Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRTS Exam Questions

• 27-04-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

All,

Came across this question : Test paper.
    Which of these complies with the ITU radio Regulations for a normal amateur radio call sign ?

A) EJ6
    B) 6EGJ
    C) 2E6J
    D) 2EJ6

I would have thought A, as EJ is a island of Ireland call sign, but the answer is C.
    Am I missing something.
    Open for idea's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

From the course guide

A normal amateur radio call sign contains three sections:
    one or two characters identifying the nationality of the operator (at least one character will be a letter : letter-number, number-letter or letter-letter combination is possible)
    a single digit (i.e. a number)
    a group of not more than four characters, the last of which must be a letter

You have to be careful to answer the question that is asked (it didnt ask which is a real callsign - it asked which complied with the regulation). In option C the country prefix is 2E (which acually is an English designation), then the number (6) and finally the suffix (J)

Option A only has the first 2 parts

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭gerry sat

Many Thanks,

But EJ 6 not correct as it is a official call sign. more of trick question ?

hamradio.ie/course-guide/modules/A2_Operating_Rules_and_Procedures/a2_2.html

Its not really a trick question - its not a callsign at all - you just saw the EJ bit and thought of Ireland! Again read the question - "Which of these complies with the ITU radio Regulations for a normal amateur radio call sign ?"

The question you are thinking of answering is "which of these is a real callsign?" and none of them would be the answer as all 2E callsigns seem to have 3 letters as a suffix AFAIK.

Just read the question slowly. In the exam take your time - you will have 2 hours. It only takes 30-40 minutes so just leave anything you are unsure of blank and go back afterwards.

Any more questions please ask!

Many Thanks,

Just found paper work, I was using comegs CEPT Class 1/2 licences which does not explain as well.

Stick to the course guide on hamradio.ie and it should explain things in a more straightforward manner. Personally the comreg site would be the last place I would look for info. Comregs site is only concerned with Irish stuff - ie Irish allocation of callsigns. But the amateur operator needs to be aware of callsign formats internationally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Quaderno

As a sidenote: even callsigns which don't conform with the regulations may be in use as actual callsigns, sometimes they are even quite popular. A good example for that would be EF6.

Quaderno wrote: »
    As a sidenote: even callsigns which don't conform with the regulations may be in use as actual callsigns, sometimes they are even quite popular. A good example for that would be EF6.

The regulations mentioned are for normal call signs as is the question the op refers to. I would imagine that comreg could allocate anything beginning with EI or EJ should they wish to do so if it is a "special" call. However they appear to follow convention. Again the devil is in the detail in the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We had EI13CLAN for the year of The Gathering.

That follows the rules for a normal call sign too.

That follows the rules for a normal call sign too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

But it would not be the correct answer if it was one of the multiple choices. As you said earlier it should be a single digit in the prefix. Anyway I know it is a special call and nearly anything goes.

We have this one for 2015.

EI9ØIARU

But it would not be the correct answer if it was one of the multiple choices. As you said earlier it should be a single digit in the prefix. Anyway I know it is a special call and nearly anything goes.

We have this one for 2015.

EI9ØIARU

I stand corrected. Anyway it is a good example of a question where more than one answer will "appear" to be correct at first glance and may catch the candidate out.

Got my results today and a very happy Future Ham Operator.

How long does it take to get my call sign, once I forward the money and fill out the paperwork ?

Regards,

Gerry

gerry sat wrote: »

How long does it take to get my call sign, once I forward the money and fill out the paperwork ?

Regards,

Gerry

Well done. I think it was around 10 or 11 days for me last December. The letters arrived out around 5th/6th December and I was on air on the 15th. I think a few got theirs quicker.

Ronan

Regards,

Gerry

Well done. I think it was around 10 or 11 days for me last December. The letters arrived out around 5th/6th December and I was on air on the 15th. I think a few got theirs quicker.

Ronan

Going to post tomorrow, so hopefully end of this month :)

I cant remember if there was a way to pay it online - if there is it would speed things up - sending a cheque will slow it all down. Have a read here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057339326 it will give you an idea of how long the last batch took but bear in mind there were only 8 candidates AFAIR. There should have been more this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cheques still exist?

I thought nothing official accepted them any more. If you have online banking you can use IBAN.

Congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Congratulations. I don't think I will have fared as well. Everything thing conspired against me study wise in the last few weeks so I am not hopeful when I get home. Knowing what I know now I should ace it in the Oct/Nov though.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Cheques still exist?

I thought nothing official accepted them any more. If you have online banking you can use IBAN.

Don't you worry - govt agencies will still accept them - they just wont pay anyone with them any more.
    FrostyJack wrote: »
    Congratulations. I don't think I will have fared as well. Everything thing conspired against me study wise in the last few weeks so I am not hopeful when I get home. Knowing what I know now I should ace it in the Oct/Nov though.

Just wait for the envelope - you may be surprised (hopefully)!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

thelordgod wrote: »
    Just wait for the envelope - you may be surprised (hopefully)!!

I wasn't surprised :( Roll on the Winter.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I wasn't surprised :( Roll on the Winter.

Just try again,
    The best of luck next time.

Must get ready for the CW now, always want to do morse, just something about da and dits,

Use to hear my old man, up all night banging away at the key, guess it's rubbed of to me.

I think the School Bus season tickets can't be paid for with Cheque any more. The State subsidies that, though Bus Eireann is the agency.

watty wrote: »
    I think the School Bus season tickets can't be paid for with Cheque any more. The State subsidies that, though Bus Eireann is the agency.

I know this has gone way off topic but for future reference here you are:
    buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=275#payments

Advertisement