Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Normally I wouldn't be in favour of a loan deal but given the length of this one I am ok with it. If Roberts can help get us into the Champions League group stages it will be well worth it. He certainly does come with a lot of praise for such a young lad. Wonder will we see him at all tomorrow.

Big blow ahead of tomorrows crucial trip to Aberdeen with the news Simunovic is out for 4-6 weeks. I expect we will likely see Sviatchenko from the start tomorrow. He was one of the few bright spots from Sunday so hopefully he can have a big game tomorrow if he does start. Certainly we will need to be really up for this one especially early on. Aberdeen have had a week to rest and focus on this one. Their players know only a win gives them a real shot at the league so you can be sure they will be flying into the tackles from the off. We need to show some real character and battling quality early on for sure and hopefully with Brown back in the lineup that is what we will see tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Giggs In!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

So its rumoured!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Giggs In!

In like Flynn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'd be surprised if that is anything other than a rumour

Deila is manager of the month, cant sack him!! :pac:

Other reports saying giggs is ill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

So.... have the press already been warned for Kazim Richards? :D

Thanks for taking him of the pay roll at Feyenoord.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Talk about against the run of play!! Great start from Celtic dominating possession but again we were made pay for not turning possession into goals.

FFS, shocking defending, 4 on the line & couldn't stop it

• Advertisement

For those in the dark- celts two down

Deila looks terrified

damian139 wrote: »
    Deila looks terrified

I don't blame him, there's gonna be huge pressure on him after this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Deila looks terrified

He's never been the right man for the job, he's done a **** job

Lovin griffiths' spriit, tho he needs help. And a proven goal scorer sent to play for hibs....

How is GMS still on the pitch?!?

He's been unbelievingly awful

Delia out!

Need the change now before we end up 2nd in a one horse race. I don't think I've seen any professional side defend set pieces as bad as we do and we're pedestrian in attack.

No idea who should replace him but surely there's someone that can teach us to defend and attack with purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

eire4 wrote: »
    Not for me. I am 100% behind him. Had a good first season and so far this season we are top of the league and still in both cups. Europe has been a major disappointment no question but we were always going to have issues defensively with Denayer's loan ending and selling Van Dijk never mind also selling Matthews who played most of the games at right back last season with Lustig being injured.
    I wish we were in a different position where we could spend some decent money on players but we are not and Delia I think has a good vision for how he wants his team to play he needs time to build and develop the players for that. Sadly that takes time rather then just buying ready made players which we cannot afford to do at least not for the level that would make an immediate impact in European games.

Still 100% behind him??

Hopefully that's the end of Deila. Almost everytime the team faces a test under him they fold, no fight in the 2nd half there at all. He doesn't have what it takes, sooner he's gone the better.

• Advertisement

Dismal display tonight. The part that bothered me the most in a way was the first 15 minutes or so of the second half. As bad as the first half ended up we did actually dominate the first half hour albeit without ever looking like we would score. Their first goal came out of nowhere and was a great hit. The second goal was the real disaster for me as once again we get done on a corner kick. But all that said I expected us to come out and get after it in the second half. Instead nothing. No reaction at all. It took us about 25 minutes into the second half to get going at all. That really pissed me off.
    They deserved the win because they defended much better then us particuarly at set pieces where we were all over the shop all night. We had spells in both halfs where we dominated possession and the flow of the game but we never did much with it and rarely looked like we would score.
    This has to be a real wake up call for quite a few players who need to have a good hard look in the mirror. We had more then enough quality out there but a distinct lack of bite and aggression to our game.

Still 100% behind him??

Yes.

Yes.

You are part of the problem then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Yes.

Your losing the plot then so. How can you be behind that man when he clearly doesn't have the players playing for him?

And it's not just Ronny that's the problem. He shouldn't have been given the job in the first place.

Yes.

Maybe you think you're some kind of an uber fan by sticking by the manager 'till the bitter end type thing, but in actuality you're just making yourself look like a fool.

Deila is a disaster and he's a busted flush, the longer he stays the more damage he will do.

Your losing the plot then so. How can you be behind that man when he clearly doesn't have the players playing for him?

And it's not just Ronny that's the problem. He shouldn't have been given the job in the first place.

We did try and give the job to other managers ahead of Delia but they all turned us down. Reality is just as with players we simply cannot afford top level proven managers as we cannot afford top level proven players.

I think Delia has good potential as a manager and deserves more time. I still think we will win the title with Deila and maybe even the double this season.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Maybe you think you're some kind of an uber fan by sticking by the manager 'till the bitter end type thing, but in actuality you're just making yourself look like a fool.

Deila is a disaster and he's a busted flush, the longer he stays the more damage he will do.

Ah yes insults because someone differs in opinion to you. Brilliant.

I wish we had the financial ability to attract top quality proven managers just as I wish the same with players. Its very rare indeed that I ever even remotely get excited by new Celtic signings. But we do not have the ability to sign top quality proven managers and Delia is a manager who has potential with whom I still think we can win the title this season. So I stick with him.

You are part of the problem then.

How dare I disagree with your omniessence.

We did try and give the job to other managers ahead of Delia but they all turned us down. Reality is just as with players we simply cannot afford top level proven managers as we cannot afford top level proven players.

I think Delia has good potential as a manager and deserves more time. I still think we will win the title with Deila and maybe even the double this season.

To be honest, I highly doubt that that team/squad could win the cup as I don't think they have the mindset to do it. They crumble absolutely every time there is pressure on and in the big games.

The board seem to think that winning the league is grand, couple of games in Europe the next season is grand. Spend nothing and if they qualify for the Champions League group stage, it's a panic on for 3 days before the transfer window shuts to get players in. This is a shocking business model. Investment is needed and the falling attendances week on week show that. Why would ya go watch that dross, especially travel from Ireland to watch it?

To be honest, I highly doubt that that team/squad could win the cup as I don't think they have the mindset to do it. They crumble absolutely every time there is pressure on and in the big games.

The board seem to think that winning the league is grand, couple of games in Europe the next season is grand. Spend nothing and if they qualify for the Champions League group stage, it's a panic on for 3 days before the transfer window shuts to get players in. This is a shocking business model. Investment is needed and the falling attendances week on week show that. Why would ya go watch that dross, especially travel from Ireland to watch it?

There is no question there is a lot of truth to what you say there. The quality of player we have at Celtic has steadily decreased since the O'Neill days. I rarely ever get excited about new signings as we are pushed further and further down the market financially. However that is our reality right now. We cannot even compete with the wages on offer in the second tier in England never mind the premier league.

How we can change the financial straitjacket we are currently in I do not profess to know. There are lots of ways that could have small impacts. For example say we sold the stadium naming rights for say a 5 year deal at 2m a year. That could finance us signing a new player at our current salary max. But does that really fundamentally change our current picture no it does not. So in short yes there may be various ideas which could help out to an extent. But for us to break out of our current financial straitjacket takes a financial game changer.

• Advertisement

Manager in saying he's not going to admit defeat and resign shocker.

Ah yes insults because someone differs in opinion to you. Brilliant.

I wish we had the financial ability to attract top quality proven managers just as I wish the same with players. Its very rare indeed that I ever even remotely get excited by new Celtic signings. But we do not have the ability to sign top quality proven managers and Delia is a manager who has potential with whom I still think we can win the title this season. So I stick with him.

Yes you have gone on about insults before. The only one here doing insults is you, insulting other Celtic supporters intelligence.

You think Deila can still win the title? of course he can don't be talking gibberish, it's a one horse race, but his incompetence is in danger of making it competitive.

Stick with him all you like, Deila will not be leading Celtic into the next CL qualifier series, unless the board have entirely lost their marbles.

Of course he won't quit, he'll never get a job like the Celtic job again.

How dare I disagree with your omniessence.

I'm not sure you know what omniessence means.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Have to disagree with you there. Deila's time was up after a second complete failure in Europe this season. Simply not acceptable. Getting dumped out of the League Cup by Ross County was just more of same. Getting papped by Aberdeen was yet more of same.

We need a British/Irish manager imo, someone who knows the game in Scotland, knows the type of games we need to win, the pitches we play on, the tactics we are up against a lot of the time with 10 men behind the ball etc.. This doesn't need some crazy expensive manager, it needs someone with the knowledge and passion to take the club forward.

Deila is out of ideas. It's been said before, his weakness is the team not knowing what to do when things don't go to plan. We are completely hapless when something happens that takes us by surprise. Every fan is groaning when Ambrose plays in important games like cup semis, Europe etc. yet Deila insists on starting him over and over again.

And the bit I've bolded above.... for the league to even be in doubt when Rangers are not around is a scandal. We should be 9+ points ahead of Aberdeen at this stage of the season. That alone should be enough of a reason to move Deila on. I've seen nothing in his football philosophy that makes me want him around. No point in getting the odd comfortable 3 or 4 goal win in the league (and even those are few and far between) when you are consistently failing in important cup/Euro games.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yes you have gone on about insults before. The only one here doing insults is you, insulting other Celtic supporters intelligence.

You think Deila can still win the title? of course he can don't be talking gibberish, it's a one horse race, but his incompetence is in danger of making it competitive.

Stick with him all you like, Deila will not be leading Celtic into the next CL qualifier series, unless the board have entirely lost their marbles.

Well you see I respect that you see things differently.
    But yes you indeed do continually insult a fellow Celtic supporter because he dares to differ in his opinion of you. What a crime.

I'm not sure you know what omniessence means.

Ahh well I read a lot so I do:)

PauloMN wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you there. Deila's time was up after a second complete failure in Europe this season. Simply not acceptable. Getting dumped out of the League Cup by Ross County was just more of same. Getting papped by Aberdeen was yet more of same.

We need a British/Irish manager imo, someone who knows the game in Scotland, knows the type of games we need to win, the pitches we play on, the tactics we are up against a lot of the time with 10 men behind the ball etc.. This doesn't need some crazy expensive manager, it needs someone with the knowledge and passion to take the club forward.

Deila is out of ideas. It's been said before, his weakness is the team not knowing what to do when things don't go to plan. We are completely hapless when something happens that takes us by surprise. Every fan is groaning when Ambrose plays in important games like cup semis, Europe etc. yet Deila insists on starting him over and over again.

And the bit I've bolded above.... for the league to even be in doubt when Rangers are not around is a scandal. We should be 9+ points ahead of Aberdeen at this stage of the season. That alone should be enough of a reason to move Deila on. I've seen nothing in his football philosophy that makes me want him around. No point in getting the odd comfortable 3 or 4 goal win in the league (and even those are few and far between) when you are consistently failing in important cup/Euro games.

You know when the bad old days were around and we weren't even finishing second Aberdeen were the main challengers those days too and they came close a couple of times. In 1991 for instance Aberdeen only lost out on the title with a loss at ibrox on the final day to finish 2 points back. In 1990 when we finished 5th it was Aberdeen again who were second 7 points back. In 1989 Aberdeen were second 6 points back. In 1993 the final gap for Aberdeen again in second was 9 points. In 1994 once again it was Aberdeen who were second only 3 points back that year. We finished 4th that year.

I do not take domestic dominance for granted and have very much enjoyed our success in recent years and I think Delia will come out on top in the title race again this year as he did last year. You think differently and that is fine. I guess we will all find out in 14 games time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

You know when the bad old days were around and we weren't even finishing second Aberdeen were the main challengers those days too and they came close a couple of times. In 1991 for instance Aberdeen only lost out on the title with a loss at ibrox on the final day to finish 2 points back. In 1990 when we finished 5th it was Aberdeen again who were second 7 points back. In 1989 Aberdeen were second 6 points back. In 1993 the final gap for Aberdeen again in second was 9 points. In 1994 once again it was Aberdeen who were second only 3 points back that year. We finished 4th that year.

I do not take domestic dominance for granted and have very much enjoyed our success in recent years and I think Delia will come out on top in the title race again this year as he did last year. You think differently and that is fine. I guess we will all find out in 14 games time.

I think we will win the league, my earlier reply was disagreeing with your opinion on Deila, sorry wasn't clear.

However to be where we are given our resources is failure in my opinion. Scraping a league title whilst failing miserably in Europe, and in the League Cup (and who knows how the Scottish Cup will go) - it's not good enough. He has had his time in his first season to settle in, no excuses now.

There was a shot of him the other night with Collins and Kennedy and the three of them looked like lost puppies.... blank expressions, didn't know what to do, how to try and get the team back on track. Reminded me of the Mowbray times all over again. Give me Lenny back any day.

I think we will win the league, my earlier reply was disagreeing with your opinion on Deila, sorry wasn't clear.

However to be where we are given our resources is failure in my opinion. Scraping a league title whilst failing miserably in Europe, and in the League Cup (and who knows how the Scottish Cup will go) - it's not good enough. He has had his time in his first season to settle in, no excuses now.

There was a shot of him the other night with Collins and Kennedy and the three of them looked like lost puppies.... blank expressions, didn't know what to do, how to try and get the team back on track. Reminded me of the Mowbray times all over again. Give me Lenny back any day.

That's him in a nutshell. Once plan A doesn't work, he's screwed. Now is the perfect time to ditch him. Let someone new come in, assess the squad and hit the summer transfer window running. No point waiting til the summer and bringing someone in straight into the CL qualifiers.

• Advertisement

Hey I am with you on Lennon for sure. I never wanted him to leave. I was truly gutted when he left/was forced out.

Yes indeed we do have bigger resources then Aberdeen. But so was the case in the late 80's early 90's when Aberdeen then also were the main challengers to the bigger resouced team and even came very close to the title a couple of times. So for me while I agree this season has not reached the heights last season did no question about that we are still in a position to make a run at a double. The biggest problem for me this season has been the utter fiasco at times that has been our back line. We simply haven't got that right since selling Van Dijk and Matthews and being unable to extend Denayers loan period. Sviatchenko looks like he may provide some solutions there but only the next couple of months will really tell.

You seriously comparing that aberdeen team to the one that put stars on their jersey? Oh dear

Deila is making the same mistakes now as he did a year ago. The teams mental strength is gone. I see no evidence of that changing

Dempsey wrote: »
    You seriously comparing that aberdeen team to the one that put stars on their jersey? Oh dear

Deila is making the same mistakes now as he did a year ago. The teams mental strength is gone. I see no evidence of that changing

The Aberdeen team that put stars on their jersey played in the early to mid 80's. The Aberdeen team I am talking about was the one that consistently finished second from 89-94. They faced a team that spent way more money then they had available yet were very competitive with them and came very close to the title twice during that period.

The Aberdeen team that put stars on their jersey played in the early to mid 80's. The Aberdeen team I am talking about was the one that consistently finished second from 89-94. They faced a team that spent way more money then they had available yet were very competitive with them and came very close to the title twice during that period.

Oh, you mean the years that the Kelly's almost liquidated Celtic?? Those years??

Oh, you mean the years that the Kelly's almost liquidated Celtic?? Those years??

Yes 89-94. When indeed as you say the Kelly's and the Grant's had run Celtic to the brink of complete ruin so we were basically a non factor in the title race finishing as low as 5th and 4th even. It was of course the team on the other side of Glasgow at the time that was spending massive money by comparison to what Aberdeen had available then.

Yes 89-94. When indeed as you say the Kelly's and the Grant's had run Celtic to the brink of complete ruin so we were basically a non factor in the title race finishing as low as 5th and 4th even. It was of course the team on the other side of Glasgow at the time that was spending massive money by comparison to what Aberdeen had available then.

We are talking about Celtic, not Rangers so I fail to see your point.

Will be very interesting to see what kind of lineup we put out tomorrow. I would think we will see a much changed lineup but how much will be interesting. I certainly could see Griffiths been given a rest given how vital he is right now and our lack of cover in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

More a casual observer in the thread guys, after the last time when ye were looking for a new manager, who do ye see yourselfs going for when Deila finally gets the boot. Would you maybe stay in the league with Robbie Neilson, or would you think ye have enough pull to get Hamilton from Norwich.

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    More a casual observer in the thread guys, after the last time when ye were looking for a new manager, who do ye see yourselfs going for when Deila finally gets the boot. Would you maybe stay in the league with Robbie Neilson, or would you think ye have enough pull to get Hamilton from Norwich.

I think the club have a man thats too passive. He had good ideas but he doesnt have it to maintain those standards and they have dropped dramatically. Too protective of players for the wrong reasons aswell.

Celtic need a manager like Neil Lennon, an interim manager that lost to ross county but won the full time manager role because he ripped into the team and everything around it in an excellent and well measured post match interview.

Im not asking for Lennon to come back but he asked all the right questions of his players and the boardroom and did it publicly aswell as privately. Deila is publicly defending the mistakes of Ambrose so he cannot be asking the right questions of anyone with that mindset.

If you are looking for a name drop, i said Jackie McNamara when Lennon left and i still think it. He failed at Dundee United when the board sold his success, i think his skillset would get more from that squad than Deila is doing.

Robbie Neilsen is doing a fine job but his previous connections to hearts is helping him. He knows that club inside out, like Lennon at Celtic. Hamiltion from Norwich??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement