Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Dbu

marno21 wrote: »

As much as I would love to see this happen, realistically the chances of this would be extremely low, so why would they keep spinning this story year after year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Dbu wrote: »
    As much as I would love to see this happen, realistically the chances of this would be extremely low, so why would they keep spinning this story year after year?

Niall MacCarthy isn't bombastic in his projections. He was calling the current growth back in 2015 at a time when there were serious discussions in the national media about actually closing the airport. While the New York flights with Norwegian didn't happen, they were obviously pretty close to getting them done, it's not like he was plucking the idea from thin air and I doubt he is now either. I'd imagine he is spinning this because it is a serious goal and he wants more involvement from the business community. Said community never really got behind the Providence flights.

It's good to see Rome and Berlin get a call out too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are 2 airports outside of Dublin in Ireland with 1m+ passengers annually. The smaller of these airports has 8 transatlantic routes in summer and has managed 2 year round for the last few years

The idea that Cork could manage a route to New York doesn't seem that unrealistic to me based on that, especially taking into account the amount of US companies in Cork and the size of the market

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

marno21 wrote: »

A more accurate headline would be ''cork Airport boss would really love to have flights to New York''.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You're forgetting that Shannon is not Cork. Cork is not Shannon. They have very different markets for such a short distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

737 MAX has been banned from Irish airspace after the recent crashes.
    Norwegian could be gone before they even start back up.
    Hopefully they have a few of the 737-800s lying around to cover the route, even if they are severely handicapped having almost 50 empty seats due to weight restrictions.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0312/1035823-ethiopian-airlines-crash/

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Safety is number 1 priority but hopefully its straightened out soon.

Ryanair adding Katowice, twice weekly

Cork Airport’s Strong Growth Continues As Ryanair Announces New Katowice Route

10% growth in Feb mentioned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

snotboogie wrote: »
    Ryanair adding Katowice, twice weekly

Cork Airport’s Strong Growth Continues As Ryanair Announces New Katowice Route

10% growth in Feb mentioned too.

Brilliant! The polish routes really are growing with Ryanair, must be successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Brilliant! The polish routes really are growing with Ryanair, must be successful.

Brilliant? How so who does the research for these routes? Some minor city in Poland so some of the Polish can go home for their holidays. I mean come on Rome off the top of my head would be a Brilliant route not Katowice i'm buggered if i want to go there. New route fine will i use it or most other Cork people who are not Polish like hell they will. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Brilliant? How so who does the research for these routes? Some minor city in Poland so some of the Polish can go home for their holidays. I mean come on Rome off the top of my head would be a Brilliant route not Katowice i'm buggered if i want to go there. New route fine will i use it or most other Cork people who are not Polish like hell they will. :rolleyes:

Ryanair must think there is demand for it or they want to try it. Never know. Either way its something new for Cork. There is a reason they aren't putting Rome back yet, they must think its unprofitable?

So yes, its brilliant. More flights from Cork the better. Even if it fails, they will know. Swiss wasn't expected to ever be successful from Cork yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I was up there recently when a Polish flight was coming through and the place was jointed. The more the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Will be operated by newly rebranded Buzz, formerly Ryanair Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Shn99 wrote: »
    Will be operated by newly rebranded Buzz, formerly Ryanair Sun.

Interesting looking thing.

buzz-1024x536.jpg

Wouldn't mind if they extended LaudaMotion to Cork as well.
    Vienna is fantastic as a destination and also for cheap connecting flights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Interesting looking thing.

buzz-1024x536.jpg

Wouldn't mind if they extended LaudaMotion to Cork as well.
    Vienna is fantastic as a destination and also for cheap connecting flights

That would be class.

Sky Europe had a Bratislava flight about 11 years back that I used a couple of times. Two closest capital cities in Europe, both quite different, a bit east meets west but there was ZERO marketing for it and it didn't last too long. A real shame it was. Thankfully things have changed on the marketing front for flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Ryanair will not operate the Cork to Faro service next winter like it did this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Ryanair will not operate the Cork to Faro service next winter like it did this winter.

That's pretty surprising - I would have thought it would be busy, even that time of year. I did it in February and plane seemed pretty full both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

There should be a connection to Prague from Cork. Just sayin... I think there was an attempt from ČSA few years ago, but they cancelled the flights and refunded everyone (due to lack of interest I presume).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

The Boeing 737MAX8 will be grounded until at least may according to the US Federal Aviation Administration, no word on what’s happening to flights from Cork as of yet however they have been taken off sale up until the 1st of May and currently €649 one for the rest of the season(to discourage bookings). In Dublin flights are being operated to SWF on a 787, with PVD pax on it and getting bussed to PVD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Great to have Katowice. Nice little city, was there a few months back.

Also only an hour from Krakow by bus or train!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Great to have Katowice. Nice little city, was there a few months back.

Also only an hour from Krakow by bus or train!!

That's hilarious to hear Katowice is little city in context of flights from Cork...

While Katowice itself has around 300k inhabitants, the Katowice urban area is 2.7M with density of 1,146.82/km2. It's roughly same size as Warsaw or Brussels urban areas... :D

grogi wrote: »
    That's hilarious to hear Katowice is little city in context of flights from Cork...

While Katowice itself has around 300k inhabitants, the Katowice urban area is 2.7M with density of 1,146.82/km2. It's roughly same size as Warsaw or Brussels urban areas... :D

Hahaha I suppose I only explored the inner city! Fairly big in comparison to us though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

IngazZagni wrote: »

That's surprising, our flights in November were packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Diabhalta wrote: »
    There should be a connection to Prague from Cork. Just sayin... I think there was an attempt from ČSA few years ago, but they cancelled the flights and refunded everyone (due to lack of interest I presume).

CSA had a plane based in Cork for a couple of years. Was great as ORK - PRG was its first flight of the day, and PRG - ORK its last - so you got the bones of a full day in Prague at either end. I know we've plenty of Poles here, but surely there must be demand for a Prague route given there's now four Polish routes, and Budapest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Good News that Malta, Budapest and Poznan would seem to be working out so well in advance bookings.

https://www.fft.ie/four-new-winter-routes-for-cork-airport/25450

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

That's surprising, our flights in November were packed.

We flew Cork to Faro late Oct 2017 and it was full both ways. I presume they may see an impact on the extra seats shannon to faro and now Cork have Malta as an alternative winter sun destination.
    Im not surprised with the extra services to Poland. If you think of it many that came and settled here over 10 years ago will have families now and would be a lot of travel between both for family events etc

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what terminal does the Aer Lingus flight to CDG Paris normally land at please?

Thanks.

Meursault wrote: »
    Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what terminal does the Aer Lingus flight to CDG Paris normally land at please?

Thanks.

Aer Lingus use T1 at CDG. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Aer Lingus use T1 at CDG. :)

Great stuff, thanks again!

• Advertisement

The authority also hopes to provide a more frequent service to the Carrigaline area from the summer and additional services to Cork Airport are planned in the months ahead.

Success of 24-hour Cork route proves demand is there

It would be interesting to see if they could run another route out to the Airport, possibly the 206?

Advertisement