Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If Norwegian can get those loads on a single class 737 with no US connections that arrives into a regional airport in Rhode Island at 7 in the evening I see little doubt that there's scope for a proper full service transatlantic link with a range of US side connections.

Impressive by both Norwegian and Swiss. Swiss route a real winner in recent years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0403/1040395-flybe-flight-cancellations/

Flybe to close its Cardiff base. Presumably the end of that route out of Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

marno21 wrote: »

Damn. Not good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Will fly until the end of the summer season, then its gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

If Norwegian can get those loads on a single class 737 with no US connections that arrives into a regional airport in Rhode Island at 7 in the evening I see little doubt that there's scope for a proper full service transatlantic link with a range of US side connections.

Really? I would have said those are poor loads on a 737. If you're only filling 67% of a 737 in July on your only transatlantic route that would suggest that transatlantic doesn't appear to be viable from Cork (unpopular opinion I know).

• Advertisement

Really? I would have said those are poor loads on a 737. If you're only filling 67% of a 737 in July on your only transatlantic route that would suggest that transatlantic doesn't appear to be viable from Cork (unpopular opinion I know).

Not sure its as a simple an equation as that, I would find transatlantic from Cork very appealing, I just don't find that particular route appealing.

If they had a route to a better airport, Logan or JFK, La Guardia, Newark then I'd definitely use the route.

A mate has just had a reply from Norwegian on a mid April booking basically saying they can't guarantee where it will fly from. After today's news it looks like the 737 Max is a good way away from flying again and seemingly the 737 extended tank is so much in demand now that they are as rare as hens teeth. Unless they can get an Airbus, It looks like Dublin for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

The route has been taken off sale until July, with prices still at €649 from there on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Not shocked was on this flight last week 20 people on it no joke no wonder loading money.

Then had issues with my carry on bag saying it was to big but fits Ryan Air no issues!!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/norwegian-to-reroute-cork-passengers-via-dublin-915572.html

Cork/Shannon re-routed via Dublin until the end of June now.

Passengers now advised to keep their receipts for alternative transport...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭vetinari

Hopefully the flights will eventually come back.
    The pricing for July is concerning though.
    Loads for the route will be way down.
    We were on the April 2nd flight from Dublin to Providence. The plane was less that half full.
    That was a combination of the Cork and Dublin flights.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/wandrme/status/1116088793080184832

6 potential routes from 13 plane orders

Can we dare to dream ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

That range is a lot shorter than I expected. I thought the A321LR could fly to Germany/Italy/Scandinavia from New York? In the long term it seems possible...
    Excluding that list but within range; Edinburgh, Belfast, Porto, Manchester, Birmingham, Oslo, Glasgow and Bilbao would all be unquestionably more attractive than Cork. Then you'd also be fighting it out with the likes of the East Midlands, Shannon, Faro and about 20 others making a similar case to Cork. Tough sell

snotboogie wrote: »
    That range is a lot shorter than I expected. I thought the A321LR could fly to Germany/Italy/Scandinavia from New York? In the long term it seems possible...
    Excluding that list but within range; Edinburgh, Belfast, Porto, Manchester, Birmingham, Oslo, Glasgow and Bilbao would all be unquestionably more attractive than Cork. Then you'd also be fighting it out with the likes of the East Midlands, Shannon, Faro and about 20 others making a similar case to Cork. Tough sell

I'm assuming they are being both conservative in terms of range and also in relation to year round range with headwinds taken into account. That said, JetBlue are more likely than not to go premium heavy on these routes which is more surprising.

Presumably London/Paris/Madrid/Lisbon/Amsterdam/Dublin will take a few years to come to fruition. However, I would think Cork would be a market JetBlue might consider. They have no competition, a good US network of connections, and Cork is home to many US based companies, along with the large south of Ireland population on the east coast of the States.

I don't think Birmingham (with no non TUI TATL routes) or East Midlands will be high priorities for JetBlue. Shannon is already packed out during the summer so would be fighting lots of competition. Belfast also has no route since United dropped Newark and Norwegian pulled out which isn't a good sign there. Faro seems more of a leisure destination to me.

I'm assuming they are being both conservative in terms of range and also in relation to year round range with headwinds taken into account. That said, JetBlue are more likely than not to go premium heavy on these routes which is more surprising.

Presumably London/Paris/Madrid/Lisbon/Amsterdam/Dublin will take a few years to come to fruition. However, I would think Cork would be a market JetBlue might consider. They have no competition, a good US network of connections, and Cork is home to many US based companies, along with the large south of Ireland population on the east coast of the States.

I don't think Birmingham (with no non TUI TATL routes) or East Midlands will be high priorities for JetBlue. Shannon is already packed out during the summer so would be fighting lots of competition. Belfast also has no route since United dropped Newark and Norwegian pulled out which isn't a good sign there. Faro seems more of a leisure destination to me.

Ya and the statements that came out from Belfast International after the TATL routes were dropped wouldn't exactly encourage more investment... Still it'll quite the fight for Cork to get anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think you're a little too optimistic here Marno, however we shall see.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Ya and the statements that came out from Belfast International after the TATL routes were dropped wouldn't exactly encourage more investment... Still it'll quite the fight for Cork to get anything.

Another factor here is the outcome of Brexit and the position of Northern Ireland post Brexit (if it even happens) will determine the economic potential of Belfast over the next number of years.
    JCX BXC wrote: »
    I think you're a little too optimistic here Marno, however we shall see.

I think I might be too, but we may as well be optimistic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

This plane came in low over the western road yesterday landing gear down - I looked it up on flightradar as it was a Jet2 flight and I was curious as to its origin - thinking it might be a charter - anyway it went past the airport turned west and went out over the sea off the Kerry coast for a while and then doubled back..........

I didn't follow it then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

kooga wrote: »
    This plane came in low over the western road yesterday landing gear down - I looked it up on flightradar as it was a Jet2 flight and I was curious as to its origin - thinking it might be a charter - anyway it went past the airport turned west and went out over the sea off the Kerry coast for a while and then doubled back..........

I didn't follow it then
    It was a training flight. It came down to about 100ft over the runway and pulled up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Saw it coming in aswell from Lasham airport in England which I had to Google because I didn't know where it bloody was lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Norwegian won't be landing in Cork this year. Any flights booked before the end of the summer will be departing from Dublin with travel expenses paid for Cork-Dublin return. Doubt we'll ever see them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I would be inclined to agree, I think they're finished with Cork, not even convinced they'll return to Shannon either. The MAX issues are a handy excuse as much as anything. Low cost transatlantic generally doesn't work from major international hubs, let alone regional airports in Ireland.

Regional Irish airports seem to be obsessed with securing transatlantic flights but I don't really understand the fuss to be honest. The USA is only one of many international markets Ireland deals with now. The key to success for an airport like Cork is to have the greatest number of links possible to major European and maybe even Middle East hub airports. I wouldn't be surprised if transatlantic flights from Ireland operate from Dublin only within 10 years.

I'd still love to see the likes of Turkish service Cork. Especially now with IST's brand new massive airport, I think they'll be looking to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I would be inclined to agree, I think they're finished with Cork, not even convinced they'll return to Shannon either. The MAX issues are a handy excuse as much as anything. Low cost transatlantic generally doesn't work from major international hubs, let alone regional airports in Ireland.

Regional Irish airports seem to be obsessed with securing transatlantic flights but I don't really understand the fuss to be honest. The USA is only one of many international markets Ireland deals with now. The key to success for an airport like Cork is to have the greatest number of links possible to major European and maybe even Middle East hub airports. I wouldn't be surprised if transatlantic flights from Ireland operate from Dublin only within 10 years.

I’ve said it all over this thread. Get an M20 and then the point is moot. Develop Shannon for transatlantic. I must have done 20 transatlantics and even more European connections in my last job, via LHR, and when Heathrow were bussing to flight connections from the back of the plane in T1 it was plain to see that 30-40% of the plane were connecting to other routes, but no single destination.

It’s a vanity project to have a single JFK flight when you’re talking about a relatively small number of business travelers going out Sunday/Monday, and going to many more North American destinations.

As Cork grows it needs:
    - M20 to make Shannon reachable reliably well under 90 mins
    - Morning and night time flight connections to Dublin’s network
    - Connections to more European hubs and capitals.

It does not need a long runway and a bun fight with Shannon. Ireland needs an Atlantic corridor and Shannon is ideally set up already to handle an increase in long distance business flights from 3 growing cities with multinational footprints. Cohesion not competition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭vetinari

I think Norwegian might be back next year. A lot is dependent on the health of the company.
    No matter how well the Cork route was doing, the 737 MAX grounding would have caused the route to be dropped for the summer.

MrDerp wrote: »
    I’ve said it all over this thread. Get an M20 and then the point is moot. Develop Shannon for transatlantic. I must have done 20 transatlantics and even more European connections in my last job, via LHR, and when Heathrow were bussing to flight connections from the back of the plane in T1 it was plain to see that 30-40% of the plane were connecting to other routes, but no single destination.

It’s a vanity project to have a single JFK flight when you’re talking about a relatively small number of business travelers going out Sunday/Monday, and going to many more North American destinations.

As Cork grows it needs:
    - M20 to make Shannon reachable reliably well under 90 mins
    - Morning and night time flight connections to Dublin’s network
    - Connections to more European hubs and capitals.

It does not need a long runway and a bun fight with Shannon. Ireland needs an Atlantic corridor and Shannon is ideally set up already to handle an increase in long distance business flights from 3 growing cities with multinational footprints. Cohesion not competition

So Cork Airports plan should be to wait 10 years, at best, for a road that might get built if there is no recession, so they can bus traffic away from an airport under the same ownership to another airport they have nothing to do with? They should also ignore the favorable technological advances coming on board now that allow TATL flights without a runway extension because they should buy into an “Atlantic corridor”?

I still don't get people's issues with transferring in Heathrow for us flights?.

I covered this a few pages back you can nearly get cheaper flights via Cork then flying via Dublin and Cork Airport to me is the best airport to be flying out of in Ireland give me it any day of the week over Dublin Airport!!.

I fly about 10 times a year and nearly all out of Cork Airport and I have not a bad word to say about the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

There are "friends" of mine who would rather walk to Dublin than get a flight from Cork. They are still giving out about the last time they used it. I'm actually getting to the stage when I am happy to hear they are using Dublin so I won't have to listen to them.

It's crazy like.

My mother and father used to all ways use Dublin for going to the US as they are based in tipp.

Last year I booked them flights from Cork via London and since then they now refuse to go to Dublin and love flying from Cork.

Car park is cheaper, it takes 5 mins from dropping your bags to your sitting down haveing a coffee.

And now when my dad asks me to book him flights he is like book via Cork as its so much better it might be a extra flight but it nearly takes a long to travel to Dublin for the sake of a extra flight!!!.

I despise those that don't even check Cork flights, instead just booking straight away from Dublin. Its such a waste of time going up and back. The worst part is the journey on the bus back after coming home from your holiday. It's so much better arriving home to Cork Airport and being at home in no time.

• Advertisement

Nice to see passenger numbers up by 11% for the first quarter this year through Cork

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/busy-weekend-for-cork-airport-as-figures-show-11-rise-in-passengers-918338.html

Advertisement