Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Light Curtain for wedding

Options
  • 27-04-2015 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hey boys and girls,

Getting married in a few weeks and thought i'd have a go at repairing an old LED light curtain I found in storage at work.

It's powered from the mains and only a few of the strands are lighting - there were more before I unplugged them all for cleaning.

I've phase tested a few of the strands and seem to go through ok at a reading of 1.5V?

So is it a big job to repair?
    Does it matter in which sequence the strands are connected?
    Can I phase test the connection plug sockets??

Mfvs757.jpg

wvSST0b.jpg

A0EPrRA.jpg

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭nua domhan

no-one??

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Each strand is probably x amount of LEDs in series with each strand being in parallel. So if one dies it takes out the whole strand.

If you could test each LED individually and found the dud in each strand you could either bridge it or replace it. They will be relying on the forward voltage of each one to maintain the current in the strand but bridging one shouldn't cause any problems.

Chances are they're completely sealed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Is there a transformer between the mains and the lights? Does it say the output should be 1.5v?

If its the entire strand thats out in each case they prob have a fuse bulb that is blown. Like on xmas lights. There'll prob be one on each strand and it will be slightly different to the rest. Usually it will have a white tip. Replace each of these and it should get most of your lights back.

If there are any others gone relpace them.

if youve no replacement bulbs, you can prob short them with a piece of wire - but only do this if you are sure that its only 1.5v dc thats going through the lights. Dont take risks if youre not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Each strand is probably x amount of LEDs in series with each strand being in parallel. So if one dies it takes out the whole strand.

If you could test each LED individually and found the dud in each strand you could either bridge it or replace it. They will be relying on the forward voltage of each one to maintain the current in the strand but bridging one shouldn't cause any problems.

Chances are they're completely sealed though.

Oh are they LEDS not bulbs - forget the fuse bulb then.... what Chet said.

Advertisement