Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any restrictions on importing tarantulas from the UK?

Options
  • 27-04-2015 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys :) I have a big interest in tarantulas and after learning about them for countless hours, I've decided to get one of my own :D Thing is, the prices here seem to be a bit unreasonable and I'm not sure how much I trust local pet stores with this kind of thing, y'know? I'm also interested in a specimen that isn't as common as say G.rosea or B.smithi, which seem to be the only ones regular pet shops sell. I plan to purchase from a very reputable UK seller. According to the bit of research I've done, as far as I'm aware, there are no legal implications with this, but I just wanted to ask here incase anybody more knowledgeable than me could shed some light. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP,
    I'll move your enquiry to our sub-forum for less common beasties, hopefully someone there can help you.
    All the best,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sylvi1960

Hiya :D

No there aren't any restrictions with importing T's into Ireland. Most of the UK traders will happily post them over. I live in the UK (moving to Co. Cork in the summer), have bred some species in the past and have successfully posted slings and roaches over. I only had one disaster which was an af P.antinous, a large heavy girl who got lost and took ages to arrive. The others all arrived quickly safe and sound so I'd pick slings or juvs. The postage is dear so maybe order a few at once and consider a starter dubia colony as well unless you are near to a ready supply of crickets.

If you want some forum links and more info or help on different species, ideas, care etc run me a pm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sylvi1960

Sylvi1960 wrote: »
    Hiya :D

No there aren't any restrictions with importing T's into Ireland. Most of the UK traders will happily post them over. I live in the UK (moving to Co. Cork in the summer), have bred some species in the past and have successfully posted slings and roaches over. I only had one disaster which was an af P.antinous, a large heavy girl who got lost and took ages to arrive. The others all arrived quickly safe and sound so I'd pick slings or juvs. The postage is dear so maybe order a few at once and consider a starter dubia colony as well unless you are near to a ready supply of crickets.

If you want some forum links and more info or help on different species, ideas, care etc run me a pm :D

Just adding to my post above, if they are on the CITES list you officially need to have some paperwork to say where they are bred. The Brachypelma's I had sent over to the UK from Germany were all German bred and came with their paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kp1203

Sylvi1960 wrote: »
    Just adding to my post above, if they are on the CITES list you officially need to have some paperwork to say where they are bred. The Brachypelma's I had sent over to the UK from Germany were all German bred and came with their paperwork.

Hi! So I realise this question was asked and answered a long time ago, but it didnt feel right not to thank you. I made this account just to ask this question then kinda forgot about it :D But thank you again for your answer :) Here I am a couple months later with 7 Ts and another 2 on the way! This hobby is so addictive :D

Advertisement