Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Masala wrote: »
    I remember the Slattery's Travel attempt that bombed out a few weeks before tge first flight because of lack of bookings. Did WOW also pull its operations?? Norweigen already announced it was pulling from Cork way before tge full Irish withdrawal

..... if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck..

Except you are describing a swan and insisting that it's a duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

snotboogie wrote: »
    Wow are now defunct, their model was not sustainable out of anywhere. Also they flew to Iceland not to the US. Norwegian did not announce they were pulling from Cork before anywhere else, that's just completely made up.
    WOW flew to Iceland with a connection to the States.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

roundymac wrote: »
    WOW flew to Iceland with a connection to the States.
    Same as what you can do via LHR/CDG/AMS. Indeed Reykjavik is along the way but the airport there is quite expensive, and Wow themselves were a very poor airline with a poor reputation.

They also did not cater to business travellers which is the prime reason I believe that a US service out of Cork would be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

If I remember correctly the numbers during the peak summer season for Norwegian out of Cork were pretty good and the route was very profitable for the company partly due to the money they made with the inflight service.
    If an airline can make money on a route to what is basically the back arse of nowhere, somewhere most people, at least from the Cork side, will travel to only to go somewhere else once they get there, then it stands to reason that if another airline operated a JFK or Logan route then it would do very well. Also, the time of the flight to that airport wasn't great. Leaving Cork at 4.30 in the afternoon meant getting there in the evening and losing basically a whole day. No good for business passengers either.

Look at it this way, and I don't want to bang on about Shannon, which is a fine airport. But if the passenger numbers out of Cork are consistently higher every year than Shannon with no transatlantic flights then I think it's safe to say that a proper service to a major city in the US would be successful.

Better connections to Europe are needed also though. It's nuts there's currently no flight to Germany. Even in the dark days of the post ''boom'' years there was always a flight to Munich at least.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed, as the post above states, the Norwegian flight was reasonably successful and wasn't a total failure as some might point out.

Norwegian were operating 189 seat Boeing 737s, with the following issues:

Flight times were poor, arriving in Providence after 6pm
    No business class or even premium economy
    No connections on the US side
    No in flight entertainment
    US airport (PVD) was a regional airport

I would be willing to bet that a 737 MAX/Airbus A321neo with 12/16 business class seats, decent flight times, US side connections and the rest of the trimmings one of the US3/EI would have, it would be successful.

Flying into a East Coast hub (PHL/EWR/BOS/JFK), with onward connections to ORD/SFO/LAS/LAX/SAN/DFW/SEA etc would have a much bigger market than the DY service.

As the post above also states, Cork is Ireland's 2nd biggest airport and carried 36% more passengers than the third biggest airport in 2017, which is able to sustain 6 summer transatlantic routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Acosta wrote: »
    It's nuts there's currently no flight to Germany. Even in the dark days of the post ''boom'' years, there was always a flight to Munich at least.

There was a new route for a year to Dusseldorf and loads weren't great. I was surprised at that as I used it myself a few times, and was popular with the big German population in Cork.

So looks like they tried that but Aer Lingus transferred and tried Dubrovnik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

flexcon wrote: »
    There was a new route for a year to Dusseldorf and loads weren't great. I was surprised at that as I used it myself a few times, and was popular with the big German population in Cork.

Berlin was very high up the list of potential routes for Ryanair out of Cork before their current difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Norwegian profitability chart for routes ex Ireland. Makes for an interesting read

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

flexcon wrote: »

Considering Kerry airport has two routes to Germany (Frankfurt-Hahn and Berlin), it is surprising that Cork has none. I know there is a special affinity with Kerry for a large number of Germans but I'd have thought at least one route to a German city from Cork would be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Kerry airport will be a decent option for German flights once they get the N22 road done. Then you're talking about 90 minutes to Kerry airport.

• Advertisement

Kerry airport will be a decent option for German flights once they get the N22 road done. Then you're talking about 90 minutes to Kerry airport.
    You should be able to do Cork-Kerry Airport in 90 minutes now unless traffic is especially bad. Going via Mallow and Castleisland is probably faster too.

Who knows what the route options will be like when the Macroom bypass opens anyway (late 2022).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

And remember you can get the train all way to farranfore.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Apologies if this has been discussed already but has anyone else noticed that Air France flights are not bookable from Cork beyond October? They went to year round last year but you would expect a timetable for Winter to be up and running now if they are going to continue being a year around service. It would be such a shame if this becomes summer only again.

revelman wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been discussed already but has anyone else noticed that Air France flights are not bookable from Cork beyond October? They went to year round last year but you would expect a timetable for Winter to be up and running now if they are going to continue being a year around service. It would be such a shame if this becomes summer only again.

It was announced a few months ago that it wasn't running for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Not been to Berlin since the Kerry route started, but would be a lot happier going from there than driving up that death road to Shannon.

I remain hopeful that Ryanair are working in an anti clockwise direction and that the route will eventually operate out of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Is Liebherr in Killarney driving a large amount of German traffic to Kerry?

Is Liebherr in Killarney driving a large amount of German traffic to Kerry?

The flights are purely holiday traffic, Liebherr private jets are in quite often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

When I was much younger, I encountered a group of young German students (13/14 years old IIRC), and the one thing they all knew from Ireland was Kerrygold.

The power of branding!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I was thinking of taking the wife to Berlin next month but thats gone out the window with the planned strikes.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Interesting comments from the DTTAS
    “ 'Consistent oversupply' of transatlantic flights from Ireland, claims Department of Transport”
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/consistent-oversupply-of-transatlantic-flights-from-ireland-claims-department-of-transport-944217.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

They posted that the new routes have done well so far this year and will announce more routes for next summer in the next six weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Gamb!t wrote: »
    They posted that the new routes have done well so far this year and will announce more routes for next summer in the next six weeks..

Ya generally October/ November is a good time for summer route announcements. Will be interesting to see what new routes. They also a announced 12%growth in August figures up to 25/9. They should be given credit for the work they have done so far instead of the constant knocking some like to do.
    Wouldn't be surprised if the Zurich route goes year round soon. Looking forward to availing of Budapest flight before year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Gamb!t wrote: »

Looking forward to that. I'd assume Dubrovnik flight will stay, as likely will the Malta one, as they seemed to be popular this year. Be nice if they added an extra Dubrovnik one, or extended the dates on it so it started in April so could head there for Easter time.

titan18 wrote: »
    Looking forward to that. I'd assume Dubrovnik flight will stay, as likely will the Malta one, as they seemed to be popular this year. Be nice if they added an extra Dubrovnik one, or extended the dates on it so it started in April so could head there for Easter time.

Naples seems to be doing well too. Anyone know how the Lisbon route with AL is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

blindsider wrote: »

Those are extraordinary numbers for Cork Airport, 297k for July makes it the busies month since 2009. Given the August numbers are at +10% too they'll ease to the 2.6 million pax predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I hope Zurich goes year round ASAP, such a useful link for connections and so easy to navigate at the other end.

Lets have a Germany route again please, and a 3x daily Cork - Dublin PSO flight that goes into a purpose built domestic arrivals at Dublin with no security, no passport control and with links to both T1 and T2. That would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

I hope Zurich goes year round ASAP, such a useful link for connections and so easy to navigate at the other end.

Lets have a Germany route again please, and a 3x daily Cork - Dublin PSO flight that goes into a purpose built domestic arrivals at Dublin with no security, no passport control and with links to both T1 and T2. That would be nice.

There will not be a Cork Dublin PSO route, Cork is not a rural back water.

The M8 has killed a business case for such a route if it was on the mind of any airliner.
    Even if it was then it would kill off the passenger numbers on most European routes ex Cork as we would have the usual Cheaper from Dublin reason by those that insist on going all the way up to Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Naples seems to be doing well too. Anyone know how the Lisbon route with AL is doing?

I went in February on them and it was quite full. No idea how it's done since then though. Nice city though to visit so I'd recommend it, and gets good weather for a lot of the year (was about 20 degrees in February when I was there for example).

• Advertisement

Those are extraordinary numbers for Cork Airport, 297k for July makes it the busies month since 2009. Given the August numbers are at +10% too they'll ease to the 2.6 million pax predicted.

August just beat July with 297.5k

Advertisement