Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Well as seen on transfer deadline day, £10m doesn't even get you Ross McCormack.
    Would have certainly got us Steven Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Intifada wrote: »
    Would have certainly got us Steven Fletcher

And he would have certainly taken the paycut to come too I suppose?

And he would have certainly taken the paycut to come too I suppose?
    Why would he have to take a paycut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Why would he have to take a paycut?

Because his weekly salary at Sunderland which is 40,000 a week is above what anybody in the current Celtic make weekly. Would Fletcher have been good for us yes I think he would have done well for us but he is not so good he is worth breaking our pay structure within the squad for. Never mind he does have a history with injuries. I would be fine with breaking the pay structure every now and then but not for Fletcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

eire4 wrote: »
    Because his weekly salary at Sunderland which is 40,000 a week is above what anybody in the current Celtic make weekly. Would Fletcher have been good for us yes I think he would have done well for us but he is not so good he is worth breaking our pay structure within the squad for. Never mind he does have a history with injuries. I would be fine with breaking the pay structure every now and then but not for Fletcher.

Exactly, a guy like Fletcher is not a big enough step up from our current squad to be changing our pay structure. He would be a good signing if it was within our budget but players like Brown & Gordon are more deserving of GOP salaries at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Fletcher was worth getting when he was too good for Hibs, that boat sailed along time ago. His stock has plummeted in recent years

Because his weekly salary at Sunderland which is 40,000 a week is above what anybody in the current Celtic make weekly..
    But we're literally discussing this within the context of spending a chunk of money.......

I'm not necessarily advocating signing Fletcher specifically btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

But we're literally discussing this within the context of spending a chunk of money.......

I'm not necessarily advocating signing Fletcher specifically btw

I dont think you know Economics. You are fixated on spending and throwing money at players to compete with EPL clubs without mentioning where revenue is generated. Try and have a look at Shelbourne/Cork City they started firing money around the place chasing Europe. It didnt work well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I dont think you know Economics. You are fixated on spending and throwing money at players to compete with EPL clubs without mentioning where revenue is generated. Try and have a look at Shelbourne/Cork City they started firing money around the place chasing Europe. It didnt work well.

Celtic don't need to splash the cash to an EPL standard to qualify for Europe, they just need to be smarter in how they spend. Malmo for example have a budget roughly the size of Aberdeen's. Invest in a proper scouting system &. stop wasting a small fortune (by SPL) standards on dross.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Celtic don't need to splash the cash to an EPL standard to qualify for Europe, they just need to be smarter in how they spend. Malmo for example have a budget roughly the size of Aberdeen's. Invest in a proper scouting system &. stop wasting a small fortune (by SPL) standards on dross.
    Thats true we have wasted money especially upfront on dregs like Bangura but altering our wage structure and throwing out 40k a week contracts to injury prone 28 year olds isnt exactly genius spending either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Thats true we have wasted money especially upfront on dregs like Bangura but altering our wage structure and throwing out 40k a week contracts to injury prone 28 year olds isnt exactly genius spending either.

I wouldn't advocate that. What I think Celtic should be doing is investing in a proper scouting network & increasing the level of spending on youth development.

I think before patronising me you would do well to look at our turnover in years we've qualified for the CL. Also take a look at Sherbourne and Cork's turnover and decide for yourself whether mentioning them in a discussion about Celtic is anything short of embarrassing for you.

I think before patronising me you would do well to look at our turnover in years we've qualified for the CL. Also take a look at Sherbourne and Cork's turnover and decide for yourself whether mentioning them in a discussion about Celtic is anything short of embarrassing for you.

Well then I guess you utterly missed the point.

Well then I guess you utterly missed the point.

The amount of money and risk the likes of Shels needed to become a European team is tons more than what Celtic would need. We are literally talking about buying maybe one player (a striker) to massively boost our chances.

I've seen a few numpties cite the fact that Malmo etc spent less than us, as if this somehow disproves the fact that investment in playing staff makes you a better team. Nobody is saying the team that spends more is guaranteed to progress. I am saying that the more we invest in our team, the better our chances. We could have a tactical nightmare and still have a better chance if we have better players. If you need supporting evidence perhaps consider that when we have invested in our team we have done well, and when we haven't, we have failed miserably.

Some of the shít I've read here would make me despair for our support, but thankfully it is only ever spouted online.

The amount of money and risk the likes of Shels needed to become a European team is tons more than what Celtic would need. We are literally talking about buying maybe one player (a striker) to massively boost our chances.

I've seen a few numpties cite the fact that Malmo etc spent less than us, as if this somehow disproves the fact that investment in playing staff makes you a better team. Nobody is saying the team that spends more is guaranteed to progress. I am saying that the more we invest in our team, the better our chances. We could have a tactical nightmare and still have a better chance if we have better players. If you need supporting evidence perhaps consider that when we have invested in our team we have done well, and when we haven't, we have failed miserably.

Some of the shít I've read here would make me despair for our support, but thankfully it is only ever spouted online.

Ah, that's all we need then, the fabled "class" striker. There's such an abundance of them nowadays and Scotland is always high on the list of countries they want to play in. Man Utd just signed a 19yo for £36m with ludicrous add ons, who has played 90 minutes 5 times in his career.

The only people who want to come to Scotland are journeymen and players from poorer leagues. The days of signing top strikers is gone.

Ah, that's all we need then, the fabled "class" striker. There's such an abundance of them nowadays and Scotland is always high on the list of countries they want to play in. Man Utd just signed a 19yo for £36m with ludicrous add ons, who has played 90 minutes 5 times in his career.

The only people who want to come to Scotland are journeymen and players from poorer leagues. The days of signing top strikers is gone.
    Why do you even support Celtic?

Why do you even support Celtic?

I support the team we have, I don't whine and moan that we aren't signing some mythical European class striker.

I support the team we have, I don't whine and moan that we aren't signing some mythical European class striker.
    I suppose that's the key difference really. Some of us are happy with mediocrity while others want what's best for the club.

In your defence, at least you're constantly satisfied.

I suppose that's the key difference really. Some of us are happy with mediocrity while others want what's best for the club.

So the best for the club is to embark on a financial model that is inherently unsuitable and unstable for the club given the financial strength of the tv & sponsorship deals in place? :rolleyes:

Have you gotten around to reading the annual reports yet? You need a good dose of reality, this aint football manager.

• Advertisement

Hahahaha, so spending huge money that we don't have is good for the club now???

Hahahaha, so spending huge money that we don't have is good for the club now???
    You are the only person talking about spending huge money that we don't have, with your ridiculous and quite frankly embarrassing mentions of £36m signings as if they have any relevance to Celtic.

Well theres realism and theres fantasy. You might envision Celtic winning the CL but that is more dreams than reality. You might imagine having Benzema and Messi as the best for the club. Yet again its fantasy.

You are the only person talking about spending huge money that we don't have, with your ridiculous and quite frankly embarrassing mentions of £36m signings as if they have any relevance to Celtic.

Well tell me mystic one who is this "non mediocre" striker we can get for feck all money. You want the best but dont seem to want to spend the prices that accompany the best, or do you think you can get the best cheap?

Well theres realism and theres fantasy. You might envision Celtic winning the CL but that is more dreams than reality. You might imagine having Benzema and Messi as the best for the club. Yet again its fantasy.
    Is this a wind up.....

Is this a wind up.....

Nope thats what you do to the rangers fans. I'm just trying to figure out what exactly you want. You seem to be stuck between dreams and reality. You regularly spout on about the best yet then refute spending big. The best aint cheap. This is the real world.

I'm just trying to figure out what exactly you want.
    Could you start by showing everybody where I'm mentioned winning the CL, signing Messi or signing Benzema. Thanks bud

• Advertisement

Could you start by showing everybody where I'm mentioned winning the CL, signing Messi or signing Benzema. Thanks bud

Well you never seem to name who this mythical best and cheap striker is. I can't read your mind so I have to guess who exactly you are fantasizing about seeing in the hoops. Unless you imagine Steven Fletcher to be the new Henrik for us?

Well you never seem to name who this mythical best and cheap striker is. I can't read your mind so I have to guess who exactly you are fantasizing about seeing in the hoops. Unless you imagine Steven Fletcher to be the new Henrik for us?

I think I can spot a couple of places where your brain may have tripped up here.

- Nobody ever said Celtic have to sign the "best striker". So no Messis I'm afraid. Perhaps you heard the word 'best' in "want whats best for the club" and got confused?

- Between the points of spending £60m on a world class superstar, and spending £1m on utter dross there are a vast number of possibilities. One could, for example, spend £5-7m on a good but not world-class striker.

Sorry if I caused any confusion with all my talk of spending hundreds of millions, signing Messi, Ronaldo, Benzema and winning the Champions League. PS. you didn't answer my request that you show us where I said these things, why's that?

On another note we actually have a massive game coming up in a couple of days as we return to action with a road trip to play in form Aberdeen. Our dominance over them last season was a key in winning the league so lets hope we can continue with that. What makes me nervous about this one though is we may be going into the game with almost a whole new back line after all the transfer window comings and goings. Any win in this game would be absolutely massive but given the timing of this game it is going to be very tough because Aberdeen will be really up for this one and certainly have been very impressive so far in the league.

I think I can spot a couple of places where your brain may have tripped up here.

- Nobody ever said Celtic have to sign the "best striker". So no Messis I'm afraid. Perhaps you heard the word 'best' in "want whats best for the club" and got confused?

- Between the points of spending £60m on a world class superstar, and spending £1m on utter dross there are a vast number of possibilities. One could, for example, spend £5-7m on a good but not world-class striker.

Sorry if I caused any confusion with all my talk of spending hundreds of millions, signing Messi, Ronaldo, Benzema and winning the Champions League. PS. you didn't answer my request that you show us where I said these things, why's that?
    Because you still dont name this miracle striker you keep refering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

On another note we actually have a massive game coming up in a couple of days as we return to action with a road trip to play in form Aberdeen. Our dominance over them last season was a key in winning the league so lets hope we can continue with that. What makes me nervous about this one though is we may be going into the game with almost a whole new back line after all the transfer window comings and goings. Any win in this game would be absolutely massive but given the timing of this game it is going to be very tough because Aberdeen will be really up for this one and certainly have been very impressive so far in the league.

A whole new back line and Brown carrying an injury which has affected his form this season, he shouldn't have been playing for Scotland in my view. Ajax away next Thursday as well.

• Advertisement

Because you still dont name this miracle striker you keep refering.
    You seem to think you are winning the argument if I do not name a specific player, as if I am a professional scout. I could name Finbogasson who left for £5.5m or Guidetti who we could have kept had we coughed up the wages. Even if these players didn't exist, my point still stands.

I am still waiting for you to show us where I mentioned winning the CL or signing Messi.

You seem to think you are winning the argument if I do not name a specific player, as if I am a professional scout. I could name Finbogasson who left for £5.5m or Guidetti who we could have kept had we coughed up the wages. Even if these players didn't exist, my point still stands.

I am still waiting for you to show us where I mentioned winning the CL or signing Messi.

That'd be John Guidetti who wasn't as good as Leigh Griffiths last year and Albert Finbogasson who got 2 goals last season??

Have you a scouting CV I could send onto Celtic Park?? You'd probably fit in with the striker scouts we have at the moment 😂😂😂

I'd have offered Hoffenheim £3-4m for Kevin Volland, but even now I'd say he's worth multiples of that. Maybe Joel Campbell from Arsenal for a loan with option to buy. They may have scoured Europe looking for a striker and been turned down, we don't know, but it's an easy stick to beat them with.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    A whole new back line and Brown carrying an injury which has affected his form this season, he shouldn't have been playing for Scotland in my view. Ajax away next Thursday as well.

Tend to agree with you about Brown. He has struggled in the games since he came off injured against Inverness. Hopefully Lustig is fit and able to play tomorrow. That would help at the back for sure.

New financial figures make for grim viewing, and surely place the Board under serious scrutiny. Somehow I doubt "b-b-b-but at least we're not liquidated" will wash with actual real life, serious people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Celtic 1 up at half time, Aberdeen player should have been off for pulling Griffiths down. Griffiths scores the penalty

m8pLBw.gif

New financial figures make for grim viewing, and surely place the Board under serious scrutiny. Somehow I doubt "b-b-b-but at least we're not liquidated" will wash with actual real life, serious people.

Do they? Are they??

You do realize that Celtic already are forcecast to comfortably make a profit next season even without UCL football??

Also, Considine should have been off the field. Terrible decision again from that jackass of a referee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Mulgrew very lucky not to give away a penalty there

1-1 Rooney penalty, soft one for me

Fairly braindead stuff from Boyata and him protesting his innocence makes him look even more stupid

Hayes off, straight red for a lunge on Lustig

• Advertisement

I dont think there was anything malicious in the tackle but it was reckless and and out of control. Deserved a red card but that should have been Aberdeen down to 9 men

10 men Aberdeen go 2-1 up

Dreadful from Griffiths to give the ball away, dreadful from Ambrose to concede the freekick and dreadful from the defence and Gordon to allow Quinn to score like that

Defensively naive and have been for a long time

Lost 2-1, goal line clearance to deny the equaliser in added time

Lost 2-1, goal line clearance to deny the equaliser in added time

By a player that should have been sent off.

Still, its too easy to blame the referee when Celtic are lacking cutting edge from open play. You can only overpower so many teams with fitness.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Good game, great atmosphere, shame about the result. That's about all that can be said. Gordon at fault for their 2nd goal, very poor.

They are a good side, and I think will push Celtic right to the end of the league even more than last year.

Nice video if you have not seen Celtic Park for a while

The SFA get it in the neck from UEFA

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13719346.UEFA_raps__reckless__Scottish_FA_over_claims_sectarianism_just_part_of_the_national_game/
    Herald wrote:
    EUROPEAN football's governing body has criticised its Scottish counterparts as "reckless" after an official document claimed it viewed sectarian terms as part of the national game.

The Uefa report alleges the Scottish Football Association told Dutch giants Ajax terms such as 'Fenian' and 'Orange' were viewed as a "badge of honour" by half of Old Firm fans and it did not warn clubs about the use of such discriminatory language.

It emerged in the findings of disciplinary action taken against Ajax after its fans displayed a banner with the words ‘Fenian Bastards’ when it last played Celtic in Amsterdam nearly two years ago.

The clubs meet in a Europa League tie at the Amsterdam Arena on Thursday.

Interview on Dutch TV from Padraig Mullen about being beaten up and arrested in Amsterdam at the last Ajax game

http://www.at5.nl/artikelen/147339/mishandelde-celtic-fan-ze-bleven-maar-op-ons-inslaa

The SFA get it in the neck from UEFA

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13719346.UEFA_raps__reckless__Scottish_FA_over_claims_sectarianism_just_part_of_the_national_game/

Interview on Dutch TV from Padraig Mullen about being beaten up and arrested in Amsterdam at the last Ajax game

http://www.at5.nl/artikelen/147339/mishandelde-celtic-fan-ze-bleven-maar-op-ons-inslaa

Their response to the other teams songbook at the Cup semi last year was pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Their response to the other teams songbook at the Cup semi last year was pathetic.

They utterly failed to deal with it. When it was brought up on the rangers thread here on Boards, the rangers posters simply ignored it.

It will be dealt with some time, it's pathetic that they have to be told to deal with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement