Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

PSO route from Cork to Dublin please, a few ATRs perhaps, so that Cork can tap into Dublins connecting market.

There is a motorway so the days of a PSO route are gone.

There are enough coaches going to Dublin as things are, sur with your train of thought let's just shut Cork airport and have shuttle buses going from Patrick's Quay to Dublin airport.
    Dublin is not busy enough as things are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A Cork-Dublin route on an ATR would have merit imo. Plenty of city pairs around Europe with similar routes in operation purely for connections. With EI’s growing transatlantic operation it’s becoming even more viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

kub wrote: »
    There is a motorway so the days of a PSO route are gone.

There's plenty of very short flights I can think of between cities that are connected by motorways. Nuremberg to Frankfurt, Nuremberg to Munich, Zurich to Geneva, Frankfurt to Dusseldorf, Frankfurt to Luxembourg, Vienna to Salzburg, Florence to Rome, Lisbon to Faro.

All of which are connection focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

So much less stressful and quicker to just get the aircoach straight to the front door of Dublin Airport than getting to Cork at least an hour before a flight to check in bags, get through security, wait around to board and then the flight itself.

VG31 wrote: »
    There's plenty of very short flights I can think of between cities that are connected by motorways. Nuremberg to Frankfurt, Nuremberg to Munich, Zurich to Geneva, Frankfurt to Dusseldorf, Frankfurt to Luxembourg, Vienna to Salzburg, Florence to Rome, Lisbon to Faro.

All of which are connection focused.

The poster I was responding to mentioned a PSO route, basically a route provided and payed for by the tax payer if the infrastructure between 2 places ( like Farranfore to Dublin) was not great, then it would qualify as a PSO route
    You are correct with the point you made, of course private entities are going to step in if an opportunity arises for good business.
    But that may not be the case here as you are supposed to be at the airport 2 hours before a flight takes off.
    If this was a point to point flight to Dublin, then I can see limited appeal, except perhaps for long haul connections, but for a guy going up there for business, he would be up by Naas in his own car before that Dublin flight in Cork even boarded.
    Time and flexibility in business are important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Do you really need to arrive two hours in advance at a small airport like Cork? I usually arrive at Dublin Airport 1–1.5 hours in advance if I don't have any checked luggage.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Acosta wrote: »
    So much less stressful and quicker to just get the aircoach straight to the front door of Dublin Airport than getting to Cork at least an hour before a flight to check in bags, get through security, wait around to board and then the flight itself.

Can't say I'd agree. I used the Cork to Dublin route a fair bit when I worked in Dublin before the motorway opened and the advent of cheap buses. It was way cheaper than the train if you booked in advance. The train was €70 return and you could get return Ryanair fares to Dublin for €30/€40. The flight was 25 minutes and I'd get the 747 into town after. You could use the express security lanes as well at no extra cost if you were on a domestic flight. I was often at my desk in Dublin on Monday morning before 9 am after leaving Cork earlier that morning. I think the flight was around 7:15 am. It was a pleasure compared to getting the 5.30 am train at the time....or any other transport option available at that time pre motorway. I know all I said relates to a time pre motorway but I'd be very tempted to use the service again if they brought it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Can't say I'd agree. I used the Cork to Dublin route a fair bit when I worked in Dublin before the motorway opened and the advent of cheap buses. It was way cheaper than the train if you booked in advance. The train was €70 return and you could get return Ryanair fares to Dublin for €30/€40. The flight was 25 minutes and I'd get the 747 into town after. You could use the express security lanes as well at no extra cost if you were on a domestic flight. I was often at my desk in Dublin on Monday morning before 9 am after leaving Cork earlier that morning. I think the flight was around 7:15 am. It was a pleasure compared to getting the 5.30 am train at the time....or any other transport option available at that time pre motorway. I know all I said relates to a time pre motorway but I'd be very tempted to use the service again if they brought it back.

aaahhh.... the good days!!!! Thats when Ryanair decided to run Aer Arann of the route and out of business. Good old MOL just dumped fares and aircraft til O'Ceidigh pull off cos it was bankrupting him!! And the bauld Mikey pulled his aircraft and left Cork with NO flight to Dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

The good old days indeed. That Dublin flight was handy for matches in crooke park too. Way cheeper than a train fair then after a match just walk across to Quinns jump on the No16 bus for the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I used it myself a few times before the motorway was finished and cheap direct buses came, with Aer Arann and Ryanair. Not much point in it now IMO. The last time I used it I remember getting delayed for 2 or 3 hours in Dublin waiting to go back to Cork thinking what the hell am I doing here!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Just back from the Croatia.

Direct flight from Cork to Dubrovnik. Full flight going out and back!! Really hope this route does well and sticks around!

Also reminded me of using Aer Lingus more often in future too - the average age on that flight must have been 60 and they were incredibly pro active in helping with bags etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Debub wrote: »

Tallinn was included in the shortlisted airports, and Cork still won? As much as I like Cork, Tallinn is miles ahead in terms of passenger experience. Library, comfortable seating areas, free sleeping pods etc...

Did the people who got stranded in Lisbon vet sorted yet?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Did the people who got stranded in Lisbon vet sorted yet?

EI1891 landed from Lisbon into Cork at 10:30. The passengers likely came on that flight

https://twitter.com/CorkAirport/status/1148909679927537666

I know it's peak season and all that but wonderful to see re Swiss. Would be absolutely unreal if they went year round on the A220.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'd be delighted if Zurich went year-round. Zurich is gold for connections, and its so easy to connect in Zurich. (ie: you just walk to the next plane having had your connecting gate number displayed on a monitor in the plane when you are on approach)

Zurich has good potential for a year round service esp with the winter holiday market and connections to long haul

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

hi folks, why is the AL Cork flight to Birmingham so expensive compared to the Dublin flight? Three of us are flying and we're now going from Dublin because the price difference is so significant. We're flying for €150 for the three of us, compared to €600 from Cork. Its so annoying. I live 50 minutes from Cork Airport, compared to 3 hours from Dublin but I couldn't justify €600 to just fly to Birmingham.... And this price difference is there all of the time, it isn't just the time I want to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

mmc2010 wrote: »
    hi folks, why is the AL Cork flight to Birmingham so expensive compared to the Dublin flight? Three of us are flying and we're now going from Dublin because the price difference is so significant. We're flying for €150 for the three of us, compared to €600 from Cork. Its so annoying. I live 50 minutes from Cork Airport, compared to 3 hours from Dublin but I couldn't justify €600 to just fly to Birmingham.... And this price difference is there all of the time, it isn't just the time I want to travel.

Basics there's no competition on the BHX route out of Cork. It's pretty full most flights too so people are paying the prices, 72 seats and probably average about 60 per flight and it's often overbooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

.red. wrote: »
    Basics there's no competition on the BHX route out of Cork. It's pretty full most flights too so people are paying the prices, 72 seats and probably average about 60 per flight and it's often overbooked.

That's the thing, 72 seats from Cork compared to DUB-BHX with several flights a day, where some of the flights are 72 seater but others are operated by the A320 with 174 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

Surprising that Ryanair aren't doing the Cork route too, especially when there seems to be the demand. I think they did fly before to B'ham from cork, didn't they? Its so frustrating. I'd be over and back alot more if the prices were reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Same story with the Cork-Manchester route....scandalously priced compared to Ryanair out of Dublin:mad::mad:

mmc2010 wrote: »
    jojofizzio wrote: »
    Same story with the Cork-Manchester route....scandalously priced compared to Ryanair out of Dublin:mad::mad:

I think it is as simple as supply and demand, AL have no direct competition on these routes so can make nice money, enough most of the time to deter people from travelling to Dublin.

jojofizzio wrote: »

FR have serious volume and competition out of Dublin. It's not surprising. The Cork-Liverpool route is reasonably priced which is a useful alternative.

I flew Cork-Manchester in June, out on Friday and back on Monday for €90 return. This was a particularly busy weekend also, for a very reasonable price. If the Ryanair flight from Dublin was €1 it wouldn't be worth savings both on time and transport costs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

marno21 wrote: »

I flew Cork-Manchester in June, out on Friday and back on Monday for €90 return. This was a particularly busy weekend also, for a very reasonable price. If the Ryanair flight from Dublin was €1 it wouldn't be worth savings both on time and transport costs

Some people can't see beyond price and don't factor in convenience tho. I know people who have travelled return to Dublin on air coaches cos the flights were €60 cheaper, that's 6 hour round trip on a bus to save less than €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Some people can't see beyond price and don't factor in convenience tho. I know people who have travelled return to Dublin on air coaches cos the flights were €60 cheaper, that's 6 hour round trip on a bus to save less than €40.

I did that once years ago by flying from Dub to JFK via Heathrow to save about 80 Irish pounds at the time. I'd say I spent most of that 6 hour layover buying overpriced dinner, drinks and pricey magazines (like Time and GQ - mags you'd never consider buying outside of an airport) to pass the time at LHR - this was pre internet access). I'd say whatever I thought I saved was negated and the cost of time totally wasted. Never again!!

(then again when you are on a shoe string budget as I would have been at the time - you will endure extra hours and inconveniences for cash savings).

I flew Cork-Manchester in June, out on Friday and back on Monday for €90 return. This was a particularly busy weekend also, for a very reasonable price. If the Ryanair flight from Dublin was €1 it wouldn't be worth savings both on time and transport costs[/QUOTE]

As a matter of interest,did you book it far in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Do Cork - Liverpool with Ryanair, then get the Liverpool - Manchester train if you want to save a few quid. Or hire a car in Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Do Cork - Liverpool with Ryanair, then get the Liverpool - Manchester train if you want to save a few quid. Or hire a car in Liverpool.

I do Cork Liverpool on a regular basis because of how reasonable it is compared with the Manchester flight...so just asking if the Manchester flight was booked far in advance coz I find most combinations of Thursday/Friday-Sunday in/out Manchester quite steep(even booking well in advance):)

Advertisement