Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

HT Celtic 1 - 1 Wolfsburg

McGregor equaliser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Finished 2-1

Christie winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

That was much more like it. Granted it was only a friendly but I thought we played quite well particuarly in the first half where we really got after the game right from the off. McGregor stood out for me not just for his superly taken goal but his all round energy and quality with the ball. He has to start on Wednesday for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well I was away for the first leg of the Imps match, thankfully. Had forgotten it was on, only reminded by my brother-in-law who broke the bad news to me when he was checking the news. Piss poor result, let's hope it's just a blip and that we can come away with a convincing win tomorrow.

Usual story for first Euro game of a new manager. I'm not that concerned about it tbh, tomorrow is the real test. Absolutely imperative that we get the required win tomorrow, it's about pride as much as progressing to the next stage of the qualifiers for me. If we get the 2 goal win, last week will be forgotten about. If not, we'll be hearing about it for years. Players should not need any extra encouragement to demolish the Imps.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Celtic will take about 4-5 off this mob tonight

Its nearly a sell out which is incredible for a an early qualifier tie ..Probably will be the biggest crowd in europe until the group stages start just shows the support Celtic Fc can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

laois gael wrote: »
    Celtic will take about 4-5 off this mob tonight

Its nearly a sell out which is incredible for a an early qualifier tie ..Probably will be the biggest crowd in europe until the group stages start just shows the support Celtic Fc can get.

Well as its included on season tickets it is sure going to help. And yes of course Celtic will hammer this team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Astana it is so, IF we beat imps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Can someone PM me a link if they find one?

This eir2 isint that easy to find! :(

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Just found one. Celtic should have just got a peno.

• 2-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Decent 1st half from us & 3 nil up, hopefully chances in the 2nd half for Dembele to get a goal to kick-start him.

Hard to read too much into it bar it makes our performance last week look even worse with how bad this lot are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

RoryMac wrote: »
    Decent 1st half from us & 3 nil up, hopefully chances in the 2nd half for Dembele to get a goal to kick-start him.

Hard to read too much into it bar it makes our performance last week look even worse with how bad this lot are

Playing on grass may have made a big difference this week

Playing on grass may have made a big difference this week

Maybe but not enough to justify last week's performance

Standing area looks great, will make a big difference to the atmosphere at games I'd say

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Emilio? ?? Thought he was gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

PauloMN wrote: »
    Emilio? ?? Thought he was gone!

wishful thinking, hopefully 5 or 6 can be offloaded before the season starts. Also get rid of Ambrose even if we have to pay them to take him.

franklyon wrote: »
    wishful thinking, hopefully 5 or 6 can be offloaded before the season starts. Also get rid of Ambrose even if we have to pay them to take him.

Add Ciftci to that please. Hopeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Alof of going through the motions tonight and if they managed to score a goal early, I think that team would have imploded as they dont have the creativity or technical ability to deal with teams parking the bus and dealing with that is something Celtic teams need to be very good at.

Rodgers has a mountain of work to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

RoryMac wrote: »

Roberts obviously should have played last week.

• Advertisement

First leg next Wednesday at 3 pm, presume BT or PREMIER will pick it up.

Would people be happy with Duffy if we sign him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Kolo Toure having medical at Celtic.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36873865

Badabing wrote: »
    Would people be happy with Duffy if we sign him?

Its debatable whether he would be an improvement over Efe Ambrose. He's a decent defender but prone to lapses of concentration
    mikeym wrote: »
    Kolo Toure having medical at Celtic.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36873865

His best days are behind him but a good option for short term cover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Celtic been very good to watch today. Encouraging signs for celtic fans I presume?

Another loss, Rodgers has to go

• Advertisement

If you stay sharpening that knife, you'll wear it down into a nub ;):pac:

Dempsey wrote:
    If you stay sharpening that knife, you'll wear it down into a nub

Apparently Celtic played well so confidence will be high going into Wednesday's game, as per every European game keep the home leg alive and we should be ok. Hope we can sign up Roberts permanently.

They did play well but wednesday will be a different kettle of fish. Id be happy with a draw out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Dempsey wrote: »

His best days are behind him but a good option for short term cover

As cover? Surely when fully match fit he'll walk onto the team?

• Advertisement

So folks... what do you make of this afternoon's game v Astana?

Would be quite happy with a score draw to take back home, but these are games Celtic usually struggle in. Think we've upped the game since the away game in Gibraltar so that's a positive, but the combination of plastic pitch, the long trip and our defensive problems could mean we'll struggle. A narrow defeat won't be the end of the world - would still like to score over there though.

Why is Toure not playing today? Thought we had a "wildcard" option to include one late registered player, and seems to be he'd have been ideal for this game.

On the bright side, their captain Tanat Nusserbayev - and one of their top scorers - is out injured according to this.

I'll go for a 1-1 and hope we can turn it on next week at CP.

I reckon it'll be very tough to get a result out there especially with Ambrose& O'Connell in defence.

Won't get to see it with work but hopefully they can get something from the game even to lose by a goal but get an away goal

Typical start to Celtic away tie, goal down from a poorly defended corner kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Typical start to Celtic away tie, goal down from a poorly defended corner kick.

Craig Gordon was very poor. He can shake his head all he likes and give out to players but he was nearly at the half way line when that ball came in.

Dreadful goalkeeping.

Roberts looking like the only hope of a Celtic attack - he's excellent when he's up there with the ball. Defensively we are all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Typical start for a Brendan Rogers managed team, goal down from a poorly defended corner kick.
    FYP

The one thing I'm seeing here that might benefit Celtic if they realise it is how slow a lot of the Astana players are. They should be just going at them keeping the ball and they will get somebody sent off and/or get a couple of goals I think.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The one thing I'm seeing here that might benefit Celtic if they realise it is how slow a lot of the Astana players are. They should be just going at them keeping the ball and they will get somebody sent off and/or get a couple of goals I think.

Have you seen the fouls that the ref has let go so far on Roberts?

I'll take a 1-0 loss at this stage.

There's the equaliser, I think they will win it from here.

• Advertisement

1-1, Griffiths.

Great result in Fairness, hopefully we complete the job next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Reckon Kolo will be huge for you. He was our best defender last season, reckon by stepping down to the SPL, he can have another 1-2 seasons as a regular.

1-1 at FT, happy with that without seeing any of the game. I believe this lot are decent on the road but we should have a few defenders back for next week

FT 1-1.

Will take that back to CP. Some improvement needed still, but overall Celtic did ok. Good from the young lads - Roberts, Tierney and O'Connell. Ambrose a mixed bag, some errors but also some good defending. The lads up front not getting much service.

Ref performance one of the worst I've seen in a while. Allowed persistent fouling on Roberts, not calling offside towards the end on a clear offside, clear foul on Griffiths not given, lost control at the end. Didn't see the penalty not given incident, would be interested to see the replay of that.

Confident we can get the win at home if we keep the heads.

eagle eye wrote: »
    FYP

It is a trait at Celtic a long time before Rodgers came in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

Decent performance and a decent result in what was always going to be a tough assignment given the logistical aspect of the game and the fact they are 20 odd games into their season so naturally in mid season flow. Hopefully now we can finish the job in the return leg at home. Still work to be done but I would have taken a 1-1 draw beforehand so I am pleased enough with that. Lets not forget that last season while Astana did not win a game in the group stages they firstly got there and secondly drew all 3 games at home against Athlectio Madrid, Galatasary and Benfica so these guys clearly are a very tough team to knock off at home.

Should have put money on Ambrose own goal lol!

Ambrose should be paying the club to play at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Will the Celtic/Astana game be on Tv?

No mention of it so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement