Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plugging in

Options
  • 27-04-2015 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

Bit of a story here, but it's something that I wonder about, etiquette wise!

I was having a coffee in a 'city centre' cafe the other day (I won't get too specific as it was a fairly negative experience, but it's a newer business) and overheard/saw the following:

A woman came in and asked if there was a good table to sit at with a socket, as she had a meeting with someone and her laptop needed to be plugged in to work. The waitress said no, none of the tables had sockets. The woman came back from using the bathroom, and said it was grand, there was a table free and she had spotted a socket, there was one! She started to say "can I have a..." to order, when the waitress interrupted her and said "you can't use the socket".

The woman looked a bit shocked and explained she was ordering something. She was again refused. The woman asked to speak to the owner who was there and he said yes, people can't use the sockets because "they sit over a tea all day and plug everything in". At this point it's probably worth mentioning that they have "free wifi" signs on the window and inside (I was on wifi on my phone).

I guess the woman had already arranged to meet someone there and seemed reluctant to move, so she went on to say that she and her friend would be eating, would it not be different if they ordered food? Eventually the owner agreed and the woman placed an order and went up to the table somewhere upstairs. She came down a minute later and said the sockets weren't working. "Yes, I've switched them off" said the owner. "you can use this for a short time" He pointed to a socket halfway up a bare wall near none of the seats, so you couldn't put a device anywhere. The woman was obviously annoyed and cancelled her order (which he hadn't started) and left.

She'd ordered two meals and teas. Personally I think this guy is putting people off by penny saving like this. It's a pity, as it's a newer business (It definitely put me right off going in there, seeing the way he dealt with that).
    This hit home as my own laptop has a poor battery, and sometimes I do plug it in (always after asking the staff) if I need to use it in town.
    Even if I stay a while, I am always mindful to order a couple of times. If it's a pub, I move if it gets packed, or work while ordering like a regular customer. I know some people take the p*ss with free stuff, but surely if a customer is buying something, not letting them plug in is really penny pinching?
    I'd even be happy to pay a euro or something for electricity - what do people think about plugging in etiquette?
    Bear in mind that it won't be people at every table. A lot of the buildings are old and don't have many sockets, so if someone is already sitting at 'the plug' table, that's it anyway.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Name the place

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

On a related note, one of our staff was in a hotel lobby after a meeting. Realising he had a few minutes to spare, he plugged in a slightly troublesome laptop charger. Had to wiggle it to get it working sometimes.

Plugged in, and all the sockets nearby went off. Hotel staff rushing around apologising to guests. Staff member quietly packs up laptop and leaves.

If there isn't a sign saying you're welcome to charge your devices there, then I wouldn't be expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Name the place

Nah. I just won't be going there again.

MarkR wrote: »
    On a related note, one of our staff was in a hotel lobby after a meeting. Realising he had a few minutes to spare, he plugged in a slightly troublesome laptop charger. Had to wiggle it to get it working sometimes.

Plugged in, and all the sockets nearby went off. Hotel staff rushing around apologising to guests. Staff member quietly packs up laptop and leaves.

If there isn't a sign saying you're welcome to charge your devices there, then I wouldn't be expecting it.

There also isn't a sign saying 'free wifi' in every place, but there often is. The sign usually implies they are laptop friendly.

I should clarify - I don't mean a dodgy electronic device. Mine just has an inferior battery that doesn't always hold a good charge. I'd never plug in an iffy device!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's a bit short sighted on the owners part but he's perfectly entitled to say no, just as his customers are perfectly entitled to go somewhere else.

It was daft of him to turn away what sounds like someone doing a business meeting. They tend to get proper meals because they're on expenses, if they like the place they'll become regulars and tell other business people to go there. If anything this should have put a lightbulb above his head and had him installing plugs at every table.

As they're just open they may just have a lot to learn. You don't turn away business over a few cents of electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't go back, OP.

Personally I would never ask the staff. I spot a table, order/buy, and plug in. I'm very conscious of not table hogging though, especially in smaller places.

Don't go back, OP.

Personally I would never ask the staff. I spot a table, order/buy, and plug in. I'm very conscious of not table hogging though, especially in smaller places.

Just curious why you wouldn't ask the staff Mrs O'B?

Actually I'd amend the part I said about always asking staff. If I know the person on and have done it before, or if someone regularly plugs in somewhere, I might not bug them by asking. I've never been asked to 'unplug'.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's a bit short sighted on the owners part but he's perfectly entitled to say no, just as his customers are perfectly entitled to go somewhere else.

It was daft of him to turn away what sounds like someone doing a business meeting. They tend to get proper meals because they're on expenses, if they like the place they'll become regulars and tell other business people to go there. If anything this should have put a lightbulb above his head and had him installing plugs at every table.

As they're just open they may just have a lot to learn. You don't turn away business over a few cents of electricity.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. Without going in to too much detail, someone else said they'd been run from sitting there when their drink was finished and didn't feel it was fair. I suspect they might be struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The poor cafe owner has a lot to learn, the cost of charging an iphone per hour is less then 0.5c. While I would to some degree share his annoyance over table hoggers, Starbucks were asked if their free Wifi caused table hogging and to my suprise they found that by and large it didnt.

Seriously bad judgement on his part very shorsighted , I simply wouldnt go there again.

Its easy enough to move the table hoggers on if they are causing an issue but in this instance he lost two sales and any future business that those ladies might bring.

I wouldnt ask if I could plug in my phone or laptop either, place my order plug in and away I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I wouldn't blame the owner, I've often had to leave places because the wait for a table was too long while there's people sitting on a 4 seater with headphones in sipping on a coffee.

There are a lot of small premises in Galway that can't afford to have tables used up for long periods of time while someone catches up on their Facebook feed. It's not the cost of the electricity that's the problem.

It also kills the atmosphere in a small cafe if several people are sitting staring at laptops.

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame the owner, I've often had to leave places because the wait for a table was too long while there's people sitting on a 4 seater with headphones in sipping on a coffee.

There are a lot of small premises in Galway that can't afford to have tables used up for long periods of time while someone catches up on their Facebook feed. It's not the cost of the electricity that's the problem.

It also kills the atmosphere in a small cafe if several people are sitting staring at laptops.

I agree to a certain extent about people hogging tables, but it wasn't the case here. I'm also aware that some places don't 'cultivate' laptop users and others do. Putting big 'free wifi' signs does imo. On the day in question the place had three customers including myself seated inside! All the other tables were free. The point this guy made WAS about electricity, not Internet usage. He has done himself no favours IMO. On a side note the place is quite low on atmosphere anyway, and quiet - which is probably why that woman picked it for a meeting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

inisboffin wrote: »
    Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. Without going in to too much detail, someone else said they'd been run from sitting there when their drink was finished and didn't feel it was fair. I suspect they might be struggling.

I've had lots of these types of experiences where someone who shouldn't be near the public at all make a right fool of themselves with their hysterical notions. usually within a short space of time they've pi$$ed through their savings/loan/redundancy and their business that could have been a real success with a better attitude is closed. Pity really as they only have themselves to blame

There also isn't a sign saying 'free wifi' in every place, but there often is. The sign usually implies they are laptop friendly.

I should clarify - I don't mean a dodgy electronic device. Mine just has an inferior battery that doesn't always hold a good charge. I'd never plug in an iffy device!

Yes, but how does the person running the place know that what you are plugging in isn't faulty?

Yes, but how does the person running the place know that what you are plugging in isn't faulty?

They don't. Same as they don't know if their own devices develop a fault.
    But again, that was not the owner's issue. His issue was people 'using his electricity'.

They don't. Same as they don't know if their own devices develop a fault.
    But again, that was not the owner's issue. His issue was people 'using his electricity'.

Fair enough. If that's their only issue, it's a bit miserly!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A faulty device isn't necessarily going to do any harm to the electricity supply. a faulty laptop or charger is just not going to work rather than cause any damage to the restaurants wiring.

Advertisement