Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Big Switch - yes or no?!

Options
  • 27-04-2015 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I just moved into a new house and the property agent set me up with Bord Gais for both gas and electricity..

I just got an email from One Big Switch and joined (there is a 7 day cooling off period) and got the below offer..

In conjunction with One Big Switch we are delighted that you’ve chosen Bord Gáis Energy for your gas and electricity. The great 12 month offer you’ve selected gives you the following:

10% gas discount*
    10% electricity discount*
    €120 back off your bill whenever you want
    1,000 Tesco Club Card points

This seems great to me but would love to know other people's opinions?
    First time using gas as have always been 100% electric!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Go to bonkers.ie and do a comparison to other companies that offer the same services.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

Go to bonkers.ie and do a comparison to other companies that offer the same services.

I did but because I haven't got a bill yet I can't really estimate usage.
    It's a minefield!

raemie10 wrote: »
    I did but because I haven't got a bill yet I can't really estimate usage.
    It's a minefield!

Use the national average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Energia doing 19% off stand alone and Flo gas 20% off stand alone right now .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Don't forget that these notional 10%, 15%, 20%, etc . . . off amounts are off their own standard rates which they more or less get to make up. They used to have to get the rates approved by CER, but I think that has changed now. Either way, I could set up a new provider and set my standard rate at (say) 40c/unit and offer you 50% off and still be more expensive than someone else who charges 18c/unit and gives no discount. You really need to look at the rate per unit and the standing charge and decide. As mentioned above just use the national average for starters, and then shake it up a little depending on what you estimate you use.

z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Did the property agent "sign you up" without your consent?
    If so I'd be reporting him to the Data Commissioner.

Would ya stop. Most bills are transferred into the new tenants name for the first day of the lease so there is a continuation of services. The existing tenants would have needed to remove their names to open an account where ever they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

There's always one crazy ;-)

Advertisement