they made an announcement re that?

vetinari wrote: »
    I'm presuming that Norwegian will suspend Cork flights again this winter? Does anyone know if they made an announcement re that?

The route is summer seasonal, will be finishing around the end of October for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The route is summer seasonal, will be finishing around the end of October for the winter.

That's a real shame.

I know it's been said a million times, but I'd love to see a regular year round route such as JetBlue to NYC and then plenty of onward connections. Their business class options would appeal to many I'm sure also.

Turkish Airlines would also be a fantastic asset.

With the amount of companies basing themselves in Cork (and many looking at getting out of the UK) you'd think there'd be a fair demand for these type of services in the near future.

That's a real shame.

I know it's been said a million times, but I'd love to see a regular year round route such as JetBlue to NYC and then plenty of onward connections. Their business class options would appeal to many I'm sure also.

Turkish Airlines would also be a fantastic asset.

With the amount of companies basing themselves in Cork (and many looking at getting out of the UK) you'd think there'd be a fair demand for these type of services in the near future.
    Given the relative success of the Norwegian route with poor timings, no onward connections on the US side, no business class and regional airport on the US side; you'd imagine there would be a potential market for a full service US service with connections on the American side (JFK/Newark/Boston). If Shannon can manage a year round TATL service to JFK (and to Boston from next winter also), and can also manage Newark, Philadelphia, JFK with Delta, Toronto and 2 Norwegian services during the summer you'd imagine there'd be a market for TATL from Cork now that there are aircraft types on the scene that can manage it from Cork's runway, and Cork having a bigger market + more pax numbers from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

There are reports that jetBlue will commence Flights from US to Heathrow with their new A321 Neo's.
    There was talk previously of them operating a route from Cork to US so here is hoping.
    I would certainly not be holding my breath for Aer Lingus anyway.

kub wrote: »
    There are reports that jetBlue will commence Flights from US to Heathrow with their new A321 Neo's.
    There was talk previously of them operating a route from Cork to US so here is hoping.
    I would certainly not be holding my breath for Aer Lingus anyway.

Will be years away even before/if comes to fruition. Transatlantic is a brand new venture for JetBlue, reports and internal leaks are hinting at LHR and AMS as the first routes, which makes sense as there’s a large and established market. If those routes are successful they will likely expand to more “main” airports, then possibly airports such as EDI, LYS ect. Unfortunately Cork will probably be a long way down the pecking order as there is there hardly an established market (3x weekly seasonal service to Rhode Island, which has already been cut in the winter)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I saw on PROC that the fact JetBlue have switched their A321 order from Neo to LR is bad for Cork. The Neo would have struggled to make it to the big Central European markets and would have been limited to the UK and Ireland, giving Cork a much better chance of being onboarded. Though I’m not sure if the short runway would have scuppered that idea anyway?

I wonder what this means for Aerlingus connections in the US? Will JetBlue continue to codeshare if they go for the European market?

snotboogie wrote: »
    I saw on PROC that the fact JetBlue have switched their A321 order from Neo to LR is bad for Cork. The Neo would have struggled to make it to the big Central European markets and would have been limited to the UK and Ireland, giving Cork a much better chance of being onboarded. Though I’m not sure if the short runway would have scuppered that idea anyway?

I wonder what this means for Aerlingus connections in the US? Will JetBlue continue to codeshare if they go for the European market?

I think UA still codeshare with EI on the same routes ex DUB?

A bigger question for JetBlue/Aer Lingus is will Aer Lingus align with American if they join the EI/AA/BA/AY/IB joint venture

• Advertisement

Advertisement