Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Persona game to start with?

Options
  • 27-04-2015 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Yeah sorry, I know this is probably not in the right thread. I've heard a lot of good things about Persona. It's concept interests me and I wanted to start playing a JRPG. Which one would be best to start with, for someone who owns a PS2, PS3, PSP and 3ds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Probably PSP version of P3: Portable (or PS2 P3: FES), then straight into P4.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭PKdude

I'm guessing the psp version is just the same as the ps2 version of Persona 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

PKdude wrote: »
    I'm guessing the psp version is just the same as the ps2 version of Persona 2?

Nope, the ps2 version is fully 3d, psp is menu based. You can play as a girl in the psp version too and can control all your party members in battle, not just the protagonist like in the ps2 version

Oh that's actually cool how they made it different. Which version do you prefer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I think the fourth game is the superior game in almost every respect, it would be well recommended to start with the third because the slight backwards leap in some mechanical ways (such as AI party members) would be jarring if you were to go the other way around. P3 is still a fantastic game, with a tone totally of its own and some wonderful characters, writing and settings, but P4 added those extra refinements that pushed it a notch above. As said, they're still both absolutely worth playing. I've only played P3: FES and P4 on the PS2, although certainly P4: Golden on the Vita seems like the definitive version if you have any plans on picking up the console.

There's also Persona Q on the 3DS, which is good, but is for people who have played 3 and 4 through first and foremost (although you could play it without that, you probably wouldn't enjoy it quite as much). It's a good, solid game (if overlong), but it's more Etrian Odyssey than Persona as it very obviously lacks the varied mechanics and robust storytelling that makes the main series so special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

PKdude wrote: »
    Oh that's actually cool how they made it different. Which version do you prefer?
    PSP version is better, it's quicker to play through just using menus but I did miss the 3d areas

While I think the fourth game is the superior game in almost every respect, it would be well recommended to start with the third because the slight backwards leap in some mechanical ways (such as AI party members) would be jarring if you were to go the other way around. P3 is still a fantastic game, with a tone totally of its own and some wonderful characters, writing and settings, but P4 added those extra refinements that pushed it a notch above. As said, they're still both absolutely worth playing. I've only played P3: FES and P4 on the PS2, although certainly P4: Golden on the Vita seems like the definitive version if you have any plans on picking up the console.

There's also Persona Q on the 3DS, which is good, but is for people who have played 3 and 4 through first and foremost (although you could play it without that, you probably wouldn't enjoy it quite as much). It's a good, solid game (if overlong), but it's more Etrian Odyssey than Persona as it very obviously lacks the varied mechanics and robust storytelling that makes the main series so special.

I might start with 3 then first, if I can somehow find it anywhere haha I think I may be able to purchase it on the Playstation Store.
    I don't know what FES is exactly, is it some expansion or something? And I don't think I'd be getting a Vita anytime soon sadly, maybe when it's cheaper.
    I was considering getting Persona Q but maybe sometime after I've played the 3rd and 4th game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

FES has a load of little refinements to the main game, and also a whole extra campaign (that's apparently around 30 hours long). I started playing the extra bit but sadly it was pure dungeon crawling without any of the other stuff that makes Persona interesting so lost interest pretty quickly.

Hmm okay. I'll probably start with P3 FES, if not that, then P3, then hopefully move to P4, followed by 3ds one.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I'd say just play 4 and get ready for 5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have access to Persona 3 FES there's no reason to play the original version since FES is the same game with some nice updates. The extra campaign is kind of pants unfortunately.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Persona 3 (any), then Persona 4 (any), then Persona Q if you have a 3DS.

If you really enjoyed them, go back to the other ones. I did but purely out of interest. P1 and 2 themselves are ok, not great.

Advertisement