Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocate - Cahir or Clonmel?

Options
  • 27-04-2015 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I've never been to either but I've a second interview for a job based in Cahir later this week (interviews are in Dublin). I've googled a bit but would like some insider info!

I'm single, early 30s and know literally no-one in Tipperary. If you were me which town would appeal more? Initially I thought Cahir for convenience but from what little there is on google I'm not sue the social life would be up to much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Both are fine towns in fairness. Cahir is much smaller obviously but has a really nice feel to it. Clonmel has a much wider selection of facilities, pubs and social clubs etc., and might be a better choice if you are looking to get involved in that sort of thing.

Clonmel will be 20-30% dearer in terms of accommodation, don't know if that's a factor for you. In a house share situation it wouldn't matter much I guess but if you want your own place the difference could be significant.

Cashel is also lovely btw, would be about 15 mins to cahir down the motorway. It's about the same size as cahir but has much more of a buzz about it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

If you are going to house share and would like to make friends long or short term, Clonmel is the place, however if you are happy to live a single life Cahir is a lovely quiet place to live!

Furthermore it would be a lot easier to meet interesting house mates in Clonmel as there are many American companies based there who literally employ thousands of people.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

I have lived in both as a 'blow-in', my husband is a Clonmel man.

My preference would be to live in Cahir as I found it much more friendly and easier to make friends than Clonmel. Social life wise, people in the pubs in Cahir will talk to strangers, not so much in Clonmel. Generally a friendlier, small town feel to it.

However, if you are looking to live in a house share situation, then you really need to be looking at Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

Thanks so much for the feedback, much appreciated. I'm driving down at the weekend to take a look at all 3 (inc Cashel) just in case the job offer comes through. There doesn't seem to be too much in the way of apartments to rent or houseshares in Cahir so Clonmel and Cashel are edging up the list for that reason alone.

In terms of social life I just don't want to end up somewhere with nothing to do outside of the 9-5. Interesting comment on Cahir being more friendly - will have to test that this weekend.

Irwins in Cahir normally has bands on, Gatehouse bit more polished but younger crowd.
    Cahir has a good gym and lots of sporting clubs, recently set up a rowing club too.

It depends, if you are looking to settle and have a life wherever you choose, then I'd go for Cahir but if you're just going to work and then head back home for the weekend,Clonmel.

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    If you are going to house share and would like to make friends long or short term, Clonmel is the place, however if you are happy to live a single life Cahir is a lovely quiet place to live!

Furthermore it would be a lot easier to meet interesting house mates in Clonmel as there are many American companies based there who literally employ thousands of people.

so there are no married people in Cahir?:D

so there are no married people in Cahir?

Your post is not of much help to the poster who is making a genuine enquiry, maybe a more positive contribution would be appreciated!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Jaysus relax:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Came across this thread while browsing.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055378738

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Clonmel sounds like a better option for your situation.
    Cashel would be my personal favourite, less knackers than the others. Looks beautiful.

Clonmel would have more people like yourself in it. You wanna be meeting lads who're working and your own age and hav a social life outside boozing.

Cahir is a right dump. Thank fcuk you didn't mention tipp town. Worst hole in the county if not the country. I never found Carrick too bad but just passed through.

A good way to assess a place is the number of restaurants (excluding your chipper/Chinese )in it. There's a few in Clonmel and cashel. I'd say there's one each in tipp and cahir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

digzy wrote: »
    Clonmel sounds like a better option for your situation.
    Cashel would be my personal favourite, less knackers than the others. Looks beautiful.

Clonmel would have more people like yourself in it. You wanna be meeting lads who're working and your own age and hav a social life outside boozing.

Cahir is a right dump. Thank fcuk you didn't mention tipp town. Worst hole in the county if not the country. I never found Carrick too bad but just passed through.

A good way to assess a place is the number of restaurants (excluding your chipper/Chinese )in it. There's a few in Clonmel and cashel. I'd say there's one each in tipp and cahir.

Sorry but in what way is Cahir a dump? I don't live there or anything, but my impression of the place is of a well kept town, decent leisure centre, nice walks, beautiful castle, good selection of places to eat etc. There are plenty of places way worse off than Cahir in fairness.

Jaysus, you must have a right warped view if you think Carrick is 'alright' and Cahir a dump!!!!!!
    Every town has scumbags, except in Cahir, they keep to themselves and don't have punch ups every time they are out like in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

Thanks so much for the info everyone, much appreciated. I took a trip to all three last week armed with your recommendations.

Cahir had a lovely feel to it and I think if I already had some friends set up this would be my top choice as it's just got a great vibe, but as I don't know anyone yet in Tipp I think I'd regret moving there as it felt too small. Cashel didn't grab me at all, no reason in particular just wasn't keen on it. Clonmel had the least character of all three but for social/dating (yes really!) reasons it's my top choice. Busier and more choice with nightlife etc.

Was offered the job yesterday so delighted to be on the move finally, even if it's not to Cahir ;)

Congrats on the job!
    Clonmel may be handier to start off with and if you make friends in Cahir through work you could always move!
    As an aside, when you are looking to rent, don't touch Sinclair property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

Welcome to Tipperary.....Good luck with your job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

pooch90 wrote: »
    As an aside, when you are looking to rent, don't touch Sinclair property.

Do elaborate......

If you've lived in Clonmel at all you've heard the horror stories about them-keeping deposits, letting themselves into properties. My friend woke to find one of their agents in her bedroom.

Is Sinclair Properties the member of any professional body to which they are accountable to? Must say that I am not very impressed by their website.

Advertisement