Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulsterbank - International Transfer Issue

Options
  • 27-04-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

OK so about three weeks ago I went into my local Ulsterbank branch to make an international payment to China. Everything seemed to go OK but after about a week the person I sent it to said that they didn't receive it.

I called the bank and they said as it was sent over the Easter holidays to give it a few extra days before contacting them again. Few more days passed but still no sign of it in China so I rang again and they did a trace. Trace report came back about two days later and confirmed they have received the money but the person in China still say they didn't receive it.

I then asked for a confirmation slip and it turns out that the bank teller left out three letters "OSA" from the start of the account number. I asked why she left it out and she said that she seen the letters but left them out because as as far as she was aware they only used letters for accounts with IBAN and China doesn't have IBAN.

Did a bit of Googling and it looks like it might be a common enough issue. This is taken from another Chinese website
    Please note that OSA is an essential part of the account number. Without writing OSA we are NOT able to receive the money finally.

(can't post link as new user)

The bank reopened the trace and added that the letters "OSA" should have been put at the start. That was over a week ago and I haven't heard anything back. The money hasn't been returned nor received.

Are the bank at fault here and what should my next course of action be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well you confirm the transfer and are asked if all the information inputting is correct. So they will probably say that.

The lack of communications regarding the issue is unacceptable and I'd make a complaint. Ensuring you get a complaint reference number so they actually recorded it. Then follow it up daily with the branches SQA.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

OK so about three weeks ago I went into my local Ulsterbank branch to make an international payment to China. Everything seemed to go OK but after about a week the person I sent it to said that they didn't receive it.

I called the bank and they said as it was sent over the Easter holidays to give it a few extra days before contacting them again. Few more days passed but still no sign of it in China so I rang again and they did a trace. Trace report came back about two days later and confirmed they have received the money but the person in China still say they didn't receive it.

I then asked for a confirmation slip and it turns out that the bank teller left out three letters "OSA" from the start of the account number. I asked why she left it out and she said that she seen the letters but left them out because as as far as she was aware they only used letters for accounts with IBAN and China doesn't have IBAN.

Did a bit of Googling and it looks like it might be a common enough issue. This is taken from another Chinese website

(can't post link as new user)

The bank reopened the trace and added that the letters "OSA" should have been put at the start. That was over a week ago and I haven't heard anything back. The money hasn't been returned nor received.

Are the bank at fault here and what should my next course of action be?

A little from column A and B. Bank staff cannot have knowledge of each and every country routing formats as the vary wildly across the globe. Unless you specifically instructed them to include it and they ignored it then you have to shoulder the blame for not ensuring the accuracy before the transaction was sent.

Alas traces etc can take time.

As for the next step: you can start their official complaints procedure and ask them to look into the issue if a resolution isn't forthcoming. You'll find it on their website and AFAIK each branch also has a dedicated person for quality issues with whom it may be worth talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

BuffyBot wrote: »
    AFAIK each branch also has a dedicated person for quality issues with whom it may be worth talking to.

SQA, service quality advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JackSparrow4

Thanks for the replies. I will contact them today for an update but at this stage I'd say the money is well gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Did you pay anything for the transfer? or was it free?

Section 39 of the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980

39.—Subject to section 40, in every contract for the supply of a service where the supplier is acting in the course of a business, the following terms are implied—

(a) that the supplier has the necessary skill to render the service,

(b) that he will supply the service with due skill, care and diligence,

• Advertisement
Advertisement