Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

snotboogie wrote: »
    Success of 24-hour Cork route proves demand is there

It would be interesting to see if they could run another route out to the Airport, possibly the 206?

That's the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Just after snagging a return flight from Cork to JFK for €250 return, checked bag and meals included. Some great deals with them! The Aer Lingus flights to LHR alone are like €200 return!! Definitely worth keeping an eye out for them if heading to US.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Just after snagging a return flight from Cork to JFK for €250 return, checked bag and meals included. Some great deals with them! The Aer Lingus flights to LHR alone are like €200 return!! Definitely worth keeping an eye out for them if heading to US.
    That's outrageous. Aer Lingus and Virgin Atlantic ?

marno21 wrote: »
    That's outrageous. Aer Lingus and Virgin Atlantic ?

Yeah - Aer Lingus to MAN and Virgin to JFK, and JFK to LHR - ORK coming back.

Loads of dates available, search on the comparison sites like Skyscanner. Free seat selection and all. The price of booking direct with Virgin is £500+ and that's just from the UK! Insane value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Same happened for me for Hong Kong was cheaper to go from Cork via London then go direct from Dublin?.

Considering when you add the air couch, Dublin Airport and so on to the trip the travel times are the same.

So I just don't understand why people don't use Cork Airport and sky scanner more?.

Ps in regards to new York my mum and dad got lost min flights to JFK with BA via Cork for like 300 euros return air lingus via dublin was twice that!!!

• Advertisement

I know, some fantastic deals from Cork! Dublin was actually at least €100 more with the same airlines!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Just grabbed return flights with ryanair to alicante for a week beginning of may for €53 return.

I actually though it was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Those price can't be correct. Everyone knows Cork airport is at least double the price to anywhere when compared to the magical Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

How are people finding these deals? I imagine some flexibility is required, and perhaps time for searching?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I disagree, often cheaper with ryanair.

I'm sure red was being sarcastic :p

To be honest, you can find deals to New York and other US cities all year round. Virgin especially have some excellent deals and connections via LHR and MAN.

Use Skyscanner to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I remember a few years ago got a very good deal Cork to Abu Dhabi via London on sky scanner with British Airways . One thing about skyscanner though it can work against you. It quoted me a ridiculous price Montrel to Cork via London got it way cheaper directly from the airlines. It's a matter of sitting down and taking time to research your options. Last year I saw good deals from Cork for long haul if you used Zurich as a onward hub
    It's a pity such good deals aren't advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Mushy wrote: »
    How are people finding these deals? I imagine some flexibility is required, and perhaps time for searching?

Yeah skyscanner and then play around with the dates.

I’ve found myself saving 40% on return flights just by flying a day early or later.

Sky scanner is great for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cheers for replies, assumed it was playing around with dates and flexibility alright. Now...to scrap my plans for the weekend

I remember a few years ago got a very good deal Cork to Abu Dhabi via London on sky scanner with British Airways . One thing about skyscanner though it can work against you. It quoted me a ridiculous price Montrel to Cork via London got it way cheaper directly from the airlines. It's a matter of sitting down and taking time to research your options. Last year I saw good deals from Cork for long haul if you used Zurich as a onward hub
    It's a pity such good deals aren't advertised

Absolutely. Always cross check across a good few websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Google Flights will give less false prices - much prefer it over Skyscanner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Google Flights will give less false prices - much prefer it over Skyscanner

It doesn't refer you to any dubious OTAs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Despite the issues with 737Max which Norwegian used to operate to Providence, it seems they will be operating their summer service in a few weeks.

https://amp.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/norwegian-airlines-to-resume-transatlantic-flights-as-jets-brought-in-to-replace-grounded-boeing-737-max-8-37947978.html

kub wrote: »
    Despite the issues with 737Max which Norwegian used to operate to Providence, it seems they will be operating their summer service in a few weeks.

https://amp.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/norwegian-airlines-to-resume-transatlantic-flights-as-jets-brought-in-to-replace-grounded-boeing-737-max-8-37947978.html

I've a feeling Norwegian are gonna pull out. Pretty much every flight for the summer is starting at €1300 return. Nobody is gonna book that and they will say their pulling out because of low bookings. Aer Lingus from Dublin direct into Boston can be gotten for less than €600.
    I really hope I'm wrong and the prices come back down if/when the maxx gets sorted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

.red. wrote: »
    I've a feeling Norwegian are gonna pull out. Pretty much every flight for the summer is starting at €1300 return. Nobody is gonna book that and they will say their pulling out because of low bookings. Aer Lingus from Dublin direct into Boston can be gotten for less than €600.
    I really hope I'm wrong and the prices come back down if/when the maxx gets sorted.
    They're 1300 to discourage bookings due to the mess with the 737 MAX 8. It's a Norwegian problem not a Cork problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    They're 1300 to discourage bookings due to the mess with the 737 MAX 8. It's a Norwegian problem not a Cork problem

Ya, but by discouraging people the flight is empty, and gives Norwegian a great excuse to cancel the route. Then it becomes a Cork problem.

Ya, but by discouraging people the flight is empty, and gives Norwegian a great excuse to cancel the route. Then it becomes a Cork problem.
    Cork Airport are already likely chasing other transatlantic airlines given Norwegian's uncertain future anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

revelman wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything about Aer Lingus Cork to Newcastle? I've just tried booking something for November and it is not available to book. I did see the PAX numbers had dropped earlier on the route earlier this year.
    Shn99 wrote: »
    Not operating after 29th of September, unclear if itll return next year

Any update on the Newcastle route? Didn't see any media that is was being cancelled & it's not in the summer schedule, so presume it's not coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I'm sorry but that logic makes no sense. A private company would hardly kill its profits to prove a point. If they want to pull they'll just pull the flight - simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Not opening that can of worms, but I fear .red. might have a point. It's a huge political nest of hornets & it was widely thought that Cork was only used to ease Norwegian's way into Dublin. If they just pulled then the political backlash would be huge.

However, planned winter flights were cancelled because of low bookings and with their €94m loss last year and the 737MAX issue, it would give them an easy excuse to kill off Cork, of course not because they were never fully committed :rolleyes:, but because of the financials - 'we tried everything we could but it just wasn't commercially viable'.

I really hope I'm wrong but I don't get much confidence from their statements to be honest and I'd be very surprised to see the route open again.

I'm sorry but that logic makes no sense. A private company would hardly kill its profits to prove a point. If they want to pull they'll just pull the flight - simple as that.

The political backlash would be huge if they just pulled cos they wanted to.
    If the stories are true then the first few weeks have very low bookings and they were never that great last summer either. By time you pay for 15/16 ton of fuel the profits aren't gonna be much, that's before you pay for crew and maintenance, the aircraft was also sitting on the tarmac in cork for 7/8 hours making no money. It was actually costing money cos of the security needed on the ground due to it going to the states.
    Hiking up the price to €1300 return just ensures they keep the bookings low, which is the complete opposite of why they use the max over the NG in the first place. Fair enough that's probably partly due to the max going out of service but I'd be shocked if they were going to make much money from the ORK-PVD route anyway. That flight should have been jam packed all last year, and it rarely was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The political backlash would be huge if they just pulled cos they wanted to.
    If the stories are true then the first few weeks have very low bookings and they were never that great last summer either. By time you pay for 15/16 ton of fuel the profits aren't gonna be much, that's before you pay for crew and maintenance, the aircraft was also sitting on the tarmac in cork for 7/8 hours making no money. It was actually costing money cos of the security needed on the ground due to it going to the states.
    Hiking up the price to €1300 return just ensures they keep the bookings low, which is the complete opposite of why they use the max over the NG in the first place. Fair enough that's probably partly due to the max going out of service but I'd be shocked if they were going to make much money from the ORK-PVD route anyway. That flight should have been jam packed all last year, and it rarely was.

Political backlash lol. Norwegian have far more pressing concerns than Irish politicians. The bookings were very good over the summer and were exceptionally strong for the last two months. Cork flights survived through a lot of difficulty for Norwegian. Ultimately these flights won't last in the long term, not because of poor demand in Cork but because Norwegians model isn't working. Clearly the goal of the airport is to leverage the success of the route to get a more sustainable, higher frequency East Coast destination with connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Some figures from CSO 2018 route statistics

Cork–Zürich passenger numbers increased by 105% (2017–2018)
    Cork–Paris CDG passenger numbers increased by 35% (2017–2018)

Approximate load factors for Norwegian to Providence

April 2018: 62%
    May 2018: 66%
    June 2018: 71%
    July 2018: 67%
    August 2018: 74%
    September 2018: 66%
    October 2018: 65%

Approximate load factors for SWISS to Zürich (rough figures as I had to take the average number of seats between the CS100 and CS300)

May 2018: 69%
    June 2018: 77%
    July 2018: 91%
    August 2018: 85%
    September 2018: 78%
    October 2018: 74%

• Advertisement

Excellent loads on Swiss especially, who reckons they might go year-round soon?

Advertisement