Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

MD1990 wrote: »
    Celtic need to enter the English leagues.

SPL is too weak.
    From a financial perspective it makes sense. From a political/social perspective I can't see it ever happening. Unless the likes of Hibs, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts improve and push Celtic on, things won't get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Unfortunately this is the level that Celtic are now at.

That's 2 years in a row that they exited the qualifying at this stage, so it's hard to argue that they are a better team and deserve to be in the group stages.

I know they are a club with massive potential, can attract 60000 fans each game etc, but unfortunately they are becoming less attractive to players and are likely to get worse before they get better as a result of this.

Their only hope is a euro super league in the future, which is organised based on revenue potential, or if uefa somehow try to spread the player talent more evenly, but let's be honest that's not going to happen.

I think we will just have to remember the glory nights at CP, when some of Europe's greatest succumbed to the passion and atmosphere of what were special events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Absolutely gutted after that last night. We absolutely threw that away. We were dreadful for the whole first half and they deserved to be ahead. Then the team I expected to show up from kick off showed up from kick off in the second half and we were brilliant. Once we went 2-1 we had numerous chances to get a third goal which would have IMHO killed the game at that point. Then what happen was just surreal. Brown makes a terrible error for their pk we show great character to go right down the field and get back in front. At that point we lost the plot mentality. We did not tighten up and see the game out but even after they made it 3-3 we still had plenty of time. Plus amazingly I was thinking as I was watching it they still looked very open at 3-3 yet we started to just lump the ball into the box from the half most of which were crap balls anyway instead of passing the ball and opening them up as we had been doing for most of the second half. It is was like watching a Celtic game in Europe from the 1980's at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Was it Lennons fault that Brown handled the ball giving away a crucial penalty? Silly nonsense against the manager on social media after a game is not acceptable.

I didn't see the game so I haven't a clue. I didn't say I'm agreeing with him either, just that it's interesting he did that. There's obviously problems in the dressing room we know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Celtic moving to the English pyramid would be the best step. The SPL seems weaker this year too. Celtic playing in the Premier League would be a huge incentive for players, sponsors and the city of Glasgow. Sadly it dosent look a realistic prospect

• Advertisement

It seems to have gone down a lot worse this year than others. We got knocked out at the same stage last year an wasn't much said. Only qualifed for the groups 3 times in last 8 years.

Was very strange to have Sinclair not even in the squad, having Morgan instead who's half the player. Putting our best attacking midfielder at left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It seems to have gone down a lot worse this year than others. We got knocked out at the same stage last year an wasn't much said. Only qualifed for the groups 3 times in last 8 years.

Was very strange to have Sinclair not even in the squad, having Morgan instead who's half the player. Putting our best attacking midfielder at left back.

It's gone down a lot worse because losing 4 goals at home to a team like Cluj is disastrous. Last year was bad but the off the pitch stuff made it somewhat understandable. Last night was just a complete joke.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Tom English on Celtic in Europe, he's spot on:
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49344965

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

PauloMN wrote: »

Don't normally like TE but you can't argue with any of what he has written - that is the most frustrating thing about last night - it was totally self inflicted and Lennon has some serious questions to answer about his decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Yeah it's spot on. The big issue wasn't that McGregor was playing at LB it was that he wasn't in the centre where he supports Brown and runs the game.

Our record in Europe is very poor recently and we are consistently being knocked out by teams that we should be beating and that have budgets a fraction of ours.

We should be spending more money but the money we do spend needs to be spent better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It's bizarre having two new signings sitting on the bench for that game, it really is. Mistakes or not, these guys cost a lot of money in Celtic terms and were obviously watched and have talent. They need to be played in these games, that's what they were bought for. Are they only going to be used against the likes of Ross County?!?!?

TBH I was doubtful we'd have progressed past the CL play-offs, but that's not the point. Now we have £10m in two new signings brought in specifically to cover two positions who are seemingly not good enough to play?

As for Brown, I had mixed feelings when he decided to stay - love the guy and he's been brilliant for us, but he's definitely on a downhill in terms of his overall performances and we don't seem to be addressing it. It's like we wait until the last minute with every big decision and then we wonder why things go pear shaped!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

It's bizarre having two new signings sitting on the bench for that game, it really is. Mistakes or not, these guys cost a lot of money in Celtic terms and were obviously watched and have talent. They need to be played in these games, that's what they were bought for. Are they only going to be used against the likes of Ross County?!?!?

TBH I was doubtful we'd have progressed past the CL play-offs, but that's not the point. Now we have £10m in two new signings brought in specifically to cover two positions who are seemingly not good enough to play?

As for Brown, I had mixed feelings when he decided to stay - love the guy and he's been brilliant for us, but he's definitely on a downhill in terms of his overall performances and we don't seem to be addressing it. It's like we wait until the last minute with every big decision and then we wonder why things go pear shaped!

So hang on your praise in the thread earlier and your support of manager and player is that redundant now?

This isn't on Lenny as it's on the players IMO.

So hang on your praise in the thread earlier and your support of manager and player is that redundant now?

So I can't criticise Lennon because I supported him before? That's an odd way to look at things.

Of course the players have blame to take, there's no doubt about that. But Tues night's calamity is largely down to management decisions, and Lennon has to take the blame for that. I'm surprised at how naive he was in that game, doesn't mean I want him sacked or that I don't support him.

Lennon's decision in moving McGregor to LB had the double effect of weakening us in both the LB & CM positions so Tues is mostly on him imo.

We were overrun in midfield, McGregor was at fault for at least 1 goal and we kept with it.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Lennon's decision in moving McGregor to LB had the double effect of weakening us in both the LB & CM positions so Tues is mostly on him imo.

We were overrun in midfield, McGregor was at fault for at least 1 goal and we kept with it.

People slated boli left back, now are asking why wasnt he in. What was he to do, drop to a flat back 3?

People slated boli left back, now are asking why wasnt he in. What was he to do, drop to a flat back 3?

Not really, my point is if there are problems at LB you don't help that by creating more issues in midfield.

Boli has been poor but him or Hayes would've been better options at LB.

Boli had a poor game in Cluj, I would have liked to see him play again though - he's a LB and will have learned a lot even in that game. Leaving him on the bench was a poor decision imo, esp. at the expense of one of our best midfielder playing out of position. I'd have much preferred Hayes playing there than McGregor in any case.

Brown's decline is going to bite us also, very worried about the long term impact there. He has been brilliant for us.

Boli had a poor game in Cluj, I would have liked to see him play again though - he's a LB and will have learned a lot even in that game. Leaving him on the bench was a poor decision imo, esp. at the expense of one of our best midfielder playing out of position. I'd have much preferred Hayes playing there than McGregor in any case.

Brown's decline is going to bite us also, very worried about the long term impact there. He has been brilliant for us.

I'd not be overly worried about broony. I'd imagine by looking at our set up we have 1 or 2 quite similar players in coming through.

He talks a lot of sh!te sometimes but think he's right here

https://twitter.com/Record_Sport/status/1161871388623245312?s=19

For me the worst call of the night was made when we went first 2-1 up and then again at 3-2. Why was Nir Biton not brought on first to steady the ship defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yeah it's spot on. The big issue wasn't that McGregor was playing at LB it was that he wasn't in the centre where he supports Brown and runs the game.

Our record in Europe is very poor recently and we are consistently being knocked out by teams that we should be beating and that have budgets a fraction of ours.

We should be spending more money but the money we do spend needs to be spent better

He does indeed make a lot of very valid points, but I do think the future may hold some hope for the likes of Celtic in terms of Euro football.

We all know UEFA are bending over backwards to please the big clubs, the power houses.

I think at some stage this will morph into some sort of Euro Super League. Maybe the clubs might organise it themselves, without UEFA? Who knows.

But one thing is for sure, if it does happen, its the likes of former greats like Celtic, with their 60000 fans, that will be invited in, and not their conquerors of recent seasons like Cluj, Maribor or Malmo.

Lennon should just learn to keep his thoughts to himself as he is now coming across as delusional

https://twitter.com/CelticFC/status/1162352562512834561?s=19

I know the English transfer window is closed but I have been struck by how little playing time Sinclair has been getting. I have to wonder if he is for the off somewhere this month. It will be very interesting to see if he is included in the team tomorrow against Dunfermline.

eire4 wrote: »
    I know the English transfer window is closed but I have been struck by how little playing time Sinclair has been getting. I have to wonder if he is for the off somewhere this month. It will be very interesting to see if he is included in the team tomorrow against Dunfermline.

I would've thought with the English window closed his chance for a move was gone but definitely looks to be out of favour at the minute. He's on big wages by all accounts so if there's no move coming he should be back in the squad.

Johnstone will be a decent player but young guys tend to be more inconsistent so having Sinclair around would be a good option, certainly better than Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Lennon should just learn to keep his thoughts to himself as he is now coming across as delusional

https://twitter.com/CelticFC/status/1162352562512834561?s=19

Great, we've now a manager who's starting to lose is grip on reality.

A simple - Sorry guys I screwed up, would at least give the fans some sense that he understood what was wrong with that team.

I really hope it's him just being stubborn and that he's trying to just sit out until it all blows over, because if he actually believes that team selection didn't have a bearing on the result then we really do have a big big problem on our hands with this man in charge.

Great, we've now a manager who's starting to lose is grip on reality.

A simple - Sorry guys I screwed up, would at least give the fans some sense that he understood what was wrong with that team.

I really hope it's him just being stubborn and that he's trying to just sit out until it all blows over, because if he actually believes that team selection didn't have a bearing on the result then we really do have a big big problem on our hands with this man in charge.

To be fair to him I don't remember any manager come out after a game and admit they made a mistake so I won't hold it against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

What is the situation with Luca Connell? Is he injured or just proving not good enough to make match day squads? I would have thought he might have got a look in for the League Cup.

henke wrote: »
    What is the situation with Luca Connell? Is he injured or just proving not good enough to make match day squads? I would have thought he might have got a look in for the League Cup.

Probably not Lennons mate

Great banner to let the board know they have to get the finger out. Probably won't make a difference though

https://twitter.com/RhebelRhebel/status/1162726236902383616?s=19

• Advertisement

Not watching the game but from reading the match thread on KDS it appears we are having a very poor game.

Great goal from Johnston, strange celebration though :confused:

https://twitter.com/philmaxwell1888/status/1162744618934558721?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Watching it courtesy of Dunfermline TV, seems to be provided from a mobile phone!!

Super cross/shot!

Ajer off, looks like he's done his shoulder

FFS

• Advertisement

And Dunfermline have equalised

Bitton hits the post

What a chance right at the end for Celtic, still 1-1 so ET

Audible booing at final whistle

19 corners for Celtic so far and not scored from one of them

• Advertisement

Beaton bottles a handball decision and does not give Celtic a penalty

The reaction, or lack off, from the players after both goals says it all.

Delighted for the win but think it's just papering over alot of cracks.

Beaton bottles a handball decision and does not give Celtic a penalty

He did for sure an absolute stone wall PK no question about that.

Poor performance today. For me our worst of the season so far but we did deserve the win. Personally I am not going to go over the top about this weeks performances. I did not go over the top in praise when we scored 12 goals in winning our first 2 league games so I am not going to go over the top the other way about the last 2 games. Facts are our issue is we are trying to put together an entirely new backline from what we had last season and we have not got it together yet defensively. We have a massive game now against Stockholm on Thursday and we really need to start to get things sorted defensively. That for me is the key for us right now. If we can sort that we will be fine. If we don't then we are vulnerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Still as confident gents?
    Neil is doing an excellent job .
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yep.

A few Celtic fans including one or two round here need to get their head out of their asses and cop on. Neil Lennon will deliver success for Celtic once he gets reasonable backing from the board and from the fans.

He had £10m worth of newly signed defenders sitting on the bench last week, as he guided Celtic to yet another embarrassing European exit, bizarrely with CallyMac at left back
    Unfortunately a narrative has emerged that Lennon is old school and doesn’t do preparation and we can do better etc. It’s a bullshnarrative. That was the first competitive game of the season in a tricky hostile environment on a poor playing surface. The team were well prepared as evidenced by the way they got stronger as the game went on and saw out the win emphatically.

There's a reason that narrative has emerged. Quotes from former players, his side being disorganised etc.

Support Neil Lennon and he will deliver CL qualification and the league title. Bitch and moan about him after every under par performance and that will just make things more difficult.

A few Celtic fans need to grow up and realize that Celtic are on the cusp of something special and that there will be all sorts of attempts from other quarters to stop us getting there. We need a siege mentality behind Lennon and we’ll get there.

Well you were obviously wrong about CL qualification. I fear with a manager as incompetent in the role as Lennon, you may be equally wrong about league title chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

LiamoSail wrote: »

He had £10m worth of newly signed defenders sitting on the bench last week, as he guided Celtic to yet another embarrassing European exit, bizarrely with CallyMac at left back

There's a reason that narrative has emerged. Quotes from former players, his side being disorganised etc.

Well you were obviously wrong about CL qualification. I fear with a manager as incompetent in the role as Lennon, you may be equally wrong about league title chances

2 league games in. We’ll see at the end of the season. Absolutely pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

LiamoSail wrote: »

If Lennon was supported (by Lawwell and the board) he probably would have got us qualified. Lennon is another patsy as Lawwell secures his bonus by selling our best players and winning the bank balance cup while downsizing the team. We spent 10m? FFS the last 4 windows have been horrendous and we’re sitting on loads of money in the bank.

Lawwell is apparently on holidays this week, sure why wouldn’t he be after all his sterling work recently. You’re missing the big picture here pal. Whoosh.

2 league games in. We’ll see at the end of the season. Absolutely pathetic

Cluj. Alsolutely pathetic

If Lennon was supported (by Lawwell and the board) he probably would have got us qualified. Lennon is another patsy as Lawwell secures his bonus by selling our best players and winning the bank balance cup while downsizing the team. We spent 10m? FFS the last 4 windows have been horrendous and we’re sitting on loads of money in the bank.

Lawwell is apparently on holidays this week, sure why wouldn’t he be after all his sterling work recently. You’re missing the big picture here pal. Whoosh.

£10m worth of defenders newly signed watching from the bench. One a LB while Lennon played an attacking midfielder at left back. He hasn’t utilisedbthe £10m he spent.

In any case, Celtic have a budget greater than every club in the Romanian league combined. How much is it going to take for Lennon to overcome a club with a fraction of his budget? How much do the board need to spend to make up for Lennon’s shortcomings as a manager??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement