Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I hope we don't end up with Lennon back in the hot seat.
    Hope it's not Lennon. Moyes or Michael Laudrup would be good shouts. Paul Lambert did a good job at Norwich too
    Why not? Lennon did well the first time around. Won the league with plenty to spare and did reasonably well in Europe qualifying for the CL the last two seasons he was here.

There are other names to look at but with qualifiers coming up in the summer the board shouldn't spend too long making an appointment. Lennon would be a solid choice, a safe pair of hands and would know what to do right from the off. We'd qualify this summer for the CL with him, he'd hit the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

It's there for Jim McGuinness if he wants it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

ArielAtom wrote: »
    It's there for Jim McGuinness if he wants it;)

I don't think you'd be a million miles away with that shout to be honest. He's been doin his badges since moving there and has had a more hands on coaching role recently. If he didn't get it, I'd love to see him on the bench on a Saturday if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd like to see Moyes get the job; I think he could have a period of success similar to that enjoyed by O'Neill.

I'm looking forward to seeing who gets the role. Has Henrik Larsson's name been suggested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Some class shown by Delia in his press conference saying he would be leaving at the end of the season. In fairness to him I though he did well in his first season. Once we got on a roll we played some really fun to watch football and it was a really enjoyable season for me. This season sadly has been the direct opposite. I kept hoping based on last season we would get a performance that would ignite our season and we would go on a roll but obviously that never happened. We utterally failed to produce anything close to our best in almost every big game this season and much of the football has been less then inspiring to say the least.

Having said all the above Delia as I have said many times before was only put in charge for the same reasons we have been buying players of the standard of Ciftchi he was the cheap option. Unless there is a fundamental change in both makeup and attitude and ambition at the boardroom level then we are just going to be in for more of the same. We might have some good seasons like last year but we will never be able to build on it as this season has shown and was shown after Lennon built up a very good young side and then had to watch as it was dismantled on him. We stand at a real crossroads for me and a new manager is only one part of the equation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I really thought it would work out for Ronny but he's had time to make implement his plans and it simply isn't working. It's time for a new approach.

I still think he can do well as a manager and it's a real pity the idea of bringing him in as a No.2 and letting him grow into the responsibility of taking the reigns didn't get off the ground.

The guy has shown nothing but class in how he has handled himself and I really hope in a few years he is doing well and we are arguing over whether he could have been given more time. Right now that looks unlikely though.

All the best Ronny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Least shocking news in football, any manager could make Celtic win the league, he has made Celtic take a step back every year. See the usual names mentioned again. Id like to see them go for Lopetgui, let go by Porto but still think hed do a great job, or Rogers if ye could get him would implement a good style of football. Hoping ye dont get Moyes purely because I want him at the Villa

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Jim McGuinness would be yet another experiment. We've had too many of them recently.

We need a proven manager with a track record in Britain. Whether that be Lennon, Moyes or otherwise. RD (and the same for the likes of Larsson) should have been a #2 to a proven manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Deila to McGuinness would be another step in the wrong direction. John Kennedy is more experienced than him and he wont get the job

The board will appoint someone that will agree with their process and their contract will be written as such. So the poor signings that plagued Celtic in the past few years will continue.

An experienced manager is required for that squad of players though, not sure who though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I'd like Moyes to get the job, qualifier for champions League start in mid July again so whoever gets the job will have to hit the ground running, ideally have a couple of signings in before the euros start. A few players will be leaving no doubt and a big decision is needed about Brown maybe 1 more year left in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Green brigade display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

And one for the day that's in it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

damian139 wrote: »
    Green brigade display

Wish they'd get spelling lessons for the chief sign-writer!

Anyway, what they are getting at is only partially true. Unfortunately the league is a piss-poor product at the best of times, and that fact is largely out of the control of the likes of Lawwell and Desmond. No competition results in empty seats.

I take the point that the Deila experiment didn't work, and the signings have been very poor overall. The board are culpable on that front for sure, and I hope they realise that they will need to: (i) get a decent manager to replace Deila, and (ii) provide funds for that manager to replace some of the squad with better quality.

I expect the empty seats issue will be addressed somewhat by the promotion of Rangers FC to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Finished 1-1, just as well Aberdeen are doing a Hibs

The banners today

easter.jpg

image.jpg

gb2.jpg

Fair play to the Green Brigade in commemorating the 100th anniversary of Easter Week. The club should have made an official gesture in relation to that event.

As for the club and team, I reckon the rangers did us a favour last week, a wake up call. Will the board respond adequately? We need a proper manager and some decent investment, we should be punching our weight as a team and a club in Europe, we haven't been doing that at all over the last two years.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Fair play to the Green Brigade in commemorating the 100th anniversary of Easter Week. The club should have made an official gesture in relation to that event.

As for the club and team, I reckon the rangers did us a favour last week, a wake up call. Will the board respond adequately? We need a proper manager and some decent investment, we should be punching our weight as a team and a club in Europe, we haven't been doing that at all over the last two years.

Why would celtic fc commemorate the easter rising in ireland?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Why would celtic fc commemorate the easter rising in ireland?

Why wouldn't they? They had Michael Cusack and Eamon DeValera over in years gone by presenting flags and emblems. A once off gesture to commemorate the 100th anniversary of The Rising would be appropriate in my view given the connections between Celtic FC and Ireland. Do you agree.

Too much politics in football as it stands. By all means the club should celebrate their heritage and their history, but I think it would be cringe-worthy at best for Celtic as a club to officially commemorate the Easter Rising.

Couldn't care less if the GB do it, they can put up whatever banners they want so long as they fall within the rules.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they? They had Michael Cusack and Eamon DeValera over in years gone by presenting flags and emblems. A once off gesture to commemorate the 100th anniversary of The Rising would be appropriate in my view given the connections between Celtic FC and Ireland. Do you agree.

It would be very difficult for Celtic to endorse this considering the view in a large part of Scotland that commemorating the 1916 Rising is tantamount to supporting recent ISIS terrorist attacks in Paris and Brussels (a view shared by some on boards.ie!)

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    Too much politics in football as it stands. By all means the club should celebrate their heritage and their history, but I think it would be cringe-worthy at best for Celtic as a club to officially commemorate the Easter Rising.

Couldn't care less if the GB do it, they can put up whatever banners they want so long as they fall within the rules.

They wouldn't have to do a big thing like what you saw at Croke Park today, but a small mention of it wouldn't go amiss and wouldn't be at all cringeworthy. Celtic FC was founded at that time of cultural revolution in Ireland that culminated in The Rising and subsequent War of Independence. Celtic FC's history is very much connected with that revolutionary era that is being commemorated now. In Croke Park today there was contributions from Irish diaspora all over the world, Celtic FC is a part of that, of course it is.

It would be very difficult for Celtic to endorse this considering the view in a large part of Scotland that commemorating the 1916 Rising is tantamount to supporting recent ISIS terrorist attacks in Paris and Brussels (a view shared by some on boards.ie!)

I think a small gesture would be fine, from a "cultural" viewpoint. It wouldn't have to be anything like the ostentatious jingoism on display at Ibrox nearly every year on armed services day or whatever it is. Just highlights how bigoted a country Scotland is that a cultural gesture along the lines I outlined would be difficult for the club to have done.

Fair play to the Green Brigade for marking the Easter Rising and for calling out the board. For me again Delia leaving solves very little as it becomes more and more clear that it is Lawwell who really calls the shots and that his minimalist approach to everything at Celtic has lead us to the mess we find ourselves in right now more then anything else.
    Lawwell and the board have shown a real contempt for the support more and more in recent seasons the attempt to ignore and bury the resolution 12 issue being for me the final straw for me.
    We need those in the board who support Lawwell's minimalist approach as well as Lawwell himself to be replaced by a board that will fight tooth and nail to stand up for Celtic the resolution 12 issue being a priority. But beyond that a board that while I know we have financial limitations that looks to bring in a strong managerial structure that will actually be allowed to take control of the first team and run it with the boards role to actually be to do everything they can to support the first team not to derail it such as when this board basically sold off the very good young team Lennon built. I know that given our financial limitations there will always be mercenary type players who will come for a while and look to jump ship as soon as an epl wallet is waved in their direction no matter what the club. Fair enough I get that. But this board has gone way beyond that with their inflexible approach to how the money we do have is spent.
    The boad has down sized the team and the management to the point where if we continue as we are they will see a significant fall off in season tickets and revenue in general.

In many ways I feel sorry for Delia as I always have said he is just another product of the type of board which buys players on the cheap hoping it works out. They have done the same with the management. Delia tried his best and I hoped it would turn around for him but sadly it did not. But his leaving changes things very little as long as we have the same board running our club in the same manner with contempt for the fans and a first team that is run as cheaply as they think they can get away with. I should add that Lawwell's salary at about 1m gives him a salary comparable to CEO's in many of the clubs in the top 2 tiers down south. yet he demands a player budget which according to Lennon was even smaller then Boltan's!!! That needs to change and change radically.

Celtic's current structure is in place since MON left because he put the clubs finances in a woeful state and poor playing squad to show for it in the end. The club wont go back to that position. Scottish Football is in a poor place financially and the return of Rangers will not be the silver bullet that some think it will be. The new sky deal comes into effect next season and the stockpiling of players will continue in the direction of the English League Structure as EPL clubs will get more aggressive in the recruitment of players home and abroad. You'll see alot more Islam Feruz's than Kieran Tierney's.

The lessons to be learned by the board is that when you have a manager that is proving himself as Lennon was. You do more to back him and do whatever keep him happy instead of thinking that anyone can manage a team that is playing well. Also, they need to review their requirement policy, it has continually failed to get forwards of any quality. Its a clearly a systematic problem when you are continually bringing in completely shíte players. The right questions are not being asked of John Park etc. I'm not going to list all the players but thee waste of money amounts into tens of millions.

Deila cannot blame the boardroom or the hierarchy at the club for his failings. He had the players, he had the coaches, he had the facilities, the widest recruitment network and he had the biggest financial backing of any manager in Scottish Football. He took the squad backwards almost immediately by changing tactics too much when Lennon showed continuity was required for UCL qualifiers. He had a big say in the players that were signed and alot of them were shíte or mediocre.

Whatever about UCL performances and the gap between Scottish Football and the highest level and what case you can make for him losing key players at the wrong time, there is no excuse for the domestic performances of the most expensive playing squad in Scotland. He compromised on his own philosophy of high tempo football in the end and his teams were tactically clueless anytime they came up against a hungry team. I cant think of one inspiring Celtic performance during his tenure, nothing where you could say his team became more than the sum of their parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Good win today in the end after some indifferent play. Griffiths took his goal really well.

Aberdeen keep it mathematically alive and it will be nice to get the chance to officially wrap it up against them next week.

Celtic played well today and should have been 3 up in the first half. Nice goals all the same

• Advertisement

That was much more like it from Celtic this weekend. A very dominant display overall and a great way and place to go and win the title. Obviously officially we have to get something next weekend from Aberdeen but that is pretty much done now. Lots of good performances all over the park. McGregor looked very good on his return and Brown in fairness looked much more like his old self bossing and barking around the middle of the park. Lots of good performances and great scenes at the end as well.
    It has not been the season we hoped for but that was a quality performance to go about all but winning the league with.
    In a way I am glad Aberdeen did win this weekend though as now we still need a result next weekend against them to make it 100% official. More of the same please Celtic and lets win this 5th title in a row with some style at least at the end.

Congrats to both Leigh Griffiths and Kieran Tierney for winning the player of the year awards. Both very well deserved for them and hopefully lots more to come from them both for many years yet in a Celtic jersey.

Safe standing being introduced in a section of the Lisbon Lions stand for the start of next season using the rail seat system.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36205523

https://twitter.com/BBCSportScot/status/728219713164197888

New home kit for next season officially launched.

13133267_1193800747326495_308307328569102612_n.jpg?oh=b1044c5d64d67c0ccab50e24d6161066&oe=57E484D5

Safe standing being introduced in a section of the Lisbon Lions stand for the start of next season using the rail seat system.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36205523

https://twitter.com/BBCSportScot/status/728219713164197888

British Football, welcome to the 21st century!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Great goal by Roberts, he'll be a big player for us next season

RoryMac wrote: »
    Great goal by Roberts, he'll be a big player for us next season

Just a pity that we'll get him primed then he'll be whisked back to ManC so they can flog him to Southampton

3-2 today with Celtic throwing away a 3-0 lead after some sloppy defending in the early 2nd half

Game of 2 halfs really. First half we were excellent and 2 brilliantly taken goals from Roberts. It looked like we were going to run up a big score when we carved them up for Lustig to make it 3-0 early in the second half but we seem to just switch off at that point and before we woke up again it was 3-2. Although at least we were able to shut things down and seeing out the closing stages. McGregor I thought looked very good once again in the middle of the park. He really has been one of the bright spots of the season along with Tierney and Griffiths.

Game of 2 halfs really. First half we were excellent and 2 brilliantly taken goals from Roberts. It looked like we were going to run up a big score when we carved them up for Lustig to make it 3-0 early in the second half but we seemed to just switch off at that point and before we woke up again it was 3-2. Although at least we were able to shut things down and see out the closing stages. McGregor I thought looked very good once again in the middle of the park. He really has been one of the bright spots of the season along with Tierney and Griffiths.

Lost 2-1 against St Johnstone tonight. Very good goal from Griffiths for his 40th goal this season to make it 0-1 then two absolute howlers from Johansen and Ambrose to gift goals to St. Johnstone.

Lost 2-1 against St Johnstone tonight. Very good goal from Griffiths for his 40th goal this season to make it 0-1 then two absolute howlers from Johansen and Ambrose to gift goals to St. Johnstone.

Yeah the Johansen howler especially gave St Johnstone a way back into a game we were dominating.

I was impressed with Christie in the first half but he faded as the game went on but that's probably to be expected with his lack of games.

Tonight's game really just showed that the time should be up for Ambrose & Johansen which we knew already. Also showed that even with the league wonwe don't have a striker to backup Griffiths

Two absolute howlers from Johansen and Ambrose to put it mildly. Sumed up the game really. We spent most of it going through the motions not really all that interested. I was disappointed with Christie and Allen on the night as I hoped to see something positive from both of them. I know they are rusty not having played for so long but I really didn't see anything from them last night and was hoping to at least have some glimpses of quality. Janko at right back was at least solid defensively all evening if also a bit rusty.

3-0 at HT, Celtic absolutely dominating Motherwell

1-0 Tierney
    https://vid.me/EZRN

2-0 Rogic
    https://vid.me/Z5Ay

3-0 Lustig
    https://vid.me/snKl

Handball & Peno not given
    https://vid.me/KRFL

Christie miss (this will give you the shivers!)
    https://vid.me/844d

XdmNXGv.png

A pathetic performance from Motherwell, they should all be fined for that effort.

EDIT:

6-0 with 30 minutes to go. I hope Celtic keep up their level of performance. Maybe they can get a few more players onto the scoresheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Motherwell are definitely on holidays :D

Jack Aitchison, youngest ever Celt and Youngest ever goalscorer within 3 minutes of being on the field :pac:

4-0 Armstrong
    https://vid.me/YBGR

5-0 Roberts
    https://twitter.com/MCFClnfo/status/731830036156809216

6-0 Christie
    https://vid.me/x7iz

and 16 year old Aitchison makes it 7, what a script
    https://vid.me/avub

What a script indeed! Loved every minute of that. :)

Feel for Deila tbh, nice guy but just didn't bring enough to Celtic. I wish him all the best in his career though and hopefully he'll find a good match. I think a lot of people fail to understand the immense pressure that managing a team like Celtic comes with. The league might be not great in terms of quality but the expectations are so high, and our predicament is relatively unique.

Sad to see Izzy move on also, he's been a great servant to Celtic over the years. Glad we have a top notch player in his position in young Tierney.

As for Aitchison - what a debut. Just brilliant from such a young lad. Oozing confidence.

CHAMPIONS!!!!

celtic.jpg

celtic_2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Looking forward to next season.

Rangers will be back and the Old Firm Derbies will be as intense as ever.

Celtic under achieved this season and Delia was not the right man for next season.

I wish Ronny success in what he does after this, it is such a pity that it did not work out as I liked the way he handled himself over the 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Brendan Rodgers in talks for the Celtic job.

Brendan Rodgers in talks for the Celtic job.

I'd be delighted if we got Rodgers but I'd be surprised if we can offer what he wants in terms of transfer budget & wages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Id be happy getting Rodgers.
    Just hope there's no truth in the Keane rumours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement