Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poseurs Seem to Be Cycling Now !!

• 27-04-2015 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭

You know the sort... Seen the finish of a club race last Thursday. The fella that won was a man's man.. Unshaven face and legs - Jersey bore the marks of many a skirmish with the scenery. A well scuffed Trek carbon He came over the line a totally busted man having gave his all and more for the final sprint.

What followed is what I can only describe as a catwalk of tanned legs - highlights, super expensive spotless bikes. Some even had pink socks up to their shins. Hardly out of breath and more worried about how they and their bike looked than trying to win a race. I thought women were bad on a night out but these lads really took the biscuit. Who are they trying to impress ? Themselves obviously....!

Is this the state of affairs we find ourselves in now ? - Big Show with No Go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Pics or it didn't happen (as they say) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,169 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you can't be fast, look fast.

Do you have a link to the pink socks? They sound lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Probably triathletes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yarisbob wrote: »
    ...Unshaven face and legs - Jersey bore the marks of many a skirmish with the scenery. A well scuffed Trek carbon ...
    That's just another form of posing in reverse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

That's just another form of posing in reverse!

A hipster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

A hipster

BvTkX3JCEAAeaay.png:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Has a beard? Must be a "hipster" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭fillup

TINWOP

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Lumen wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the pink socks? They sound lovely.

Pink socks can only be Rapha's:
    http://www.rapha.cc/eu/en/shop/pro-team-socks---long/product/PSK02LN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

stas wrote: »
    Only €20? Is that for individual socks, or a pair?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

There's times I wish this little island was closer to the continent, geographically and culturally.

However, there's no excuse for pink knee socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Has a beard? Must be a "hipster" :rolleyes:

Ive a beard, and can assure you I'm no hipster.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Note to self, get rid of tan and stop washing bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Note to self, get rid of tan and stop washing bike.

You're fooling nobody you ponce! :P

I think it's the opposite in mountain biking, did an event last year where the guy took the bike out of the car already covered in mud, the oddest thing, like he had to show he used it already.

Saying that my bike frame hasn't been cleaned in a while, just the components, my god, I'm becoming just like them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

what club was it? tell us so we can cycberbully to shame for not wearing full pink leg warmers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

When was cycling ever not for poseurs?

anquetil.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Only €20? Is that for individual socks, or a pair?

Per toe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ive a beard, and can assure you I'm no hipster.
    ;)

No no, I mean everybody thinks you're a hipster because you have a beard. Why does having a beard = hipster? I don't even have a fixie :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

No no, I mean everybody thinks you're a hipster because you have a beard. Why does having a beard = hipster? I don't even have a fixie :P

Have you taken your typewriter to the park?

. Unshaven face and legs - Jersey bore the marks of many a skirmish with the scenery. A well scuffed Trek carbon...
    Sounds like he is just a lazy bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You know the sort... Seen the finish of a club race last Thursday. The fella that won was a man's man.. Unshaven face and legs - Jersey bore the marks of many a skirmish with the scenery. A well scuffed Trek carbon He came over the line a totally busted man having gave his all and more for the final sprint.

What followed is what I can only describe as a catwalk of tanned legs - highlights, super expensive spotless bikes. Some even had pink socks up to their shins. Hardly out of breath and more worried about how they and their bike looked than trying to win a race. I thought women were bad on a night out but these lads really took the biscuit. Who are they trying to impress ? Themselves obviously....!

I think judging people on their appearances is really depressing and reductive. Cycling is a hobby for the vast and overwhelming majority, if not all, club league contenders. Life is hard enough without judging and getting wound up/annoyed by your hobby, that you choose to do for pleasure.

I keep my race bikes spotless. I love them dearly, and I can't afford to replace them. They are my pride and joy, and I keep them accordingly. That is my choice. They're not fancy but they are clean. I haven't the funds to keep my bikes or my kit badly, dirty etc. I cycle on a tiny budget and do everything I can to keep what I have in the best condition possible, because it has to last.

Also less of the negative, reductive gender stereotypes also please, it's not the 50's anymore, making silly, old-fashioned statements like "I thought women were bad on a night out but these lads really took the biscuit." have no place in 2015.

In short, no need to be so judgmental. Enjoy your racing, and stop comparing people. It's a pointless road to nowhere. Cycling is what you make it, it should be (ultimately, when you get the breath back and the pain in the legs recedes!) fun!

gadetra wrote: »
    ...I keep my race bikes spotless...
    Apart from being aesthetically pleasing, a spotless bike makes spotting defects, hairline cracks etc. much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

So because some people can afford to and choose to spend more money than others on equipment and clothing and shave and don't cross the line in a heap with a bird's nest on their face they are posing for adoration? Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

daragh_ wrote: »
    BvTkX3JCEAAeaay.png:large

Maybe cut down on the caffeine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

I'm a long time involved in cycling and the one thing I always liked about it was that many people from different backgrounds mixed together with no sense of snobbery or judgement about others, other than, could they ride their bike and how they behaved in races.. and as we were told years ago, you mightn't be a Pro but you can always look like a pro with clean bike, polished shoes, clean socks. So live and let live and enjoy the differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Sounds like he is just a lazy bastard.

I have a beard, unshaven legs, nearly always dirty bike and no respect to at least 10 rules.

"Lazy bastard" - I like it! :D

(I was contemplating creating a new club once: "Hairy Guns")
    "I thought women were bad on a night out but these lads really took the biscuit." have no place in 2015.

Aww, c'mon. Have you been around Temple Bar on friday night in 2015? Or ever? ;)

Alek wrote: »
    Aww, c'mon. Have you been around Temple Bar on friday night in 2015? Or ever? ;)

Alek :mad:
    I am very familiar with both, and my point still stands. No need for sexism.

Back on topic, hairy with dirty bike, clean shaven with clean bike, hairy with clean bike or whatever it doesn't matter a shyte. As CramCycle said in another thread "we're all friends on two wheels" (ok it was a different context but point still stands). We share a common interest, a hobby, and IMO there's nothing to be gained by being unecessarily divisive.

Not every cyclist is a lovely person, you get dicks in every walk of life, the kit doesn't mark them out, they come in clean and dirty bike, shaven and unshaven!

You're not a lazy bastard Alek, you cycle the way you cycle and shouldn't be judged for it, no one should.

ETA: Rules schmules. Life really is too short for aesthetic restrictions. Hail to the mob!

I am very familiar with both, and my point still stands. No need for sexism.

I agree, no need. But... :) I'd better stop now. Happy to chat about it live, internet is too imperfect medium for discussions about important/sensitive things.
    You're not a lazy bastard Alek

Seriosuly I know I am not, but I like taking myself with a grain of salt or two.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That fella who won is a disgrace. Should be stripped of his win and then stripped of his disgusting epidermal hirsutity

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would have thought the main issue with beards while racing would be aerodynamics?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

My bike is also very clean.........well it is after I have got the butler to wash it.
    As for the kit............well i have one of those magic baskets, you know the sort? You put dirty washing in it and miraculous appears in my drawers all clean and folded.

errrrr, no really lads, who cares, just get out and ride.....life is too short!

P.s I also have a beard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭LeoD

As long as his elbows and knees were in, I could nearly forgive the dirty bike. The hairy legs are a disgrace no matter what way you look at it though.

The hairy legs are a disgrace no matter what way you look at it though.

I dare to disagree.

More, I have the same feelings towards men's shaved legs, but I guess I am a minority here :P

Apart from being aesthetically pleasing, a spotless bike makes spotting defects, hairline cracks etc. much easier.

Bloody cream puffs with their avoiding serious bodily injury. Why in my day you weren't allowed to call yourself a mam until you'd had at least one full body cast, grumble grumble Jeremy Clarkson.

@gadetra stop attacking our fragile men's rights!

#oppression

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Explaining why you shave your legs but don't shave your face is a tricky one tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Best pair of socks I own:

DeFeet-Aireator-6-Sako7-Socks-Cycling-Socks-Pink-Stripes-SS14-DEF-SAKOPNS101.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

My inspiration was Wham! (the bar, not the band).

I'm not fast, my primary concern is indeed just to look good, so I can't really disagree with the OP. I suppose I just wonder why it bothers him so much, does he secretly want to be part of the pink sock brigade? Does it matter? I mean, if it swells the ranks of cycling Ireland's members and thus leads to more money to put into development of talented young riders, why should you care if some people want to wear pink socks or not?

#StraightUpForPinkSocksInCyling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭LeoD

Pink socks are perfectly okay - as long as you match them up with some additional pink detailing such as collar/sleeve trim. Pink detailing could be extended to the bike also - perhaps the bar tape but that should perhaps be left to the pros.

Feeling a bit left out with my lack of beard. I have to wait another few decades before the menopause sorts that one out :D

I have pink socks, and once I wore the two of them at the same time! Then they settled into the single/poly life in my sock drawer. None of my socks indulge in monogamous relationships. This may make up for my lack of beard!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Bloody cream puffs with their avoiding serious bodily injury. Why in my day you weren't allowed to call yourself a mam until you'd had at least one full body cast, grumble grumble Jeremy Clarkson.

@gadetra stop attacking our fragile men's rights!

#oppression

I just like that you typed mam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭QueensGael

giro14-st19-quintana-1-630x419.jpg

State of yer man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

reminds me of this guy

granty1987 wrote: »
    I just like that you typed mam

I thought about fixing it but decided it worked just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Hipsters? In Ireland?

Don't you have to drink PBR to be a hipster?

Please tell me PBR hasn't arrived.

hipster-beard-pbr-300x199.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

QueensGael wrote: »

State of yer man

He's paid to wear that, I would too for that money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

I keep telling ye lads, Our sport is being over run by well scrubbed pseudo middle class twits!!!! Oh Yesssss indeed, cycling is the new golf.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

The irony of complaining about people obsessed with aesthetics and then spelling poser with an additional "u"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

OP

Bene-1.jpg

Advertisement