Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance for 31 year old and/or ill mother?

Options
  • 27-04-2015 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Hi

A quick medical history in case it would help advising me - if not please skip the following two paragraphs.

I am 31 years old and treated maybe six to eight times a year with phlebotomy for haemochromatosis, meet with the consultant one or twice a year, and I have an ultrasound once a year. I also have alpha1-antitrypsin deficiency though I am asymptomatic. I see a consultant for this once or twice a year, and once a year I have a breathing test and attend for x-ray. Non drinker, light smoker (though quitting soon - really). I work part time and study full time and thus qualify for a medical card which I believe expires next year - I do not have it on me right now.

My mother is 59 years old and a year or so ago her nose/chest became very congested. The doctors she has been seeing have been trying different things but it sounds to me like nobody really knows what the issue is, it is quite worrying. She meets with a consultant for this once or twice a year. She has never smoked and she would have a single drink of alcohol once in a blue moon. She is out of work so in possession of a medical card also.

I know that the May 1st deadline is for those aged 35 and older but would there be any benefit to getting 'on the ladder' at 31, or is this something that can definitely wait until I am 34 without penalty? I cannot complain about the treatment I receive for my two illnesses, and with my medical card this costs me nothing. If I had private insurance I would lose access to the clinic where I receive phlebotomy. I think I would also lose my medical card, as this makes sense...

Regarding my mother if she would get better care with reduced waiting times could you please recommend some plans? It would have to cover everything her medical card does as I think she would also lose it if she had private cover. Recently she told me she had a suggestion for her consultant regarding her care and when I asked her when she would next see him she told me not for months.

Advertisement